RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Looking For The Cheapest E-Revo Brushless setup?

Looking For The Cheapest E-Revo Brushless setup?

E-REVO at Towerhobbies.com using code 014y7 for $50 off = $399.99

Mamba Monster Pre order from Towerhobbies.com using code 014w3 for $25 off =$144.99

Castle Creations 6.5MM bullet Connectors From Towerhobbies.com = $6.69

*****-K 4300mAh 3S1P 20-30C $57.85 at *********.com X2 = $115.70

KD36-74-09XL 1900kv Brushless Inrunner at *********.com = $29.95

Shipping from ********* = $20.94

RUNNING TOTAL 718.26

….i still need to buy the low-slung single motor mount from Traxxas.
    –I don’t even know if you can pre order it anywhere

…I also need to get 5mm pinion gears but I’m not sure if they are 32 pitch like the e-maxx ones

…possible 2 speed as well?!?!

thats expensive! i could get one for under 300

RC Champion
    I would not use a cheap motor like that in a heavy monster truck. You are just asking for failure. At least spend a little extra and get an 8XL.
    Some things are just meant to make us wonder.

spend a little x-tra and get a neu

RC Champion
    The only problem with that is that it is more than a little extra.
    You are only as good as your weakest link.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    brushlessman, 1st you say you can get a set up cheaper than 300. then you say spend a little more and get a neu. a neu is $255, the motor i got was $30. But I would like to know how you get an e-revo brushless for under 300.

TexasSp- The Feigao motors are out of stock there "Due to quality and warranty concerns we have no ETA on Feigao products. We urge you to try a different brand. "

The motor I have is closer to a 9xl in the specs...

Feigao 540-09XL 9T 1850kv Brushless Inrunner
    Length: L (74mm)
    Diameter: 36mm
    Shaft: 5mm
    Real Measured Weight: 369g
    Kv: 1850kv
    Max Amps: 74A
    Resistance: 0.0092
    IO: 2.5A

KD36-74-09XL 1900kv Brushless Inrunner
    Front mount holes are 25mm apart.
    Dimensions: 36×74mm
    Shaft size: 5mm
    Weight: 370g
    Spec.
    Kv: 1900rpm/V
    Idle Current: 2.6A
    Resistance: .0091
    Max Amp: 75A

RC Champion
    Is anyone sure about the tranny yet? From what I saw an E-Maxx single plate would work minus a few clearance issues. That would also mean the E-Maxx 2 speed kit could work if there is room for the micro servo.
    The answer is no. And yes, mine is faster.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Tempted--

--I have not been able to get any info about the tranny. Thats why I stilll have not ordered a pinion. I know I need a 5mm bore, but i'm not even sure if the pitch is 32. Nor have I heard what the stock gearing will be.

It's at the end of the movie. Go to details and click on specs. And yes the pitch is 32.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    TexasSp- The Feigao motors are out of stock there "Due to quality and warranty concerns we have no ETA on Feigao products. We urge you to try a different brand. "
    I don't know where "there" is but rc-monster has the smooth can versions in stock. I also wouldn't be worried about the quality of a Feigao when you are considering a $30 bl motor to run in a 12lb monster truck. You get what you pay for.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks BigBro, I missed that one...actually when i went there, it wasn't listed. I didn't realize I needed to click on it to expand it and get the FULL specs. Good lookin out.

TexasSP - If you go back and read my origional post, you will see that "there" is *********. And, no I'm not worried about a $30 disposable motor. But lets get real. Do you really think that Feigao is a better quality because its more expensive? And before you answer, know this, the same feigao motor selling for $80 at rc-monster was selling for $47.50 at *********. So you can spout all the cliche "get what you pay for" antics you want. But for me to pay $17.50 more for a motor with almost the same specs as the one I got would be stupid. And to pay $50 more and go your route just so I can say "I got what I paid for" would be even worse. I am fully aware that neither of these motors are "top notch". I only wanted to buy something to hold me over until castle came out with theirs. ease up on the haterade.

wanna hug it out? ....lets hug it out

RC Champion
    I will not try to argue with you as you obviously have your mind made up. However it is obvious to me that you have very little experience with brushless and before your purchase I highly suggest you do more research and spend some time on the forums at www.rc-monster.com

Also be aware that with hobby city while they may have great prices they are located in and your products ship ou of Hong Kong. I know of many people having bad experiences with them not to mention taking very long times for shipping. If you have a problem with them, good luck getting resolution. No to mention but your motor is also out of stock.

I would also question exactly how hobby city is able to sell the same motor for 45% less than the price of rc-monster, who is a vendor with a long lasting and excellent reputation. Good luck either way you go though.
    Last edited by TexasSP; 05-06-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    brushlessman, 1st you say you can get a set up cheaper than 300. then you say spend a little more and get a neu. a neu is $255, the motor i got was $30. But I would like to know how you get an e-revo brushless for under 300.

The motor I have is closer to a 9xl in the specs...

Feigao 540-09XL 9T 1850kv Brushless Inrunner
    Length: L (74mm)
    Diameter: 36mm
    Shaft: 5mm
    Real Measured Weight: 369g
    Kv: 1850kv
    Max Amps: 74A
    Resistance: 0.0092
    IO: 2.5A

KD36-74-09XL 1900kv Brushless Inrunner
    Front mount holes are 25mm apart.
    Dimensions: 36×74mm
    Shaft size: 5mm
    Weight: 370g
    Spec.
    Kv: 1900rpm/V
    Idle Current: 2.6A
    Resistance: .0091
    Max Amp: 75A
    i wasnt counting the truck itself. and 300$ for esc motor and batterys

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    i wasnt counting the truck itself. and 300$ for esc motor and batterys

I'm at $298 before shipping. But I'm all for doing it cheaper if you know a way.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Steal one

On the subject of motors, feigao's quality has never been all that great, but recently the rotors/magnets seem to be failing alot more frequently, and just incase anyone wasnt aware (appears that way), a failed motor can sometimes take the esc with it- concider that carefully.

I would suggest the MegaMotors 22/45/2 for 6s, or the 1e model for 4/5s.
    There are also the Medusa motors- Neu quality for $100 less than the Neus cost. A 36-60-1600V2 would be awesome on 6s lipo.
    There also some more exotic options if you look to outrunners, such as the Align 600XL, or some other weird and wonderful brands- I would suggest one of the above though to be safer & surer of good results.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Racer
    MM/7(or 8)xl,4s Lipo,Ubec,

If you cant afford lipo go with Nihm

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasSP
    I will not try to argue with you as you obviously have your mind made up. However it is obvious to me that you have very little experience with brushless and before your purchase I highly suggest you do more research and spend some time on the forums at www.rc-monster.com

Also be aware that with hobby city while they may have great prices they are located in and your products ship ou of Hong Kong. I know of many people having bad experiences with them not to mention taking very long times for shipping. If you have a problem with them, good luck getting resolution. No to mention but your motor is also out of stock.

I would also question exactly how hobby city is able to sell the same motor for 45% less than the price of rc-monster, who is a vendor with a long lasting and excellent reputation. Good luck either way you go though.
    your right. i have very little experiance with brushless. i will take your advise and read up at monster-rc.com. as for the purchase, it was made before my post. the motor was in stock at the time and has been shipped already. knock on wood, i have yet to have a problem with *********. this will be my 7th order with them. I always use my AMEX just in case there is an issue. As far as ********* underselling rc-monster, i can only assume that its because feigao does not price protect their distributors with MAP pricing. While rc-monster has a great rep, i chose to use the vendor with the lower price. Nothing personal, money is money. Now, if I get burned, then i'll be back here letting everyone know to buy from a dealer with a good rep like rc-monster-but until then, i'm going for cheap.

On a personal note, it seems I have offended some ppl here. It wasn't my intension. If you were offended, i apologise. r/c building is just a hobby for me, so i tend to joke around with ppl when discussing it. i realize when reading back, that i may have come off like a jerk. i guess its hard for me to type my joking sarcasm out w/o coming off like a ----. anyway, my intensions for writing and reading in these forums are only to help out my fellow r/c enthusiasts--and get help myself. i appreciate your help. thanks.

If theres any specific brushless motor post that you think may help me, I appreciate you letting me know.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicideneil
    Steal one

On the subject of motors, feigao's quality has never been all that great, but recently the rotors/magnets seem to be failing alot more frequently, and just incase anyone wasnt aware (appears that way), a failed motor can sometimes take the esc with it- concider that carefully.

I would suggest the MegaMotors 22/45/2 for 6s, or the 1e model for 4/5s.
    There are also the Medusa motors- Neu quality for $100 less than the Neus cost. A 36-60-1600V2 would be awesome on 6s lipo.
    There also some more exotic options if you look to outrunners, such as the Align 600XL, or some other weird and wonderful brands- I would suggest one of the above though to be safer & surer of good results.
    steal one--lol nice
    i was reading some info on the medusa motors. it seems the MR-36-60-2000-V2 may be the way to go. or possibly the 1600kv. but no-one seems to have them in stock at the moment.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The Castle 'Neu' motor is weeks away from release, the MMM esc is out in a week, maybe even now... why would you not wait for this with it so close? It will be sub 300 and for the price there will be nothing that can compare.

Just my 2c
    eRevo Neu 1515 1.5d MMM Maxamps 4-2s2p8k 2-3s2p8k

RC poster
    any updates on this combo?

RC Racer
    I spoke to Castle on Friday. It seems like the motors are probably still 5-6 weeks out. The controllers are about 1-2 weeks out.

RC Qualifier
    The Medusa motors sound great if they are comparable to the Neu. If you guys find any in stock, post the link in this thread.
    Lots of brushless power in the garage.

RC Enthusiast
    I buy a ton of my high power brushless stuff from hobby city. Mostly for my planes and have had great luck. I notice that their $9 hobby city motors run a bit hotter than my $120 neu motors, but they are just as fast. I've recently tested a small ********* motor to see when it would melt down. I got it up to 650watts for about 30 sec before it died. My equivalent neu motor goes closer to 700watts before it gets to dangerous temps. I'm just not willing take the neu to it's breaking point. So if you are competing, it might be worth it to pay 10 times more for the high end stuff. But for bashing on a budget, the ********* stuff is a great value.

I am currently using that same $27 9xl (members get better pricing) on my revo conversion on 5s. You need to thread lock the endbell or it will unscrew. Other than that, it has never gone above 150F on 5s and wheelies like crazy. I couldn't be happier with it.

I almost always ship EMS through ********* and it has never taken more than 3 days to my door. My biggest complaint is that everyone is starting to find out about their stuff so they are always on back order. The plane guys have been on to their great values for a long time so they are always depleting their stock.