Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

new drag jato project

here are some ideas for everyone to use..............let me know what u think

custom skid plate with bumper guard welded and polished

custom stinger pipe ( i make all my own parts)

t-maxx tank for better fuel economy LOL

custom paint on new jconcepts illusions body (yes, i duplicated the one on there web-site)

charger body

custom extended chasis, i cut 2 chassis and welded them together, it's about 2 " longer

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    dude! dude! its awsome... wish we had so many upgrades in SA...

RC Qualifier
    So does that t-maxx fuel tank drop right in to the whole of a stock chassis?? or just for ur modded one?
    Last edited by Maxbomb; 08-16-2008 at 05:43 AM.
    O.S.|HiTech|RPM|THS|50wt

RC Competitor
    All I used was a tape measure and my dremel. I could only cut the opening wider on the left side cause the thottle servo was in the way. The cool thing about it is, I didn't have to relocate the receiver, she is sitting sideways between the tank and the box.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How is the handling with the 1/8 scale tires and reduced width?

Does it have a tendency to rollover?

Nice work by the way
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Qualifier
    so im guessing when you crash it against a curb, the earth moves.

or the reason why we have daylight savings time is because when you run it, the car isnt moving. the car is making the earth rotate faster on it's axis, thus having to advance an hour on everyone's clock.
    #mphModel: 60NR, 62Jato, 51Revo, 36Slash, 35MiniT

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMan3
    so im guessing when you crash it against a curb, the earth moves.

or the reason why we have daylight savings time is because when you run it, the car isnt moving. the car is making the earth rotate faster on it's axis, thus having to advance an hour on everyone's clock.
    Ya that thing must be pretty heavy. It does look really good though, you did a fine job with all the custom parts and making the TMaxx tank fit on there
    2CH3NO2 + CH3OH + 3O2 → 3CO2 + 5H2O + N2 =Jato Fun

magnificent so far .
    keep contact & take advises with more experienced members : forbes

RC Champion
    It looks nice but all of that aluminum is going to slow you down.
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Competitor
    yes the car is approximately 1 lb. heavier. and no it doesn't move the earth, but thanks for the sarcasm Redman.
    even with the added weight, i'm still able to do 68 @ 330 ft. thanks to my modded O.S. 30, anodized aluminum tranny, custom stinger pipe, and 54/26 gears.
    as far as the handling, better than ever, and no it doesn't roll over

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good thx, i order a set of adaptor last week.
    I really like that body.

So the transmission is holding fine? how much runtime you have with this transmission and the OS30?
    ABmods

RC Champion
    Any proof of your speed?
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Qualifier
    guys chill out.
    it looks nice even tho its not my style or for that fact any of yours....
    he apparently does nice work and if hes been 68 in >330< ft hes doin pretty good. yea its a big mill, but when u have a mill like that u can afford to have a truck like that....
    My 0-60 mph is faster then your Bugatti Veyron.

RC Competitor
    that build looks like its for hardcore bashing and not a drag project..... #1 it's heavy heavy heavy oh wait did i say it's really heavy?!?!?! #2 the os .30 has more torque than hp, its made for monster trucks and truggies not 40,000 rpm racing like the .21's #3 the gearing with those tires are off, those are the ofna 1/8 scale buggy on road tires and they DO NOT baloon like the anaconda's or other tires alike which means when a tire baloons it changes the gearing dramatically, some tires baloon twice their normal size under top speed runs so that would be equal to the same cb & sg you got but w/ tires twice the height....... and 330ft is more than a football field..... it looks like by your theory why dont we all go get a .32 and put a custom machined 30 tooth cb with a 40 sg since you are going for torque and low rpms, well why dont we just do top speed runs with a truggie since thats basically what you built.... dont get me wrong its sweet and im sure you spent many many hours working on it but for top speed you need really high rpm's and light weight...... i mean you could put a really good .12 in a stock jato and out run a .30 jato simply cuz of the weight and rpm difference, that being said most of us are trying top speed runs w/ the 3.3 anyways so i would throw yours in a class with a truggy or something

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by deepsouth
    guys chill out.
    it looks nice even tho its not my style or for that fact any of yours....
    he apparently does nice work and if hes been 68 in >330< ft hes doin pretty good. yea its a big mill, but when u have a mill like that u can afford to have a truck like that....
    He SAYS he's gone 68 in 330ft. Any proof of it?
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Champion
    nice job .....you do nice work man......any videos id love to see that baby run !!!!
    drive it like you stole it !!!!!

RC Qualifier
    i would put soem zip ties on that head, im scared for it.

RC Qualifier
    you custom made the pipe? how did you tune it for that mill? do you get good tourqe or top end? nice polish job on that .

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie21mma
    that build looks like its for hardcore bashing and not a drag project..... #1 it's heavy heavy heavy oh wait did i say it's really heavy?!?!?! #2 the os .30 has more torque than hp, its made for monster trucks and truggies not 40,000 rpm racing like the .21's #3 the gearing with those tires are off, those are the ofna 1/8 scale buggy on road tires and they DO NOT baloon like the anaconda's or other tires alike which means when a tire baloons it changes the gearing dramatically, some tires baloon twice their normal size under top speed runs so that would be equal to the same cb & sg you got but w/ tires twice the height....... and 330ft is more than a football field..... it looks like by your theory why dont we all go get a .32 and put a custom machined 30 tooth cb with a 40 sg since you are going for torque and low rpms, well why dont we just do top speed runs with a truggie since thats basically what you built.... dont get me wrong its sweet and im sure you spent many many hours working on it but for top speed you need really high rpm's and light weight...... i mean you could put a really good .12 in a stock jato and out run a .30 jato simply cuz of the weight and rpm difference, that being said most of us are trying top speed runs w/ the 3.3 anyways so i would throw yours in a class with a truggy or something

dude thats ridiculous.
    its his truck, his money, his choice.
    i completely understand what your sayijng and it has SOME sense to it.
    but theres no reason he shouldnt do that, he has a heavy truck, so he a needs a biger mill.

and its really a good idea in my thought because with all that aluminum distributed throughout the truck hes keping (hopefully) all four tires planted then the rest of our "chopped up" jato guys, who tend to have problems with wheelies. not the experienced guys like forbes and over and such, but i think u get the point.

RC Qualifier
    lol dude, sarcasm is kindof an indirect compliment from me. it's very awesome. definitely one-of-a-kind so you should be proud. the pipe is something i admire the most though, not to many people can do what you did. really reminds me of the old 360 stinger pipes that use to be for Nitro Rustlers, Stampedes, and sports a long time ago. I had one, and it was LOUD. but the one bad thing about it, that you most likely will run into, is when you pop a wheelie off road, you could have a chunk of dirt shoved into the stinger, stalling the engine.

cant wait to see the extended chassis on there. you might have to make a top plate to complement the chassis though. 2 inches is a lot of extra space.

the tmaxx tank is creative, my 18tm DRINKS fuel. it's surprising, just because my 3.3 has way better fuel consumption, even when it's rich.

A+ dawg

I bet it does move the earth though...

RC Champion
    hats off to u brother... good lookin start.... can't w8 to see u in the 70 mph club.....
    been there bought that

RC Competitor
    dude thats ridiculous.
    its his truck, his money, his choice.
    i completely understand what your sayijng and it has SOME sense to it.
    but theres no reason he shouldnt do that, he has a heavy truck, so he a needs a biger mill.

and its really a good idea in my thought because with all that aluminum distributed throughout the truck hes keping (hopefully) all four tires planted then the rest of our "chopped up" jato guys, who tend to have problems with wheelies. not the experienced guys like forbes and over and such, but i think u get the point.
    what you are saying cancels itself out, with a light truck you need a small motor, with a heavy truck you need a big motor to go the same speed? thats what you are saying right??? well if you leave it alone it would be the same, it would cancel itself out, and yes lighter trucks wheelie but thats where gearing comes into factor, when you put a big cb and small sg and tall rear tires, the front end is lower w/ taller rear tires so that helps w/ wheelies and the motor is working hard to pull that gearing which helps w/ wheelies as well,.... that way you can wot and it wont wheelie near as bad if any, also suspension stuff will help, "stiffer springs in rear" there's a ton of things you can do to make a light truck not wheelie as bad............ i was mainly pointing out that he labled his truck a "top speed" truck when you can easily tell its made for bashing,..... and a .30 is slower than a .21, yeah the .30 may have more torque but "top speed" comes from 40,000 rpm not 32,000rpm,..... big blocks like that lose alot of power at high rpm and .21's make peak power at 40,000 rpm so im just saying its more of a truggy and not a light fast truck anymore...... heck i bet you can take a stock jato 3.3 and be as fast as his w/ all of his mods and if you just change the sg on a stock jato 3.3 im sure it will beat his "top speed truggy" .... and i would love to see a radar vid of his 68mph run i mean i hope he went 68mph with all that he invested and going 330' thats longer than a football field i hope he went 68mph in his "top speed truggy"

RC Champion
    What I think is NICE!!! Jato.

o0 could cause some cases of aluminum envy 0o
    (Got Fuel?) REVO 3.3, Jato 3.3, Rustys Daddy!

RC Racer
    WOW. That thing looks crazy! Nice work I like your craftsmanship, can't wait to see a vid of that thing zoomin' down the street!
    Slash Spec Class Racer
    Hot Bodies D8

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMan3

cant wait to see the extended chassis on there. you might have to make a top plate to complement the chassis though. 2 inches is a lot of extra space.
    yes my thoughts to. a top plate would be sweet!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie21mma
    what you are saying cancels itself out, with a light truck you need a small motor, with a heavy truck you need a big motor to go the same speed? thats what you are saying right??? well if you leave it alone it would be the same, it would cancel itself out, and yes lighter trucks wheelie but thats where gearing comes into factor, when you put a big cb and small sg and tall rear tires, the front end is lower w/ taller rear tires so that helps w/ wheelies and the motor is working hard to pull that gearing which helps w/ wheelies as well,.... that way you can wot and it wont wheelie near as bad if any, also suspension stuff will help, "stiffer springs in rear" there's a ton of things you can do to make a light truck not wheelie as bad............ i was mainly pointing out that he labled his truck a "top speed" truck when you can easily tell its made for bashing,..... and a .30 is slower than a .21, yeah the .30 may have more torque but "top speed" comes from 40,000 rpm not 32,000rpm,..... big blocks like that lose alot of power at high rpm and .21's make peak power at 40,000 rpm so im just saying its more of a truggy and not a light fast truck anymore...... heck i bet you can take a stock jato 3.3 and be as fast as his w/ all of his mods and if you just change the sg on a stock jato 3.3 im sure it will beat his "top speed truggy" .... and i would love to see a radar vid of his 68mph run i mean i hope he went 68mph with all that he invested and going 330' thats longer than a football field i hope he went 68mph in his "top speed truggy"
    thats exactly what i was talking about but my point is that if he wants his truck to be like that, let it be.......... and yea i know there are a million things you can do to not make a truck wheelie, i was just saying at that speed....

and on a second thought id call you crazy if you really think the same truck would run just as fast with a 3.3....but i think i just read it wrong.
    but honestly i do see what your saying its just that i wouldnt have gone there...
    Last edited by deepsouth; 08-16-2008 at 04:13 PM.

RC Competitor
    thats exactly what i was talking about but my point is that if he wants his truck to be like that, let it be.......... and yea i know there are a million things you can do to not make a truck wheelie, i was just saying at that speed....

and on a second thought id call you crazy if you really think the same truck would run just as fast with a 3.3....but i think i just read it wrong.
    but honestly i do see what your saying its just that i wouldnt have gone there...
    i was talking about a stock jato or a jato with a smaller spur gear w/ the 3.3 would be as fast if not faster,..... not a 3.3 on a all aluminum truck that weighs and extra million lbs...... i was talking about a stock weight jato w/ a 3.3 vs his heavy truck w/ a .30 truggy engine

RC Qualifier
    ok yea thats what i was thinkin....

RC Qualifier
    dont flame robbie. it almost seems like you're hating on the guy. he does what he wants. it's whatever makes him happy.

it's a great truck, gotta see it run. the one thing i have questions about is the exhaust.

the 360 stinger for the rustlers were designed for horsepower/torque, not top end. and that .30 definitely has enough bottom end.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Its still a short pipe versus 1/8 scale ones. It will give "decent" top end.
    The car is very light for a .30VG , making it rev happy.

I have one suggestion, get a stage 2 from ABmods and you will see that mill can have top end!

I modified a .30VG for a friend with similar spec to the ABmods's Stage 2. The rpm gains were impressive.
    ABmods

better to point the air filter to the front end.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sweet Jato I have one word video!
    ⓘ ⓐⓝⓣ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓚ ⓞⓕ ⓐⓝⓨ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓖ ⓖⓞⓞⓓ ⓣⓞ ⓦⓡⓘⓖⓗⓣ ⓗⓔⓡⓔ

RC Competitor
    ok guys i appreciate the feedback, positive and negative. let me just clarify a few things. i built this jato cause i love it. i do it for my own satisfaction. you have to admit, it is one of a kind. i dont really care about the speed, or the weight, i just wanted to build the baddest jato anyone has ever seen.
    now , when i did 68 @ 330' i had gladiator tires on the rear cause they expand like a (u know what!)(if i say it,cooleocool will have my head) i also had on a very expensive novarossi pipe, its in one of my earlier pics i believe. anyway, for all who are interested here is the finished super extended chasis with a homemade support cage hot off the presses. i will be running the car for the first time tomorrow, i will do my best to capture some video. peace! i meant the first time with this set up.

oh and someone mentioned something about a top plate. im already planning to make my own, i have a few good ideas about servo supports and relocating the tank, which may become bigger, ( matter of fact i'm waiting on my new aluminum t-maxx tank from billetdesigns) and a battery cover. if anyone has any suggestions please feel free.
    P.S. if anyone needs something made or has an idea for me to make i would love to help.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-17-2008 at 05:55 AM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice job on the extended Chassis.
    "let me just clarify a few things. i built this jato cause i love it. i do it for my own satisfaction." I totally agree with the statement its your Jato and like you said you do it because you love it and thats the best way to do it.

RC Qualifier
    Dude, you should call it the Jatmo... That thing is seriously like a limo. 2 whole inches... WOW what a difference. I like what you did with the top support brace. You took that route rather than making a new top plat to add additional support for the increased chassis flex.

i coulda had my hands on a .30vg for $150 bucks but i just didnt want to take that route with the jato. and i havent had the urge to rebuild my revo.

So which parts exactly are ones you made, you should put out a list. I just saw some integy parts and i got confused when you said you make all your parts.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How hard was it to mount that 30vg?

RC Competitor
    well not all, im not that good i made the chasis from 2 others i had lying around, cut them carefully, welded them together sanded and polished. can u find the weld? (lol) i also made the front skid plate from 1/8 " aluminum which is welded to the bumper, sp its all one unit now. i made the aluminum top plate on the wheelie bar, so i can easily bend it to suit. and of course the chasis support in my most recent pics.

with a .21 conversion which came w/ the motor mount, it was simple

and lets not forget my stinger pipe i made that from a savage pipe, and a 3/8 hollow tube of aluminum
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-17-2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It looks very professional I cant see any weld marks.

RC Qualifier
    very creative, i thought you made the stuff by scratch though. very impressie ingenuity bud.

RC Competitor
    the only thing i made from scratch was the front skid plate i wish i had a CNC machine, skies the limit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast