Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

forbes drag build

it has officially started...
    i am building a full blown all trx jato, thats right all trx. it maybe modified, but will be trx products. With much respect to jato75 and mr b1gg, and jato25 redck and all the others who have given such good advice, i hope i beat all of u lol...
    some of the stuff u have seen posted on here before by others, but i am takin what i feel works best and a few of my own ideas. I will keep in work pics and post at the end of the build along with my 81 mph (sorry i had to say that lol) video..... everyone's input is gr8ly appreciated, and any help u offer will be recognized..... thanx again to all the friends i have made on here and all the gr8 advice.....
    been there bought that

RC Champion
    This thread is useless without pictures!

lol, you can do the revo turnbuckle drag bar type thing? turnbuckles in place of the front shocks? (bad idea IMO)

Should be pretty sick.

RC Champion
    i'll be posting pics soon enuff, i just started getting parts together, w8in for a few more items,
    been there bought that

RC Champion
    OK forbes, you must be much smarter than I am. I have tinkered with my setup for the last couple of weeks, trying to get the most out of my Jato for dragging and top speed. My question is, how do you accomplish both, the quickness you need for drag and fast top speed runs? I have found a nice compromise, but at the price of either a step or two on the launch or a few mph on the top, but never both.

BTw, thanks for all your help.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    at first, i thought you said a fully BROWN jato....and I was like EEEEWWWWWW

then i reread it, and your plans sound good. will you modify some trx parts to fit. like a revo wing or somthing?
    Don't worry, its a rental. It can take it...

RC Champion
    not smarter by any means.... this car is just for top speed at the expense of take off.... but there is a external 2 speed cb in the works.......
    been there bought that

RC Champion
    Gotcha, U DA MAN!! I have another 13mm carb I want to try to fit with a 15mm. I will send a PM with ?'s.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    wasnt need4speed working on an external tranny like the nitro 4tec?
    WARNING:exposure to nitro can lead to drain bamage

RC Champion

update

finished modding the chassis today, mocked up the tranny and engine mountsare there any revo/tmaxx owners? what is the longest tie rod u have?
    been there bought that

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by forbes
    finished modding the chassis today, mocked up the tranny and engine mountsare there any revo/tmaxx owners? what is the longest tie rod u have?
    forbes, I have all my old toe links and tie rods from upgrading my Revo. You can have em. I will send them to you, regular snail mail of course.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by revonitro
    forbes, I have all my old toe links and tie rods from upgrading my Revo. You can have em. I will send them to you, regular snail mail of course.
    thanks bro..... they dont even have to be good... just enuff for the mock up... u saw the pic u know what im tryin to accomplish!!!!
    been there bought that

RC Champion
    thanks bro..... they dont even have to be good... just enuff for the mock up... u saw the pic u know what im tryin to accomplish!!!!
    Just drop me PM with your address, or I can just send to the shop your attention.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    forbes you really have hit 81 mph?

editr did i read that wrong?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by timjs
    forbes you really have hit 81 mph?

editr did i read that wrong?
    i have never claimed any speed... i do plan on radaring my one jato this weekend and i will post the vid rather it be good or bad....
    just as a startin point....
    i claim 65+ just like the box says lol
    been there bought that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good to know you have your radar Forbes, i have the same and its a good radar.

I have clocked my friend stock Jato 3.3 on 20% at 64mph with a zip-tie holding a front a=arm in place

Im guesing right now you will get 73mph with your setup.

:P its guesstimate lol
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Over_revO
    Good to know you have your radar Forbes, i have the same and its a good radar.

I have clocked my friend stock Jato 3.3 on 20% at 64mph with a zip-tie holding a front a=arm in place

Im guesing right now you will get 73mph with your setup.

:P its guesstimate lol
    thanx and that is awesome with a zip tie
    been there bought that

RC Champion
    allright, i am takin this friday nite to get serious with my drag build, and will run it in various forms on saturday......
    i plan on doing another 45 cb run
    stock carb vs. force
    vantage vs stock pipe
    stock pipe vs drilled
    we will see.............
    been there bought that

RC Qualifier
    why dont you also put vantage vs buku.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You like the Buku mikesr?

I don't think he has one.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Qualifier
    allright, i am takin this friday nite to get serious with my drag build, and will run it in various forms on saturday......
    i plan on doing another 45 cb run
    stock carb vs. force
    vantage vs stock pipe
    stock pipe vs drilled
    we will see.............
    Good deal. let us know for sure about that 45 cb. You have any pics of your jato all put together??
    Jato O.S. 21tm. w/ buku pipe

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    You like the Buku mikesr?

I don't think he has one.
    Hey Rustler Racer i ordered my buku 4 days ago. Its coming in two days because im not in america. If i lived in america i would have already posted some pics.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    will there b any footage???
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good to know Forbes, keep us posted

+1 some footage would be cool!
    ABmods

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jusleanit
    will there b any footage???
    nope no footage... i'm just gonna claim 81, like some others have on here.... of course my setup that i like will hit that number, then i'll taper off from there till about 74 mph.....
    yes there will be footage, and u guys will just have to put up with crappy video, cause im not goin to worry much about the fottage.... just gettin the data,
    remeber this is not really for speed record (unless i get one ) it's more for research reasons.
    so don't be dissappointed in the numbers
    been there bought that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    its all good....crappy footage beats no footage especially when hi speed runs are involved
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    agree^^^

I still prefer to see how your setup is going than just hear about it
    Cant wait to see your project
    ABmods

RC Champion
    nope no footage... i'm just gonna claim 81, like some others have on here.... of course my setup that i like will hit that number, then i'll taper off from there till about 74 mph.....
    yes there will be footage, and u guys will just have to put up with crappy video, cause im not goin to worry much about the fottage.... just gettin the data,
    remeber this is not really for speed record (unless i get one ) it's more for research reasons.
    so don't be dissappointed in the numbers
    I see you have been inspired to finish your build. Keep us posted bro, need to steal some ideas.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion

the good the bad.. and the truth..

alright here we go..... first off i just wanna say i did multiple runs with everysetup, so here we go..... this will probally be lenghty... and im sorry, my camera batt was dead at the area we were runnin, so u can take my word .. and by the time u finish this, u will know im honest, cause i am gonna admit i have been wrong.. all test was done with an ab mod stage 2 almost a agallon thru it 22/56 gears, anaconda tires
    run one force carb and vantage pipe... top speed 54, although it was still pullin at the end of the run..... outta the hole it had the best results temps of 210
    test 2
    force carb stock single chamber pipe and header.... DOG!!!! 48 mph to start
    after tuning pulled 53 but temps up around 290
    test 3
    stock carb stock pipe.... 61 mph (yes i know) temps around 210/220
    i did use a lil longer stretch, not as fast outta the hole but for top end it was gr8....
    please note during this run i brought it in and fueled it.. went to start it back up and had a bad o donnel gloplug... i threw a traxxas medium long in... same tune same setup... 43 mph... after tuning.. the best was 56 and temps around 230.
    so here is my conclusion... the force carb vantage header was a gr8 hole shooter... but i feel that the stinger is to big to build up adequate back pressure. force carb stock pipe.. way to much restriction.... i could run on foot and catch it outta the hole
    stock carb stock pipe, just ***** all around... in the top end it built power and quickly... not that impressed with the low end ()visually speakin)
    when i got back home i drilled the stock stinger and had the stock carb... omg what a beast... was super ***** and sounded great, rpm build up fast and very responsive...
    i did not radar so it was by sight only...
    tommarow i will get another o donnel plug.. my jat just seems to like the garbage for some reason! i will radar with drilled stinger, with vantage pipe, drilled with force carb, and i am picking up some diff gearing....
    as bad as i hate to admit it... i did NOT have the best allaround setup...
    but i am workin on it....
    thanks for reading and i hope u find this as a usfull reference to to make ur descicions
    been there bought that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Truly fascinating. Thanks for the info and looking forward to more (esp a video with some radar).
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Qualifier
    great testing forbes...
    Jato O.S. 21tm. w/ buku pipe

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jatomann
    wasnt need4speed working on an external tranny like the nitro 4tec?
    No, not me. I am trying to talk companies into makeing metal tranny gears. So far it looks like robinson racing is looking into it. But that would be cool to have the touring car tranny on the jato. I like those better.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by n3.3d_for_sp33d
    No, not me. I am trying to talk companies into makeing metal tranny gears. So far it looks like robinson racing is looking into it. But that would be cool to have the touring car tranny on the jato. I like those better.
    i have tried it.. the problem is the result of the diff gear ratios....
    its like having granny gears... they are pretty much usless with the gear ratios available... but i have never got one to work.. this is what i found by spinnin gears on the table to see what would happen
    been there bought that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So because they are heaveyer it messes the ratio?
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by n3.3d_for_sp33d
    So because they are heaveyer it messes the ratio?
    its not the weight , its the way the tranny in jato gears makes it.... i don;t know how to explain it... there is just something lost in the transdition...
    i have a buddy with a 3 speed shumacher tranny im about to try this weekend...
    but i aint holdin my breath

and yes revonitro.... u got me jealous.... i see u with all ur projects... i felt lazy...
    luckily, my wife understands how much i love this hobby, and she to;d me to go for it... so now that i have access to unlimited resources... she runs a hobby store, at least the online side... things are fallin into place
    i h8 being one uped lol
    been there bought that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Great testing there bud, im surprised the .26carb didnt helped you, , may be i missed that part but what fuel % and glow plug were you using with the force .26 carb?

Seemed like the plug hold it on top end, you should have lost a tiny low end and gained some top end with the slightly bigger venturi. I will try to test bigger venturi soon also.

Thx for sharing man, worth the reading for sure
    ABmods

RC Champion
    Interesting, must have been a bad day for testing. Am still waiting on Ty to get his butt over here so we can do some more runs. I had my stock Jato go 61 mph on wet pavement and had just started to rain again so was not able to beat that run as yet.

Have some 'race gass' 30% to try , the Revo loves it! hehehe not telling Ty I have it till after he asks how come mine is running so 'nice'. (3 fuel bottles in my bag and a little slight of hand and he will never notice I have 30 % till I tell him BaWahahahahaha!)

I Have missed you guys an running and putting up videos, have been practicing for the PN World Cup Event in PA next month so most of my time has been spent the last month, getting my mro2 ready and practice practice practice,

Had hoped to see the modded 3.3 of yours over or near 70

I plan on trying my hand with the dremel and a little port and polish so am very interested in seeing these modded rigs run.

Here is to you getting 70+, wishing you a good tune and nice weather conditions.
    (Got Fuel?) REVO 3.3, Jato 3.3, Rustys Daddy!

RC Champion
    the first run was with an odonnel plug... and i am using 30 nitrojuice....
    and over_revo...i dont think it was the carb. i think it was my pipe....
    the force carb and c/f pipe was great outta the hole.... or maybe it was my gearing.. but it would just keep winding and winding..........
    i need to adjust the shift points... but for testing purposes... i had to restrain...
    scotty the kid at the lhs, he is a tune GOD.... he can put his hand on the head and tell u what the temp is withing 5 degrees.. and big mike from the store both come out and helped me do my testing.... they are gonna look in the open boxes to find some more pipes
    been there bought that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good to know, definatly keep us posted!

If you have a stock revo 3.3 double chamber pipe, give it a try , bored.
    My TZ have better performance with that pipe than the bored stock 4tec resonator pipe.
    ABmods

RC Champion
    they have so many old pipes layin around..... im sure there is one.... probally already drilled
    been there bought that

RC Qualifier
    this is fun stuff to read.lol

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast