RC Qualifier

Anyone ever tried Neu batteries?

When I did my revo conversion, I bought (2) 6000 18.5 volt batteries from Maxamps.

Though I never had any issues with them, I have had problems with other fairly new maxamp batteries.

I thought I would try the new Neu batteries.

Anyone ever try them?

Thanks,

Mark

RC Champion
    I recently redid my lipo collection. I bought 2 Neu 30c 2s 5k and 1 5s 30c 5k, im so impressed im buying 2 3s 30c 5k's to complete my set.. well maybe a pair of 6s 30c 3300's and thats it . Check out Diversity Model Aircraft Steve B. there is a good guy, has great prices (5s 30c 5000mah 150a for $50 less than what your 5s 20c 6000 120a lists) and will solder up whatever tabs you need that day and get 'em to your door within a few days.

NeuEnergy 30c 5S-1P 5000

RC Qualifier
    JJ, thanks man, much appreciated. I loved my Neu motor so I'm assuming the same quality (and expense...lol) will go into their batteries.

I'm thinking the extra few bucks they will probably cost will be well worth it.

Mark

RC Qualifier
    Well, since we're talking about batteries, does anyone have any opinions about using 3S instead of 4S?

When I did my revo conversion, I was running 5S.... it simply was too much.

I was going to run 4S for the new erevo but I'm seriously thinking of running 3S's instead because then I can interchange batteries with my Rustler.

Is 11.1 volts too small for the much heavier erevo as opposed to a Rustler or Stampede?

Thanks,

Mark

RC Qualifier
    well it depends on the motor if it has a high enough kv it will work but not enough won't work
    I am Luke Skywalker.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush
    Well, since we're talking about batteries, does anyone have any opinions about using 3S instead of 4S?

When I did my revo conversion, I was running 5S.... it simply was too much.

I was going to run 4S for the new erevo but I'm seriously thinking of running 3S's instead because then I can interchange batteries with my Rustler.

Is 11.1 volts too small for the much heavier erevo as opposed to a Rustler or Stampede?

Thanks,

Mark

With the heavier MT's and truggy's it is best to run 4s and up. When you use higher voltage, less amps need to be drawn to get the same amount of power. Less amps means less heat and higher efficiency. This is why you see guys with the insane 1/8th conversions running higher voltage.

Here is an example.

Lets say you needed a setup capable of 1000 watts. The formula for finding watts (W) is W=Pack Voltage (V)*Amps (A)

With a 3s pack, you would need to draw about 90 amps to get 1000 watts of power. 1000=11.1*A ===> A=90

With a 4s pack, you would need to draw about 67.5 amps to get 1000 watts of power. 1000=14.8*A ===> A=67.5

The 3s setup would draw more amps from your batteries, heating them up, reducing their life and runtimes. Also, your motor would run hotter.

The 4s setup draws less amps, meaning less heat, more runtime, and improved battery lifetimes.

-Brad
    Last edited by BJE; 06-13-2008 at 07:23 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys...

Brad, I'm going to ask a stupid question. How do those equations factor in if I were to go with a 3S and say for example a 5000mah @ 30C instead of 20-25C?

Would that make a difference.

I'm thinking of using a 1515 1Y motor which I think are like 1800 watts.

Sorry for the stupid question...

Mark

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys...

Brad, I'm going to ask a stupid question. How do those equations factor in if I were to go with a 3S and say for example a 5000mah @ 30C instead of 20-25C?

Would that make a difference.

I'm thinking of using a 1515 1Y motor which I think are like 1800 watts.

Sorry for the stupid question...

Mark
    That's not a stupid question at all...

The C rating of a pack just dictates how many amps can be pulled from the pack reliably.

If you use a 3s 5000 pack, you would need to draw the same amount of amps no matter what the C rating. If you did go this route, the 30C pack would be a better choice because it would be able to support higher amp draw.

But if you went with a 4s setup, you could get the 20/25c 5000 packs and be fine because you would need less amps. This route would save you money. And the 1515 1y is really a 4s/5s motor anyway.

If I were you, I really would go with 4s on the 1515 1y (2200kv) or the 1515 1.5d (2700kv). The 1.5d would give you a little more top end between the 2. However the 1y would let you experiment with 5s or 6s if you ever got the need for speed.

-Brad
    Last edited by BJE; 06-13-2008 at 07:49 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Neu lipo packs are made from Enerland cells. The best cells are coming from South Korea and the Enerland are the best. Flight Power and Polyquest also use Enerland cells. Maxamps cells are from China, but they are not that bad.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BJE
    . And the 1515 1y is really a 4s/5s motor anyway.

And isn't that pretty well is what is necc. to pull a truck of that size and weight. I just don't want another "too much" like I did with my revo conversion. I used a 1515, 5S 5000mah battery and I was CONSTANTLY tearing stuff up... even after I repeatedly upgraded everything.

I'm assuming (yeah, we know....lol) that using a 4S in the new erevo will make the erevo run similiar to what a 3S lipo'd setup on a Rustler run....

Is that safe to say? I'm not looking for 60+ mph but I sure as heck don't want 30 neither....

Thanks for your patience and answers guys.

Mark

RC Qualifier
    try the neu pack,my friend got 5000mah 25c and that give alot power to is monter mamba and give it aolt of wheely!!

try the pack you will not disipointed!!

RC Competitor
    And isn't that pretty well is what is necc. to pull a truck of that size and weight. I just don't want another "too much" like I did with my revo conversion. I used a 1515, 5S 5000mah battery and I was CONSTANTLY tearing stuff up... even after I repeatedly upgraded everything.

I'm assuming (yeah, we know....lol) that using a 4S in the new erevo will make the erevo run similiar to what a 3S lipo'd setup on a Rustler run....

Is that safe to say? I'm not looking for 60+ mph but I sure as heck don't want 30 neither....

Thanks for your patience and answers guys.

Mark
    A 1515 1y on 4s will get you around 35 mph. If you wanted 60mph in an e revo on 4s, you'd need a motor with much higher kv.

If you want about 40mph I would look at the 1515 1.5d. I know that stumblin has one in his revo conversion and really likes it. I'd ask him about it.

I have one question, what kv Neu did you have in your Revo conversion?

-Brad

RC Qualifier
    I hope I'm telling you the correct one... I think it was the 1515 1d/F... (2700kv) with the MGM controller.

The thing was wicked fast. At 3/4 throttle in 3-4 inch tall grass, we clocked it on radar at like 54mph and at any given moment, I could pull the throttle and make it flip. (AND that was with the big monster tires....not the stock little ones from the factory)

The thing was sick.

Just out of curiousity, how does that 2700kv motor compare to the 5700kv I put in my jato conversion? Does that mean it was almost half as much power?

Thanks,

Mark

RC Competitor
    I hope I'm telling you the correct one... I think it was the 1515 1d/F... (2700kv) with the MGM controller.

The thing was wicked fast. At 3/4 throttle in 3-4 inch tall grass, we clocked it on radar at like 54mph and at any given moment, I could pull the throttle and make it flip. (AND that was with the big monster tires....not the stock little ones from the factory)

The thing was sick.

Just out of curiousity, how does that 2700kv motor compare to the 5700kv I put in my jato conversion? Does that mean it was almost half as much power?

Thanks,

Mark
    The 1515 Neu motor with 2700kv is the 1.5d. It doesn't surprise me that you thought that the 1.5d on 5s was insane. On 5s, that motor spins at nearly 50,000 rpms!

I think that if you tried that same motor on 4s you'd be happy. It would give you enough top end without being overkill.

About the 2700kv Neu, I think it would have about half the power if it were the same size as the MM motor. It seems logical, but I'm not 100% sure

RC Competitor
    Neu lipo packs are NOT made from Enerland cells. RC/Tech forum talked about this and someone called and said they were not Enerland cells.

Flight Power and Polyquest do use Enerland cells.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BJE
    A 1515 1y on 4s will get you around 35 mph. If you wanted 60mph in an e revo on 4s, you'd need a motor with much higher kv.

If you want about 40mph I would look at the 1515 1.5d. I know that stumblin has one in his revo conversion and really likes it. I'd ask him about it.

I have one question, what kv Neu did you have in your Revo conversion?

-Brad
    What would be a guess as to top speed for a 1515 1y on 6S?
    Lots of brushless power in the garage.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RCOne
    Neu lipo packs are NOT made from Enerland cells. RC/Tech forum talked about this and someone called and said they were not Enerland cells.

Interesting...I was told that Neu used Enerland cells. So if thats not true...I would definately stick with Flightpower or Polyquest. You can get the Polyquest way cheaper than the Neu packs too.

RC Champion

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay283
    If you log in...that polyquest pack is $186. Not bad for the best cells on the market.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jlanders001
    Well orangecrush used a 1515 1.5d on 5s in his revo conversion. It spun at about 49,950 rpms and gave him about 54mph.

A 1515 1y on 6s spins at about 48,840 rpms, a little slower than the above setup, but the higher voltage of 6s allows you to gear higher, increasing top end. I know that castle creations tested this motor on 6s in an E Maxx and got about 60mph.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 5sRevo
    If you log in...that polyquest pack is $186. Not bad for the best cells on the market.
    Either you have some super discount there or you looked at the 3s not the 5s 18.5v's I was compairing, it says Polyquest 5000mAh 5S 25C Lipoly $292.95, 43 instock, 699grams. If you log and get the Polyquest 25c 5000mah 5s for $186 then tell me what you get the 4s 25c 5000mah for, if its about $150 I seriously want you to buy me one lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jlanders001
    if you ran a 58/22 gear set, thats about 56 mph
    54/24 gear set thats about 62 mph
    Been there, done that.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay283
    Either you have some super discount there or you looked at the 3s not the 5s 18.5v's I was compairing, it says Polyquest 5000mAh 5S 25C Lipoly $292.95, 43 instock, 699grams. If you log and get the Polyquest 25c 5000mah 5s for $186 then tell me what you get the 4s 25c 5000mah for, if its about $150 I seriously want you to buy me one lol
    When I log in, the price drops to:

189 for the 5s 5000
    157 for the 4s 5000
    207 for the 5s 6000
    166 for the 4s 6000

I'm a gold member so I think it gets even cheaper when you become a platinum member.

RC Champion

That's kind of a ridiculous blanket statement to make simply based on hearsay. Lot's of people claim lots of things on forums that are incorrect and everything I have seen from legitimate sources says neu uses enerland cells. Either way they are top quality which is what matters when push comes to shove.

Maxamps on the other hand uses cheap Chinese cells which are overpriced for what they are. Their pricing should be more like truerc and you can get much higher quality for the same price.
    Some things are just meant to make us wonder.

RC Enthusiast
    I had heard a couple times that Neu uses Enerland cells. I always heard great things about the Neu packs so I figured they must be Enerland.

Maxamps are definatley overpriced for their so so performance, but they do a great job marketing and advertising and they also make their packs so they fit nicely in many cars.

RC Competitor
    How do you know Maxamps uses Chinese cells, based on hearsay???

If I remember correctly someone on RC/Tech Forum looked at the cells and called Nue questining them about the packs.

RC Enthusiast
    I just heard Maxamps are Chinese cells based on what I have read on a few forums. Other than that, they clearly do not perform Like Korean cells so I just assumed it was true. I really don't care where they come from, but the Koreans seem to really own the market on high quality cells.

RC Champion
    How do you know Maxamps uses Chinese cells, based on hearsay???

If I remember correctly someone on RC/Tech Forum looked at the cells and called Nue questining them about the packs.
    I asked Austin at maxamps directly.

I have also had maxamps packs fail on me.
    Some things are just meant to make us wonder.