RC Champion

1st impression of Mamba Monster in action

After problems getting it programmed to my DX3R that ended up being resolved with rebinding the rx to the tx. I ran it in my e-revo for 20 minutes before the slipper nut came off and the pads went flying.

I had everything turned down for initial trials.

Punch Control - 70%
    Motor Timing - Lowest
    Start Power - Low
    Cutoff -Auto Lipo
    All other settings default

11.5 lb e-revo, locked in second standard ratio, rc-monster mount, tekno esc and battery mounts (for now), true rc 5s 8000 mah battery, Neu 1515 1y/s, geared 17/38.

I began with some slow speed navigation from the den to the front door. I love my dx3r, with my 3pm i could not drive it inside before. there was zero cogging, it is in fact the smoothest sensorless brushless that I have ever driven. I made a right out of my front door onto the grass and ran 5 minutes of full throttle, hard stop, full throttle. Ambient 83, Motor 89, Esc 87, batt 83.

After checking temps I crawled it slowly through the pebble bed decorations into the parking lot. I ran 5 minutes on asphalt with the same style driving. Temps were Motor 97, esc 92, batt 83

I then crawled over the parking bump stops and went down into what I like to call leaf gully. It is about a 40 sq foot area that is always a giant leaf pile. I did WOT donuts and some hard start/stops in the leaves for 5 minutes. Motor 121, esc 102, batts 87

Back to the parking lot for some more hard start and stop. I got about 4 minutes of the last and the slipper but worked it's way loose and threw the slipper pads, I have no spares. d'oh.... Temps Motor 127, esc 121, batts 86.

I will bump the timing up to normal after I get some more slipper pads.

Over all I am very pleased with the Mamba Monster. Castle hit a home run with this one.
    Last edited by DickyT; 05-08-2008 at 08:30 PM.
    Run it, break it, fix it, love it :]=~

RC Qualifier
    now i cant wait to get mine. i ordered on the 27 and she said i might be at the end of the frist batch if not the beginning of the second.

im gonna be running a 8xl on 20/40 to start on 16 nimh 4500s
    rcm mount,tekno rxbox,batt tray,mmm,8xl, 4s baby

RC Qualifier
    hehe,that esc can power this neu whit no prob!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DickyT
    After problems getting it programmed to my DX3R that ended up being resolved with rebinding the rx to the tx. I ran it in my e-revo for 20 minutes before the slipper nut came off and the pads went flying.

I had everything turned down for initial trials.

Punch Control - 70%
    Motor Timing - Lowest
    Start Power - Low
    Cutoff -Auto Lipo
    All other settings default

11.5 lb e-revo, locked in second standard ratio, rc-monster mount, tekno esc and battery mounts (for now), true rc 5s 8000 mah battery, Neu 1515 1y/s, geared 17/38.

I began with some slow speed navigation from the den to the front door. I love my dx3r, with my 3pm i could not drive it inside before. there was zero cogging, it is in fact the smoothest sensorless brushless that I have ever driven. I made a right out of my front door onto the grass and ran 5 minutes of full throttle, hard stop, full throttle. Ambient 83, Motor 89, Esc 87, batt 83.

After checking temps I crawled it slowly through the pebble bed decorations into the parking lot. I ran 5 minutes on asphalt with the same style driving. Temps were Motor 97, esc 92, batt 83

I then crawled over the parking bump stops and went down into what I like to call leaf gully. It is about a 40 sq foot area that is always a giant leaf pile. I did WOT donuts and some hard start/stops in the leaves for 5 minutes. Motor 121, esc 102, batts 87

Back to the parking lot for some more hard start and stop. I got about 4 minutes of the last and the slipper but worked it's way loose and threw the slipper pads, I have no spares. d'oh.... Temps Motor 127, esc 121, batts 86.

I will bump the timing up to normal after I get some more slipper pads.

Over all I am very pleased with the Mamba Monster. Castle hit a home run with this one.

Dicky I'm heading over to southeastrc in the morning can I borrow the MMM for a few days?
    MMM is giving new meaning to "Make Em Cry

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice post Dicky!! I know you have had your esc problems and you have been down for a while. Have fun. Lookin' forward to a new DickyT production.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Champion
    Do you have any pics dicky? I want some pics and vids of this in action! I wish I could get one! Have fun dude!
    You are only as good as your weakest link.

RC Champion
    Have you ever had a MGM, and if so, how does the monster max compare to it?
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

RC Champion
    I have never had an MGM, I had a quark and it is smoother than the Quark which I thought felt silky. I'm going to take some pics now. I wanted to get everything situated rather than just thrown on there before I took pics. Give me about 20-30 minutes and I'll have photo.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTITUP
    Dicky I'm heading over to southeastrc in the morning can I borrow the MMM for a few days?
    where you live? he is coming to my house on sunday for a lil MMM dual bash. i live at 10th and federal.. let us know....

RC Qualifier
    Nice review Dicky. I guess temps are reasonable for 83 ambient ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rabosi
    Nice review Dicky. I guess temps are reasonable for 83 ambient ?
    Jeesh yes. Everything below 127* is great. It will be interesting to see after a full pack of nonstop hard bashing what they are, but so far they are excellent.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

Whats the ratings on that battery?Do you have an estimate on speed?It's very smooth, what others are you comparing it to?
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrusedc
    Jeesh yes. Everything below 127* is great. It will be interesting to see after a full pack of nonstop hard bashing what they are, but so far they are excellent.
    was wondering since my mamba max w/fan at 75 ambient was only about 100F with neu 1515 1y, 4s lipo and 22/58 gearing on 3905maxx.

RC Champion
    Smoother than a quark, wow. It would be cool if someone who had both a MGM and MMM made a comparison.
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

RC Racer
    good mini review. DickyT...

RC Champion
    It is definitely smoother than my quark was. Here are some pics of it in the Revo, I will shorten the wires a bit:

RC Qualifier
    hehe, a video that will be cool

RC Champion
    WOW! I'm drooling DickyT! That is one sweet truck you have there. That is some sweet braggin rights right there! So it's smoother than you quark? That's pretty intresting to hear. Especially since the MMM is way cheaper.
    You are only as good as your weakest link.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Whats the ratings on that battery?Do you have an estimate on speed?It's very smooth, what others are you comparing it to?
    The battery is a 10c 5s 8000mah lipo, it is underrated though. I am comparing running my Motor on an Mabma Max and Quark 125b, as well as mm, velineon, and lrp spheres in smaller scale.

I will have some slow speed video up soon, slipper is fried so can not really go. But I have the truck setup for about 50 mph when it can put the power down.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the invite man.....but Sun is mothers day the wife is tying me up....I live in palm beach but i'm doing some work in N. Lauderdale tomarrow..you guys should come up some other sunday to morroso speedway.....we have a new rc track there ....its not really organized yet just a bunch of guys doing laps......do a search for action hobbies in riviera beach...they sponcer the track

Quote Originally Posted by tha5150
    where you live? he is coming to my house on sunday for a lil MMM dual bash. i live at 10th and federal.. let us know....
    MMM is giving new meaning to "Make Em Cry

Thats cool,looks like you have a wide base for comparison.Sounds like maybe I need to run to castle tomorrow and pick 1 up Off topic Does the battery weight make it heavy on that side or is the motor enough to offset it?Do you like the tranny lock conversion?
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Flame
    Smoother than a quark, wow. It would be cool if someone who had both a MGM and MMM made a comparison.
    I'll do it as soon as I get the MMM. Since I am waiting on the E-Revo, I'll do it in an E-Maxx.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Thats cool,looks like you have a wide base for comparison.Sounds like maybe I need to run to castle tomorrow and pick 1 up Off topic Does the battery weight make it heavy on that side or is the motor enough to offset it?Do you like the tranny lock conversion?
    It is a little bit right side biased but not too bad. it flies and lands square, If I were to race and not bash I would look at a 5000 mah 25c lipo for the weight reduction.

I'll have video up on youtube as soon as they process it of going slow. after the slipper fried. you can hear it Whhhiiiirrrrr when I hit the throttle a couple times.

DickyT - I apparently have the same taste as you. I ordered the pretty much all the same parts for the conversion except I used the whole Tekno Conversion kit. Hadn't even seen your build thread until a day or two ago and realized you had already done pretty much all the stuff I'm about to do to my Revo. ;-) Saw somewhere you're a network consultant? Software Engineer here. Great minds think alike?

Anyways....

2.5 Revo (eh, it's what I had)
    Tekno Conversion kit
    MMM Esc
    1515 1y Neu
    Same red pushrods except I don't have the rustler piece on my servos.
    Stock blue chassis cause I'm not cool enough to deannodize my stuff.

I was wondering what gearing you were running. Did you buy a steel spur gear or anything like that?

What do you think happened with your MMM to just die like that? Was it the BEC? Have you gotten your repaired one back yet?
    Last edited by megadork; 09-05-2008 at 10:04 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by megadork
    DickyT - I apparently have the same taste as you. I ordered the pretty much all the same parts for the conversion except I used the whole Tekno Conversion kit. Hadn't even seen your build thread until a day or two ago and realized you had already done pretty much all the stuff I'm about to do to my Revo. ;-) Saw somewhere you're a network consultant? Software Engineer here. Great minds think alike?

Anyways....

2.5 Revo (eh, it's what I had)
    Tekno Conversion kit
    MMM Esc
    1515 1y Neu
    Same red pushrods except I don't have the rustler piece on my servos.
    Stock blue chassis cause I'm not cool enough to deannodize my stuff.

I was wondering what gearing you were running. Did you buy a steel spur gear or anything like that?

What do you think happened with your MMM to just die like that? Was it the BEC? Have you gotten your repaired one back yet?
    Thanks man! It was a bec failure on my v1, I have close to 20 hours on my v2 now! I am now running rc-monster diffs with 17/36 pinion/spur, and wide ratio tranny gears with Crime fighter LPR's.

The setup as shown here was running wide ratio, 17/38, stock diffs, and 40 series crimefighters and and 40 series road rage.

So- I saw in another thread that you've done the single servo conversion using a DS8611A Digital Ultra Torque MG Servo by JR. The description on that thing looks sick! I'm still running the stock 2 servos that came with my Revo 2.5r over two years ago.

I just ordered a Spektrum DX3r and am sorta (next paycheck maybe?) in the market for a digital servo for steering. I want to take advantage of the fastest response times (frame rate) on the DX3r. 5.5ms seems like it would be awesome!! Did you notice a huge improvement when you did the upgrade? Still satisfied with the purchase?

I listed my setup above, but I'll add that I've got a TrueRC 5s 8000mAh on the way. I've already got the e606i or whatever for my RustlerVXL and a 3s and couple 2s batteries for it.

Can you think of anything I should go for before I do the single-servo upgrade? I don't have a wing or a wheelie bar, not sure if I want either yet. Any thoughts/suggestions?

RC Champion
    I love that jr servo. it is fast powerful. fast, powerful, fast..... um yeah! steering has not been an issue since installing it. the rest of your build sounds good, you will want a diff upgrade eventually. the 3.3 diffs just can not handle the torque of big power BL. but wait until you break something before you go replacing that stuff.

RC poster
    how do you like the True rc lipo? I'm trying to decide which lipos to go with.

RC Competitor
    my true rc batteries work great. and Dan is top notch to deal with

RC Qualifier
    I also use True RC Battery's 15C 8000K with a TeknoNue 1515 1Y and my E-MAXX is geared 18/68 and they alway run really cool.Go with TrueRC you won't be sory and they also have a 1 year warranty on there packs as well not a 30 day like some other's that will remain nameless,but I will give you a hint as to who they are they also offer a 3 year or 300 cycle warranty that you can pay extra for if your rich and have lot's of money.

RC Champion
    I love the TRC pack, it never even gets warm. at the track I run my neu power pack do to weight but for bashing I use the TRC for capacity!

RC Champion
    Dicky..are you really running a 17/38 gear combo..? that 38 pinion seems so small...i would think you would have terribly hot temps!
    Been there, done that.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by larrydino
    Dicky..are you really running a 17/38 gear combo..? that 38 pinion seems so small...i would think you would have terribly hot temps!
    18/36 now the rc-m diffs change final drive ratio to allow it.

Larry, remember that mine is a convert using mod 1 gears and a revo 3.3 tranny so the gear numbers do not match what you would run, or even close for that matter.

the hottest my motor has been is 152 on a 98 degree day after 45 minutes of running in the dirt with tons of wheel spin, donuts, etc.