What's new ? :

- UE diff (6 spyders) with black anodized cases
    - UE Monoblock black anodized
    - Proline Ford F-650 body
    - IMEX Swamp Dawg tires
    - ******* 4500mAh 3S2P 30C LiFePo4 packs
    - and some minor mods...

I hope it's worth the wait and that you like it

I made an Excel file in which I listed all the parts needed to build this maxx (screw by screw, bearing by bearing, washer by washer...), where to buy them and how much they cost. PM me with your mail if you want it.

I will post lots of pics of the 6s build tonight

It's time to test it now !!

RC Champion
    Looks great.

How bad does the stock body line up now with that monoblock? Did the differentials drop right in or do they require modifications?

So total 6s LiFe... 19.8 volts. Curious to know if you can tell the difference between 6s LiFe and 6s LiPo (22.2 volts).
    E-Maxx 3905 - Rustler 3707 - Slash 5805

RC Champion
    "Some" build pics to preempt questions

The first step was to anodize some parts in black to match my color theme. It's 1offRC (http://1offrc.com/) which did it, they made a great job and their service is excellent !

The Monoblock didn't fit well the FLM 3905 chassis, I've had to dremel a bit the 4 bottom screws (chassis braces side) of the Mono and the rear notches of the chassis :

RC Champion
    I needed a longer center rear dogbone, the UE "DogBone for Monoblock with the Thunder or Lightning Chassis" fits but it's a tad shorter IMO. The O'Donnell dogbone is longer but I use the UE one which seems stronger. I will test both though if needed.

I replaced the FLM drive cups with the Traxxas Drive Cups Inner Revo (5153R) which are longer. And I use HPI rubber O-rings to secure the dogbones.

Second step was the assembly of the UE diffs. As I use the stock driveshafts (I will use the Summit ones if the stock ones don't hold out 6s), I needed to replace the UE output drive cups (on top of the pic) by Traxxas stub axles (I cut the threaded part) :

I use Ofna diff oil (7k front & 5k rear), Acer Racing bearings and Gorilla Snawt (for ring and pinion gears). And voilà ! :

It was really long to shim them, I hope I did it correctly

RC Champion
    Third step was the body... grrrrrr... The stock ones are a tad too short with the Monoblock so I bought the Proline Ford F-650 one.

It was the first body I made completely I hated
    It's so boring to trim it, to prepare the mask, to paint it, to put the decals... But I'm happy with the result (simple and smart !), my E-Maxx looks less stock now
    I made some front and rear notches so that it fits well and I shortened the body posts so that they don't rub against the shocks.
    The body lenght is almost perfect and the Proline lexan is thick ! I don't want to destroy it too fast !!

RC Champion
    Some minor mods :

- IMEX Swamp Dawg tires vs Proline Mashers :

These tires are really more hard than the Masher ones, so hard that I couldn't turn them inside out to tape them ! We'll see if they hold out with my new 6s setup !

- I added protections (to flatten the bottom of my maxx and to hide the silver color of the ti skids) and chassis braces (to reinforce the chassis - I know it's pretty useless but I like the idea ):

Before

After

RC Champion
    The last parcel I received was the LiFePo4 packs. The box looks damaged but the packs are safe !

I charged the packs, they were well balanced

I will use a 65/22 FGR for the 1st test.

RC Champion
    Knew I should have waited before posting questions.

That's a great idea with the cutting of the stock skid plates to protect the exposed pieces. Right now I only have a zinc plated steel front skid, and the exposed bit of it on the bottom has been bugging me. I was thinking of doing the same kind of mod myself but just haven't implemented it yet.

What I really wish is that there was a way to seal in the entire underside between the skids. I like having the center RPM skid plate covering up the rear bit, wish it went forward too.

For comparison's sake, could you weigh one of those LiFe packs so we can have an idea of how they compare to other batteries?

RC Qualifier
    That is very nice indeed.

I'll be honest, I thought you had lost the plot when I saw the first pictures, it looked the same. But a few pics in you could see the difference, nice clean, tidy and well thought out job as usual.
    KD 700-HO 3905 - FLM E-Maxx MMM - ERBE - Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by orion
    What I really wish is that there was a way to seal in the entire underside between the skids. I like having the center RPM skid plate covering up the rear bit, wish it went forward too.
    Hey Orion,

theres a chance to do, I just mount thin carbon plates, as you can see here

or complete at my http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=507783
    E-Maxx, MMM, 4S - 6S, Akula :-)

RC Champion
    Well then.

I know what I'm doing when I go aluminum chassis.

Saw some of your other tricks in your thread like the shock holder for oil filling and the trick to get shock socks on easier. It's all very nice including the truck.

RC Racer
    Thanks
    E-Maxx, MMM, 4S - 6S, Akula :-)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well I wasn't expecting a mono block. I remember talking to Zack, and he said if you want to make a Maxx more unique, you need some UE stuff on it. Great job yet again Popoxx!!

Total build cost???

RC Champion
    orion: on average a pack weighs 467.75g (1.0312lb). It's written 461g (1.0163lb) on HK website.

eemmaaxxxx: thanks Tom ! I'm not a UE addicted, I think it's not the best solution to use rare parts in a truck you bash hard But the aim of the mono is to keep my maxx on the ground when I pull the trigger And I wanted a bigger MT, next step is a 1/5-scale truck...

According to my Excel file, the total cost is $2510 (w/o batts, connectors, switch balloon (yes it's an accurate calculation ) and w/ Acer Racing bearings).

RC Qualifier
    Popox, do your diff cup are a 8mm.
    If so, you can use LST2 cvd ( 8mm too) on the back.
    But mine is a 3906 flmed + mono.
    3906 CC 1717 / MMM GA 7075 UE Khead LST2 DIFF

RC Champion
    This has been a long time coming! And I was glad to help! I wish it would have went according to plan but when does the Maxx every cooperate??! lol Very, very nice Paul!!!

Notes:
    I predicted the body but man I didn't know it would look so good! Looks just like mine but black! LOL I remember when you asked me which version it was. Good times! Great Job! You've seen my new body I presume?
    I love the extra chassis bracing! The research into these extra, non specific parts is overwhelming! Great job, if my FLM chassis was still my primary chassis I would get order myself some from Axial. Shiiii! Don't tell anybody but while moving my FLM chassis from my beater(main) truck to my buddy truck a few months ago I noticed that I bent it pretty bad! Remember keep it a secret I really like FLM and don't want it to discourage others... LOL. It is bent at the tranny mount where the chassis is thinest. I bent it back and made my own bracing not even thinking about Axial's custom sizes.

I knew about the Ti plates, we will expect a review in the future lol

I knew about the monoblock and sorry again about the shaft and fitment

Those Ultralite diffs from UE should be fairly bullet proof. Sorry UE goofed up on the order. I'm glad and surprised you found the correct gears on Tower.

Can't wait to see your 1/5th scale MT on RCM.

You're showing me up with the 19volts!! Stop it!! A new friend of mine from the track(I'll be racing this whole summer ) accidentally plugged one of my 2s packs and my 4s pack together into my series plug a couple of weeks ago! I was charmed to hear the auto cell count chirp 6 times lol. My current gearing would have put me at like 65.

You'll really love that RCM CD/motor mount. This should really be posted in my surprises section lol, in that I can't believe with our your intuitive creativity that you haven't at least figured out a way to install and test it. Surely. You know I would have bought one the second they came out if I hadn't already purchased that Truggy type chassis for my maxx the HCR Mutant Maxx.

Surprises:
    The anodizing looks amazing and totally took me by surprise great job!

The Swamp Dogs from Imex look fantastic! I had no idea. They really make the truck look totally scale, like a real huge MT along with the wicked Ford body.

Questions:
    Where are the Super Shocks?!!!

I forgot what springs those are, tell me again. Where are the black socks? The blue just looks awful!! Just kidding!

Are the Swamp Dogs heavier than the Mashers? Can't wait for their review.

I'm sorry to ask I can't remember if you've revealed but do you have Acer all throughout?

We need the current running weight. I have yet to figure out how to weigh mine accurately.

Oh how I wish we could bash together!

-Zack
    Last edited by Kcaz25; 05-05-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    15" WB HCR Mutant-Maxx Castle UE FLM 3906

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcaz25
    Oh how I wish we could bash together!
    In all honesty, that would be pretty cool to see everyone here with their very modified and tricked out trucks do a massive bash session. See all the long-time E-Maxx veterans have a race and bash session for a few hours.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's a lot of money you've spent! I know it's not really the time and place, but I'm really in two minds what to do with my MMM/FLM/RPM build. I havn't run it yet, but I really want a ERBE. I think an ERBE would satisfy my need, and I don't what to abuse my FLM build, then to sell it, and not get veyr much. Argh! The thoughts running through my head!

Anyway, all we need now is a Vid!!!! And a teaser pic for your 1/5 Project

RC Qualifier
    Just looked back through the whole Thread again last night, it is a fantastic build, you can forget how detailed it is when your just following the lasted posts.

Btw, those Axial posts are great aren't they, I used them for a wing mount mod I had on my pervious shell. Definitely something people could use for all sorts of things, so keep them in mind everyone.
    KD 700-HO 3905 - FLM E-Maxx MMM - ERBE - Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx
    That's a lot of money you've spent! I know it's not really the time and place, but I'm really in two minds what to do with my MMM/FLM/RPM build. I havn't run it yet, but I really want a ERBE. I think an ERBE would satisfy my need, and I don't what to abuse my FLM build, then to sell it, and not get veyr much. Argh! The thoughts running through my head!

Don't get down about your FLM build, you built it for abuse it can take it. It is now more durable than the Revo I promise. That is a step backwards. What are you missing?

Edit: we probably need to take this to your build thread to keep this one clean.
    15" WB HCR Mutant-Maxx Castle UE FLM 3906

RC Competitor
    How do those lifepo4 packs perform? Was thinking about getting a couple myself.

RC Champion
    This has been a long time coming! And I was glad to help! I wish it would have went according to plan but when does the Maxx every cooperate??! lol Very, very nice Paul!!! Thanks Zack

Notes:
    I predicted the body but man I didn't know it would look so good! Looks just like mine but black! LOL I remember when you asked me which version it was. Good times! Great Job! You've seen my new body I presume? Yes of course I've already seen it, looks great and LCG FTW
    I love the extra chassis bracing! The research into these extra, non specific parts is overwhelming! Great job, if my FLM chassis was still my primary chassis I would get order myself some from Axial. I think it's the best idea of this 6s step Shiiii! Don't tell anybody but while moving my FLM chassis from my beater(main) truck to my buddy truck a few months ago I noticed that I bent it pretty bad! Remember keep it a secret I really like FLM and don't want it to discourage others... LOL. It is bent at the tranny mount where the chassis is thinest. I bent it back and made my own bracing not even thinking about Axial's custom sizes. I won't share the secret I swear, but people have already seen my bent 3905 FLM chassis V1, gosh !

I knew about the Ti plates, we will expect a review in the future lol Which Ti plates ?

I knew about the monoblock and sorry again about the shaft and fitment

Those Ultralite diffs from UE should be fairly bullet proof. Sorry UE goofed up on the order. I'm glad and surprised you found the correct gears on Tower.
    Don't be sorry, without your help it would have been impossible to build this MT ! Thanks again ! (yep, Zack bought the UE stuff for me because UE website doesn't accept international credit card...).

Can't wait to see your 1/5th scale MT on RCM. Before I need to find a job, a house, a new girlfriend, etc. So it's not a priority
    Answers in blue

RC Champion
    You're showing me up with the 19volts!! Stop it!! A new friend of mine from the track(I'll be racing this whole summer ) accidentally plugged one of my 2s packs and my 4s pack together into my series plug a couple of weeks ago! I was charmed to hear the auto cell count chirp 6 times lol. My current gearing would have put me at like 65.

You'll really love that RCM CD/motor mount. This should really be posted in my surprises section lol, in that I can't believe with our your intuitive creativity that you haven't at least figured out a way to install and test it. Surely. You know I would have bought one the second they came out if I hadn't already purchased that Truggy type chassis for my maxx the HCR Mutant Maxx.
    Do you know I bought one ? And I anodized it in black :

It's not a problem for me to install it, I don't know if I should. If so, why ? (given that I'm a basher).

Surprises:
    The anodizing looks amazing and totally took me by surprise great job!

The Swamp Dogs from Imex look fantastic! I had no idea. They really make the truck look totally scale, like a real huge MT along with the wicked Ford body. Yeah love them
    Again.......

RC Champion
    Questions:
    Where are the Super Shocks?!!! Héhé, why !? My big bores are great !!!

I forgot what springs those are, tell me again. Where are the black socks? The blue just looks awful!! Just kidding! I use Trinity Monster springs (discontinued), the best alternative is the VG Racing springs (http://store.vgracing.com/heavy-duty-springs.html). I'm just too lazy to install the boots in fact

Are the Swamp Dogs heavier than the Mashers? Can't wait for their review. Yep they weigh 425g with Maximizer beadlocks (against 352g for Mashers with Max bead).

I'm sorry to ask I can't remember if you've revealed but do you have Acer all throughout? Yes ! Do you ant my Excel file ?

We need the current running weight. I have yet to figure out how to weigh mine accurately. Wheels/tires x4 : 1680g / Life pack x2 : 935g / Chassis : 3800g / Body & clips : 237g. TOTAL : 6652g !!

Oh how I wish we could bash together! I just need a job to finance the trip in US !!

-Zack
    And again !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx

I know... This hobby kills me financially speaking !
    You haven't run it and you want to buy an ERBE !! You're crazy I spend money in MTs I often run, you spend money in MTs you don't run, what's worse ? A stock ERBE is a really sturdy and durable truck, if you prefer running than building/upgrading, don't hesitate, buy it ! (I can't believe I'm writing that... I love my maxx !! ).
    I will make a vid asap, but for the 1/5 project teaser, I need really more time, as I've already written above, it's not my top priority currently...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenie
    That is very nice indeed.

I'll be honest, I thought you had lost the plot when I saw the first pictures, it looked the same. But a few pics in you could see the difference, nice clean, tidy and well thought out job as usual.
    I couldn't change radically the chassis structure because it was already great So of course this 6s step isn't as impressive as the previous steps because the mods are hardly visible.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenie
    Just looked back through the whole Thread again last night, it is a fantastic build, you can forget how detailed it is when your just following the lasted posts.

Btw, those Axial posts are great aren't they, I used them for a wing mount mod I had on my pervious shell. Definitely something people could use for all sorts of things, so keep them in mind everyone.
    Thanks ! 2nd birthday of this thread by 8 days !

From this :

To this :

Crazy...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothies
    How do those lifepo4 packs perform? Was thinking about getting a couple myself.
    I will post a review of my first runs tomorrow

RC Champion
    thats a massive transformation, between the 2 pics!!! looks good.
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Champion
    So, just what is still stock on this beast now?

The big bores, single plate with dust covers and the aluminum toe links are upgrades from Traxxas but aren't 3905-stock so they don't count.

I think the only things you haven't touched are the transmission, axles, bumper mounts, body mounts, receiver box and those cut up skid plates, no?

Such a short list either way.

I forget what you've done with the steering bell crank and servo saver, so not sure what's stock or not there.

I bet most screws aren't stock either.

RC Champion
    Popoxx
    Before I need to find a job, a house, a new girlfriend, etc. So it's not a priority
    If you stick with this hobby you will have to find a GOOD job, a house with a large work shop and the girl friends will come and go.
    What a great job your build is. So many people benefitted from your 2 years of posting, I included. You patiently answered questions even the ones form posters too lazy to read the thread. What you have accomplished says a lot about the person you are.

Sparky
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mjosparky
    Popoxx

If you stick with this hobby you will have to find a GOOD job, a house with a large work shop and the girl friends will come and go.
    What a great job your build is. So many people benefitted from your 2 years of posting, I included. You patiently answered questions even the ones form posters too lazy to read the thread. What you have accomplished says a lot about the person you are.

Sparky
    I'm honored
    I think the most difficult will be to find a comprehensive girlfriend

The purpose of this build thread was always the same : to help people to strengthen their E-Maxx without difficult mods which require specific tools !
    And I do it with pleasure !

I understand the laziness of people, it's easier to ask a question rather than reading the 22 pages... I get lost myself in my thread

RC Champion
    What did you use the Duratrax Screw pins 3x45mm, line 128 of parts list, for? I have looked and can't find it.

Sparky
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Champion
    They are used with nuts to secure the MMM I'm sure it can't be ejected !

RC Qualifier
    Man this has gone along way.
    Remember the old Nimh batterys you ran, now LiFePo4's.
    MMM/FLM 3905 E-Maxx
    Villan EX

RC Champion
    Your thread really is a tremendous help like I mentioned a couple pages back. I think I've gone through it fully twice now.

I'm glad you and all the other E-Maxx veterans stick around here and share their knowledge with everyone. I'd still be lost from breaking my axle carriers back in January I think if it weren't for that.

RC Champion
    I run my 6s maxx three times Result : a mix of bad luck and disappointment

Bad luck :

First jump - first tree...

Paint peels off and some breaks...

Maybe my front notches were too big I don't know. But given that the lexan is thick, it breaks rather than splitting. So I will never buy again this type of body, I keep my stock bodies, easy to prepare, easy to replace. I made that to reinforce them though :

(From my old 3906 bodies ! )

RC Champion
    Aaaaaarms...

I broke these arms during a bash session in a really bad spot with too much trees... But I often break lower front arms, I'm going to test alu arms (yes I said alu, but just for these lower front arms I swear ).

These tires are great (good grip, nice design, no ballooning), just bad luck... It happened once with my Mashers.

Really huge jump ! It's the first time I break shocks like this
    I broke some shock rod ends and I slightly bent my front shock tower... Bad sessions...

RC Champion
    Disappointments :

The body, of course, but also the Monoblock. I installed it because I thought the power of the 6s LiFe pack will be too much. But no, the power isn't so impressive So I removed it, and it's funnier Wheeliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiies !

The LiFe packs are great, fast charge, powerful (cool top speed, but I'm a basher ), 30' runtime, good temps (90°F w/ 60°F ambiant) but they are a bit too heavy so my suspension suffers (front lower arms especially).
    I chose a 68/22 FGR finally, but I'm going to order smaller pinions to get more torque.

I still love my maxx despite these breakages and bad investments
    But I'm really happy with my UE diff (Ofna in fact, only the cases are made by UE) + LiFe packs ! It's the most important finally !

We will see if my maxx is reliable on the long run !

RC Champion
    Here's the question: Just how big were these jumps you were doing? That's a crazy amount of damage.

It's kinda sad to see so much damage done to such a newly built up truck.

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast