Thread: BUKU question

RC Champion

BUKU question

alright... after thinkin about and readin all these gr8 things about the B UKU... i got some ?'s
    now scince i dont have one.... i aint knockin it.... but something dont make scense...
    the stinger is about 1/4 apiece right.... the header diameter is 1/2 inch....
    so when both stingers are open.... where is ur back pressure? it seems as tho this would be a straight pipe.....
    even if the stingers equal a lil less.... it seems as tho u could never be able to tune it because of the harmonics.... the cone inside would just jiggle at WOT becvause the stingers equal the header....

just a thought............
    been there bought that

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by forbes
    alright... after thinkin about and readin all these gr8 things about the B UKU... i got some ?'s
    now scince i dont have one.... i aint knockin it.... but something dont make scense...
    the stinger is about 1/4 apiece right.... the header diameter is 1/2 inch....
    so when both stingers are open.... where is ur back pressure? it seems as tho this would be a straight pipe.....
    even if the stingers equal a lil less.... it seems as tho u could never be able to tune it because of the harmonics.... the cone inside would just jiggle at WOT becvause the stingers equal the header....

just a thought............
    Yes, and no. The header diameter will vary based on the one you use. the pipe doesn's come with one. My experience is, you get out more exhaust with the larger header diameter, than the RS4 size header.

Both stingers are open all the time after the initial setup. You have no back pressure issue, beacuse you are missing the part about the variable spring inside. The spring pushes against the cone and actually expands and contracts as you increase and decrease rpm to prevent back pressure issues no matter where you are in the power band.

Also, that can all be adjusted based on engine size. It comes with 3 springs and two different cones to cover engines from .12 to .20.

They call it tuned, but I just think of it as many adjustments. It's not like an engine that you would tune based on outside temps, performance, etc. Once you set up the pipe for your engine. Just forget it. It won't change. Any tunning after that is on the engine, not the pipe.

There is also no exta cleaning and oiling, that somone else mentioned in another thread or any extra maintenance due to the moving interior parts from what I have found. So virtually maintenance free.

I woke up the .21TM some in the low/mid but I never saw any top end improvement, but I never made final high speed adjustments. I was satisfied with the performance.

With the JLR.12, no visible improvements at all. But i did consider I have the matching Picco pipe forthe JLR, and anytime you get a matching combo that's dyno proven. It will be tough for any pipe to beat.

Long, but hope it helps bro.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by revonitro
    Yes, and no. The header diameter will vary based on the one you use. the pipe doesn's come with one. My experience is, you get out more exhaust with the larger header diameter
    good write up!! the angle of the header can predict some power as well
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Champion
    right.... but as u stated... u say no top end performance.... would this be due to the fact that both stingers are open at this time? just like i learned with the vantage pipe.... not enuff back pressure...
    if that is so..... why not just run a regular pipe?
    and i do agree, there is nothing like a dyno matched pipe by anymeans....
    i was just thinkin about it and thought id ask
    been there bought that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm no expert, but I think the backpressure comes from the convergent cone inside the pipe. The exhaust doesn't flow through freely which is why it adjusts itself the way it does.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the angle of the header does help w/different applications.
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Qualifier
    He never saw top speed cause after you pull the plug (that when bottom end starts) you have to tune for top speed. You tighten up the spring inside of there and that when the top speed is gainned. I don't think revo did that.
    Jato O.S. 21tm. w/ buku pipe

RC Competitor
    you only need back pressure for accelerating, but at high rpm's the less back pressure you have the faster it will be on top end cuz at max rpm its not restricted at all but when there is no restriction while the engine is building up rpm's "accelerating" it will be slacking performance but at high rpm's the faster you get that exhaust out of there so it can have continuous flow the more rpm's you will dish out and have a better topend thats why the buku pipe is the best cuz it adjust its backpressure while accelerating, at low rpm's it has alot of back pressure but as you accelerate the spring adjust the cone from the force of the exhaust back pressure and once the engine has built up plenty of rpms it will be wide open and free flowing so thats why this pipe is one of a kind cuz it will give you low-mid-and high instead of one or the other,..... in short, at high rpm's the faster you can get the exhaust to flow the faster you will go on topend high rpm's

http://bukupower.com/videoPop.html
    and that is a 3.3 they are using in the video
    Last edited by robbie21mma; 08-19-2008 at 04:39 PM.

RC Champion
    as i stated... i am not knocking the pipe.... just thinkin of ways to make it perform better.... like maybe a smaller stinger.....
    i know from my testing.... the vantage pipe which has a huge stinger did not perform as well as stock pipe in top end.....
    i am only askin ?'s for my own research.....
    ... i guess what i am askin is..... at wot... are both stingers open?
    been there bought that

RC Racer
    I noticed that the website says that the pipe will dramatically improve low-end torque and mid-range power...it doesn't really claim to dramatically improve the high end speed. (It may, but the website doesn't claim that.) I'm not saying it doesn't improve high-end cause I don't have one...just pointing out facts.

If you watch the video the pipe only adjusts when the rpms move from idle to about 30 somethin thousand...then it returns to the normal length. I guess my observation is after looking at all this is: at WOT it seems to act like a fixed pipe...
    Slash Spec Class Racer
    Hot Bodies D8

depending on those used it, it's a great pricey product
    bukupower should place a clear dyno diagram though

RC Qualifier
    there is already an XRC article about he buku with the x dyno at work. http://rc411.com/pages/scopes.php?scope=47&page=2

personally forbes, i love the buku. great product. revonitro just stated that there was no improvement over a dyno tuned pipe for that specific picco. but thats the point. the buku is dynamic so that you can make it into a dyno pipe for a range of engines. that article proves that it works, but again the writer did not tune for top end.

I will be tuning the top end, but with a radar so i know i am getting improvements. so far though, great low-to-mid range and the high end has been getting better and better.

my setup:
    - 30% byron's nitro fuel w/ 9% lubricants
    - hpi R5 cold plug
    - inline manifold
    - buku pipe
    - 36:20 gearing

Can't wait to gun it down.
    #mphModel: 60NR, 62Jato, 51Revo, 36Slash, 35MiniT

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds good redman
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

Thanks Redman for showing this article Lots of info there.
    i wonder why bukupower didn’t place put such testimony in their favor unless it’s not encouraging .
    or maybe because of this part of the article :

“ …..It's interesting to note that the stock pipe had slightly better performance at the end of the rev. This shows that the BUKU pipe wasn't tuned correctly…”

although it followed by this:

“…Overall, the BUKU system gave a 12% increase in horsepower, and a 9% increase in torque. That's pretty good for just a pipe swap.”
    Imo, buku worth paying $ 100+ for a 12% more hp & 9% extra torque as stated in th article,
    but it would be enough for non-racers or competitors to pay of the price for another brand gives something around this extra power ?

wish all the best.

RC Qualifier
    The main benefit of the buku is that it can adapt to any engine (within its designate size range). And with whatever engine its mated to, it will increase the power. The dyno in that article compares it to traxxas' dyno-tuned resonator, which is basically the Dual Chamber resonator.

I will be posting pics in my Buku thread in the next 20 minutes, with the inline header. it looks a lot better and provides more consistent results (no slop in the flow of the exhaust as compared to the tradition silicon coupler).
    #mphModel: 60NR, 62Jato, 51Revo, 36Slash, 35MiniT

RC Racer
    i love my buku and im the sol reason most of these guys get them for there jatos, and all of them have been happy with theres. you will see lots of low and mid range right off bat once tuned wit hthe plug, when you take out the plug you have to tune for the topend. some ppl dont cause there happy with what they say once the tunning plug is out. and for get about the topend tuning part.

Forbes at wot both stingers are open, but in the pipe there is a cone with holes drilled in it witch crates backpressure. and the cone moves with back presusre. when you nail the gas from a stop the cone moves foawerd to creat a longer pipe witch gives low end, and the as the back pressure lowers the spring in side moves the cone back to make it work like a short pipe with rasises rpm and uselly more topend speed. sometimes the spring wont push the cone all the way back to get all out topend it can give. so you adjust the tension on the spring from the out side to get more topend.

as far as the dyno goes from buku. i dont blam him not posting. as jsut like in the real car world there are diffrent makes of dynos and they all read diffrent.
    a dyno is only a tuning/improvment tool. it will show yo ua number before you do something, and if you do work on it motor it will show you a incresse or decress. thats main thing a dyno is for. Dave from buku does have a dyno, and he was tuned and desined his pipe with his dyno so he knows what works and dont, and built the pipe with what works. its not a x-mod dyno like alot of ppl go buy in the rc biz, so the numbers whould be diffrent when compared to each other.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by forbes
    as i stated... i am not knocking the pipe.... just thinkin of ways to make it perform better.... like maybe a smaller stinger.....
    i know from my testing.... the vantage pipe which has a huge stinger did not perform as well as stock pipe in top end.....
    i am only askin ?'s for my own research.....
    ... i guess what i am askin is..... at wot... are both stingers open?
    Both stingers are open all the time after the initial setup. You have no back pressure issue, beacuse you are missing the part about the variable spring inside. The spring pushes against the cone and actually expands and contracts as you increase and decrease rpm to prevent back pressure issues no matter where you are in the power band.
    I woke up the .21TM some in the low/mid but I never saw any top end improvement, but I never made final high speed adjustments. I was satisfied with the performance.
    You could run it with one stinger clogged like during setup, but it would defeat the purpose of the pipe. I believe if I were running any other pipe with the JLR, like the Skyline or THS, the BUKU would have shown some improvement all around.

What I found when I ran it with my .21TM was it did increase low to mid power. Like I said..never tuned for top end. But the increase in low to mid power allowed me to pull even taller gearing without bodding the engine during initial acceleration. I couldn't do that with the stock pipe. That in itself in theory should improve top end and also get you to top end faster than you could with the stock pipe.

If you have a long enough run, 600-800ft. All of the above may not matter, as eventually the taller gearing should kick in, if you have the tork to pull it.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    thanks guyz... appreciate all the info.... think i may try something with one...
    been there bought that

RC Competitor
    hey forbes, would you like a BUKU pipe? I have one I ain't using, it's only missing one extesion pipe , it fell off while bashing my revo, I'm sure a creative and innovative guy like yourself can overcome that minor detail. If u want it , it's yours, I'll even pay to ship it, if u want a pic, just say the word.
    MY JATO IS NICER THAN YOUR JATO

RC Champion
    sure.... makes feel even better u done lost a stinger... cause thats what i intend on modifying.....
    thast way cool of ya brother... pm me if u need some parts.... i am sure i can hook u up with something.....
    been there bought that