RC Racer

My Report - New E-Revo

Picked up my black one (red accents) today. Here is my take. Impressions before driving it:

The box is boring - I like the older style with blown up views of every feature. This is plain with the same picture on almost every side.

This thing is BIG!! Seems MUCH bigger than my old 3906. Very long and seems wider (but its probably not). Suspension is set up with a ton of sag. The bottom front of the chassis won't touch the floor with the suspension fully compressed - the springs fully collapse and act as a stop. Not sure if the regular Revo is like that or not. Suspension is SUPER plush, but I'm sure anyone with a Revo knows that.

Love the body & low slung stance. I was concerned about the wing mount, but it seems sturdy yet flexible. Seems like it will hold up - let's see . . .

Battery doors are pretty cheap & flimsy. They don't really have a hinge - they just flip back & forth. Seems like they may break at some point. Here is the important part - I have True RC 8000 mah 10C batts. They are supposed to be 28mm tall, but I have to literally jam them in the compartment, and that's with the top "pressure plates"/tensioners removed. FYI, my batts measure 1 3/16" with my tape - not sure if that is 28mm or not. If you are thinking about a 30mm battery, forget it. Also, my batts are only supposed to be 45mm wide, but they stick out the side a fair amount. The batt. doors have a "cup" to them and seem to cover up the excess hangover battery fairly well. To be realistic, 26mm (assuming 1 3/16 = 28m) is a better fit for the chassis (hello True RC 6400 15Cs).

The chassis seems very stiff along the main channel. The battery trays are pretty flimsy from the top & bottom, but I can't seem to flex the chassis overall.

I put my old 3906 motor & ESC (albeit an EVX-2) in it since I plan to swith to brushless and want to sell my new stuff. Here are my driving impressions:

Steering is a little slower than I would have thought for those servos, but it is def. better than the 3906.

The motors look like sparklers at night (a little off point, but somewhat amusing).

The most significant point is both good and bad - this thing is boring to drive. The suspension and handling is so good that the poor titans can seem to get it much trouble. It is evident that the truck can handle (and needs to make it interesting) way more power. The CoG seems LOW - I just drove it on pavement for 5 minutes and I can do spins at will at top speed and it didn't even think about flipping over. I was originally planning to hold out until the MMM issues are fixed and they come out with the machine wound Neu (i.e. a decent $325 +/- combo), but now I might have to do something sooner. Keep in my I was only running on two 2s lipos. Not sure how this compares to 14 good NiMhs. To be honest, this truck needs and should have come out with at least a mild brushless get-up.

That's my report. Curious to hear others thoughts . . .

RC Racer
    You ain't kidding about it being LOW! I want / need a skid plate that protects the exposed lower parts of the chassis itself, I already dinged it once, and roughed up the skid plates some.

Good call on the slow steering - very wide turns.

The suspension is very very plush, you're right about that. Even as a newb I'm considering figuring out how to put in the stiffer springs it came with.

And both me and my LHS owner agreed that he's going to need to keep battery covers in stock, it looks like in just opening & closing them on a regular basis the plastic will eventually wear out and break.

- Tony

RC Competitor
    Would it be possible for either of you two to post a few close up shots of the battery trays and doors, the "boring" box, the bottom of the chassis, and maybe a few pics of the whole truck with the body on?

I am really jealous of the lucky people who have these trucks

RC Racer
    Kraeger - is that easy for you? I don't think I have ever posted a pic and I'm not sure I want to learn how. Birdy - you out there?

I think the gallery on the website and the features/details section has quite a few pics of the battery doors/compartments. To be honest, you probably need to open & close them to understand where we are coming from. The whole setup just seems a little flimsy. The doors are basically connected kind of like the maxx shock spring spacers - just that the plastic part (that breaks on the spacers!) is a lot longer.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kraegar
    You ain't kidding about it being LOW! I want / need a skid plate that protects the exposed lower parts of the chassis itself, I already dinged it once, and roughed up the skid plates some.

Good call on the slow steering - very wide turns.

The suspension is very very plush, you're right about that. Even as a newb I'm considering figuring out how to put in the stiffer springs it came with.

And both me and my LHS owner agreed that he's going to need to keep battery covers in stock, it looks like in just opening & closing them on a regular basis the plastic will eventually wear out and break.

- Tony
    Thats what the skid plates are for.... It is not made to stay pretty looking. Go run it and have fun.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by js59
    Kraeger - is that easy for you? I don't think I have ever posted a pic and I'm not sure I want to learn how.
    Here's a thread on how to post pictures

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=330458

RC Racer
    Kraeger - is that easy for you? I don't think I have ever posted a pic and I'm not sure I want to learn how. Birdy - you out there?

I think the gallery on the website and the features/details section has quite a few pics of the battery doors/compartments. To be honest, you probably need to open & close them to understand where we are coming from. The whole setup just seems a little flimsy. The doors are basically connected kind of like the maxx shock spring spacers - just that the plastic part (that breaks on the spacers!) is a lot longer.
    Here is a few pics I posted of the battery tray:

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...=1#post2345316

RC Racer
    Um...1 3/16" = 30.16mm

RC Racer
    True RC must not know how to measure. Sounds like fit will be a case by case determination. I wouldn't rely too much on published dimensions - at least in the case of True RC.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ERevoaddict
    Thats what the skid plates are for.... It is not made to stay pretty looking. Go run it and have fun.
    I follow you on the skid plates, but I actually nicked the chassis itself, not a skid plate, just in front of the rear a-arm.

RC Racer
    Here's a few pics. Sorry for the odd angles, my wife took them while I held the revo & tape. If a different view / angle would help, I can get some more.

RC Racer
    Looks like 1 1/8 for the height, which is 28.5mm - they will flex another 1/16" (1.5mm), but that's about it. Someone asked about 32.5mm - I don't see that happening.

how are you liking the truck

[QUOTE=kraegar]Here's a few pics. Sorry for the odd angles, my wife took them while I held the revo & tape. If a different view / angle would help, I can get some more.

what battery are you using

RC Racer
    Where do the battery's wires go?

RC Racer
    Just using 5000 mah venom packs, cause they were cheap & onhand.

I can show a pic with those in, if that helps. (probably wouldn't, lol)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MacII
    Where do the battery's wires go?
    There's a small gap when the door closes that the wires go through. I'll take a couple more quick pics to show.

RC Racer

RC Qualifier
    nice pics. Do you have a digital caliper to do measurements with?

I'll have to measure my truerc packs for sure.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cain
    nice pics. Do you have a digital caliper to do measurements with?

I'll have to measure my truerc packs for sure.

I don't, sorry. I don't even have a mechanical caliper.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kraegar
    There's a small gap when the door closes that the wires go through. I'll take a couple more quick pics to show.
    Thanks very much. I especially like the photo with the battery in there. I guess when my E-Revo finally does arrive (I ordered it from a LHS to be supportive, real cost is they get it after the big guys) I can see I'll be taking a dremmel to it right away. I'm using TrakPower batteries which have the top loading 4mm connectors, gonna either cut out large chunks of that rear vent or make holes right above the battery for them...

Not to come down on the truck before I even get it but the battery bay idea is kind of poor design. It should have been made open to allow for more types and sizes of batteries. Some nice integrated velcro straps would have been ideal. Oh well, guess that opens the door for some "hop up" company to make a special chassis. How many weeks till that happens? Or is it days?

is it really saggy with those 7 cell in the like the e-maxx

RC Racer
    I only have 6 cell batts in for now. The whole thing is really plush / saggy right now, suspension wise. No idea if that's normal for a revo - it really sits down when you nail it.

And I bought mine at the LHS, too. Just got lucky on how quick they got them in! I'm a big fan of supporting the local guy - he got me hooked on this, and he's been super helpful all around.

RC Qualifier
    No problem about the caliper.

Too bad I don't have a LHS that supports racing. The only one here is more into warhammer stuff. Also, items have killer mark up.

I agree about the battery bays. A bigger size should have been used at least. 35mm would have been great, or have the option to use straps for the packs. But, considering on the E-maxx I had to raise up the stock posts even with the 28mm strap, not suprised they went with that size again.

darn shame, I am really torn right now as I would like to get the truck, but I really don't want to get some new batts if I can avoid it.

RC Racer
    Wow sounds like I will buy some Integy battery bars ***Hint Hint Integy***. My slash just arrived by UPS, And my E-Revo won't be here untill monday or tuesday. I Can't wait for the E-Revo, you guys are so luck you have your allready.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by saydee1800
    is it really saggy with those 7 cell in the like the e-maxx
    The truck has a fair amount of sag (preload is easy to jack up), but it still has some bottoming resistance. Seems like the E-maxx would blow through its travel pretty quickly. Not the case with the revo - I think the suspension is much more of a progressive/rising rate setup.

RC Champion
    I posted this before

I have two brand new truerc 2s2p 8000 mah packs on my desk right now..they measure

1 1/8"x 1 3/4"x 5 5/8"
    and the batery wires are super long ......the battery to the end of the deans plug there 7 5/8"
    MMM is giving new meaning to "Make Em Cry

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTITUP
    I posted this before

I have two brand new truerc 2s2p 8000 mah packs on my desk right now..they measure

1 1/8"x 1 3/4"x 5 5/8"
    and the batery wires are super long ......the battery to the end of the deans plug there 7 5/8"
    Are you asking if those will fit? If so, they will but it's a tight squeeze. I'm assuming yours are 10Cs - I think the 15Cs are thicker - I have the same packs. My leads are long as well - have to rubber-band them to keep them out of the tires!!

RC Racer
    So
    1 1/8" = 28.6mm
    1 3/4" = 44.5mm
    5 5/8" = 142.9mm

That is suppose to fit but some say they don't? Mine will be here next week as well but I haven't ordered batteries yet. So do these guys fit or not? They are the ones I was going to get.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo Fan
    So
    1 1/8" = 28.6mm
    1 3/4" = 44.5mm
    5 5/8" = 142.9mm

That is suppose to fit but some say they don't? Mine will be here next week as well but I haven't ordered batteries yet. So do these guys fit or not? They are the ones I was going to get.
    They will fit fine. My are 30mm X 45mm. Length isn't much of an issue . . .

RC Champion
    Are you asking if those will fit? If so, they will but it's a tight squeeze. I'm assuming yours are 10Cs - I think the 15Cs are thicker - I have the same packs. My leads are long as well - have to rubber-band them to keep them out of the tires!!

no I was just letting people know what the batteries measure and btw mine are 15c
    MMM is giving new meaning to "Make Em Cry

RC Qualifier
    hear is what my 8000mah 15C TrueRC Packs are coming out as:

30.5mm x 45.5mm x 141mm

So I would say its a no go then.

RC Qualifier
    just ordered an E-revo. So I will see first hand if the TrueRCs fit.