RC Enthusiast

Setting carb back to "STOCK" settings?

Hello all! I have a 3.3 t-maxx, and in the manual it says to set the HSN "4" turns out from closed, and the LSN flush with the slide body. I understand the LSN setting, but im a bit confused with the HSN setting. Do I turn the HSN "CLOCKWISE" (in other words DOWN) till it stops (Is that what they mean by closed) then do 4 full turns "counterclock-wise" will this be the correct way of doing this, or am I doing it wrong? Thank you **EDIT** I just put on the traxxas tuned aluminum pipe on it, and it is just running pretty bad. I am under the understanding that I need to richen up the HSN a bit, but the problem I have it that my neighbor who thinks he knows everything, messed with the settings, and now there all over the place. Any tips you may have for tunning the carb with a tuned pipe, please could you share them with me...... Thanks
    Last edited by newls1; 02-15-2008 at 08:55 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yes you turn the needles closed all the way (dont overtighten) then back them out. The LSN is 1 3/4 turns or flush and the HSN is 4 like you mentioned. You will have to richen your settings a bit for the blue tuned pipe like you had mentioned too
    Werks powered Mugen MBX6T!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cmckella
    yes you turn the needles closed all the way (dont overtighten) then back them out. The LSN is 1 3/4 turns or flush and the HSN is 4 like you mentioned. You will have to richen your settings a bit for the blue tuned pipe like you had mentioned too
    I dont have the "BLUE" pipe, as my LHS said that is more tuned for the 2.5trx engine. I have this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMJH1&P=SM

Quote Originally Posted by newls1
    I dont have the "BLUE" pipe, as my LHS said that is more tuned for the 2.5trx engine. I have this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMJH1&P=SM
    Nice pipe! Good choice! Yes your factory needles settings are just as cmc described.
    The DC Resonator will require a slight adjustment richer to compensate for the increased flow.
    Happy tuning
    With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the resonator is another great pipe, you will have to richen your truck still
    Werks powered Mugen MBX6T!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    OK, i've almost had to make a FULL ROTATION 'counter-clockwise" to get the temps back to the 210-235 range. People are saying a "slight" richer, but i've had to do complete full turn, does this sound normal? Also, what else is weird is that the temps sometimes go all over the place. 1 minute it is 200f, then one full throttle run down the street, and back, my temp gauge reads nearly 270f. There is so much blue smoke coming out, that its crazy. What the heck is going on? I've played with the needles all day, set them back to stock 3 times already today, and just finding an idle is hard enough LOL! The motor had maybe at most 10 tanks through it, and was broken in correctly. It just seems that this truck will not hold a tune. This is the weirdest nitro truck i've ever owned. My Savage X 4.6 is so much easier, and has held its tune forever it seems.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Have you richened the lsn too? The hsn and lsn work together. You might be too rich on the hsn that's why you see a lot of smoke but still too lean on the lsn. Check for leaks too since you said that the temp is erratic at times.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Enthusiast
    well full throttle is going to produce more heat then just slowly driving around. 270 is getting pretty hot for these engines though. i dont know....

RC Champion
    First advice I have is to pull the pipe off, put the stock pipe back on and learn to tune the motor better. I am not trying to be mean or nasty, but if you have issues tuning, you need to work those out before putting mods that will affect the tune.

Follow the tuning guide at the top of the forums and do a search on YouTube for videos, there are some Savage ones that show how lean and rich sound that are really great. Find yourself a nice open parking lot and give yourself a good amount of time and practice. That advice was given to me by NN and it worked great. I'm still not the best tuner, but doesn't take more than a couple of high speed runs to get mine dialed in after it warmed up.

Just my .02.
    When all else fails....10lb sledge hammer.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DuaneGlass
    First advice I have is to pull the pipe off, put the stock pipe back on and learn to tune the motor better. I am not trying to be mean or nasty, but if you have issues tuning, you need to work those out before putting mods that will affect the tune.

Follow the tuning guide at the top of the forums and do a search on YouTube for videos, there are some Savage ones that show how lean and rich sound that are really great. Find yourself a nice open parking lot and give yourself a good amount of time and practice. That advice was given to me by NN and it worked great. I'm still not the best tuner, but doesn't take more than a couple of high speed runs to get mine dialed in after it warmed up.

Just my .02.
    You are totally correct, however I have done this countless times. I can run 4/5 tanks of gas through the truck (with body on) and temps will not exceed 235 PERIOD!!! (I have the onboard traxxes temp LCD gauge) Then I'll fill it up again and boom, now temps for some reason are 260-270f for no reason. Weather conditions havent changed at all, i'll do a full throttle run down the street, and when it comes back it will say 175f and wont exceed 200f no matter what I do, and it wont shift into 2nd gear cause the motor is no running so rich. Now you see what im saying, the engine wont hold a tune, and I now have no head hair left cause i've pulled it all out . This is strange isnt it? Im not a total n00b, but am no professional by any means, but i've been tinkering with nitro trucks for the past 6 years, and never had this issue before. I have no leaks what so ever, I just replaced the fuel lines, and this motor only has MAYBE 14/15 tanks through it now. This is the second engine in this t-maxx 3.3 as my original one broke from a very hard landing and hitting concrete steps upside down . I broke this engine in correctly, and always set piston to dead bottom of the stroke, and spray some WD-40 in the carb and engine when the motor sits for more then 4+ hours. I take care of my stuff as best as possible.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had the EXACT same problem with my 3.3. A problem which none of my other 4 nitro motors give me. The engine was all over the map like yours. One minute it was running great, the next day I couldn't start it (and no, there wasn't any big weather changes). It was, and still is basically, brand new. And I tried 2 different kinds of fuel.

So you know what I did? Instead of spending $65 trying a rebuild to see if it would help, I just bought a different engine made by a company with a GREAT reputation for good small block engines... OS.

You see when he says he turned his needles back to factory settings 4 times and the engine is still giving him grief? That makes me assume it's the engine at fault, not the tuner.

From my time here on the forums I've found that most people either LOVE their TRX engine, or hate it. They seem to be hit and miss.
    complete n00blet

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuskony
    I had the EXACT same problem with my 3.3. A problem which none of my other 4 nitro motors give me. The engine was all over the map like yours. One minute it was running great, the next day I couldn't start it (and no, there wasn't any big weather changes). It was, and still is basically, brand new. And I tried 2 different kinds of fuel.

So you know what I did? Instead of spending $65 trying a rebuild to see if it would help, I just bought a different engine made by a company with a GREAT reputation for good small block engines... OS.

You see when he says he turned his needles back to factory settings 4 times and the engine is still giving him grief? That makes me assume it's the engine at fault, not the tuner.

From my time here on the forums I've found that most people either LOVE their TRX engine, or hate it. They seem to be hit and miss.
    I think I have to agree with you. What is the most powerful OS engine that will 100% fit in the stock body. I have my Savage X 4.6 and my soon to be coming Savage XL for big block fun

RC Champion
    OS .21 should fit real nice

RC poster
    hey i also had to retune my 3.3 and for some reson it wont idle low it keeps idleing high wear it goes about five mph and i have messed with the idle all the time what may be roung

You get the idle down by richening the LSN.

How did you mess with the idle?
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    wow, weird. i was gonna start the same thread, my 2.5r does the exact same thing ( not running away though) when it starts acting that way i just dump the fuel out, and apply ARO. the next time i run ( or the next few times) it runs great

RC poster
    Hi im a new member .my car is traxxas t max 2,5 nitro.about 8 years old not a lot of use ,as nearly every time i take it out it,s out of tune little bit,my hsl is 3 turns out, & lsn 2 turns runs very fast but a lot of blue smoke & spits out oily fuel on tickover,using 20% nitro fuel,

RC poster
    very good advice,i will check my 2.5 for air leaks tomorrow & check my lsn=as my truck runs very well but to much blue smoke,it,s so good to get proper help/advice on this model=i think all traxxas need constant tuning every season.

RC Competitor
    I went thru the same thing, my 3.3 would run perfect one tank, then flood at 1/2 throttle the next. This was right after the break in. I chased the tune, then chased the air leak. On mine it was the backplate o ring. Once the motor gets a few tanks it starts over heating. I put RTV to help the o ring and it worked like a charm.

Just set the thing back to factory, tune the HSN asbest is it will then do the pinch test for the LSN.

This method in this link should get you dialed in.
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...ul-Tuning-tips
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall