RC poster

Question HPI MT2 or Losi XXX-NT or Jato

So I know this is the jato forum so I'm going to get a lot of "get the JATO! It ROCKS!!! "

But really... the Losi the HPI MT2 or the Jato? (don't need a link there do I?)

So some pros and cons for the jato, or the MT2 or XXX-NT.

Thanks for the help.
    (T-maxx .15 owner)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Whell the jato has the traxxas name in it. But back to performance, the jato is faster than both of those. The advantage of getting the other ones is that if you took them to a roar event you wouldn't have to spend more money makeing the jato aloud to race in the stadium truck events.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC poster
    Well like he said, th0e jato is the fastest. I'm kinda at the same delima(HPI MT2, Losi XXX-nt, or Associated RC10.0). I have a Jato 2.5 and love it as a backyard bash truck. On the other hand as track truck, it really lacks, stock out of the box. As far as durabillity, and suspension tunning you can spend the money on the jato to make it equal to the others stock. Nothing is better to me on my jato than the electric start. At my LHS they said the ditch it if I intend to track race it. One feature I like about the MT2 is it's a 4wd(easier to drive). Losi is a very good company. I'm not realy sure Which one I'm gonna get probably the HPi to be different.
    Fix it then break it again

RC Qualifier
    Get the JATOOOOOOO 3.3 its amazing truck/car i love it... plus you can do an endless amount of upgreades and it is a blast but speed is right to race it you will have to do some mods.... single speed trany is one of them ..
    Speed is the only way to go.

RC Qualifier
    KMW ditch the electric start get a pull start its good for weight reduction as well... you can always put it back on..

RC poster
    Every one says so but i love the electric start>
    Fix it then break it again

RC Qualifier
    lol have you ever used the pull start,,, its not really any different what you man have to use some elbo grease common now lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by JatoedCooger
    Get the JATOOOOOOO 3.3 its amazing truck/car i love it... plus you can do an endless amount of upgreades and it is a blast but speed is right to race it you will have to do some mods.... single speed trany is one of them ..
    lol yea, there are endless upgrades that you can do to it. That isn't allways the best thing, makes me want to spend money. I have allredy spent more than $1,000 on it and I have a list of about $400-$500 parts I want. I think I am going to stop upgradeing for now till the part brakes. I need to start saveing up for a t-maxx.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Qualifier
    lol yea thats what alot of people say wait till it breaks then fix it, but i would rather upgrade it anawys and hopefully it doesnt break..

RC poster

Sounds good

Yeah i was looking at the MT-2 because of the 4WD and the losi just because it's a losi, but i'm looking for a good car within the budget. i found the MT2 for 350 at my hobby shop and like what n3.3d_for_sp33d said, there are endless upgrades to the jato, but you also have to upgrade it to get it to be the "stock quality" of the MT2 or xxx-nt. i guess i just have a REALLY old T-maxx and anything would be an upgrade.

So i'm leaning toward the HPI MT2. it would be fun to put it on a track, but i'm more of the woodsy runner. there is a track here i'm going to join, just to run on a track. (never been on a track before ) so we'll see how that goes.

thanks for the input.

side note, anyone know anything about RC heli's? i know this isn't the right place but i figured i'd ask... thanks again.

RC Champion
    Jato 3.3 all the way man, for sure...the jato is just as durable as any of those other trucks IMO...as long as you can control it's insane power...lol...but seriously all the jato needs to be near bullet proof is the RPM bumper and front/rear a-arms and the New Era top plate brace (which all can be bought for ~ $40)...the front end of the truck is really its only weak point on it, unless you start putting a ton of aluminum stuff on it, like the a-arms and shock towers...if you put any of those parts on it and they are aluminum your looking at broken parts if you crash...i say go jato, you will not be disappointed, just don't load it up with allot of aluminum parts...
    "Growing OLD is mandatory, Growing UP is optional"

RC Qualifier
    OWENRG you should go with the jato 3.3 its a beast and you really dont have to upgrade anything,, its great right out of the box just upgrade things as they break if you dont want to spend the money right away..... also about the helicopters yea i know a little bit i have doing some-research on them cuase i am thinking about looking into one in the summer..... however they are expensive and to get a good one and a good radio kit you looking at atleast a grand for good stuff... and to be totally honesty with you anything that flys in the air and i am going to sepnd money on i am going to get a good one.... you buy cheap stuff you get cheap products so.........also they burn fuel like its going out of style. but w.e.

RC Qualifier
    i would get the HPI FIRESTORM
    i like it more than my jato
    I started JATO all others are IMITATORS!

RC Qualifier
    wow really thats crazy,,,i dont think that i would ever trade in my trade for soemthing else i love it to much lol

RC Qualifier
    i have an mt2 and love it its great for racing plus its 4wd vs 2 like the jato so better accelaertain plus dosnt spin out if u floor it
    pm me with what BRUSHED motor for rusty

Quote Originally Posted by redck1979
    Jato 3.3 all the way man, for sure...the jato is just as durable as any of those other trucks IMO...as long as you can control it's ...
    that's the words from the man..
    myself thinking & thinking of buying another truck but i can't find a match
    for the jato.

even traxxas upgraded almost all of their favorite line up trucks with new versions except
    the jato. That's should give a clue here.

RC Champion
    The jato
    pros
    fast
    amazing accel
    durable
    awsome street machine
    awsome offroader
    Traxxas support
    nice engine for its size
    handles great
    many aftermarket parks

MT2
    nice stance
    very stable offroad
    great jumper
    4 wheel drive
    great offroad basher

cons
    less durable
    not as fast

I couldnt think of any cons for the jato. The jato is just a way better truck. I dont know much about losi though

The nitro rustler is way better than the mt2. I was in your same position. The jato,mt2 or n rustler
    You can only have 2
    Cheap-Performance-Reliability

RC Competitor
    I've got a Jato 3.3 and an MT2 18SS. I like them both. The Jato is great running on road, and it's fast as ****. The MT2 is more stable, the handling is very nimble. I like the 4wd, and more stable jumping of the MT2.
    I haven't run the MT2 as long as the Jato, so I can't argue for durability. I haven't broken the MT2, but every time I break the Jato it's my fault. (clip something and break a control arm)
    The Jato is also 2 speed vs the MT2 single speed. I think the MT2 is better suited for a race rig, especially in a dirt track.
    -David
    T-Maxx 3.3 (2)
    Sidewinder Slash
    Jato 3.3

RC Champion
    I would say get the Jato, its pretty easy to get running and the only thing I have ever had probs with are the stock a-arms. Just get the RPM ones and you are good to go. And it is blazing fast, for a track for just leasure play on it mostly you have to adjust the shock and get some offroad wheels(that would be dependant on your track). Even tho the MT2 is 4wd I would go for the jato mostly for its speed, durability, traxxas suppport, and ERP(engine replacement plan). It will not let you down(not unless you hit a parked car doing 60 ).
    R/C is expensive...

RC Qualifier
    actually the mt2's probley a little more durable. my neighbor had a jato 3.3 hit a tree at half broke the whole front off - my mt2, about 45mph jumps face on to concrete a little bent a arm. plus its way better for racing on or off road im planing to my 3.3 in it this summer!!!

RC Qualifier
    well like was said earlier you put an RPM bumper and A-arms on it, it's almost bulletproof I cracked a mailbox post head on with an Rpm bumper and drove away
    Billy
    T-Maxx 3.3 Jato 3.3

RC Qualifier
    me??? on the mt2

RC Qualifier
    Ye man. The Jato is just rediculouse. Just like the castle creations with the new E-REvo brushless. Jato should come with RPM. hahhaa. but seriously. Its jato full stop. nothing is tougher. nothing is faster. nothing is cooler. nothing has more aftermarket parts than the Traxxas jato. its just sick.
    O.S.|HiTech|RPM|THS|50wt

RC Qualifier
    You guys crack me up. You're in denial if you believe the Jato is anything other than a basher. Nothing wrong with this, but to think it can race is a joke. Straight line speed is about all it's got. It's just too heavy to be competitive offroad. With a ROAR legal .12 engine, it's hauling too much pork. So enjoy it for what it is - a basher.

For $350 you can get a LosiXXX-NT Adam Drake 2 kit and nothing is going to touch you offroad. BTW, you do know who Adam Drake is, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by NitroExpress
    ...It's just too heavy to be competitive offroad.. ....
    it's one of the most light weight trucks. as long it's doing wheelie offroad ..without mentinong it's stock more than enough powerful engine.
    so what else can any other staduim truck would do better ?
    one skillful guy to control it in any race, and it's a winner.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert JATO
    it's one of the most light weight trucks. as long it's doing wheelie offroad ..without mentinong it's stock more than enough powerful engine.
    so what else can any other staduim truck would do better ?
    one skillful guy to control it in any race, and it's a winner.
    When comparing race vehicles, you have to take the driver out of the picture. Performance is 80% driver. You also have to consider that the Jato was never designed as a race truck, it's a fun truck and it's one of the heaviest. Compared to a purpose designed race trucks, it suffers. Just a fact of life. Does a person want to race or bash? Seldom can one vehicle excel at both.

RC Champion
    Oh dear another argument...I have to go with jato on this one... I have to admit that the Losi cars are extremely good out of the box, but the jato with proper driving skills and good setup will keep up with the losi(if not anahilate it). The jato is not very heavy either...It does have a 2 speed wich adds a little to the weight(extra plastic and such). But in defence to NitroExpress, the jato takes quit a bit of effort to get it race ready like the losi's.
    R/C is expensive...

RC Qualifier
    over the MT2 .... i'd recommend a

Lightning stadium GT 10!!!! anyday

got 8 suspensions....4wd and 14mm hex

so you can run big wheels!

2.5cc engine though....that defo gotta come out

much much cheaper too

Go with the JATO 3.3 it rocks!!!

RC Enthusiast
    is the jato good off road?? im also hesitating between a jato and a mt2...why is the mt2 slow? because of the engine? coz i plan on changing it anyway...

There are some good trucks out there! But jato by far is the fastest stock truck out the box by far! Like they said there are countless updrades u can do 2 it!!

If it aint nitro dont buy it!!!

RC Qualifier
    My Jato does OK off road, but it is 2wd. When the power is on, the front wheels are getting NO traction, so turning only happens with minimal power applied!
    US Navy retired, now - FAA air traffic controller

Look my man! Get u some jaco foam tires & open pavement then u will be the man!

If it ain't nitro don't buy it!!!

RC Enthusiast
    The Jato was my first nitro model, and I am 100% satisfied. I am however, a pure basher though I don't try to race anyone. I would like to get the jato to a track to see how skilled I am at driving it.... Sure it would surprise me how bad I really am. I have a buddy that used to race every weekend he lives by Losi and custom Truggy's he tried to talk me out of the Jato =) said his truggy could get the jato on the street in a straight line!!! Lol..... He bought one after we raced and keeps his others for the track. I would say the Jato is a great truck if you just want to play with it but I don't have much XP when it comes to racing. I would say JATO anyways just because I am 100% biased.
    I drive it like I stole it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by owenrg

side note, anyone know anything about RC heli's? i know this isn't the right place but i figured i'd ask... thanks again.
    I sold my Thunder Tiger Raptor Heli and bought the Jato. That thing was almost impossible to fly and I spent hours with a simulator. Unless you like crashing a lot, spending HOURS just trying to get good enough to hover and spending TONS of money on parts....stick with fixed wing planes or RC cars. Heli's are a HUGE commitment.

RC Enthusiast
    i would go with the jato.my friend has an mt2 and he doesent even like it.the drivetrain is super weak.the engine is gargabe.just to get the spur off you have to take about half the truck apart.he had the version with the .15 he blew 2 of them.then when he got an os 18 it was to much power for it.the diffs are super weak,the design is bad.the basically only good thing about the mt2 is that its 4wd.other wise the jato is better in every single way

RC Enthusiast
    wat bou the hpi bullet?

RC Qualifier
    The Jato is brutal. I've said my piece on it already. BUT, however, I think the biggest point would be support. Local - at your LHS, online - from the manufacturer, and parts from online - Ebay etc. That is what made my decision to go with Traxxas.
    US Navy retired, now - FAA air traffic controller