RC Champion

Back, still getting BL, but some changes..

Ok guys, ive been having problems the past few days, that have stopped me from logging on to see my last post about me getting BL.. i was planning on getting a MM 4600 sidewinder combo w/ a 2S lipo, but now i have a change of plans, i am going to use my 8 cell 3000 pack [which peaks at like 11.something volts] instead of dropping the load with LiPo all in one order.. That way i can save some money this paycheck.. So, for a 4600 and 8 cells, what speeds am i looking at? 55? And what gearing should i run? Idk what gearing brushless requires.. thanks!
    Richard
    2.5 Tmaxx
    Soon to be MM E Rusty

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On 8 cells you should be able to hit 55 with the SW 4600, but I don't know what gearing it'll need. On my 5700 I thread-locked a 18T pinion onto the shaft and adjust the gear ratios with spurs as needed. I run a 76T on the street, 83T for street and some dirt, 86T for all around, and 90T for grass. The 4600 will be a little different because of the lower kV, but that is what works for me.

RC Champion
    Hmm ok. I sorta need someone who has the 4600, b/c i need to know by tomorrow thats when the order goes out.. Also, i made another change.. Im going to buy me another stick pack, identical to mine, and use the Y harness i have to hook them together [right now i have a stick pack and 2 cells hooked together w/ the Y harness] So I will then have 12 cells, which mamba states you CAN use on the 4600 combo.. And unsullied, if i remember correctly from a wayyyss back, didnt you use to have a 12 cell Rusty?? Jeez. I bet 12 cells w/ a Mamba is insanity!! Could I actually be looking at 65 for all around gearing then?!?! That would be very, very nice to keep up with a Jato lol... But yea didnt you use to have a 12 cell rusty?
    2.5 Tmaxx
    Soon to be MM E Rusty

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I still have the batteries and adapter to run 12 cells, and it is quite powerful. If you're going with the same method I am on the gearing, 18-20T on the pinion would be good, and a 76T would really get some screaming speed out of it. Geared 20/76 on 12 cells you should hit 65 or better, according to BrianG's calculator you could hit 75 but unless you've got a downhill slope I doubt you'd hit that. When you see what 50-60 is like, you may rething trying for 70

RC Qualifier
    I run a Sidewinder 4600 with gearing 20/76 and on the 12cell adapter I get a little lead on my buddies Jato on the straight.
    VXL Rusty
    SW4600 Pede
    E-Maxx 3905
    Emaxx 3906

RC Champion
    Nice unsullied spy and extremeheat, thanks a bunch Can these motors really take that type of gearing?? Atm my brushed setup on 8 cells is 15/86 i believe, but the gearing your suggesting is INSANE... is that on road or just all around, on AND off? And yea 65 is all i WOULD want, i mean i heard from a friend that he has the 7700 on a 2S lipo, it can do 55 to 60 and he said its uncontrollable at 60 anyway, well, at least for him I think i should get some anacondas too but im trying to save a bit of money.. Also, should i get the castle link USB thing? Is there even a way you can adjust the ESC w/o it?
    2.5 Tmaxx
    Soon to be MM E Rusty

RC Champion
    If you have the little extra it takes to jump to the Mamba Max setup, you should in my opinion. Castle Link REALLY makes things easier. To make a few changes and update the ESC only takes a minute with this software. Once the software is installed, it truly is ultra easy to use. Needless to say, I really like it. So much so that I just bought another MM ESC.
    DTM rocks! Audi kicking some M-B rear! :)

RC Champion
    Well what i am saying is is that the Sidewinder combo is 130 bucks, and the Castle link addon is only 20 bucks more, and i was asking if i should go ahead and get it in this order... Which from what you say, i should.. The regular MM combo is 210 bucks, which i dont want to spend that much on at the moment..
    2.5 Tmaxx
    Soon to be MM E Rusty

RC Qualifier
    Personally I have the MM 5700 in mine and 12 cells with 14/78 gearing its ungodly.

RC Champion
    Ah. Sounds like you have a plan. Please post a follow-up on your thoughts regarding that 4600.

RC Champion
    Will do. Also, can the sidewinder ESC REALLY take 12 cells? It states that it can on Castles website for the sidewinder 4600, but the 5700 is 8 cells max.. Its just a LOT cheaper than the origional MM combo, and i just want to make sure that the ESC doesnt fry on that much power... Im not even worried about the motor, its just that the ESC is fairly new and all..
    2.5 Tmaxx
    Soon to be MM E Rusty

RC Champion
    I'd only be guessing, so I have to defer to Castle's tech support team. They're good people, and will talk it through with you. If you have a couple spare minutes today, I suggest you give them a call.

RC Champion
    Ok, i may give them a call. If not if they say it can take 12 cells, Im guessing they arent lying.. Also, on their speed/gearing chart on their website, it shows that if you are running the 4600 sidewinder on 12 cells, it states that you MUST use the largest spur gear available.. Now what you guys are suggesting is the 76T spur, which i believe is the smallest gear available?!!?! Whats up with that?
    2.5 Tmaxx
    Soon to be MM E Rusty

RC Champion
    Right, but you'll notice at the bottom of that chart, "Motor gearing is a recommended starting point ONLY; Always start with the smallest pinion and largest spur available for your application."

If you're looking to do speed-runs, then the 76 spur with a 20+ pinion is where you want to start, but monitor your temps very closely. For bashing, I run a 19/83 setup, and will be running a 19/86 as soon as the places I typically buy from stock up again.

We had two 86 spurs, but one is on an XL-5, and the other looks like swiss cheese after a beach run without using the gear cover.....not smart!

RC Champion
    AHHHH. Ok. I TOTALLY missed that. So for some on road and some off road usage would 18/76 do it? I run some on road, and some off road. Will prolly be aiming toward more on road but i want to keep the temps lower than what the motors max temp is...
    2.5 Tmaxx
    Soon to be MM E Rusty

RC Champion
    I'd only use that 76 for speed runs, but not for general usage. My 83 pushes it with temps as it is. My advice is go with 19/86 gearing. You'll still have insane, barely driveable power, with great speed on and off road.

RC Champion
    Sounds good man. Ill put that on my order, and also get a 20/76 set for when i just want to show off on road also picking up rear anacondas.. Do they still stick well on off road like grass, and maybe a little dirt? Like I said this is mainly for on road but then again sometimes i feel like dirtying it up a bit
    2.5 Tmaxx
    Soon to be MM E Rusty

RC Champion
    Anacondas are useless on grass. There are many threads up here on tires for all kinds of setups. For example, the "Best Tires..." thread up here today.

RC Champion
    lol.. man.. Well i think ill get them and then put my stockers back on for grass, even tho they are running low on treads... but from what ive heard if i kept those low treaded stockers on my Rusty and then put a MM in and ran it on the road, it would have NO treads b4 too long.. Thanks for all your help mate!
    2.5 Tmaxx
    Soon to be MM E Rusty

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you want a Mamba Max cheaper than $210 (I'm assuming you are looking at Tower Hobbies) THIS is a good deal, that's the 5700 combo but they have the 4600 for the same price. $180 and free shipping is $30 more than the SW and CC Link before shipping, and you get a better ESC and you don't have to worry about losing the CC Link cable (the Mamba Max ESC uses a standard mini-USB plug, I use the cable from my Creative Zen MicroPhoto to adjust settings on mine).