Thread: Golf

RC Racer

Golf

Hey Everyone,

I have a couple questions for you. I am interested in starting to play golf. I am going Friday with a friend, and I will just use his clubs. However he is a real golfer and isn't excited about this as I have never golfed before. He said its cool for the first time but I want to play more I need to by my own set. So that's where the questions come in. What should I get for a complete set? I don't want to spend a huge amount of money as I am not sure how often I will play. I would love to stay in the 200-300 dollar range but I do realize that is a long shot. So with that thought in mind, is it worth buying used for a beginner? I have been told no but also yes because that way I can choose to upgrade later. If so where do I go about buying used clubs in a way to make sure I don't get ripped off? I would really like to buy a full set so I have everything, as I have no knowledge as to what I actually need in the bag. I would love links to this stuff if possible.

So any help would be awesome.
    pcb
    2.5 TMaxx
    Losi Mini Baja

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Many courses will not let you "borrow" clubs from someone. Each golfer must have a set of clubs. Most courses offer clubs for rental. I bought my clubs off of craigslist there are a lot of people that spend big and realize golf is not for them. When I started I had a limited selection of used clubs form used sporting equipment stores. I had a 3 and 5 wood, and a 4, 6, 8 and 9 irons and a putter. A driver/1 wood is not a good investment for a beginner golfer. A 3 wood is significantly more controllable and will produce better results as you work you your form.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda_tmaxx
    Many courses will not let you "borrow" clubs from someone. Each golfer must have a set of clubs. Most courses offer clubs for rental. I bought my clubs off of craigslist there are a lot of people that spend big and realize golf is not for them. When I started I had a limited selection of used clubs form used sporting equipment stores. I had a 3 and 5 wood, and a 4, 6, 8 and 9 irons and a putter. A driver/1 wood is not a good investment for a beginner golfer. A 3 wood is significantly more controllable and will produce better results as you work you your form.

Why do they care if we share clubs? that just seems dumb to me. I guess if I have to I'll rent clubs the first time.
    2.5 TMaxx
    Losi Mini Baja

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcb
    Why do they care if we share clubs? that just seems dumb to me. I guess if I have to I'll rent clubs the first time.
    They care because you will slow down the overall pace of the game, holding up people behind you causing tee times to be off and a loss of money to the course.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda_tmaxx
    They care because you will slow down the overall pace of the game, holding up people behind you causing tee times to be off and a loss of money to the course.

huh...never crossed my mind. However my friend has a membership to a pretty exclusive course that is never busy. He can call them on the way there to get a tee time during his 15 minute drive and get on the course right when he gets there so maybe they wont care. Also how much is on average a set of rental clubs?
    2.5 TMaxx
    Losi Mini Baja

RC Competitor
    Hey just to let you know, if you wanted a cheap set of clubs you can go to wal-mart. They sale full sets as packages. You could also go to Dicks sporting goods and buy full set packages.

I bought a cheap set as my first and then I decided to get a good set. Callaways rock, but thats me. I find ebay is a good place to pick up clubs. Thats where I got my good set from. Well a good set you will have to piece together, like the woods and then the irons and putter. Which I think is one of the hardest clubs to fit.

Welcome to the game though, you will love it. You can releave alot of stress doing it.

RC Champion
    I played golf once. 9 holes. At first I was shocked about the time the two fellows I went with said we should get there. But by the end of the game I realized it was a good idea. Ha! Hot... long...
    I was able to mooch clubs off one of the guys, but it was a pretty laid back course (at least that day, never been back). We didn't have to schedule a tee time or anything.
    I discovered something --- Golf sure isn't my thing.

RC Champion
    If you are thinking of picking up golf you can basically start of with any of the starter complete sets. The downside to starter sets is that if you happen to be taller than 6 feet you may not have that good of a time being as most sets are designed for people under 6 feet. If you find that after a while you like golf getting properly fitted for clubs can get rather expensive. Usually starts around $400 and can go up dramatically. Also fitted sets usually only come with the irons . The driver, woods, putter and golfbag will be extra.

Look at a thrift store maybe you can find a set there I found a set for 15.00 not new but they look OK. Stay away from pawn shops they will want almost new price for them.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Qualifier
    ebay, get yourself a set of ping eye 2`s, blue spots are nice i wouldnt mind a set of black spots. excellent clubs..

as for club sharing, its the rules of golf, it also slows play up lots, and there is nothing worse than being stuck behind slow players

RC Champion
    If you want new Id suggest getting a full set at dicks sports. That is where I bought my first full set. You could easily get a whole set including bag for $300.

Here is one for $180 for everyting, driver, woods, irons, hybrids, putter, bag, and covers. Not the best stuff but you wont find a better value unless you buy used.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=3003205
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Qualifier
    I disagree. You can go to a site like pinemeadow golf who sells clones of all the popular brands. They are very comparable to the branded version, without the price tag. For a new golfer, this is definitely the way to go. You can get the length you need, the flex you need, and it costs about $100 for a good set of irons. They even tell you what club each set is modeled after. For under $200 you can have a nice set of irons and woods that are replicas and function basically the same as the name brand. Check them out and read some reviews!

RC poster
    Hey Friends i am new in here i need some information about golf anyone can guide me
    Last edited by Double G; 03-05-2021 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spam link removed

Why are u talking about Golf on an RC forum? How about you just watch a YouTube video.
    This thread is over 10years old.
    Last edited by ThatTraxxas; 03-04-2021 at 07:35 AM.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTraxxas View Post
    Why are u talking about Golf on an RC forum? How about you just watch a YouTube video.
    That's what I was thinking.

I'm sure he googled "golf advice" or something along the lines of that and this thread was one of the first things to pop up.
    Last edited by ElectricPropils; 03-04-2021 at 02:05 PM.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    That's what I was thinking.

I'm sure he googled "golf advice" or something along the lines of that and this thread was one of the first things to pop up.
    Itís a spam bot... hopefully Double G or cooleocool will ban it. (Or take away perms)
    Hence why it says 0 posts.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

The Alley is for anything other than RC.

It’s a spam bot... hopefully Double G or cooleocool will ban it. (Or take away perms)
    Hence why it says 0 posts.
    Yes, it was spam. You do not add to your total posts by posting in the Alley so that is why you'll see some that post but still have zero total.

Spammers are now pulling up very old threads and many times they do not create a link in an entire word but rather a single letter or punctuation. Don't click on the bold character, just hover over to see what is linked and then report the post. Thanks!
    The Super Derecho