Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

Restaurant Service

I've only got one pet peeve when it comes to visiting a restaurant.

When I finally get my food and start eating, I drink like there's no tomorrow. I always just get water and I usually go through 4-6 (normal sized) glasses. I don't know why, I just do. And even though I drink a crap load, it really bothers me when the waiter can't keep my glass full. It's not like I asked for a root beer and the glass has to be taken back to the fountain. No -- there are always multiple pitchers of water at the waiters' stations for refills.

So that's the first part of my gripe.

Last night my boy and I went to Red Robin (Google it) and I ordered a really great burger with huge slices of pineapple on it. Holy crap, good. My six-year-old had the Steak Sliders. The check was already on the table and I was completely finished with my food when the boy had to use the young-man's room. Being short he usually can't reach the sinks so I go with him. Upon our return to the table we discover that the bus boy evidently thought we took off and cleared the table ready for the next customers. I found my waiter and told him we still had food on the table I was planning on taking home.

He told me about the bus boy's misunderstanding and went to his manager. The manager said he would remake the order of Steak Sliders (it's an oder of 3 smallish sandwiches). I tried really hard to get him to just make one sandwich because that's all we had left -- I didn't want to take more than I paid for, that's not fair to them. But he insisted on making them all; I suppose the steaks are packaged in 3's.

Turns out not only did we get all the 'Sliders (as I knew was coming) but they even packed the onion rings and tiny side of cole slaw.

So I guess I don't really have two gripes, as I implied earlier. But it sure was a bizarre first visit to Red Robbin.
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Champion
    Wow that's great service at Red Robin.

We love to go to Bojangles especially on a day we're out mowing grass.And if you've been to the BO, you've had some cinnamon twist.Who hasn't?A few times I'll go up to the register and oreder 4 [ one for all of us ].Usally when it takes longer than other times, they'll give 5 or 6 for no charge.It's not happened at the BO though.Maybe once at every restraunt we've gone to.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have 2 gripes with restaurants, 1. You gots to fill my glass before I'm sucking air and 2. don't come to my table every 30 seconds to make sure everything is OK
    My sig is way extra more better than yours!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Z
    Wow that's great service at Red Robin.
    I'd say the service was good.

The reparation was great. The manager didn't even think twice about remaking the food. I'm not sure if I'd lump that in with normal service though.
    When I think "restaurant service," I think about waiter friendliness, food delivery time, drink refills, "is everything ok" (as mentioned above), etc...
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Champion
    wow thats awesome.

yea i have a few restaurants in my area that have awesome service. and some that i don't go back to because of horrible service.
    Mud-Maxx
    NEU 1515 1.5D MM 4s

RC Champion
    I was thinking that would happen when you said you were going to help your son at the bathroom.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Super RC Driver
    I was thinking that would happen when you said you were going to help your son at the bathroom.
    I would completely understand if we were gone for 15 minutes... but it was less than 5.
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Champion
    Never order Red Robin's kid's mac n cheese! My sister had it and it was undercooked and disgusting, we complained and we got a $10 gift card
    Stampede
    PM ME FOR RC CAR ACTION BACK ISSUES!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by drewfromden
    Never order Red Robin's kid's mac n cheese!
    I didn't even read most of the items on the kids menu to my son. I told him about the burger and the "fish and chips" (with an explanation cuz he likes fish). Then he looked up and saw the cut-out of a race car on the table showcasing their Steak Sliders. He wanted them and that was that.

Most of the time kids menu's are pretty crappy. They hardly ever have the regular menu items portioned smaller. Usually they're for the picky eaters..
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Racer
    My gripe is when I go to the bar, and it takes 30 minutes to order and receive a drink.

And then again, when I go to pay my tab, it takes another 30 minutes to even be recognized.
    H20 cooled VW/AUDI veteran.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by watts300
    I would completely understand if we were gone for 15 minutes... but it was less than 5.
    Sometimes restaurants are really busy and want to serve as many people as they can. Usually when a waiter sees a table with leftover food and nobody sitting at it, they think they left.

RC Qualifier
    One question, if you drink that much water during your meal, why don't you just ask them to bring you a pitcher of water?

I have yet to find a restaurant that wouldn't (unless they don't have pitchers), at least they should bring 2 glasses of water at a time.

RC Champion
    At some restuarants they bring you water w/out asking such as denny's or ihop.
    I went to JohnyTamales last night and my waitress gave me great service and kept my soda full and even though it was a packed house, just took her a minute or two to bring the bill, still left a good tip.
    We ride together..We die together..Bad Boys 4Life

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by chongo
    One question, if you drink that much water during your meal, why don't you just ask them to bring you a pitcher of water?

I have yet to find a restaurant that wouldn't (unless they don't have pitchers), at least they should bring 2 glasses of water at a time.
    Sometimes I do. The first time in a restaurant, though, I usually don't so I can get an idea of how things go. As an example, I went to a Chili's once (first time at this particular location) and asked for a full glass of ice and a pitcher of water and I explained why. The waiter gave me a bizarre look.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember if I got the pitcher though.. the strange look was more memorable.
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Racer
    we go to heidlesburge restrant and there service is great. i'm not sure how that stay open cause it never packed. The waiters are very young and nice.(both friendly and looking) I have never had a problem. the only pet peeve i have with resturants are no sharp stake knives. what with that? food aways good, fast service, (watts 300 im like you last nite i drank 6 glass if unsweeten ice tea.) fast refills, cheaper.
    Got a slash coming?

RC Qualifier
    I've only got one pet peeve when it comes to visiting a restaurant.....

So I guess I don't really have two gripes, as I implied earlier. But it sure was a bizarre first visit to Red Robbin.
    the first thing you implied was that you had one problem, not two?

to be honest though, the only thing i dislike in restaurants is bad food. i went to one place, where the food was disgusting, and i didnt eat it, even complained quietly that it was disgusting. and as it was going to cost me like 30 dollars(15 quid) i thought it was a bit disgusting when they handed me the bill, and expected me to pay it, even the manager expected me to pay it....so i used one of the best British laws ever invented. if your at a place that sells food, and you pay after your meal, you can pay what you think the meal is worth. doesnt work in the pay up before you get your food places though. so i turned to them, and then politely said, in a very full restaurant quite loud "The food is disgusting, the service is disgusting, you wont even cook me a new steak, because the one i had is blatantly gone off, and almost made me sick whilst i took a bite, and then you expect me to pay for such a shoddy meal and service, right, i will waiver my rights as a british citizen, i will pay you what i think the meal is worth." and then i paid them 1 for the food and left.....sure they said something about banning me and my friends from the pub, which we would never go back to ever again anyways

all i wanted was a decent steak

RC Enthusiast
    Its actually really easy if you think about it. I was a bus boy at Sizzler for almost a year, and it happens all the time. We would look for obvious signs (empty desert dishes, are there any belongings at the table like purses or jackets, money, tip trays, etc.) to keep that problem down as best we could, but it could be very difficult. A lot of times what people would do is after they paid, instead of putting the change in they're pocket, they would just set it on the table, and get up and go to the salad bar or bathroom or whatever. Well, when a bus boy comes out and sees that money sitting there, they think its a tip for the waitor and that the people are likely finished therefore it must be ok to bus the table. Wrong. That happened to me and the other bus boys countless times. Some people were nice about it and some even joked about it, but sometimes you would get the other kind of people that acted as though the sky was falling. At Sizzler, after the people left we had TWO minutes to clean it off. So, when I saw signs of an empty table (especially money sitting there), I jumped on it. I wasn't going to waste time and lolly gag around waiting to see if anyone returns, and risk getting yelled at by the managers especially when we were busy (they usually werent as uptight about it when the resturant was slow). Not only that, but as you just wait on one table like that, other tables are leaving, and it was always a sure fire way for us to get backed up. Another reason why bus boys (atleast us) did not wait. It is very easy for a bus boy to make the mistake of cleaning off an unfinished table.

Please note that I am not bashing you in any way shape or form, I'm just trying to explain how easy it is to make that mistake, and if that happens next time, not to get to upset about it (unless it was completely obvious you were still there). You will always get the meal back for free after telling the manager anyways.

P.S. Red Robin is my favorite resturant.
    Last edited by .18 Jato; 03-24-2008 at 03:27 AM.

Traxxas Employee captainharlock's Avatar
    Since you know you drink a lot of water, why don't you ask the waitress to leave a pitcher of water on the table? I am sure they wouldn't care.
    Terminal is not the end, only the beginning...

RC Champion
    I really don't know where to start. I have spent years in the resturaunt business.

First I would like to comment that there are 100's of litttle factors that go into your dining expirence. Eveyone should watch the movie Waiting and take it to heart. These are real people, most of whom are trying to get by. There is alot of turnover in the business as far as hourly employees. IT is really high with wait staff. The ones that don't move on to greener pastures or get fired are usally promoted to managment. I ahve done all three. Like most industries the people at the bottom are lowest paid, with least expirenced, doing the hardest job. . I will add that i can make just as much money in a "tipped" position as a manager. I read people well.

I agree with captainharlock that out of the ordinary request should be made not expected.

If your expirence is really good or really bad you should talk to the manager. It is an effective too for him/ her to do their job. Don't be afraid to complain.

The most effective way to help the wait staff is to tip accordingly. 15% for good service. 20% for great. Nothing for bad service. You will save a manager the the trouble of firing that person.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Qualifier
    whenever I go to the restroom and I dont want the servers or bus people to clear my table, I tell one of them before I get up that I will be right back. It takes the guessing out of it for everyone.

RC Champion
    I went to Cracker Barrel last weekend. My gf received a fork with hair and old food on it.
    I spoke with the manager and he gave me all the food free as long as i dont tell anyone about the incident to avoid bad rep. Ehh... hair or no hair, its free food to me so i ate it.
    But MAN that was one NASTY looking fork.

RC Qualifier
    you just violated what he asked of you.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by timjs
    I went to Cracker Barrel last weekend. My gf received a fork with hair and old food on it.
    I spoke with the manager and he gave me all the food free as long as i dont tell anyone about the incident to avoid bad rep. Ehh... hair or no hair, its free food to me so i ate it.
    But MAN that was one NASTY looking fork.
    Haha. So much for not telling anyone.

Not to long before I stopped working at Sizzler, one guy found a dead dragon fly in his salad.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1961
    you just violated what he asked of you.
    Why yes, I did. oops

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by OCD RC
    The most effective way to help the wait staff is to tip accordingly. 15% for good service. 20% for great. Nothing for bad service. You will save a manager the the trouble of firing that person.
    I delivered pizza for 5 years a long time ago.. I know how it goes to get tips. (and not get tips)..

.. The bill was exactly $20. I gave him $4.
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEEZBURGER
    I have 2 gripes with restaurants, 1. You gots to fill my glass before I'm sucking air and 2. don't come to my table every 30 seconds to make sure everything is OK
    omg, i hate that.... usually when we go out to dinner it is because we havnt ahd anythkng to eat all day or its a special event or something.

Well, when I have meat on my plate it is gone in a few minutes. Rims..... thats another story they take me longer. But i will be breathing in the food and the waiter comes up every 2 minutes and says "how is everything?"

It is just as good as 2 minutes ago......... One time the waiter and the manager kept coming back and asking us how it was, that was when i was hessetent to eat more. How many times has the manager come up to your table and YOUR table only asking is everything ok?

needless to say, we never went back there again. Besides, the food was crap.
    Spur gear stripping king..... :D

RC Champion
    I delivered pizza for 5 years a long time ago.. I know how it goes to get tips. (and not get tips)..

.. The bill was exactly $20. I gave him $4.
    I love me pizza dilivery people. well only a few places. There is this one place that is reasnibly priced (7.50 a large pizza) so i always get delivery with a 6 pack of coke.

The total comes out to 14.50 everytime. Then they say "oh it will be there in about 45 minutes" ok, so im watching tv for 25 minutes and the doorbell rings, I was like what?

Everytime i order from them, they are faster than what they say, and the pizza is always hot as heck. I give the guy a 6 dollar tip everytime, cuz hes cool
    Spur gear stripping king..... :D

RC Champion
    Well...

Tonight was another bad experience (or first bad since the first one above was debateable) at Red Robin.
    This was only the second time I've been. My son wanted soup and salad. We got it all in good time.... but I looked down at his salad because it actually looked pretty good for a regular garden salad.

Behold, on a nice crisp piece of iceberg, a dead bug. Ew. Probably about as big as the 0 (zero) on your insert key on the keyboard's number pad.

In hindsight, after I noticed that one, 10 seconds before I saw a much smaller one that, at the time, I thought was maybe just something from a stem of a tomato. So I wiped it off my finger and didn't remember where. It otherwise would have been included in my "hey waiter look at this."

He took the salad quite rapidly away from the table. The manager-on-duty came over a few minutes later, apologized obviously and gave us our meal for free. He said "whatever you'd like, the menu is open." I was finished, though, my burger was good. (Perhaps I ate some bugs too?) But the boy got tired of the french onion soup so we got him something else, also free.

I still had to tip. And asked the waiter how that would happen, and if I could charge just a tip. He told me not to worry about it... but I can't not tip a waiter. So he had to go find out about that one. He came back with the manager's way of finagling the register so that I could leave a healthy $8 tip.

Should I try this restaurant again?
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Qualifier
    well my biggest pet peeve with any sit down resturant, especially those that are very expensive!!!!!! is when a waitress or buser starts to vacuum nearby when i am enjoying my meal!!! then my 6'5" frame gets up and tells them to quit while i am eating and then i have them get the manager to complain!! as this will kick up enough small particals off the floor and get in to my food!!! this is very uncalled for!!!!!
    Houston,"We have a problem!!" "WHERES MY TOOLS?!?"

RC Champion

Same here HAHA

RC Champion
    All I am going to say is if you drink 5-6 glasses of water (free), I hope you leave at minimum 20% tip.
    Last edited by Jason_garrison; 06-08-2008 at 10:34 PM.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_garrison
    All I am going to say is if you drink 5-6 glasses of water (free), I hope you leave at minimum 20% tip.
    I feel that you should tip on the performance, If I have a total crap waiter/waitress, then I tip total crap
    My sig is way extra more better than yours!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I feel that you should tip on the performance, If I have a total crap waiter/waitress, then I tip total crap
    +1, I go on performance and attitude. If they are on top of filling my drink and seem to always be there when I need him/her and they have a good attitude sometimes I forget about %s and just drop a 20 or a 50 on the table (depending on the place).

RC Racer
    When i went to America, i was so surprised at how good the customer service was, basically everywhere (apart from new yrk) All the staff seem so friendly anywhere we went, like any type of shop. Don't know if it's the area i live in or what but more often than not there's always a rude member of staff.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

RC Champion
    Evidently no one takes the time to read the thread.

I'm sure I'd otherwise have seen feedback regarding my post at #28.
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Champion
    Evidently no one takes the time to read the thread.

I'm sure I'd otherwise have seen feedback regarding my post at #28.
    They took care of you, and offered you anything on the menu. What else did you want from them?

RC Champion
    Hello?
    The question wasn't about them. The inquiry was to other readers as to whether or not they would bother going back to that restaurant.
    Good grief man.
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Champion
    Hello?
    The question wasn't about them. The inquiry was to other readers as to whether or not they would bother going back to that restaurant.
    Good grief man.
    That is what I was saying, they did everything they could to keep you as a customer. Why wouldnt you give them another shot.

RC Champion
    Because there were bugs in the food. Why else?
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Champion
    Follow up with the local Health Department. Most will have some type of online feature where you can search a place by name. If nothing comes up, give them one more shot.
    When all else fails....10lb sledge hammer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast