Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    RC Racer

My E-Revo Built My Way!

Hey everybody, I'm new here so take it easy on me..Love the Traxxas community, lots of great threads & people, just wanna join the family if it's ok..
    Well I'm usually a nitro guy, but this new E-Revo is just too sexy too pass up. like most of you guys I already owned a nitro revo & a G3R Revo, so I went on Ebay and spent about $100 of parted E-Revo parts to build my ultimate E-Revo.
    I don't know about you guys but I am real an*l when it comes to detail & a clean setup, so this project will take me about 1-2 weeks to build & document for you guys to view & judge, please feel free to comment & let me know if there's something that I can improve on. Ok let's get on with the build..

Let's start with the drive shafts..I replaced all the yokes, & yoke pins with these Blue titanium sets. Super strong & light, about 1/4 the stock weight.

If you guys are using 17mm hex adapters from Traxxas,Ofna, or the ST-Racing which is what I have, make sure to shim it properly so there will be no play, I use 6x8x.03 Kyosho shims #KYO96046 comes with 3 thickness for a proper shim. I've read some where on this thread that someone used teflon shims, I suggest you don't it will definitely either wear off or melt..make sure you put shims on the axle before inserting into the hub, if placed on outside 17mm hub will wear out your outer bearing. I only needed 2 .03 thick shims for a noplay setup, yours could be different..

I will try to shed as much fat off this E-Revo as possible..so the traxxas aluminum pillow balls will replace the stockers.. Make sure to put a good greas on the pillows, I use Tamiya anti-wear grease, why beacause I said so.

OK, I will wait for my RPM rear track to arrive before I finish up the axle writeup.. I don't know about you but the gray plastic chassis makes me hurl..so I will Rit dye it along with the rockers, oh make sure you strip off all the foam & wash all parts with soap before dyeing, for those of you that don't know, adding a cup of distilled vinegar to the pot of dye will help open the pores of any plastic so the dye will penetrate deeper..this will be it for tonight. I will continue tomorrow. Well like I said earlier any advice will be greatly appreciated! Good night folks..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Don't use wet-type grease on the pillow balls. The grease when dirt get into it will turn it into a sandpaper and will wear out the surface it rubs against. Instead, use dry type lubricants like Pedro extra dry, finish line etc. You can buy them from your local bicycle shop.

Good start on your build.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Racer
    Hey George, the Tamiya AW grease is a dry grease, it's very similar to bicycle grease actually..

RC Champion
    I'm going to follow this thread with attention

I bought the optional Traxxas Pivot Balls Anodized Aluminum T-Maxx for my old 3906 E-maxx and it was a bad idea... Sure they are lighter, but they are above all less solid ! I broke the 8 pivot ball after 2 bash sessions
    I advise you to keep the stock pivot balls or find another options except if you are not a basher

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by longbill76
    Hey George, the Tamiya AW grease is a dry grease, it's very similar to bicycle grease actually..

Hmmm. I didn't realize that and I still have a tube left . Thanks.

You can use titanium pillow balls too.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Champion
    This looks like it will be an awesome build! I too will follow this very closely.
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

RC Qualifier
    Yeah if you want lighter balls go with titanium. After allot of broken alluminum ones I went titanuim and have no more issues. The TI Is still allot lighter then stock
    Brushless makes everything taste better

RC Racer
    Heys guys, thanks for all your advise..funny thing is I already have a set of Titanium Pillows on my Revo G3R..I just figured I'll give the alum ones a shot. I'll mostly be racing this beast, but occasionally would like to do some retarded front/back flips..more pics to come tonight..

RC Racer
    It is 9pm my time went outside for a walk, came back & saw all this in the front of my door

Let's open the heaviest box, & see what's inside..

Must put it aside for now, can't get too excited..must finish the build first..will post more pics later..Did anyone else received their MMM today?

RC Racer
    Holy crap.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave56bug
    Holy crap.
    A truly reasonable response to such a picture.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Champion
    3 MMM's and only two neu's. That leaves one MMM neu-less. You were planning to send the other one to me, no? Bye the way, I'm jealous.
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

RC Racer
    Sure I will Silver, just give me your address, & I'll send you a picture of it
    I already have Neu a that is on my 8ight-T, like everyone esle I've been waiting for the arrival of MMM. One set for E-Revo, the extra set will be for next project, maybe Tekno RC8.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i love getting shipments...

...thats awesome.
    be nice.

RC Racer
    Ok time to dye, for small parts like the rockers, get some yarn, or thin fishing line and loop it through all the small parts, that way you do not have to search for your parts later on..

would not be a proper dye without some BAMM!, Kick it up a notch!

RC Racer
    Fell asleep for a few hours, parts should be pretty black by now..Take parts out of pot, rinse thoroughly with cold water, pat dry with towels, and presto you now have black parts! For a proper dye use 2 packs of RIT or 1 bottle of concentrated liquid RIT and add 1/2-1 cup of distilled vinegar..turn fire on low/simmer and leave parts in there for 2-3 hours for a deep penetrating bath!

OK guys, sorry but I must finish my 8ight-T since my MMM arrived today..will continue on the E-Revo build in a day or 2..Good Night!

RC Competitor
    Sorry to 'back up' a bit, but where'd you get the yokes/pins?

RC Racer
    If I'm not wrong I believe it's Hot-Racing, bought those 2-3 years ago..I know integy makes ti yokes but I can't vouch for the quality...

RC Qualifier
    This thread quickly threw up a "WATCH ME" sign as I started reading it and viewing the pictures. Good stuff so far man.
    Traxxas: Stampede, E Maxx
    Losi: Muggy

RC Racer
    Thanks Savagepede..will continue my build either today or tomorrow..don't you hate it when there is one or 2 parts missing that stops you in a middle of a build ..more parts are coming tomorrow & Tuesday..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    'BlackoutRevo' comes to mind- he'll be jealous when he sees this thread...

Nice work so far dude.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Qualifier
    A dual Neu/MMM Revo it will be!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ERevoaddict
    A dual Neu/MMM Revo it will be!
    thats too much power
    your goin to destroy the earth with that setup
    need a couple hundred gigawatts last time i checked
    E-REVO (my dream)
    ~neu 1515/1Y/S
    ~MMM

RC Qualifier
    Looking good so far. The dye job looks great. Keep us posted.
    END_OF_LINE

RC Enthusiast
    sigh i am haveing a hard time finding these titanium yokes and pins

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you mean these?
    (link)

I feel dumb, I'm not sure what you mean by yolk and pin.
    be nice.

RC Racer
    Being a noob to brushless and all. I was think about the new orion brushless system that came out. But what on earth are neu motors. Were can i get one and some info on them? sorry to hijack this thread.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    you mean these?
    (link)

I feel dumb, I'm not sure what you mean by yolk and pin.
    yup those are the ones lol I was just searching for the wrong name on the things lol

thanks!

RC Racer
    For the Win- check out ImpaktRC

Longbill- Lookin' good so far. I might have to bust out the dye! Can't wait to see the rest of the project. I love my E-revo, but a brushless 8ight T would distract me too
    ERBE, Pede VXL, Rusty VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by For_The_Win
    Being a noob to brushless and all. I was think about the new orion brushless system that came out. But what on earth are neu motors. Were can i get one and some info on them? sorry to hijack this thread.
    hello, and welcome!
    check out the e-revo faq's that are sticky'd to the top of the forum. Theres alot to read there, but it will answer most questions you have. Also, links to neu motors are in there. AFter that, ask away!

again welcome and good reading!
    be nice.

RC Racer
    Thanks you all!

RC Racer
    Hey all, thanks for all the compliments, to answer some of your curiosity, I am only running a single neu, do I look insane to you the other neu is for my next brushless project.
    Neu motors are american made, hand wound, with neo magnets, oh yeah carbon wrapped rotor..known to be the best next to pletty(plettenberg) motors.
    Hey Hoov who is blackoutrevo?
    The Ti yokes are made by Hot Racing, bought them years ago so not sure if they're available, but I know Integy makes them but I can't vouch for the quality. Ok, just installed the battery cover, vents & my Alum shock mounts. I will be using a single high torque servo, most likely Ace 1015. I'm using the proline aluminum single servo arm part#6037-00, and the traxxas hing tension servo saver spring TRA5344X.

Ok, blast from my past, here is my G3R that I've been taking parts from to build my ultimate E-Revo..

Do you guys notice something different?
    http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ill76/g3r2.jpg
    This was one of my cleanest work, pretty much all wires are hidden, very short wiring for super low resistance..
    Here is a pic of my other project alongside my E-Revo. For those that do not know it is a Losi 8ight-T with a Tekno RC brushless conversion kit.
    More pics to come later...time for dinner, porkchops
    http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...l76/8ightt.jpg

RC Racer
    Hey all, thanks for all the compliments, to answer some of your curiosity, I am only running a single neu, do I look insane to you the other neu is for my next brushless project.
    Neu motors are american made, hand wound, with neo magnets, oh yeah carbon wrapped rotor..known to be the best next to pletty(plettenberg) motors.
    The Ti yokes are made by Hot Racing, bought them years ago so not sure if they're available, but I know Integy makes them but I can't vouch for the quality. Ok, just installed the battery cover, vents & my Alum shock mounts. I will be using a single high torque servo, most likely Ace 1015. I'm using the proline aluminum single servo arm part#6037-00, and the traxxas hing tension servo saver spring TRA5344X.

Ok, blast from my past, here is my G3R that I've been taking parts from to build my ultimate E-Revo..

Do you guys notice something different?

This was one of my cleanest work, pretty much all wires are hidden, very short wiring for super low resistance..
    Here is a pic of my other project alongside my E-Revo. For those that do not know it is a Losi 8ight-T with a Tekno RC brushless conversion kit.
    More pics to come later...time for dinner, porkchops

RC Racer
    Wow.........great projects longbill. That G3R is awfully nice to take apart though I had a chance to drive an 8IGHT T about two weeks ago with the Tekno conversion and a HV 6.5. That thing was loads of fun
    ERBE, Pede VXL, Rusty VXL

RC Qualifier
    First things first: You posted three of those pics twice man.

Yes, I do hate when I have a part or two that's keeping me from having fun with my truck(s). In fact, I've got that right now. One of my battery packs is a dud, and the other has a different connector than the ESC (I don't have a soldering iron.......yet).

Have you thought about getting some RPM True Tracks? They shave 32 grams, eliminate the rear toe rods (making for a more sturdy set up) and give you a permanent -1.5 degrees of toe in. Pretty much a set it and forget it mod. The bearing/axle carriers that come with the kit have larger bearings which translates to better durability.

Very sweet race roller 8ight T. 8ight T's are sweet rigs. Are those Kyosho Inferno ST wheels?
    Traxxas: Stampede, E Maxx
    Losi: Muggy

RC Competitor

RC Competitor
    And here are pork chops...

RC Racer
    Hey guys, thanks again for looking at my thread..Savage I already have the RPM true tracks, it will be covered on my build later on..the wheels are Jconcepts Rulux halfups 1/2 offset..I will be using the same wheels for the E-Revo but dyed in black. If you're looking for a iron spend a little more & get something decent, it will make your jobs quicker & cleaner. I have a Hako 936, they go for like $75-$99 but worth every penny...

RC Racer
    Thanks for link mmazurek, and thanks for the porkchops, they look better than the ones my wife made, oh crap she's behind me, bye!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by longbill76
    I think he's refering to a kid who wanted to buy everything in black. I can't find the thread now. He was excited.
    be nice.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast