Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Single / Dual Chamber Resonator?

For those of you who have either one of these pipes can you sound off on the performance difference between them and the blue resonator that comes on the Jato?

I'm wondering if I will really get more top end with the dual chamber, and also wondering does the dual still have the punch to get outta the hole?

Thanks in advance.
    Trip
    Slash Spec Class Racer
    Hot Bodies D8

RC Competitor
    The single chamber is a top end pipe and the dual chamber is more bottom/mid range.I did some testing last weekend with my 3.3 Tec w both pipes and thats what i came up with.The sc pipe is much louder also.i'm not sure why they list the dc pipe as a high rpm pipe.???

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Single chamber pipe is for low end.
    Dual chamber is for top end.

World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtec
    The single chamber is a top end pipe and the dual chamber is more bottom/mid range.I did some testing last weekend with my 3.3 Tec w both pipes and thats what i came up with.The sc pipe is much louder also.i'm not sure why they list the dc pipe as a high rpm pipe.???
    for my application... which everyone is diff....
    i drilled the stinger of a dual chamber and by radar recieved more top end than the drilled or undrilled single....
    been there bought that

RC Racer
    gracias guys
    Slash Spec Class Racer
    Hot Bodies D8

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    u going for the chrome one?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch_639

if so the one out of my revo i tried to drill it to 13/64 i think that's what forbes wrote and its that size already im going to drill the one out of my jato soon.

for on-road hi speed run.... dual,
    for off-road bashing, track racing....single.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch_639
    yeah i'm slowly changing things to try and get more out of my jato, thinking about going for the dual chamber for some higher speeds on road...i think the stock blue resonator works good enough for everyday bashing...

then again when i get the dual chamber i may drill the stock pipe and see what happens

edit: just ordered the dual chamber !! YAY!
    Last edited by TripmasterNC; 08-28-2008 at 05:52 PM.
    Slash Spec Class Racer
    Hot Bodies D8

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Over_revO

My 3.3 tec pulled more rpm with the sc pipe...

RC Champion
    My 3.3 tec pulled more rpm with the sc pipe...
    is that from observation or radar proof?
    i found several things to appear faster.. but when radar hit it i was wrong...
    funny thing about the ear,,
    it makes the eye see faster or slower...
    been there bought that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My radar should be wrong then
    ABmods

RC Champion
    did u pull more with a single?
    i used the pipe u recomended and it was the winner
    been there bought that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On my TZ the dual chamber pulled more top end than the trinity, the single chamber resonator 4tec/jato (the stock one) and the Buku pipe.

I have had good result with both on the 3.3, but the dual chamber do give more top end. Since the pulse are going back into the sleeve quicker, the negine get on pipe later in the powerband producing higher rpm.... its peak power at an higher rpm...

It also depend the setup, if you are over geared, the single chamber may offer you better top end.

Like you said Forbes, if it was just by sound you cant really be sure.
    ABmods

RC Racer
    Hey Over_revO what's it mean to be over geared?
    Slash Spec Class Racer
    Hot Bodies D8

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you have the gearing too wide and never see the top end, the single chamber might give better ...top end...
    ABmods

RC Racer
    i think i got it, by wider gearing you mean geared for low end right? more torque and less overall speed?
    Slash Spec Class Racer
    Hot Bodies D8

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No, if the gearing is too long, meaning you are geared for more top speed that the engine can handle, a single chamber(torque) may give the impression to give better top end...

But seriously, the difference depend on a lot of factor... and its not like night and day for the stock single chamber and dual chamber.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-29-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: merge
    ABmods

RC Racer
    get that sc for the whole shot!! u wont b disapointed

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by forbes
    did u pull more with a single?
    i used the pipe u recomended and it was the winner
    Yes more rpm with the blue sc pipe over the polished dc pipe.The sc pipe definetely lost bottom end punch with my 3.3 Tec,you could hear the difference without a doubt.The sc pipe just screamed on the top end over the dc pipe.The sc pipe requires richer hsn settings also over the dc.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes more rpm with the blue sc pipe over the polished dc pipe.The sc pipe definetely lost bottom end punch with my 3.3 Tec,you could hear the difference without a doubt.The sc pipe just screamed on the top end over the dc pipe.The sc pipe requires richer hsn settings also over the dc.

The way 2 stroke engine work you cannot have more rpm from a longer pipe.
    Only torque.

The sound pulse exit the engine and rebound on the cone then go back to the engine keeping the fresh mixture in the engine. ..mostly..

When the engine spin in perfect harmony with the sound pulse we say the engine "get on pipe" that mean its where the engine produce its power.

The shorter the pulse the higher the rpm will be.

Shorter header = more rpm
    Shorter pipe = more rpm.

longer pipe = more torque and most case you need to richen the mixture.

The way my TZ is setup on my revo, i have problem making the revo shift into second gear with the single chamber, (if i use the shift point of the dual chamber)

When i use the dual chamber it shift and will even pull wheelies on the shift.
    ABmods

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Heres a test i did of the buku pipe on my revo, using my modfiied .18TZ.

You will see the buku cant give me the top end it need.
    I had to richen the mixture for the buku.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UdFs1gSix4
    ABmods

RC Qualifier
    Ok here's my 2 cents:

Based on the days that I tested 4-5 different exhausts, here are my results (using OS 18tm):

- Ripple Pipe (AL12T)
    - Big Block singe chamber pipe
    - Dual Chamber Resontor
    - Dynamite Dual Chamber pipe (http://www.rchobbies.org/dynamite_exhausts.htm)
    - Buku

Single chamber pipes, especially the big block single chamber, require richer HSN settings. Dual chambers require at least a full turn leaner setting. This probably relates to differences in back pressure.

It seems that (by ear), with single chamber pipes, a lot of the power is focused low to mid rpm, and just peaks early (there isnt much increase in acceleration when going half throttle to full throttle). I radared these pipes with a peak top speed of 60mph.

With dual chambers, bottom end is sluggish even when dialing a leaner setting (dual chambers causes more restriction on exhaust flow, allowing more exhaust to contribute towards more pressure in the fuel tank). The power is focused mid-high rpm. It's a very cool phenomenon to witness (referring to the difference with sc and dc). I recorded 62mph with the dynamite pipe noted above (my personal fastest top speed recorded so far).

The buku is like a super single chamber pipe. I dont think they are as fast on the top end as a dual chamber in my opinion, im not 100% sure. I've been too afraid of driving my Jato lately, due to stripping 2nd gears. (More time with the Rustler and now rebuilding my revo).

In my opinion, one very good pipe is the Ripple pipe (AL12T) https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=PCOAL12T

I bought it years ago, but it still proves to be a great pipe. Way better than the big block pipe i tested, and provided a well rounded power band. Really smooth (it is of course drilled).

Heres something to know when tuning to different pipes:
    Single chamber-> Less backpressure-> Less fuel flowing to engine-> Needs Richer Setting

Dual Chamber-> More backpressure-> More fuel flowing to engine-> Needs Leaner setting
    Last edited by RedMan3; 08-29-2008 at 08:47 PM.
    #mphModel: 60NR, 62Jato, 51Revo, 36Slash, 35MiniT

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMan3
    Ok here's my 2 cents:

Based on the days that I tested 4-5 different exhausts, here are my results (using OS 18tm):

- Ripple Pipe (AL12T)
    - Big Block singe chamber pipe
    - Dual Chamber Resontor
    - Dynamite Dual Chamber pipe (http://www.rchobbies.org/dynamite_exhausts.htm)
    - Buku

Single chamber pipes, especially the big block single chamber, require richer HSN settings. Dual chambers require at least a full turn leaner setting. This probably relates to differences in back pressure.

It seems that (by ear), with single chamber pipes, a lot of the power is focused low to mid rpm, and just peaks early (there isnt much increase in acceleration when going half throttle to full throttle). I radared these pipes with a peak top speed of 60mph.

With dual chambers, bottom end is sluggish even when dialing a leaner setting (dual chambers causes more restriction on exhaust flow, allowing more exhaust to contribute towards more pressure in the fuel tank). The power is focused mid-high rpm. It's a very cool phenomenon to witness (referring to the difference with sc and dc). I recorded 62mph with the dynamite pipe noted above (my personal fastest top speed recorded so far).

The buku is like a super single chamber pipe. I dont think they are as fast on the top end as a dual chamber in my opinion, im not 100% sure. I've been too afraid of driving my Jato lately, due to stripping 2nd gears. (More time with the Rustler and now rebuilding my revo).

In my opinion, one very good pipe is the Ripple pipe (AL12T) https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=PCOAL12T

I bought it years ago, but it still proves to be a great pipe. Way better than the big block pipe i tested, and provided a well rounded power band. Really smooth (it is of course drilled).

Heres something to know when tuning to different pipes:
    Single chamber-> Less backpressure-> Less fuel flowing to engine-> Needs Richer Setting

Dual Chamber-> More backpressure-> More fuel flowing to engine-> Needs Leaner setting
    what a gr8 explination..... thank u
    been there bought that

RC Competitor

I noticed you are using the sc pipe on your Jato for your "quest for top speed"...kind of going against your sc vs dc speech wouldn't you say?

RC Champion
    I noticed you are using the sc pipe on your Jato for your "quest for top speed"...kind of going against your sc vs dc speech wouldn't you say?

but on the other hand... with a lil reasearch......i found this... u may find it interesting scince u wrote it
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...85#post3260885

fourtec
    RC Enthusiast

I use the DC from Traxxas...seems to work better at mid to high rpm,s over the stock blue pipe.It also looks nicer (polished) but the bottom gets beat up from debris.I also tried cutting some length from the stock header and i totally lost my upper rpm,s.Replaced it with a new one and it came right back!

that is what i read in ur posts...
    so........... is that or this?

fourtec
    RC Enthusiast

i seem to be confused...... lol
    Last edited by forbes; 08-31-2008 at 12:57 PM.
    been there bought that

worstluck
    anyone seen the vantage racing pipes? they make a carbon fiber pipes and chassis too. im thinking about grabbin the pipe because of weight.
    heres the link. just scroll down to see the pipes.

RC Champion
    i have one in my pile of stuff....
    if it great for hole shot sounds great (it is loud)
    make sure u get the spring mounted header.... the old ones use to be bolt on..... and always snapped....
    it a good pipe...
    been there bought that

RC Champion
    check this out guys, it's one of my older posts from a different thread from ~ 1yr ago...there really isn't much of a difference in the top end performance between the SC & DC resonators...these %'s are when both pipes were compared to the stock plastic pipe that used to come on the 2.5 engine...
    Quote Originally Posted by redck1979
    there is not a big enough difference in performance between the two pipes to spend the money on the dual chamber resonator IMO...just look for yourself and you decide which is better...

Tuned Pipe Resonator Jato 3.3 (<-- click!)...
    FEATURES: The Traxxas Resonator aluminum tuned pipe is specifically
    engineered to fit right in the chassis
    The single-chamber design dramatically increases bottom-end punch by
    nearly 20% between between 10,000 and 15,000rpm, and continues to
    pull strong with a 10% increase from 15,000 to 30,000rpm.
    It's perfect to provide that extra snap of acceleration off the line.

Tuned Pipe Dual Chamber Jato (<-- click!)...
    FEATURES: The Traxxas Resonator aluminum tuned pipe for Jato is specifically
    engineered to fit right in the chassis and complement the Jato's
    TRX 0.15 racing engine
    Dual-chamber pipe improves top-end power with 11% peak power increase
    from 25,000-30,000rpm and smooth, linear power delivery
    It's perfect to provide that extra snap of acceleration off the line

now ask yourself this question...is it worth the 1% increase in top end power it has over the single camber pipe with the loss of the increase of power in the low to mid range...not IMO when it comes to drag racing...you want as much power you can get throughout the entire power band...
    "Growing OLD is mandatory, Growing UP is optional"

RC Competitor
    [QUOTE=forbes]but on the other hand... with a lil reasearch......i found this... u may find it interesting scince u wrote it
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...85#post3260885

fourtec
    RC Enthusiast

I use the DC from Traxxas...seems to work better at mid to high rpm,s over the stock blue pipe.It also looks nicer (polished) but the bottom gets beat up from debris.I also tried cutting some length from the stock header and i totally lost my upper rpm,s.Replaced it with a new one and it came right back!

that is what i read in ur posts...
    so........... is that or this?

fourtec
    RC Enthusiast

i seem to be confused...... lol[/QUOTE
    At the time i thought the dc was making more power up top but after doing some testing i was wrong...How i came to this conclusion was by trying my dc on my buddy's jato only to find that the blue pipe worked better on the top end.i then went back to the blue pipe on my Tec and made those observations.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I consistently swap stuff and test different things, that is with a different head mod and gearing, and trying the single chamber with it.

Are you having a problem with me?
    I have an opinion and not afraid to use it when i know im right.

Forbes used the dual chamber per my suggestion and i dont think he regret the test, he was willing to test it and im glad i could help him.
    ABmods

RC Racer
    Thanks to redman, forbes and over_revo for helping me with my question. You guys are always ready with your knowledge. I'm sorry that you got flamed in my thread over...
    Slash Spec Class Racer
    Hot Bodies D8

RC Competitor
    I consistently swap stuff and test different things, that is with a different head mod and gearing, and trying the single chamber with it.

Are you having a problem with me?
    I have an opinion and not afraid to use it when i know im right.

Forbes used the dual chamber per my suggestion and i dont think he regret the test, he was willing to test it and im glad i could help him.
    The problem i am having is that i know what i observed with my testing of the 2 pipes on my 3.3 Tec.The dc most definetely made more bottom end power and good top end while the sc lost bottom end and made explosive mid/top end.Wouldn't it make sense that Traxxas would use the dc on their models to obtain more top speed?....just my opinion.I'm now a proud owner of the Jato3.3 by the way.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thats fine with me if you have noticed more top end with a low end pipe.

Do you a favor and read this:
    http://www.southernskies.net/page_in...okeengine.html

Forget the fact it use reed valve, its the same thing for the nitro engines.

The last paragraph is the most important regarding the way the exhaust work.

Bigger cone (single chamber) create more low end response, and smaller cone or multiple section (dual chamber) create a "wide" powerband.

Thats how it work. I agree with your setup you may have found a better top end, but it was due to something else, not because the single chamber give more top end. Its just not possible. really.

Look at the buku pipe, the cone expand on low end to help bottom end and go toward the header on top end.

Heres how the buku work, you will see the cone move:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQeh8SxerAY

It is not to flame you, just to make you understand how it really work. The gearing you were using, the tires, etc... , anything that may be needed more torque, even the tone of the pipe can make it sound like it is better on top end.
    ABmods

so maybe it all depends on each individual needs, top end or else, it appears that few pipes says that it's working at the overall engine rpm's.. and even at the end i believe that it's matter of satisfaction for each person.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert JATO
    so maybe it all depends on each individual needs, top end or else, it appears that few pipes says that it's working at the overall engine rpm's.. and even at the end i believe that it's matter of satisfaction for each person.

Exactly! i never meant to say he didnt get more top end because of his
    setup,
    only that a single chamber pipe is not adding top end over a dual chamber (using the right one for your engine of course..)

The single chamber is a nice pipe to use with the Jato.

ABmods

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by forbes
    is that from observation or radar proof?
    i found several things to appear faster..
    now i use to get flamed when i made statements like that when makin certain claims, footage always helps. but u know wut they say....u always seem fast when u runnin by urself
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Racer
    The problem i am having is that i know what i observed with my testing of the 2 pipes on my 3.3 Tec.The dc most definetely made more bottom end power and good top end while the sc lost bottom end and made explosive mid/top end.Wouldn't it make sense that Traxxas would use the dc on their models to obtain more top speed?....just my opinion.I'm now a proud owner of the Jato3.3 by the way.
    Your last sentence is a little contradictory to the rest of your points..If your experience has shown you that the sc gives more top end, it wouldn't make sense for Traxxas to use the dc on their models to obtain top speed (Based on your claims/findings)....

congrats on the Jato!
    Slash Spec Class Racer
    Hot Bodies D8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast