RC Racer

Need advice on roll cage for my 3.3 revo

So after a hard landing on my top, and bending my chassis and breaking many other various parts, I decided to get a roll cage or something to protect my engine from taking hits if I flip it over, any recommended ones? I just got the revo platinum chassis so I dont want to mess it up. Thanks.

RC Racer
    I've been using the HBZ cage which has worked out very well. I'm sure that it's saved me potential damage. On the other hand, some here say that it is heavy and I've discovered that it doesn't work with a rear wing. As far as the weight goes, I don't have anything to compare it to so I really don't know, my Revo still pulls wheelies, no problem. They run around $50, street retail.

I'm planning on modifying the wing to fit the chassis with the cage installed.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by F1Addict
    I've been using the HBZ cage which has worked out very well. I'm sure that it's saved me potential damage. On the other hand, some here say that it is heavy and I've discovered that it doesn't work with a rear wing. As far as the weight goes, I don't have anything to compare it to so I really don't know, my Revo still pulls wheelies, no problem. They run around $50, street retail.

I'm planning on modifying the wing to fit the chassis with the cage installed.

That one looks pretty nice, thanks for the info.

RC Qualifier
    RC Solutions makes one you can check it out at rc-solutions.com

I have the RC solutions cage and I love it.
    My stress testing so far has been quite successfull.

RC Qualifier
    I would go with HBZ for sure. I have one on my aftershock. The first cage broke because of a manufacture defect but they have a lifetime warrenty so the shipped me a brand new one. so even it you break (wich it pretty hard) they will replace it. I dont have a revo cage but I hear they can be used with the body on. Check them out here:http://www.hbzusa.com/

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yellerevo
    I would go with HBZ for sure. I have one on my aftershock. The first cage broke because of a manufacture defect but they have a lifetime warrenty so the shipped me a brand new one. so even it you break (wich it pretty hard) they will replace it. I dont have a revo cage but I hear they can be used with the body on. Check them out here:http://www.hbzusa.com/

I was disapointed with my HBZ cage. Right away the extra weight had me breaking arms like they are free. So I upgraded to rpm arms and that fixed the problem. The guy at my LHS said "you will never hurt this cage"
    hahahahahaha....load of garbage that was. One huge air backflip attempt gone wrong...landed on the rear really hard...cage bent badly out of shape and in the process broke my front body mount. I'll never put a cage on something again. I've landed upside down from the same heights with my .060 proline body and came away with no damage.
    I however did not know that they had a lifetime warranty. Thats good to know now maybe I can send mine in and get a replacement so I can at least ebay it or something.

I did really like the look of my cage though. My body didn't fit over it so I made my own body panels out of lexan to mount on the cage so it looked kind of rock crawler-ish.

Edit: Meh....nevermind, just checked, warranty does not cover bending, just breaking. That is lame. Of coarse the cage is gonna bend before a weld breaks 99% of the time.
    Last edited by cuzican; 06-12-2008 at 12:56 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Well I never said I knew how it worked on a revo. That is good to know so I wont put one on mine. The aftershock one has worked well for me though. And they do look pretty cool.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I used to run a VG racing cage, I think they're good because they hook up to the bumper mount, so there is given flex for the cage instead of breaking bodumounts or bending the chassis, the worst that can happen is broken bumper mounts after long term use, cages are most helpful on pavement rollovers
    I memorized pi to 200 digits!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There are some to be had on ebay for under $50 shipped, my friend got one and it stands up to abuse really well
    My sig is way extra more better than yours!

RC Enthusiast
    I have the rc solutions on my revo and it takes alot of abuse. I've done a few roof slides and it is holding up very well. It is a little bulky but it is made out of aluminum. I haven't trashed any a-arms with it on. As of yet. Only severed antena due to a roof slide. Very durable, a little expensive. $140 from my lhs.
    Revo Basher Ready

RC Racer
    Yeah, I've bent my HBZ a couple times but as it turns out... you can bend it back I've launched my Revo great heights and over great distances on both asphalt and dirt and have never broken anything.

The stock Revo body can be modified to fit over the cage with minimal effort...

And it fits under the ProLine Desert Rat without modification (other than installing the ProLine extended body mounts)

I promise, there's an HBZ cage in there.

I would rate my experience with the HBZ cage as 8.5 out of 10. The only things I don't like about it are that it flares the body out at the bottom but my understanding is that other cages do the same. The other thing is that the finish is not as durable as I would like, it scratches easily but I'm not sure if there's a solution to that when you slide the thing on the lid (no shell) for 100 yards, I guess scratches are inevitable

RC Racer
    Thanks for all the help guys especially the pics.

RC Racer
    the r/c solutions cage is about 3/4 the weight of the hbz cage but both are excellent cages IMO

RC Racer
    here is the cage i use. i like it and its vervy strong. http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-REVO-3-3...QQcmdZViewItem
    revo 3.3 and
    nitro 4-tec 3.3 for sale

RC Qualifier
    If you dont want the cage, it weighs waaaaayyyyy to much, install either a tekno or revo wing mount with a pro line wing. It will protect your motor from impacts just fine. I have had some bad landings, not a scratch on the motor. Cage s bad IMO,

RC Champion
    _
    /_/._ _ _
    / //_ /_ /_/