Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Wink KB45-08XL 1700kv in an erevo

Running this motor with mmm esc,and 2x 3slipos at 22volts in my erevo,this has to be the best value and most torqueist brushless motor for the erevo by far i highly recommend it,anyone else using one?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you just made my day...
    I have been waiting for this for a long time;
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...brushless+idea

thank you!

*edit* dude...i need more info.
    what is your gearing?
    what batteries are you using?
    can you post pics?
    any cooling?
    Last edited by HoovHartid; 08-30-2008 at 02:12 AM.
    be nice.

RC poster
    The kb45 motor just fits in the erevo,the endbell touches the rear shock mount once you squeeze it in,as for pinions you can get them drilled (preferably on a lathe)to fit the larger shaft on the kb.This motor is super smooth and doesnt get that hot,after a 15minute run u can still touch the motor without burning your finger.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    did you know that kershawdesigns.com sells 6mm bore pinions?
    may be easier then creating your own on a lathe

what size spur and pinion are you using?
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    some pics would be nice! I'd like to know more about this motor too. Does front and rear cover have screws or press on?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    there is a pic of it in the thread i linked in post #2
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    Hoov I saw that but i've heard some people said its end bell is screw on but that pic doesn't look like it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    im pretty sure its a screw on, based on what others have said...but you have a point.

when i looked into these motors I found a place that offers a bearing upgrade
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...mr696c-yzz-nb2

when you click the pop-up for replacement instructions...it gives direction for replacement of a fiegao bearing set...which makes me wonder now if they are just compression fit, or if they really are screwed on...
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    nice find on the bearings, lets see what hepster say about it

RC poster
    trying to get a pict on here,how do u put a pict on here?
    Last edited by hepster; 08-30-2008 at 03:17 AM.

RC poster
    just using standard spur will have to get back to you on the pinion size

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by hepster
    trying to get a pict on here,how do u put a pict on here?
    I use photobucket.com
    its been the easiest way for me.
    be nice.

RC poster
    Last edited by hepster; 08-30-2008 at 03:42 AM.

RC poster

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    nice job man!
    be nice.

RC poster
    Read a lot of people having problems with there mmm,i must be one of the lucky ones,my mmm has been going strong for well over 6months now

RC poster
    Will try to get a video on utube in the next couple of days,seen other vids of brushless erevos but none with this setup

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    cool man, lookin forward to it
    be nice.

RC Competitor
    Can't wait for the vids. Thanks Hepster

RC poster
    Gonna get another one of these motors before the manufacters catch on that rc car guys are using them and put the price up,its quite amazing seeing this motor go in an erevo ive reglued my tires twice already,have to get some hpi flatlines as the talons cant handle

RC Qualifier
    Finally got mine up and running a few days ago as well.
    Kershaw is pretty much the only source for the right pinions.
    You could also run the motor and grind down the spinning shaft with a file or something like that, but I'd already ordered the pinion, so I waited...aand waited...
    With the MMM and a 2.4G radio, it's very nice. Glitched a little with the stock radio, but that seems to be par for the course.

Currently running 4S TRC 8A with 24/58 gearing and lowest MMM power settings with 20% punch. Plenty of power. I did have to file down the shock brace to make way for the motor a little bit(not an issue).
    In order to get the teeth to fully mesh, the pinion will have to go on backwards, but I'm having too much fun to bother changing things around and meshing halfway seems to be holding up just fine.

After about 15 minutes of back n forth in a parking lot, these were the temps:
    MMM = 134
    KB45 = 160
    Batt = 94

Adding a fan to the front of the motor bracket anyways, so that should help.
    The MMM fan did come on after heating things up.

So far, so great.
    Will try to get some pics n vids up as well.

RC Qualifier
    does this motor have front and end belt secured with screws?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No.

According to legend, the endbells are screwed into the can- think of an old fashioned smarties tube, only it screws in and isnt just pressed in.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

think of an old fashioned smarties tube,
    My smarties always came in a piece of plastic wrapped around it.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    Indeed, mine too. According to ********* it weighs 557g. What a porker! To compare, a Neu 1515 is about 350g. I know it has the stump pulling power to move the truck regardless of an extra 200g, but still, I bet it affects handling a bit. Can't beat the price, however. I'm glad it's running cooler for you than my KD36 9XL did...
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmm...

Well, they do come in bags these days over in the UK, or in a new style tube that everybody hates:

Anyway, I doubt the endbells will come off very easily- just keep an eye on it for any signs by trying to twist the motor whilst its bolted up in place.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Qualifier
    jeez... that thing is a Hawg! Even the neu motors don't look that big! So far so good huh. Might have to think about going this route. Had my finger on the buy button for a mmm but just haven't done it yet. Any feedback on a good gear setup for this motor? What about speeds?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by J3110
    Currently running 4S TRC 8A with 24/58 gearing and lowest MMM power settings with 20% punch. Plenty of power. I did have to file down the shock brace to make way for the motor a little bit(not an issue).
    In order to get the teeth to fully mesh, the pinion will have to go on backwards, but I'm having too much fun to bother changing things around and meshing halfway seems to be holding up just fine.

After about 15 minutes of back n forth in a parking lot, these were the temps:
    MMM = 134
    KB45 = 160
    Batt = 94
    Bearing in mind there are different sizes and Kv to choose from, this setup sounds fine, perhaps a little ungeared even- these motors do like to be geared tall goping by a few other people's experiences with them. Definately amp hungry though, so use good batts that can deliver over 100amps continuously, ideally.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Qualifier
    the american smarties
    E-REVO (my dream)
    ~neu 1515/1Y/S
    ~MMM

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How strange, those look just like 'love-hearts':

READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Enthusiast
    Hepster, I am glad you are happy with this setup. To get a bit more top end speed you might want to try different spur gear, like 62T or even 58T. That motor gave out huge amount of torque, so why not turn some of them into speed.

RC Racer
    Suicideneil, they do not sell Smarties as we know them in the U.S. at least not everywhere. but in Canada they just come in a rectangular box. Closest thing they have is M&M's.

Anyway, that motor is huge, if my Medusa is not powerful enough I will likely try out this motor.

RC Competitor

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How bizzare...
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    You can get smarties and polos and stuff out here but only at specialty import stores. Not mainstream in USA like Toblerone and Cadbury at grocery stores. Hersheys makes M&Ms and rules America with them so Nestle made smarties and took over Europe lol

why are we talking about candy? isnt this a traxxas page, looks good though

RC Qualifier
    ...back to the topic at hand, I am actually geared based off someone else's post that they had done this gearing and it worked out ok for them.
    My MMM died after putting about 8Ah though it, so I'm back to the MM for now and it seems to be working(thankfully).
    Hard to compare this to my 7XL as that was in an e-maxx which handles quite different from the e-revo. The e-revo seems to stay planted better and doesn't pop wheelies as readily(prolly has something to do with the lower COG).
    I think I will keep it geared like this for awhile. Any lower and the motor's gonna fry. Nothing else seems to be getting too hot, but I have yet to test the stamina of this setup(that'll happen this wed). I am hoping the motor will be able to dump the heat as fast as I can make it, but I fear that won't be the case even though I'm only pushing maybe 25,000 rpm at the high end.
    I still have the larger spur(62) in case I find I need it, but I can't imagine I will aside from mitigating escessive heat buildup in the ESC. If anything, I may get a bigger pinion. Power is not an issue. Wheelies on demand up through about 15mph. Nice parabolic-feeling power curve.
    Last edited by J3110; 09-02-2008 at 04:11 AM.

RC poster
    Hi hepster here,im not having any problems with heat,same spur gear motor turning at 38 0000 rpm,after 20mins the esc is warm the motor hot,but u can still touch it,batteries warm,im pretty sure im hitting the 45mph plus will get a video up by the weekend

RC poster
    You need 6cells for this motor dude its 36volts,ive tried 4cells,6 is so much better

RC poster
    Have u seen this video on utube?

70 FEET OF NOTHING BUT AIR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast