RC Enthusiast

Another question on locking front diff?????

I been reading alot threads on locking front diffs now. Im still debating on doing it. It seems like a good improvement to do on the 4tec. Not really alot of cons but more pros, and thats sounds good to me. Well my question is..do i have to get the pro ball diffs for the rear to compensate for the locked front in order to see some good improvements in cornering? thanks in advance for the inputs and advices!!!
    nitro 4-tec 3.3

RC Champion
    i glued my front diff about 6 months ago and noticed a huge difference in cornering. then a month later i got the pro ball diff for the rear and it was even better. you can just start with gluing the front diff then later can add a pro ball diff to the rear with no problems. if you run the aftermarket swaybars just run the front only till you add the ball diff to the rear then you can use both.

RC Enthusiast
    cooo that sounds good, will do.. thanks revo!
    nitro 4-tec 3.3

RC Champion
    no problem

RC Champion
    That's the way mine's setup now but I haven't had a chance to run it. My other sedan is setup the same way and it handles MUCH better.

RC Champion
    ill have to look into doing this... i am good on how it is now, but when i get more into it, then ill prolly lock the front diffy...
    k thanks!

RC Champion
    I tried silly putty but I got it to break free before I even got it back together. I used something similar I have that's thicker and very tacky. Worked good for a few tanks. Ran it at the track today and it did good but I noticed the diff isn't locked anymore. It's very stiff, but it's not locked.

What can I use to lock it down for good? Anything lighter than JB weld?
    Thanks!

RC Champion
    i just ca glued (tire glue) my diffs in my 2nd tec and it worked great and is lighter than jb weld. or 5 minute epoxy. imo after your glue the diff, put it in the front then use the diff with the silly putty in the rear and it might act like a lsd.

RC Champion
    How does the ca glue hold the greasy metal gears?

RC Champion
    i washed them with dawn. also last time i used nitro blast with all the gears still in the diff. i cant believe how good nitro blast works but i go through too much. and at 7$ a can it sure adds up.

RC Champion
    after you put the glue around the gears in the diff, carefully rotate the output shaft to get the glue on and between the gears withput spilling the glue. then close it up and screw it together. also after you get it all back together and the glue is still wet, rotate the output shafts untill they are lined up. thats so when you go to put the axles on or take them off you dont have to rotate the axle.

RC Champion
    I'm still not grasping how the CA glue will hold the metal gears when put against the POWWAA.

RC Racer
    you can also get tin foil and pack it in, or a strong putty, that way if you dont like the way it drives, you can remove it. neither of them last long but long enough to get the feel. also i used jb weld on my drift tec
    traxxas hates signatures

RC Champion
    I'm going with a locked front, period. I just want something that's not so heavy that will lock it for good.

RC Champion
    the ca glue drys hard and conforms to the splines on the gears. if you fill it with glue, the case will break before the gears do. its super strong. ive ran it for 6 months with no problems. 5 minute epoxy works also. i bet even hot glue would work also

RC Champion
    Do you just put the ca glue around the gears or fill the diff half full with glue?

Ah ha, I just thought of Liquid Nails. I bet I could clean up the front diff and put the LN all around the gears and let it get nice and hard.

RC Champion
    i bet that would work great. or gorilla glue. its super strong and expands like a foam so it would be light

RC Champion
    Back to the drawing board. The liquid nails turned my sticky putty (I couldn't get it all out) to a nice lube. Far from being locked!
    Tore it apart again, trying to clean it up, but it's not all going to come off, and I guess I'll try JB weld.
    Do you close the case up and let it dry overnight? That's what I did with the liquid nails. I'm wondering if it never dried because of no air?

RC Champion
    JB weld is rock hard. I don't think it'll be diffing anymore. Weighs about 5 lbs, but it's locked. lol