Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Neumotor 2D / MGM 16018 conversion pics

Hi Guys,

I though I would post up some pics of my E-Revo and my Neumotor MGM setup. I am running 2 Trakpower 4900's with this setup. I sold my old 3.3 a while ago. I had an Orion Wasp .26 big block in it. It was pretty darn fast. This setup smokes it easily. This is defiantly a basher setup. I might take it to the local outdoor track after I get some new dishes with crime fighters but I think it is way too fast for the track. Might be tamable if I play with some of the ESC settings more.

I don't have any speeds for you guys (no GPS) but it is scary fast. It can pull wheelies from cruising speeds if it has enough grip.

The bottom pic I have included for those of you running Trakpower batteries. I took bullet connectors and dremeled them down and put a half moon groove in the top and soldered the wires at a 90 deg angle. No clearance issues. Perfect fit. I am watching for heat buildup at that joint but they have remained as cool at the batteries so far (~110 for the short sessions I have done with it so far).

No report of total run time per charge yet. I have only done out for 10 minute stints so far. I will be at the Washougal National Motocross race this week and I will give it more of a workout while camping there.

nice! are you going to run high voltage? or just 6s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Clean as a whistle, sharp as a thistle.

Nice job on the bullets- you can find them with a hole in the wire end at 90*, or there are some with the groove already cut into them, depends where you look really, but you wont have any temp issues, they are good for about 100amps or so. Nice choice of motor too, I found a 1900kv item t be great on 4s and 5s, so 2050kv will be a champ too, especially being a Neu.

Nice job
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    nice! are you going to run high voltage? or just 6s
    No plans at this time but you never know.

This setup seems to be more than I imagined.

The Trakpowers are 2S 25C (125A continuous) @4900mah. The only reason I would change out batteries would be if I wanted longer run times.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicideneil
    Clean as a whistle, sharp as a thistle.

Nice job on the bullets- you can find them with a hole in the wire end at 90*, or there are some with the groove already cut into them, depends where you look really
    One of my LHS had them with both the straight in hole and the 90 but they were kinda cheezy. I didn't know they sold them with the groove already in them. I'll have to order some for my next set. Thanx for the tip.

RC Qualifier
    Nice setup!

RC Qualifier
    Okay, Okay, not bad, not bad at all.
    E-R-E-V-O : My anti-drug.

RC Qualifier
    Nice, that's the same controller I ordered last week because I can't wait for the MMM (which is also on order so I will have a direct comparison when the MMM comes). Only that I use a Lehner 1950/5 HiAmp... how's the MGM doing heatwise?

RC Champion
    what are you gearing at?
    Been there, done that.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonnay
    how's the MGM doing heatwise?
    Its running a little hot.....

Motor and batteries were warm to the touch when this happened. I had been running it for about 5 minutes. I was not even abusing it. I am waiting to hear back from MGM on getting it replaced. Luckily my batteries and Motor seem to be fine. It was an impressive show for sure. None of the wires shorted so it was something in the ESC. I ran my ESC settings by the place I got it and they were set fine.

I am bummed but I am sure MGM will come through. I will be without my Revo for a couple weeks though.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    "running a little hot"

Sorry, but I couldnt stop laughing after seeing that. Thats a nasty mess, but MGM do usually come through, just takes little while since they are in europe, czech rep. to be precise. You can find those plugs I mentioned here REDFLAG-RC. I used those ones, and they are perfectly fine, cheap too.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Qualifier
    Ouch Sorry man... that looks painful.

I hope that was "just" a bad circuit and not some kind of habit of the MGM

RC Champion
    Ouch Sorry man... that looks painful.

I hope that was "just" a bad circuit and not some kind of habit of the MGM
    It's definitely not a habit of the MGM, usually it's just the quarks that have those issues (Sorry DickyT ). That is the first time I have seen a MGM do that......EVER!
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

RC Enthusiast
    Well, No resolution to this yet. I shipped the motor back to the place I got it and they said it runs fine. MGM wants me to ship them the burnt ESC for inspection. MGM still thinks it was the motor that caused this so I have contacted NEUMotors in hopes of shipping the motor them for factory testing. MGM says if they cant find out what the issue is they would sell me a replacement ESC for 1/2 price. I told them that is not acceptable. We'll see how it turns out.

RC Qualifier
    I too am running a MGM 16018 right now and so far it runs great... I have yet to find the right gearing since my motor runs a little hot and the set screw on the pinion loosens everytime... but oh well.

I hope they find out that the ESC just failed and replace it.

RC Enthusiast
    Neumotors took the motor apart, tested it and found no issues with it.

Still no word on if MGM will replace the ESC. For all I know they have not even gotten the burnt ESC I sent back.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    wow

really sorry for your loss man.

I thought waiting for my MMM was bad. This is way worse.

Here's hoping you get it sorted out soon.
    be nice.

RC Champion
    bummer..sorry to see that fine rig look like that
    Been there, done that.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    I thought waiting for my MMM was bad. This is way worse.

There may be one in my truck in the very near future. The next few days will tell.

RC Enthusiast
    I spoke with MGM this morning. They will either replace the controller at no cost or offer me an upgraded 280amp (new model I guess) controller and I would pay the difference between the 2 controllers.

It has been a long wait but I am glad they are coming through.

They were actually able to read the chip on the fried controller. It said the average amp draw was 160 amps and the peak draw was 376 amps. If that was the case however I would think the 30 amp max deans connector I was running would have melted.

Anyhow, hopefully my saga is close to the end.

RC Qualifier
    That's the kind of reading's I'm getting to... 175A on full throttle and 450A peak... so far everything is holding up, though the MGM is thermaling after about 10 minutes. Not much I can do about though...

Glad you got your issue sorted out with MGM. I'd go for the 280A version... sounds great! And honestly I think MGMs are very nice hardware... though a tad expensive I have to admit

RC Enthusiast
    What motor are you running and what gearing?

Are you using the PC link to get the amp readings out of the controller?

RC Enthusiast
    I am getting a replacement 16018 rather than pay an extra $120 for the bigger version they say I need. I will be selling that controller as soon as I get it and going with a different manufacturer, probably Castle.

I do appreciate MGM replacing it however it is very hard communicating with people there. They do not understand questions asked and it took way too long to get this resolved. I have to wait a day between emails because of the time difference.

After being down for over a month MGM would not even express ship the replacement controller.

I cant recommend MGM to anyone.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Makes sense. Alot of people underestimate the importance of secondary service. You can have the best product in the world, but if your customer can't get issue resolution w/o hassle, you will eventually lose them. New, HV, brushless systems like these are yet to go through their paces. The are bound to have issues for awhile. Even Castle is having issues, but the fact that they are close to me, and have great product support, makes using them a no-brainer. Hope you get your truck up and running soon.
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by koden
    What motor are you running and what gearing?

Are you using the PC link to get the amp readings out of the controller?
    I'm (yet) running a Lehner 1950/5 HiAmp and yes, those were the readings from the MGM controller software.

I just replaced it with the MMM though... let's see if she thermals too

Sorry for the bad quality.

RC Enthusiast
    So how is the MMM V2 handling it?

I have been hearing of allot of issues with the V2 still. Because of this I called MGM and told them to ship me the 280A controller in spite of the lengthy delay in getting this resolved.

RC Racer
    Ya know.. I realize the CASH outlay needed to play.. But if you are that dependent on your car, make sure you have nearly two of everything. You can't really blame the business that is overseas for slow service due to their responses taking a day(due to time zones). I agree that they owed you a replacement possibly, but if you are over using the ESC to the point it melted, was it the fault of the ESC? I am not sure.. I am not familiar with the ratings for the MGM, but with an average of 160A and a peak of well into the 300s..
    regardless... if you can't deal with failures.. get back ups..
    I know with the MMM debacle seemingly brewing.. back ups are irrelevant, but, Having 2 on hand is always a good plan for all parts that are pretty high to failures. Motors, Tires, wheels, batteries, servos, shocks, ball joints, turnbuckles, tower pins, drive shafts.. etc..

RC Qualifier
    So how is the MMM V2 handling it?

I have been hearing of allot of issues with the V2 still. Because of this I called MGM and told them to ship me the 280A controller in spite of the lengthy delay in getting this resolved.
    Well... I could quote you and say "It's running a little hot... ", unfortunately I'm lacking the picture but it looks somewhat similar. Long story short: my MMM (v2) died a fiery death.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySki
    But if you are that dependent on your car, make sure you have nearly two of everything....
    I am not that dependent on the car. If I were I would have just purchased another ESC from MGM. I believe it is a good product but I do feel it took too long to get resolved. From all who I have talked to the 16018 should have been plenty to handle this setup but the 280A controller should be added insurance.

RC Enthusiast
    Well... I could quote you and say "It's running a little hot... ", unfortunately I'm lacking the picture but it looks somewhat similar. Long story short: my MMM (v2) died a fiery death.

Dang, that's not good. I wonder if it was too much motor for the controller or if it just shorted.

RC Champion
    I noticed you are running what seems to be the standard Radio system with the brushless upgrade. Isn't that bad for your range/control? I hear that brushless and AM radio systems are not to be combined...

Can somebody break it down for me?
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Champion
    He's running a 2.4 GHz system of some kind......
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

RC Enthusiast
    Futaba 3PM

RC Racer
    From what I can see you are running your batteries in series. Seeing what happened that was not good.

Parallel Increases you capacity. Running two 4600 mAh batteries becomes like running a single 9200 mAh battery. Generally and you can look this up for clarity, you would wire both batteries into the same plug with both positive to the same terminal and both negative to the same terminal. I think some places called.

Your voltage doesn't change just your capacity.

Frying your ESC was definitely not the motors fault. Routing too much power through the ESC was.
    Dang! The tires melted again!

RC Champion
    Futaba 3PM

Cool. That whole system fits right inside the radio box of the E-Revo? Sweeet!
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Racer
    He is only running 2 @ 2s 4900mah in series, thats only 14.8 v, that shouldn't be a problem.(look at post # 4)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashmore
    From what I can see you are running your batteries in series. Seeing what happened that was not good.

Parallel Increases you capacity. Running two 4600 mAh batteries becomes like running a single 9200 mAh battery. Generally and you can look this up for clarity, you would wire both batteries into the same plug with both positive to the same terminal and both negative to the same terminal. I think some places called.

Your voltage doesn't change just your capacity.

Frying your ESC was definitely not the motors fault. Routing too much power through the ESC was.
    Incorrect. 4s is within the acceptable range of voltage here. If they were in parallel he would have double the capacity and half of the voltage. The motor will not produce enough power with only 7.4 volts to work with. The ESC fried because it was faulty.

Greg
    E-Revo - IB4200's - Single 700HO - Black Chassis

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyMods
    Incorrect. 4s is within the acceptable range of voltage here. If they were in parallel he would have double the capacity and half of the voltage. The motor will not produce enough power with only 7.4 volts to work with. The ESC fried because it was faulty.

Greg
    Maybe. I would generally go with a company with a better track record. So many new companies springing up it is rather unsettling.

I buy Novak, because I usually end up buying ESCs that are "too big" for the app. Castle seems good. But they all seem "only exactly just enough". Without ever reading the specs on the ESC, and Motor as far as Amp Draw and max voltage, without some kind of a cut-off or fuse I would never buy it and I would never buy an ESC that was spec'ed with a "narrow to zero" margin compared to the App and setup I am using.

A good reputation and better warranty also helps.

Guess I'm old school. I like my ESCs big enough to run my car and easily able to save itself from self-destructing.

RC Racer
    The MGM 16018-3 is surge rated for 200a for five seconds.

Exactly what motor are you using. A Neumotor "blank" 2D? What is in the blank?

Either way I would recommend getting a Mamba Max ESC. That is, at least, rated for E-Monster Truck and 1/8 E-Buggy use.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashmore
    The MGM 16018-3 is surge rated for 200a for five seconds.

Exactly what motor are you using. A Neumotor "blank" 2D? What is in the blank?

Either way I would recommend getting a Mamba Max ESC. That is, at least, rated for E-Monster Truck and 1/8 E-Buggy use.
    in the pics, its a 1515.

and I think you mean mamba monster. the max isnt rated for MT and 1/8 use
    be nice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast