Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier

How to fix sloppy 3905 steering linkage?

I've got my new 3905 sitting here and am just waiting for connectors and batteries when I was looking it over and found the steering has allot of slop in it. The non servo saver arm looks to be the main problem and the bar from toe link to toe link is a little sloppy. When I flip the truck onto it's body mounts and wiggle the wheels it's very pronounced. Definately enough to have a control problem at full speed.
    What have others done to cure this?
    I was thinking I need bearings in the arm and maybe shimms in the bar link hole where the screw goes through to the arm. What size bearing do I need for the non-saver arm to replace the crappy bushing

RC Qualifier
    I also have this problem..not sure if its normal. Could be
    E-Revo / Castle Creations 2200Kv

RC Qualifier
    Same thing here.

RC Qualifier
    I'm going to call Traxxas on this one. I'll let you all know

RC Qualifier
    hopefully aftermarket will give us a single arm like the revo that will get rid of the stock linkage and run a single servo setup
    ERevo Neu 1515/1y MMM5s
    MiniRevo Neu 1110/1y MM3s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For what its worth, any aftermarket setup for the older emaxx will work fine on the new one, single servo or otherwise really.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Qualifier
    I called them and the guy I talked to pulled a E-maxx from the board room and looked it over and found the same thing. He stated that there have been no issues reported about it and that it was normal for "monster trucks".

I plan on 1st getting some bearings for the slave side of linkage and shim the rest or get another servo saver side of the linkage and putting it on the problem side with another super shart linkage from second servo to second saver.

RC Qualifier
    sounds like that might help.
    thanks for keeping us posted.
    3905, TeknoNeu 1515/1Y, MMM on 6s & lovin it!

RC Qualifier

notnodak is genious!!!

notnodak, i don't know if you've tried your two servo saver plan, but i did!!!
    and it's beautiful!!! slop = 0.

here is the before picture with all the slop in the world (pictures taken with the servos on):

so i take off the skid plate:

and remove the bellcranks. you can see that the two posts are different:

dremel time. now both sides are the same:

and then drop two servo savers with bearing in. also add a second short link to tighten things up further. solid:

now back together, slop is gone!

best $6 bucks i ever spent! (i got the whole steering setup off ebay!)
    i haven't driven it yet (just finished) but tomorrow i will.

RC Champion
    that looks sweet, update tomorrow !

RC Champion
    wow..thats very nice! mine has slop as well , but i dont notice any harm done when im driving the truck...but im only running on 7 cells...anybody with brushless power and does your truck have this sorta slop too? does it affect your driving?

RC Qualifier
    Thats exactly what I was thinking, I had a similar setup on my old maxx and it worked excellantly. I'm ordering that now

RC Competitor
    This is the best mod that I have seen for the 3905. THANX Notnodak and FunkedOut. I was convinced that it was all tires and rims that kept me from really gearing up, but as soon as I did this mod, all the high speed stability came back, MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE, pure genius!!!!!! This mod is worth ten times what it costs to do if you are taller than 20/58, makes 22/54 easy as pie. THX AGAIN GUYS.
    'Supercoolin'
    Gorrilla Snawt Synthetic Grease

RC Champion
    man makes me wanna do this mod too now!! i think i sorta know what needs to be done...good thing for them pictures. only problem i dont understand are the parts i need to buy. you said a servo saver, bearings , short link?? would it be possible for someone to give me actual links on ebay so i can be sure im not buying the wrong items.

very much appreciated!

RC Enthusiast
    wow nice job the both of you. now what can you do for my mini-t lol
    Emaxx Mini-t

RC Qualifier

update

i took it out today and oh yes, worth every minute of "work"
    now i can aim it at the 2' wide ramp from the other side of the yard and gun it without having to correct the directions it used to suddenly take after hitting bumps and things.
    it tracks like a dream.
    very happy.

some more thoughts:

how much you cut off of the post, directly determines how soft/stiff the newly installed servo saver will be.
    if you cut more, it will give before the other saver and the amount of force needed to activate the saver will be the same.
    if you cut less (like i did), the original servo saver will give before the newly installed servo saver, resulting in a stiffer saver than stock.
    i hit the wheels pretty good today at an angle and the servos are fine. i couldn't make the savers flex like i used to, though.

looking at those pics, i wonder...
    is the drag link even needed anymore?
    it's not doing any harm anyway.

RC Qualifier
    Glad I read this thread. Was having some slop issues on my 3906 and was planning on getting the new bellcrank from the 3905. Sound like there was the same problem with it. At least until some great thinking you guys. I was using the pro line steering servo saver kit on the 3906. When I get a chance I will try to add the other servo saver in similar fashion as you guys came up with. If not I will order two bellcranks from the new maxx.

Good work!
    Authorization Not Required.

RC Qualifier
    Glad it worked for you FunkOut I'm still waiting for the good E-Bay deal to do this but I might just get them from Tower if I get too impatient. I'd keep the drag link just for sake of keping the sink and leveling out hard hits to both savers. Besides I'll be gatting a fancy Traxxas link to put in mine for waight savering and bling.

RC Qualifier
    yeah, thought about it and,
    if you remove the drag link, you only have one servo pushing against the servo saver; probably not enough torque to activate it.
    drag link stays.

if anything, one of the short links comes out if they can sit right without the servos fighting each other; hasn't been a problem.

RC Qualifier
    FunkedOut, I just got my linkage and had to pay $14.45 shipped. I guess words out now. I should have gotten it when I 1st thought about it, my bad. I'll poeost pics during and when I'm done. I'll try to get even spacing to equalize the spring tension but I'm planing on shimming a little to tighten, maybe.

RC Champion
    hey notnodak, can you send me a link on ebay so i know what linkage you guys are talking about? im very interested in doing this mod myself.

thanks ahead of time much appreciated!

RC Qualifier
    Sure I'll go get it now.

Edit: here it is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3D4%26ps%3D42

RC Champion
    dang i need all that? haha now they raised the rprice again. will i need anything else?

RC Competitor
    Traxxas send me a new one for free because i couldn't find a new in rc shops.
    Traxxas E-maxx 3905 HV 6.5
    Xray XT8

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by blueb8llz
    dang i need all that? haha now they raised the rprice again. will i need anything else?
    Heres a parts list of what you'll need if bought seperate.
    price - part#
    $2.39 - 2579 3x15 screw
    $5.79 - 3968 the short linkage
    $8.59 - 4945 saver assembly
    $3.39 - 5116 x2 5x11x4 sealed bearings
    total $20.16
    these are all Tower parts costs

All you really need is the saver assembly but to buy individual the prices go up. Think of it this way. You'll have twice the stability and better than new steering. For those who like to RockCrawl this is a must.

Now for the other side of this. I've entertained the thought of getting one good steering servo to save weight. Even if you go to a single servo you will still want to get the second saver and cut off the back end and maybe glue it solid to stabilize the steering. The second saver has bigger/better bearings then just adding little bearings to the stock slave arm.
    Last edited by notnodak; 03-20-2008 at 09:28 AM.

RC Qualifier
    i couldn't find bearing to fit where the bushings go on the slave side, but i would imagine that would work fine too, if you could find some.

notnodak, before shimming, i would suggest not cutting off as much. then cut more if you need to. shimming it when you've cut too much.

RC Champion
    lemme get this straight cus im not even totally sure how to do this mod. but from looking at the pictures...it seems like all im doing is basically making the left side look exactly like the right side. and the only mod is just shaving/cutting off that pole that is sticking out? if that is, this does not look very hard to do...thanks for the great thinking and actually doing it! am i missing any part of the mod?

RC Qualifier
    lemme get this straight cus im not even totally sure how to do this mod. but from looking at the pictures...it seems like all im doing is basically making the left side look exactly like the right side. and the only mod is just shaving/cutting off that pole that is sticking out?
    yes.

if that is, this does not look very hard to do...thanks for the great thinking and actually doing it! am i missing any part of the mod?
    no.

buy parts, cut post off, install parts.

RC Champion
    coo.. thanks for your help! cant wait to do the mod. although i dont notice anything with my handling, but im thinking ahead when i go insane speeds with the MMM.

RC Qualifier

tech bulletin update

i stripped my servo gears because the newly installed saver was on too tight; i left too much on the chassis' post. rather than try to take it down further, i just removed this link here and all is well.

RC Champion
    when you say you left too much on the chassis post..are you meaning the part where you dremeled that post? like you should have shaved it shorter? and so now that you took off that link (blinking red in picture) it works fine?

RC Qualifier
    when you say you left too much on the chassis post..are you meaning the part where you dremeled that post?
    yep

like you should have shaved it shorter?
    yep

and so now that you took off that link (blinking red in picture) it works fine?
    yep

RC Qualifier
    I've got mine and will install tonite or Saturday

RC Qualifier
    I put it all together and this is what traxxas should have done from the get go. It steers allot better and trackes very good at high speed. I even disconnected the servos and everything is super smooth.
    I see that this mod has gotten to the public now too http://members.cox.net/gorilla_snawt/

I used all the linkage like the 1st pics and if I strip the servos I'll get Metal geared ones or go super torque single.

One thing I did see when doing the mod is that you have to mimic the other side exactly when you cut it, even the little lip the bearing rides on so it doesn't bind.

RC Champion
    i did the mod, awesome steering now, got parts to do my other maxx too, buytraxxas.com has the parts supercoolin lists on that site. Couldnt find any anywhere else.(bay'ed the 1st set) Good job Notnodat for thinkin it up, funkedout for having the balls to be the guinae pig and posting it, and supercoolin for listing the parts and even more detailed pics. Id like to thank god and Traxxas too oh yeah and my moms for making all this possible peace and godbless !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by notnodak
    One thing I did see when doing the mod is that you have to mimic the other side exactly when you cut it, even the little lip the bearing rides on so it doesn't bind.
    yep. i noticed that lip too and if you cut the post taller in the middle, dropping down the further you get from the center, the bearing doesn't bind. just have to hold the dremel at an angle while sanding it.

RC Qualifier
    Dremel's my friend too.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay283
    i did the mod, awesome steering now, got parts to do my other maxx too, buytraxxas.com has the parts supercoolin lists on that site. Couldnt find any anywhere else.(bay'ed the 1st set) Good job Notnodat for thinkin it up, funkedout for having the balls to be the guinae pig and posting it, and supercoolin for listing the parts and even more detailed pics. Id like to thank god and Traxxas too oh yeah and my moms for making all this possible peace and godbless !
    Hilarious...lol!

RC poster
    just wanted to say I did this mod too tonight while at work. I broke my chassis A few days ago and Traxxas was kind enough to send me a new one for free, and so while I had the truck completely tore apart to replace the chassis I decided to go ahead and fix the sloppy steering.

thanks guys for the info!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...183/pieces.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...enchassis4.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...enchassis3.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...enchassis2.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...kenchassis.jpg

RC Qualifier
    Is this slop something that comes with age? My few week old emaxx has no slop at all. I just have the buzzing in the servos. From new it was a constant buzz. Now after adjustment it only does it occasionally.

FUNKEDOUT: Doesn't removing that link completely defeat the purpose of the second servo saver? Maybe i'm missing the big picture here.
    Last edited by 4-wheelin; 04-18-2008 at 08:37 AM.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast