Thread: Holy Smokes!

Holy Smokes!

This has nothing to do with the truck running but the man in the brown truck stopped by and dropped off the T-Maxx (4908) and holy smokes it is HUGE! Didn't think it would be that big since I'm used to my, probably 20-year-old, Kyosho Big Boss. I'll have to get photos of them side by side. I got it in red and think it looks pretty sweet! I plan on waiting a couple weeks before I run it since I have to study for a state certification exam for firefighting. I need to pass it and if I get started on this thing, I'll never study!

If you can resist you have a stronger will than I. Just make sure you go over the manual and the DVD, especially the thing about tuning. If you don't have a hand held temp guage It would be a good thing to get.

congrats on your New TMAXX!!
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Welcome to the club! Any Questions just throw them up here and you will surely get an answer.
    President
    No Limit R/C of Maryland

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah the new T-Maxx with the extended chassis has got to be pretty close to 1/8th scale. Big!

+1 on what Nitronaught said about the temp gun. GET ONE!!!! The biggest mistake people make with these new trucks is letting them run too hot with an improper tune. If your old truck is nitro then I don't mean to give you the 101 in tuning, but if it wasn't nitro here you go:

The engine will come with factory needle settings. Remember these!!!

The high speed needle (HSN) will be 4 turns out from closed. That is to say if you screw the HSN in until it is just getting snug you should beable to count the turns in and get 4!

The low speed needle (LSN) will be flush with the housing in which it sits.

Break in the motor as per the book. You can break the motor in over several days, or weeks, it doesn't matter. Just break it in properly!
    During break in you MAY go through glow plugs. Carry some spares!

Once the motor is broken in this doesn't mean you need to go and lean out the motor to race conditions. This is bad for the longevity of the motor. You really need to let the motor "relax" over quit of bit of fuel before you really start tuning it! It will hold a tune better and be more reliable for you! I'm not saying don't lean out the needles after break in but just don't get crazy about it. Don't be afraid to let the motor do it's own thing for a little while longer then 5 tanks!

The biggest engine saver is monitoring your engine temps regularly. This is where the hand held temp guage comes in to play, obviously. When you're learning to tune keeping an eye on the temps is a HUGE must. An engine temperature won't give you the BEST tune but it will help you get close to a good tune. And save you from running your motor too lean. Overheating it. This is also bad for it. If your engine is ever over heating the first thing you need to do is reset your needles back to factory settings. And let the motor cool down (with piston at bdc ofcourse). Then retune!

Another big engine saver is storing the piston at bottom dead center (BDC) in the sleeve. The top of the sleeve is tapered and if you allow the piston to sit in the taper while the engine cools the taper won't shrink down to the size it should because the piston is restricting it! This could cause you to loose some compression!

You can mark the engine and flywheel at bdc pretty easily! Remove the glow plug and use a good strong light (I use a reading lamp) and look throug the hole. You will see the piston. Next turn the flywheel counter clockwise by hand and you will see the piston move up and down. When the piston is close to as low as it gets stop rotating the flywheel.

Next take some of your gf's, wife's, sister's nail polish and put a line on the RIGHT side of the engine. Continue that over the flywheel. You'll know you did it right when you turn the flywheel again and everytime the two lines meet up the piston is at bdc.

Anyway I hope you enjoy the new truck. I also hope these tips will help your hobby experience be a good one!
    Last edited by Tuskony; 06-05-2008 at 07:27 PM.
    complete n00blet

RC Qualifier
    Honestly its just +10 on anything nitronaught says. He is the nitro guru around here.
    YZ250, PE Revo 18tz,3.3 Rustler, vxl slash.

RC Champion
    Good info Tuskony. +2 with the temp gun. I use mine everytime I run my truck and it has proved to be an invaluable tool. Feel free to ask any questions you may have and welcome to our community.
    O.S. 18TM, Jeep body, Ofna failsafe and Bandit VXL

RC Qualifier
    wow tuskony just dropped a knowledge bomb on you (and me)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Tuskony just typed a book , but everything you need to know is in there. Very good post Rob
    Werks powered Mugen MBX6T!!!!

RC Qualifier
    yea what they said

RC Champion
    Tuskony just typed a novel.. Lol. But i agree w/ everything him and nitronaught said, and also the 300 other people that tacked on loll... When i got my 2.5 Tmaxx my E-Rusty looked like a Micro T sitting side by side with the monster looll.
    2.5 Tmaxx
    Soon to be MM E Rusty

Thanks for all the info fellas! This is my first nitro and I am trying really hard not to fuel it up and go. I really need to study. I did hook up the failsafe this morning and am thinking of places for the fuel filter to go. I do have the Traxxas on-board digital temp gauge for it too.
    My wife caught me working on it when she came into the garage to leave. I told her I'm making up the rules as I go, but I did get some studying done before work!
    My boss thinks its cool so I half expect him to get one too pretty soon.

Hang in there, this is an expensive hobby so get good grades on them tests so you can get a good job, earn tons of cash and send ole Nitronaught a nice RC in appreciation. lolll

Anyways, I'm trying to do that with my kids so they can support me when I retire. lolll

Enjoy... Have a problem drop a thread.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Thanks for the wishes and willing to help. I haven't started it yet and am waiting for a new throttle servo from Traxxas. The other one would twitch only when giving the throttle. The steering servo didn't do it and when I applied the brake the servo would be okay. I even plugged the steering servo into the throttle's slot and it was okay. Oh well.
    I finally have pictures, here's what I used to run. Well, I still will occassionally...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    Hang in there, this is an expensive hobby so get good grades on them tests so you can get a good job, earn tons of cash...
    I've had all my coworkers ask if I got it up and running (both from my main job and the fire hall) but sadly I have not. I so want to but I promised myself that come Saturday afternoon, the fun will begin!