Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Racer
    Yeah, I'm just gonna buy some TRX connectors and some wire - male connector & lvc wires on one end, female connector on the other, and then that short jumper will go between the battery & the evx2.

I'll post a pic, it's basically gonna be a little y-cable. Actually I'm surprised no one makes one, seems an obvious idea.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kraegar
    Yeah, I'm just gonna buy some TRX connectors and some wire - male connector & lvc wires on one end, female connector on the other, and then that short jumper will go between the battery & the evx2.

I'll post a pic, it's basically gonna be a little y-cable. Actually I'm surprised no one makes one, seems an obvious idea.
    Yeah that would work fine, the only thing to watch for is to make sure you always put it on the BEC side. With it removeable, you could easily switch them by accident.

RC Champion

Yeah, I am surprised too. Maybe when I order my battery packs, I'll see if they can make one up. That would be great if you could post picks if you get it together. Maybe this harness will be called the "Kraegar Harness", kind of like the "Unslow Harness" that Unslow has created! Plus, this save me from destroying my EVX2 with my soldering skills! I can afford to ruin a few TRX connectors!
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

RC Racer
    Good point - I'll be sure to mark it with tape or a dot of paint or something.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Chachi_RC
    Yeah, I am surprised too. Maybe when I order my battery packs, I'll see if they can make one up. That would be great if you could post picks if you get it together. Maybe this harness will be called the "Kraegar Harness", kind of like the "Unslow Harness" that Unslow has created! Plus, this save me from destroying my EVX2 with my soldering skills! I can afford to ruin a few TRX connectors!
    Also, if your evx-2 does have problems, you won't have to worry about warranty issues with sending it in. Just unplug it and you're good to go. Like I said above, make sure you don't plug it into the wrong side though. It won't necessarily cause a problem, but you don't want your battery going that low.

RC Racer
    Here's my connector - Lipos should be here tomorrow.

I'm really glad I chose this route, my soldering skills were very rusty, my ESC thanks me.

RC Champion

The "kraeger Harness"!!!

Nice work! That is perfect! I actually have an email into the guy I may buy batteries from to make one of those up for me! That is nice work. Let us know how it works for you, once you have a chance to run it! Man, now I am pumped!

Title: Ooops! I meant "kraegar Harness"!

RC Qualifier
    Yes, very nice work. That will work perfectly and is definitely a good idea for people new to soldering to keep from messing up their esc wires right away.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sweet, think I might have to do one of my spiffy diagrams for people to loo at in future when discussing LVC wiring. Im also stealing that picture, so
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicideneil
    Sweet, think I might have to do one of my spiffy diagrams for people to loo at in future when discussing LVC wiring. Im also stealing that picture, so
    Nice! I was glad to read a comment from you neil about this, and was hoping you thought positively, because I am going to do this too! Just make sure you refer to it as the "kraegar harness"! It is a great idea I have to say!

RC Competitor
    The manual says you need a lvc for each battery? Nobody menetioned that here?

Art

RC Champion
    You can't hook two LVC together. They will short out the batteries.
    Rustler with Stampede Body Mounts, Masher 2000's, Futaba 3PDF Radio, Tekin Rebel ESC, Magnetic Mayhem 23/87, SG2 Amber 14/87, misc 8-cell packs, RPM all around, Lunsford Turnbuckles.

RC Competitor
    I took it they would be for each battery....not together?
    As the manaul says?
    I would think just 1 on the bec side would do just as good...or just do without and when it starts to slow down just stop. I have done that on my pedes with the lvc on and when it slows I stop. The lvc never comes on. When I go to charge them the voltage is about 3.4. per cell
    Last edited by Art454; 07-03-2008 at 10:36 PM.

RC Racer
    My impression is that to do it "properly" each battery needs its own LVC. However, if they have equal starting charge, the BEC side should always drain first, so you can just have on on that side and be ok.

As for folks using my pic & idea, feel free! It saved me a lot of headache to do it that way!

RC Competitor
    My impression is that to do it "properly" each battery needs its own LVC. However, if they have equal starting charge, the BEC side should always drain first, so you can just have on on that side and be ok.

As for folks using my pic & idea, feel free! It saved me a lot of headache to do it that way!
    I like your connection.....but some well say every connection = restiance...to do it right would cost about 70- 80 bucks. I think you will find out when u start driving your truck...if you stop when it starts to slow you will be at about 3.4 volts per cell. What I found out with my pedes...guess I'll find out if the same holds true with the e-revo....I'll work my way up till it slows and check volts as I go just to be ob the safe side. I'll let you know what happens in a few weeks.

RC Competitor
    The smart thing would have had them to make the e-revo brushless to start with. For the price they should have IMO.

RC Racer
    I just picked up an apogee LOA (loud obnoxious alarm), it's all I could find locally.

http://pfmdistribution.com/secure/sh...asp?itemid=203

Since it says 2 - 4 cell lithium packs, should I just wire it to the lead that powers the esc?

RC Qualifier
    Hello

I have followed this thread with great interest and accuracy; I have an E-Maxx with 5000mAh LiPo batteries.

In order not to destroy the batteries, I have bought 2 Novak Smart-Stop Li-Po battery Cut-Off (2 cells) Circuit. They couldn’t help me in my local store so now I need your help with my original E-Maxx.

This is what I think is right, please help me with this and correct me if it is wrong.

http://webmail.bredband.net/cp/ps/x/...233945/E-Maxx/

Best Regards
    Mikael
    Sweden

RC Qualifier
    All this money being spent on LVC's, one would think it would be easier to buy a MM w/ bec and then when the titans burn slap a medusa, or Feigao type motor on there.. if not something better (neu or clone). At least you are setup for an upgrade path...

PS the best way to do this is still get a single 4s LVC, use a external BEC (castles is great) and just loop one side of the ESC and the other gets the series 4s adapter, it doesn't matter which side on the ESC because you will need to pull the red wire out of the ESC plug that goes to the RX anyway.. clean neat and just plain better.
    Last edited by 1fasterevo; 07-19-2008 at 10:30 PM.
    Neu 1515 2.5d & 1.5d, 2x MMM -sIck IaM

RC Competitor
    Here's my connector - Lipos should be here tomorrow.

I'm really glad I chose this route, my soldering skills were very rusty, my ESC thanks me.

I did mine like kraegar did works just fine....only 25 bucks in the whole thing.

RC Qualifier
    srry to bump this but would i use the 2nd pic on the very first post if wanted to run my stock motors/esc on lipos?
    E-REVO (my dream)
    ~neu 1515/1Y/S
    ~MMM

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Cant remember the outcome of that little session.

Either do this:

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...cevxwiring.jpg

Or use a 4s lvc and wire it to the first + and last - battery wire so that it sees the total voltage- use a voltmeter to check the voltage you will get before soldering anything.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    Is there an ESC, other than the Traxxas VXL-3s which has the LVC and BEC option inside the ESC itself? It must still be able to handle monster truck applications though.

Thank you
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just about all the current BL escs do.

MGM, Hobbywing, MM (requires a sperate BEC though), MMM, Kontronic Jazz & Jive etc etc.

Its really not as hard as some people seem to think it is, to just solder on a couple wires to existing wires of plugs. If you cant solder- learn how to by looking at the tutorials on youtube. Dont know where to solder the wires to? I can provide diagrams, or BrianG has a whole website that offers all the options, just have to click a few buttons and possess a little common sense really.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicideneil
    Just about all the current BL escs do.

MGM, Hobbywing, MM (requires a sperate BEC though), MMM, Kontronic Jazz & Jive etc etc.

Its really not as hard as some people seem to think it is, to just solder on a couple wires to existing wires of plugs. If you cant solder- learn how to by looking at the tutorials on youtube. Dont know where to solder the wires to? I can provide diagrams, or BrianG has a whole website that offers all the options, just have to click a few buttons and possess a little common sense really.
    I like the neater looking setup of something with everything integrated into the ESC already. That's why I ask. I hate the mess of wires and connections in the middle of the chassis. With the E-revo, stuff can interfere with the rear shocks, etc.

Thank you Neil!
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by epthegeek
    Ok, so here are pictures of my install.

The red lead from the novak goes to the red wire on the left plug, and the black lead from the novak goes to the black wire on the right plug. This is exactly the setup in the "alternate wiring" diagram at the first post of this thread. You can clearly see that the red wires for the traxxas connectors cross over. The red lead in the left plug is actually from the right side.

I hope that helps.
    BLACK WIRE BURNS

Hey guys, just wanted to say that I tried hooking up my new Smart-Stop Voltage cut-off to the EVX-2 today. I looked at this picture above for reference and soldered the leads just like its done above (nice and clean) but after a closer inspection I noticed that I wired things different. I still wired red to red and black to black, but they were soldered on opposite battery leads.

All receiver and ESC wires were connected as described in the NOVAK instructions but when I went to plug the first NIMH battery on the left side of the truck smoke started to come out immediately! It was the black wire that comes out to the receiver from the ESC along with the other 2 Red/White cables. The black line got so hot it melted all of the plastic around it leaving the wire exposed.

I have no clue what to do now.

Did soldering the wires to the power leads the way I did create the problem or should I be looking at something else which could have caused the accident?
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by djbis
    BLACK WIRE BURNS

Hey guys, just wanted to say that I tried hooking up my new Smart-Stop Voltage cut-off to the EVX-2 today. I looked at this picture above for reference and soldered the leads just like its done above (nice and clean) but after a closer inspection I noticed that I wired things different. I still wired red to red and black to black, but they were soldered on opposite battery leads.

All receiver and ESC wires were connected as described in the NOVAK instructions but when I went to plug the first NIMH battery on the left side of the truck smoke started to come out immediately! It was the black wire that comes out to the receiver from the ESC along with the other 2 Red/White cables. The black line got so hot it melted all of the plastic around it leaving the wire exposed.

I have no clue what to do now.

Did soldering the wires to the power leads the way I did create the problem or should I be looking at something else which could have caused the accident?
    Suggestions anybody?
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If I'm understanding you correctly, then you ran power through the ESC backwards?

You connected the red on the battery to the black on the ESC and vice-versa, so the bad news is...yeah, I dont think you can do that w/o issue.

The good news is....I think you may have found the problem...

As for what to do....Try to get it back the way it was...and call Traxxas.
    be nice.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    If I'm understanding you correctly, then you ran power through the ESC backwards?

You connected the red on the battery to the black on the ESC and vice-versa, so the bad news is...yeah, I dont think you can do that w/o issue.

No, read again. It was not a polarity reversal.
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No, read again. It was not a polarity reversal.
    doh!
    sorry...

I get it now.

you reversed the LVC red and black from what was posted in the pic, not the entire ESC leads themselves.

ok...

Can you post a pic?

are you sure the red and black wires were attached to the same side of the ESC? and not 1 from one side and 1 from the other?
    be nice.

RC Champion
    Basically the black NOVAK line went to the black Battery lead on the left side of the picture and the red NOVAK line went to the RED battery lead on the right.
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yeah, but both of his (in the pic you posted) go to the right.

I think its because you soldered your black Novak lead on the left instead of the right.
    Last edited by HoovHartid; 09-11-2008 at 04:02 PM.
    be nice.

RC Racer
    Was it a 2 cell or 4 cell LVC?

RC Champion
    Hmmm... no if you look one novak line is on the left and another one on the right.

I wired it like Maxamps (Alex) told me to. Using the left-most side leads coming from the ESC.

Upon comparing to this picture I saw that they were flipped but I figured that changing the red and black from one battery lead to the other would not make a difference...
    Last edited by djbis; 09-11-2008 at 04:06 PM.
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Champion
    Was it a 2 cell or 4 cell LVC?
    it was a 4Cell LVC
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmmm... no if you look one novak line is on the left and another one on the right.
    They are both connected on the right.

The red wire on the left connector, goes to the right side of the ESC.
    The black wire on the right connector, also goes to the right side of the ESC.

At least in that pic they do...follow the THICKER wires from the connectors to the ESC.
    Both wires connected to his LVC end up on the right side of his ESC.

I think I found the problem;
    (Alex) told me to. ..
    \
    \in any case, im sorry for your loss

and BEFORE you all go flaming me for my comment about Alex...I am within my right.
    He gave me BAD advice.
    Last edited by HoovHartid; 09-11-2008 at 04:31 PM.
    be nice.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    They are both connected on the right.

The red wire on the left connector, goes to the right side of the ESC.
    The black wire on the right connector, also goes to the right side of the ESC.

At least in that pic they do...follow the THICKER wires from the connectors to the ESC.
    Both wires connected to his LVC end up on the right side of his ESC.

I think I found the problem;

\
    \in any case, im sorry for your loss

and BEFORE you all go flaming me for my comment about Alex...I am within my right.
    He gave me BAD advice.

You mean he gave you bad advice too?

Whoah. I just talked to him, he said what I am looking at here is the right way.

Shame. Time and money spent.

Now I just want to know why it makes a difference in the way I wired it.
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Racer
    I don't think it would make a difference, as long as you went red to red, black to black, one on each battery lead.

Are you sure you didn't flip the cable from the ESC to the novak, or from the novak to the receiver? Not sure if that would do something bad, or what it would do...

RC Champion
    I don't think it would make a difference, as long as you went red to red, black to black, one on each battery lead.

Are you sure you didn't flip the cable from the ESC to the novak, or from the novak to the receiver? Not sure if that would do something bad, or what it would do...
    Right! That's what I am saying!

The LVC, the ESC and the receiver were connected according to the instructions. That part is pretty easy though...
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry to bump this, but im strugling with an LVC too

This is the LVC what I got. (Not too much choice here.)

How too connect the above???

- Red of one battery to the plus of the LVC
    - Black of the other battery to the minus of the LVC

Then use this type of cable for the cell adaptor

According to other drawings I found I need to make sure that the RED tapped battery its cell connection goes to pin 1??

Help much appreciated!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast