RC Racer

Another Mamba Failure!

Let me start off by saying that I may be looking for an alternative to Castle Creations. Man, I have a link to some pics of this! My Mamba Max Monster ESC Died with no warning! This had to be a defect. I have only had it like 3 weeks! Running a 2600Kv inrunner that I got off ebay. Running the 6.5mm bullets, traxxas connector, and lipo cells. My first run was a test with a Flyermate 11.1 4500mah lipo. (Sweet pack for the money!) Gearing was 17/68 and the bottom end was great, top speed slightly faster than stock. So, I tried my 11.1v Venom lipo the next day and with 20 more amps of current it was noticeably quicker, bottom end punch crazy. During the second run, I was pretty sure, I saw a small cloud of smoke, but couldn't exactly identify where it was coming from because it was near dark. I kept checking the leads and everything was intact and nothing appeared to warm, so I kept driving. The motor limit is 18v so, I decided to cop a 5 cell 25c cont/50c max lipo pack I bought new from my LHS. Excited to see the difference in 2 more cells, I went to plug in the battery connector and noticed a small spark when I was about to push the battery leads together. I went to attach them again, and all seemed fine. I noticed that I did not hear the beeps from the ESC like normal until I powered on the transmitter. I set the truck on the ground, and gave a very slight pinch of throttle, expecting it to roll forward slowly. The front end came up, I got excited! I begin pulling the throttle trigger in easily, expecting to see this thing take of and, Edited for Language The truck didn't budge, thick white smoke begins covering the truck, completely at one point and then it turned a tint orange like, we freaked out to say the least, knowing that the lipo was attached, we all ran behind the SUV until it finished smoking out, it stunk so bad. Luckily, it only fried the ESC, I tested all the other components with a different ESC. With a 4+ week turn around, this is just unacceptable! I might sell my monster once I get it repaired and go with a different setup. For now, I am going to run a Jeti, that I got from Tower on closeout, but it only handles 3 cells max. Any suggestions on a different ESC?

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...s/P1010052.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...s/P1010053.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...s/P1010054.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...s/P1010055.jpg
    Last edited by mike505; 07-29-2008 at 10:20 PM.

RC Qualifier
    one of the unlucky few, there was a bunch that did this, they offer a free replacement since it was a component failure, I talked to a tech there at the first of the week, and he said they will start sending the first v2's out midweek this week, still would take a while but they have them fixed now and are starting to send out, and will have a big batch to follow the first of next week, they are cranking these things out right now, so if you catch it right it will be a lil shorter than 4 weeks, but you still gotta wait... as far as other systems, the novak looks like the best option if you can find one, they are backordered as well, just due to demand though, with the mamba v2 coming out there will be a system offered with a motor, its there version of the neu and i was told they test as well and some even better than the neu, they worked with neu to come up with this motor and say it will be in two speed options i believe, sounds interesting and affordable
    Platinum E-REVO
    FT T4 - Novak Havoc

RC Champion
    dude, where have you been!!!!

castle has been repairing the problem for 3 months! The replacements should be goig out very soon! The V2 MMM have already been shipped out!

CONTACT CASTLE. Dont be mad. it happens to all of us
    Mud-Maxx
    NEU 1515 1.5D MM 4s

RC Champion
    i have my battery in the same place as you do
    Been there, done that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Also worth noting that the motor you are using in those pics is not suitable.

2600kv L can sized wouldnt be on my short list, or long list either- stick to XL sized motors in the 1900-2200kv range for 4-5s lipo, or 1600-1900kv for 6s lipo. 3-5s lipo and 2600kv is a bad choice....
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    what about the Neu 1.5d? thats 2700kv and stumblin uses it with 6S.

Markell, why do you have your motor pointing backwards? just curious
    96% Warn... don't tick me off!

RC Champion
    Stumblin uses a 1y which is 2200 kv.

You also have to consider motor amps as well.
    Some things are just meant to make us wonder.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasSP
    Stumblin uses a 1y which is 2200 kv.

You also have to consider motor amps as well.
    Stumblin uses a 1.5 d
    Been there, done that.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReV:-O
    what about the Neu 1.5d? thats 2700kv and stumblin uses it with 6S.

Markell, why do you have your motor pointing backwards? just curious
    I decided to mount it so that it would get better cooling and weight distribution. Also, I doubt heat was ever an issue since the ESC fried before I ran it on 5 cells. Also, the temps were very low running on 3 cells. It does have a 5mm shaft and for what I paid, i figure if I fried the motor, it wouldn't be a big loss. it has held up well with great temps so far. Also, the 6xl is like 2770kv and runs on up to six cells. I have listed the motor specs below:

Specifications:

Size: 41 x 57mm

Shaft: 5.0

KV 2600

Weight: 268grms

Amps: 50

Volts: 10-18

Watts: 475

ESC: 60Amp
    Last edited by Markell; 07-28-2008 at 11:23 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For what you paid its fine, and the length isnt too short I guess.

Thing is, it will certainly run cool on 3s, but to push 4-5s is too much. The neus can handle that because... they are neus, top quality motors & all that. Matters not anyway- I doubt it caused the MMM to die, its just bad luck that you got one of the bad ones. Castle will come through with the new model very shortly, send your one in for replacement (see the CC website for details).
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew32
    dude, where have you been!!!!

castle has been repairing the problem for 3 months! The replacements should be goig out very soon! The V2 MMM have already been shipped out!

CONTACT CASTLE. Dont be mad. it happens to all of us
    That fact that is is happening to a vast number of the MMM esc's is more reason to be mad. Id me alot more understanding if it was just a fluke that mine broke.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Racer
    wow! do you at least have the stock stuff (EVX2 & TITANS)so you can still drive it?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by revo96
    wow! do you at least have the stock stuff (EVX2 & TITANS)so you can still drive it?
    I got a bunch of RCs so, looking for something to drive is not a biggie, I can always run my 6WD Emaxx with 970 motors! I just installed a Jeti ESC in the Revo yesterday and plan on taking it out for a run to see how it handles the motor and what the temps get up to.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by larrydino
    Stumblin uses a 1.5 d
    Then it must have changed. I wouldn't put any motor that close to its ratings even if a neu.

Keep in mind that the rpm rating is more for planes and different dynamics. Monster trucks work a motor/esc much harder than a plane or heli and you have to factor that into the mix. Running something all out like that only increases wear and decreases efficiency. Over and over most have found the neu's to be most efficient at the 35-40k rpm range.

Remember that just because you can doesn't always mean you should........
    Last edited by TexasSP; 07-28-2008 at 12:41 PM.

RC Champion
    I double checked..here is Stumblins sig

eRevo Neu 1515 1.5d MMM Maxamps 4-2s2p8k 2-3s2p8k
    Been there, done that.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Markell
    I got a bunch of RCs so, looking for something to drive is not a biggie, I can always run my 6WD Emaxx with 970 motors! I just installed a Jeti ESC in the Revo yesterday and plan on taking it out for a run to see how it handles the motor and what the temps get up to.
    woah 6wd e-maxx i gotta see this ..
    v-twinE-revo,rustlervxl,jato3.3ListGoesOnKnoSayn

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Then it must have changed. No, it didn't. I have read his postings for a long time now. He bought the 1.5d because it was the only motor they had in stock at the time. I wouldn't put any motor that close to its ratings even if a neu. Most of the time he races it on 4 cells. He uses 6 cells for playin around and high speed runs.

Keep in mind that the rpm rating is more for planes and different dynamics. Based on what?...I have always heard that rpm rating is based on quality of magnets and bearings. Monster trucks work a motor/esc much harder than a plane or heli and you have to factor that into the mix. ok. Running something all out like that only increases wear and decreases efficiency. Sometimes... Over and over most have found the neu's to be most efficient at the 35-40k rpm range. Where? I want to see links to this. I have seen otherwise...; http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...ght=neu+briang

Remember that just because you can doesn't always mean you should........

I have heard of people running fiegao's in the lower rpm's for heat issues, but Neu's like the rpms.
    be nice.

RC Champion
    Go to rc-monster and your questions can be answered.

If you can't understand how a motor wears quicker running at it's maximum specs especially constantly then I don't know what to tell you. Yes the neu's are awesome and that is why I own one. Also go check out the heli/plane forums and you will see that the air guys don't run their neu's all the way to 60k either.

You also have to factor in the huge amp draw running a high kv motor on high voltage. The amps create heat, the heat creates stress, the stress creates wear.

These are really not tough concepts to follow.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Go to rc-monster and your questions can be answered.

I have obviously been to rc-monster, seeing as I posted a thread from there that contradicts what you were saying...

If you can't understand how a motor wears quicker running at it's maximum specs especially constantly then I don't know what to tell you. When did I ever say that? Yes the neu's are awesome and that is why I own one. Are you sure they aren't awesome because you own one? Also go check out the heli/plane forums and you will see that the air guys don't run their neu's all the way to 60k either. Thats great, but the fact that someone has run one in an E-revo is a bit more relevent...
    You also have to factor in the huge amp draw running a high kv motor on high voltage. Neu runs the 1.5d on 6 cells (22.2v) and rates the motor at 120A. The amps create heat, the heat creates stress, the stress creates wear. Ask around in your rc-monster forums...higher voltage set-ups with lower kv run more efficient.

These are really not tough concepts to follow.
    nope. you wouldn't think so...
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by larrydino
    Stumblin uses a 1.5 d
    Correct! I have the 1.5d

I picked the 1.5d becuase you can run 4s at ~50mph every day (45-50 depending on tire size w/ 22/58 gearing) then for showing off drop in a 6s and push just sick speeds... I picked the 4s config because you can use the larger mAH packs for much exteneded run times, and realistically who needs more than 50mph w/o temp issues anyway? If I wanted to run 6s 4k and 5k lipo's setups I would have gone w/ the 1y. The 1y is really the best motor of the two choices to use on a 6s config. You could run 6s all day on the 1.5d with proper gearing and just set your EPA at 90% or so to keep the rpm's from pushing much past 50k though the motor is rated to handle 60k w/o issues.
    Last edited by 1fasterevo; 07-28-2008 at 10:48 PM.
    Neu 1515 2.5d & 1.5d, 2x MMM -sIck IaM

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    nope. you wouldn't think so...
    You know what I think?

HoovH just owned you....
    E-R-E-V-O : My anti-drug.

RC Qualifier
    like someone else said on the slayer forum-ruh roh
    I am Luke Skywalker.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fasterevo
    Correct! I have the 1.5d

I picked the 1.5d becuase you can run 4s at ~50mph every day (45-50 depending on tire size w/ 22/58 gearing) then for showing off drop in a 6s and push just sick speeds... I picked the 4s config because you can use the larger mAH packs for much exteneded run times, and realistically who needs more than 50mph w/o temp issues anyway? If I wanted to run 6s 4k and 5k lipo's setups I would have gone w/ the 1y. The 1y is really the best motor of the two choices to use on a 6s config. You could run 6s all day on the 1.5d with proper gearing and just set your EPA at 90% or so to keep the rpm's from pushing much past 50k though the motor is rated to handle 60k w/o issues.
    thats the same reason i bought a 1.5d
    Been there, done that.

RC Champion
    Run what you want, I don't care. Have fun thinking you owned me though.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fasterevo
    hmm this made me think. because these motors are being run in cars and not planes, it will never reach max RPM because of the weight of the car and the gearing etc. so you could be running full throttle and it could take over 30 seconds to get up to max RPM. so it could be safe continually running 6s with the 1.5d
    96% Warn... don't tick me off!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReV:-O
    hmm this made me think. because these motors are being run in cars and not planes, it will never reach max RPM because of the weight of the car and the gearing etc. so you could be running full throttle and it could take over 30 seconds to get up to max RPM. so it could be safe continually running 6s with the 1.5d
    I think it is always safe running the neu motors under 60k rpm. Just not as efficent as it could be. You should be fine running it like that all day.
    be nice.

If you have a problem with a manufacturer take it up with them. Since there is a lot of technical assistance in this thread I won't close it but if the argueing keeps up I will.

Mike
    Pain is Temporary, Pride & Achievement is Forever.

RC Qualifier
    Well the good thing is that, I paid for my MMM in full a while back;that moneys long gone to me. So when it does come, it'll be like getting it for free....
    E-R-E-V-O : My anti-drug.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mike505
    If you have a problem with a manufacturer take it up with them. Since there is a lot of technical assistance in this thread I won't close it but if the argueing keeps up I will.

Mike
    Well, I did contact Castle yesterday and the support rep told me that the first 500 that shipped had a faulty chip that was failing in them, letting out a small amount of smoke and that they have the issue resolved. When I told him mines was covered in smoke and melted the ESC housing, he said I must have a defective unit and it would be replaced right away. He also told me I could do the advance replacement with a credit card, which I opted to do. He further stated that they have gone to production on 2000 units which takes 5 days to finish and that I should expect to see my new Monster ESC Mid to late next week. We'll see how that goes. He also told me that it would be another 2-3 week wait on the sidewinder ESCs, which is puzzling to me because I sent mines back like 6 weeks ago. I guess the issues with the monster ESCs is priority.

RC Champion
    I dont know where to even use it now. The reason I bought it has long changed since 3 months ago. I wonder if he will still recognize me