Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC Champion

is there a middle skid plate available for the 3905 emaxx?

im looking to purchase a skid plate that goes on the middle bottom part of the chassis. i had one on my old emaxx but it doesnt fit the new one cus the new one is slighty longer. i want to cover the middle because once i had weeds stuck in the differentials and it twisted them up completely. i know the new emaxx has thicker 3.3 diffs, but im sure they can still twist if i got some thick weeds stuck in there. so i rather jus buy a skid plate that will cover the whole bottom middle part...any one know where i can buy one?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nowhere sells one...yet, but the RPM center wearplate can be modified to fit- just need to drill some new holes I believe.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    the 3905 already has a center skid plate on the truck
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Champion
    69Malibu speaks the truth. The 3905 comes with one. but if for some reason you wanted a new one or one for the 3906, get some 1/8 aluminum or plastic, cut it to shape, adnd drill some holes. pretty easy!
    Mud-Maxx
    NEU 1515 1.5D MM 4s

RC Champion
    the new one has a middle plate but its not covering the part directly below the those two things that connect the drive shafts. the middle is covered but not the part in front and back of the middle ...not the front and back of truck but its still in the middle but just in front of the middle skid plate.
    and rpm one wont fit.. the curve is off in the front so even making new holes wont work. i guess i can just make my own, but just rather not.

RC Qualifier
    The 3905 skid works well it is angled up at both ends not easy to get stuff in there. I wish they were thicker though. I have been hitting rock hard snow banks with no issues. 25f out , banks are ice, hard as rock.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the middle skid on the 3905 doesnt let much in. and keeps everything nice and safe.

RC Champion
    i dont think you guys are understanding me. im talking bout that part right underneath the servo link on the front. i guess ill just duct tape it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    no skid plate without covering the entire under area will protect that area.

RC Champion
    thats what im looking for. im looking for a plate to cover the entire bottom chassis.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i doubt anything is available. most likely will be way too heavy to be worth it.

RC Competitor
    i found a center skid on ebay that some company has modified for the 3905..so i know it doesnt help that i cat remember the name but i know its out there...just search on ebay for center skid emaxx or something

RC Qualifier
    the front and rear RPM skid pads fit on the new emaxx?
    Last edited by nino; 02-20-2008 at 09:23 PM.
    Summit + Mini Revo = RC Bliss

RC Champion
    this is what i think you mean,

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...CH=t3680silver

its for a maxx 3.3 so I dont think it will work with the 3905, but im sure they will be making one soon

RC Champion
    yea the front and back skids fit but not the middle part. i have all 3. the middle one is not curved in the right place because the 3905 curve is longer. hard to explain. but why wont the skid plate for the maxx 3.3 work? isnt that jus as long as the 3905? i was thinking of just using duct tape to cover those two openings

RC Racer
    I believe that he is wanting something that would cover the areas between the center skid and the front and rear skids. I too am wanting something like this, but I will be making my own. The only issue with just using some 1/8th sheet aluminum is that the center tranny sticks out just a tad below the chassis braces. I already drew up some plans for how I intend to make mine, but haven't had time to make it yet. The reason I want one is because the rear skid plate where it attaches to the chassis braces, acts like a scoop. I run my truck in cow pastures and you could only imagine what it scoops up. If you think wives or mothers get mad when you try to bring your truck inside with mud on the tires, imagine how they would feels about a little fertilizer.
    Proud owner of a $1200, 16.8v Cow Chaser.

RC Competitor
    I have the RPM on mine. All the holes line up except the last 2 Drilled holes for these and it looks like a perfect fit. There is a small space between the middle and rear plate this is the only diff between the old and the new Maxx mounting.

RC Champion
    yea i have the rpm middle skid plate as well but the last 2 holes didnt line up so i didnt use it. if i left it alone...then there would be a opening and i think its worse cus that opening can get things easily stuck in the front. did you still end up drilling your own holes? becase the last 2 holes was the part where the curve starts to rise also.

RC Competitor
    I will try to post pics today. There is no opening at the front ?. If you use the center skid slid it toward the back. The four holes in the front will match up with the "curve" matching up. You do have to drill 2 holes for the rear. Leave the stock rear skid in place the new holes miss to stock screw screws The RPM plate covers the stock screws at the rear of the center skid plate. Like I said I try to post some pics. These plates work great.

RC poster
    Hi guys!

Here are some pics from the RPM middle skid plate mounted on my 3905:

like blueb8llz said, the last 2 holes don't fit. I've made some sort of clamp to attach the rear part and it works great.

Greeting from Germany
    TT
    Last edited by MaxX_GER; 02-23-2008 at 09:11 AM.

RC Champion
    hey maxxger. what clamp are you talking about. did you just drill a hole around where those 2 screws but just in the middle. i think i see a screw on top of the grey area. if you did i dont feel comfortable drilling a hole on that middle plate. i rather drill a hole on the same lines as where those other 4 screws are.

hey dtacmed. please post your pics. im still interested to see how you did it.

RC Competitor
    If you drill holes where the screw holes are it work great and
    "looks factory" Use a small drill bit and the screws will thread themselves.

RC poster
    blueb8llz,
    maybe clamp is the wrong word. I used some spare parts from my planes. As I don't know the correct words, I'll just post some pictures:

Self-made washer from spare-aluminium sheet, spare maxx-screw and blind-nut ( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD967&P=0 ) with some wood shaped in form (originally from a firewall in a plane):

The "nose" of the wood around the blind-nut is positioned under the original rear skid. The middle skid plate gets pulled against the rear skid:

There is not enough "overlapping" to put screws directly through middle and rear skid. This was the only solution that I could think of w/o drilling additional holes into the chassis braces (and possibly weaken them)

Greetings from Germany
    TT
    Last edited by MaxX_GER; 02-24-2008 at 03:18 AM.

RC Competitor
    Ok here you go

RC Competitor
    One more tryhttp://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/dtacmed/IMG_0862.jpghttp://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/dtacmed/IMG_0862.jpg

RC Competitor
    and

RC Champion
    maxxger., ok i see what your talking bout now...yea that looks sturdy ..nice work there.
    dtacmed on my emaxx, i cant screw it there cus thats exactly where the break front plate and the middle braces meet. whats wierd is that both of you guys front plate is black, mine is gray. only way i can do this is drill a hole just right before the original screw hole is and it should work fine. thanks for your guys help

RC Competitor
    Mine were stock grey. I broke and replaced with black. You are correct the screw holes are in between the 2 with such a small hole I don't think it really matters.