RC Competitor

spectrum dsm and servo upgrade question

i was considering upgrading to a specktrum dsm transmitter and receiver, and also upgrading my steering and throttle servos, my question is which spectrum system to tou all recommend and what brand and model of servo is the best, thanks for any info u all can give me

RC Qualifier
    if you get the right set up they all come together, go on ebay and look up the spektrum dx 3.0 or go to the spektrum.com and see what they have.. the 3.0 is the middle one with everything included they are 250 on eaby you can get the less expensive one thats 150 or the more expensive one thats like 450 i think its all up to you and what you want to spend....
    Speed is the only way to go.

RC Competitor
    i looked at the dx3 and was trying to see if it has the built in failsake but the site doesn't say, and how good are the servos that come with it, spektrums website says that it comes with a standard race servo and a hi torque race servo

RC Qualifier
    yea they will work great and i have it sitting in the box still i am stillw ating for my other jato to come in and i am going to put the skektrum in that,,,, i do believe the fail safe is built right in, but forbes or leathel threat will answer that one too,,, give this thread like 12 hours and it will be filled with postes.....
    Speed is the only way to go.

RC Competitor
    hey thanks for the info jatoedcooger and if forbes and leathel are out there more info the better

RC Qualifier
    traxxas digetal............works
    CRAZY FAST=CRAZY AIR 50MPH SUPER WHEELIE BAD CURBS

RC Competitor
    traxxa digital what........servos or radio

Traxxas Marshal
    Traxxas doesn't make a digital radio system, so he must be referring to the Traxxas 2070 digital servo.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The spektrum radios have a failsafe for signal loss, but not voltage loss. They failsafe to the position that the throttle and steering were in when you bind the rx and tx.

The servos that are included are Z270(race servo) and Z590(other one, high torque). The 590 is a good metal geared servo and will work good for steering. You will need a new servo horn. Use the traxxas 2055 that was used for steering and use it for the throttle/brakes. The 270 is comparable to the stock throttle servo.

Why do you need the 3 channel for a Jato? The dx2.0 is the way to go if you don't need tons of fancy features on the $400 radio.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Competitor
    so if i use the specktrum servos i cannot use the servo horns that are on the stock servos, just checking

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Spektrum dx3.0 is awesome. It comes with 2 recievers, 1 normal servo, 1 high torque servo, 1 awesome remote that can do pretty much anything, battery holder. It has digital servos, it will switch if someone elts turns on another spektrum, up to 80 of them at a time I think, and built in fail safe.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Competitor
    but do i need to replace the servo horns or can i use the ones that came stock

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i found out the hard way that it doesnt have a voltage failsafe .i use the stock servo horns. or u can get the traxxas servo horns variety pack....im still runnin the stock steering servo.....but this will be my throttle/brake when she comes out in the spring.
    http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Tec...dID=JRPSZ9100S
    Last edited by jusleanit; 01-11-2008 at 12:14 AM.
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlidgey
    but do i need to replace the servo horns or can i use the ones that came stock
    Yea, you need to replace the horns. I am pretty shure you use the jr ones but it is in this set.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    he does not need to replace them. the stock ones work...im usin em. unless u talkin bout the joints the come on the servo and not the horns that came w/the truk itself. good lookin on the link, thats the pack i referred to him already if he decides to change em

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The stock ones will not work. You will need this set of servo horns to use the spektrum servos.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FVSEARCH=5545x.

The spline on the JR/Spektrum servos are not the same as futaba/traxxas

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea, trust me you need new horns for it to work correctly. I was wateing for a week because I didn't have the horns and no one wanted to go to the lhs.

RC Competitor
    thanks for all the info, are there any major differences between the dx3 and the dx2 other than the model memory

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda_tmaxx
    The stock ones will not work. You will need this set of servo horns to use the spektrum servos.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FVSEARCH=5545x.

The spline on the JR/Spektrum servos are not the same as futaba/traxxas
    well.....im usin the stock horns and have been usin em for over a year w/no issues... so id dunno wut to tell dude then

dx3 comes w/2 receivers.
    dx2 comes w/1 receiver....help me out guys...i think thats it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jusleanit
    well.....im usin the stock horns and have been usin em for over a year w/no issues... so id dunno wut to tell dude then

dx3 comes w/2 receivers.
    dx2 comes w/1 receiver....help me out guys...i think thats it
    You have gotten lucky so far.

As for model differences, the dx3.0 has a larger model memory than the dx2.0. The dx3.0 also has 3 channels.

RC Qualifier
    so i bought a dx 2.0 today at my lhs.. i got 4 cars, i know only 2 can run off this but they couldnt exactly tell me a straight answer.. if i bought 4 more recievers, can i use all 4 cars on this controller? or do i only need 2 recivers? im lost here lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Agitator
    so i bought a dx 2.0 today at my lhs.. i got 4 cars, i know only 2 can run off this but they couldnt exactly tell me a straight answer.. if i bought 4 more recievers, can i use all 4 cars on this controller? or do i only need 2 recivers? im lost here lol
    if you dx has only capability for two models then you can only run two cars off it
    i know the dx3 has a 4 model capability then you would be in buisness
    drive it like you stole it !!!!!

RC Qualifier
    i thought the dx 3 has a 3 model capability? the dx has 2.. thats the only difference.. even so so i do need to get another reciever in order to run 2 cars off of it right?
    Nitro Stampede R*I*P
    Jato 3.3
    Losi XXX-t mf2

Traxxas Marshal
    I'm not sure about the model memory, but the DX3 is also a 3 channel radio. The DX2 is only a 2 channel radio. You'll really only need the third channel if you have a larger truck with the need to shift. The DX3 should come with 2 receivers, I believe, but yes, you'd need two receivers. One for each vehicle. Unless you wanted to use the same receiver for each vehicle, I suppose.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle