RC Qualifier

Tired of your pivot balls caps backing out? I am... THE FIX!

Alright.. so I am fed up w/ the pivot ball caps backing out and I'm just sharing a super cheap quick mod to correct this issue! Seems like they should be made this way.... I drilled right through the knuckle and cap, but you could just drill into the knuckle and screw tight into the cap giving you an option to move it later, but it won't be as secure.

Get some Grub Screws 3mm hardened work best (Traxxas #2743)
    Get a 2.5mm drill bit (I used the traxxas one that came with my sway bar kit)
    Cordless drill..

Steps
    • Set your caps so your pivot balls are perfect for motion w/o any loose slop in the forward or backward direction but free to move around (you only get 1 chance!!)
    • Check and make sure you set your caps properly!
    • Get your drill w/ the 2.5mm bit and drill a hole through the front side of your knuckle 40% of the way between where your dust boot latch is and the side (see photo), if you are off be a touch closer to the boot clip. (see photo)
    • Repeat the process for the upper and lower on each of your knuckles
    • Screw in the 3mm grub screws and you're done! EASY!
    • Go race/bash!

PS I also installed the Jato shock boots (5464) on my shocks, while racing my shocks get soo nasty so even if the boot somehow inhibits movement (doesn't seem too) it's no worse than the crud I get on them racing.. LOL They work great so far...

Last edited by 1fasterevo; 09-07-2008 at 02:15 AM.
    Neu 1515 2.5d & 1.5d, 2x MMM -sIck IaM

RC Qualifier
    Quick update, both mods worked great so far. I'm racing on Thursday and next Sunday provided weather is reasonable, this will be the true test. I will try to remember to update if anyone wants to know? LOL not a single post so I guess maybe I'm the only one, and if that is the case it doesn't matter if they work! LOL

RC Racer
    I like the shock boots idea, I never had a problem with my pivot ball caps backing out, but good idea on the mod.

RC Champion
    I have the flextech arms on my maxx and being metal they back out alot, I caked them in lock tite but your idea would perma fix it. Let us know after the race what you think, I broke 2 pillow balls yesterday and will be messing around with that area as soon as the postman delivers.

RC Racer
    I was (am) having the same problem...not so much with the True Track set up though. So, for the fronts I used a dab of shoe goo. It worked for a while, but by the end of the day it broke loose. I'll try a bit more Shoe Goo, locktite (blue) or your mod.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
    I was (am) having the same problem...not so much with the True Track set up though. So, for the fronts I used a dab of shoe goo. It worked for a while, but by the end of the day it broke loose. I'll try a bit more Shoe Goo, locktite (blue) or your mod.
    My true tracks don't have this issue, it's just the traxxas knuckles that do it. This mod seems to have corrected the issue, at least for now.. when racing I couldn't even make it through a short qualifier w/o them backing out some. I don't really crash a lot, it's just the abuse of hitting the jumps/turns etc.
    Last edited by 1fasterevo; 09-08-2008 at 06:25 AM.