Finally did it.....

Okay I bought a Nitro Rusty.......
    Let the questions begin.......

First off....Does the air filter come pre oiled? It also looks like there is a zip tie holding it on.....Do I need to break that zip tie to get it off.....Man I'm handling this thing with kid gloves.....

Lol, Im sure that will change.....Im going to break it tomorrow morning...Watching the Dvd Next!!!!

yes it does come pre-oiled. ide watch the dvd tonight. get aquanted with it.

no need to cut the zip tie. we all (most of us) end up putting them back on..

i just take the frontmost peice off the neck, and have a clean one with a rdy to go filter inside and whalah!
    Learn by doing

Yeah went over the book like ten times....Watching the Dvd tonight......Break it in tomorrow......Not sure about the charger I got......It's been charging the pack for ever.....Pack is not warm BUT it will power the EZ Start stick thing......

Nervous about the break in......

lol

RC Qualifier
    just wait till you get a 3.3, THATS when yuo get nervous
    *Signature Pending*

RC Racer
    Save your self some time and order a carbon fiber disk break now. You will have to replace the plastic one. We melted 2 of the plastic ones during break in.

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...=&part_id=9059
    I want a Traxxas Nitro 1/8 Truggy

RC Racer
    Be sure to read the information closely on how to adjust the slipper clutch - when you replace the brake pad for the first time you want to understand this. It is easy to do.

http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...&highlight=106

Well I think Im going to go for it.....I really want to get started.....How hard is it to change the brake pad....?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by aerio619
    Well I think Im going to go for it.....I really want to get started.....How hard is it to change the brake pad....?
    Not hard at all. I'm not mechanical at all and I got it all back together. The exploded views provided at www.traxxas.com are you best guide.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNitroRusty
    Save your self some time and order a carbon fiber disk break now. You will have to replace the plastic one. We melted 2 of the plastic ones during break in.

me too, yesterday during break in i melted one on tanks 1 &2, borrowed a stampede disk and melted it on 3 & 4, broke a shock tower and locked up the diff on tank 5 lol
    @ 80% for years?

Wow......Instead of Braking can't I just coast during the "braking" ? I really just want to get out there......How long will it take to change it? I looked at the exploded view and I gonna be honest I'm not sure which disc I'm looking at

Thanks!!!!

RC Champion
    before each accreleration yer supposed to come to a complete stop....
    @ 80% for years?

Yeah...I know and I wanna do it right....I just don't feel like taking it apart before I even run it.....I know I might have to do it after the 2nd tank but AT least I will have a chance to get it running......

I found the exploded view for the transmission and WOW, looks crazy confusing.....It looks like I have to take apart the whole thing to replace it!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aerio619
    Yeah...I know and I wanna do it right....I just don't feel like taking it apart before I even run it.....I know I might have to do it after the 2nd tank but AT least I will have a chance to get it running......

I found the exploded view for the transmission and WOW, looks crazy confusing.....It looks like I have to take apart the whole thing to replace it!

nah man, its only 3 gears in there.

and yes, you can brake gently and coast a little bit. it depends where you break it in at. i had a huge empty lot, so i could easily coast and stuff. if you arent constantly slamming on the brakes, then you wont have to worry at all about the brake disk. i never have
    Don't worry, its a rental. It can take it...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNitroRusty

I am not sure how you guys are breaking yours in, but, I am on my second gallon of fuel and have not had any problems with my brake disc. But, I don't slam on my brakes whenever I wanted to stop either. I am kinda puzzled on this one
    Support your local hobby shop!

RC Racer
    I'm sure driving style does affect it; but in the instructions it does say to break it in that way. The carbon fiber break disk will hold up better - it's just a better material.

I have not melted the carbon fiber one

OKAY....SO I Broke the engine in....To the best of my ability........I followed the instructions....Ran 5 tanks.....Stopped w/ brakes as much as possible...(I was at a hilly parking lot) Only area that I wouldn't get hasseled......

SO What are the signs of a properly broken in engine?
    Thanks!
    -Doug

RC Competitor
    people melting break discs on break in?...what the heck?....traxxas says to apply the brakes smoothly and enough to stop the car.....not slamming on them....

Im puzzled as well...im on my 2nd gallon and have not had an issue.
    Oooo....This is fun.

RC Qualifier
    wow so i took all the rear of my car apart and cleaned up some stuff and i saw my brake disk an it looked almost new. i know the car has been around for a little while so i know it was used an it didnt look bad at all. i will be upgrading to the CF since it is plastic tho.

Joe

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykup
    people melting break discs on break in?...what the heck?....traxxas says to apply the brakes smoothly and enough to stop the car.....not slamming on them....

Im puzzled as well...im on my 2nd gallon and have not had an issue.
    Wow, someone else realized that also....
    Support your local hobby shop!

RC poster
    I have ran my rusty hard on my third gallon and still on my first break disk. i think you guy that went through two break disk during breakin must of had your brake linkage adjusted wrong your not suppost to have the brakes dragging all the time lol.

RC Qualifier
    ive had a rusty for 4 years bashin it hard and the only thing that has been replaced was the rear shock tower 3 times

RC Qualifier
    brake disc replacement isnt necessary on break in? OurNitroRusty, u might just have had bad luck with it is all. im still running on my stock brake disk. when did i get the car? about 6 years ago...and its had the 2.5 a stock 3.3 and a modded 3.3 in it so far. still stops on a dime =) well not literally. with the modded 3.3 it took about 3 yards to stop haha
    *Signature Pending*

RC Racer
    I find it hilarious that people are recommending to someone brand new at this hobby to buy a CF brake disc before even breaking in the truck. That is absurd! The stock brake disc works fine. Eventually you may want to upgrade, but it isn't something to throw at a newbie and add to their list of worries.
    Those who "melted" their stock brake disc almost definitely had the linkages set up wrong. It simply isn't possible to melt a brake disc unless the brake is dragging constantly.

RC Racer
    also funny that this thread started and finished in 2008 then made a comeback in 2010

RC Qualifier
    Uhm folks .... did you notice this was a question from 2 YEARS ago? Having said that ....... I agree that the factory brakes are just fine. Others say to upgrade to dual brake discs or carbon disc. I don't get it, I can brake smoothly with my Stampede, my Jato, or my 4 Tec and LOCK 'em up if I want/need to. ??????

Dang it ... got beat by ranz!
    US Navy retired, now - FAA air traffic controller

RC Qualifier
    Boom!!!!

Huge Comeback!
    *Signature Pending*