Thread: Mountain Bike

RC Qualifier

Mountain Bike

Hey guys, I wanna know of a mountain bike thats really good,Tough, Adjustable, as most bike i buy i set up for smaller guys. I want something that kicks butt off road, But is streetable, nothing more than $500. It needs to be jumpable, moderately light, Any suggestion, prices links are loved. Oh ya, no walmart or target junk.
    '08 Bullitt,Rusty,Revo,CR 125 modded, stock YFZ450

RC Qualifier
    What do you mean adjustable? Are you wanting a full suspension mountain bike? If that's the case you're not likely one for less than $500.
    T-Maxx 3.3 turned Predator

RC Champion
    Check pinkbike/Ebay/Craigslist for listings in your area. Cause nothing new that is really good, tough, and adjustable is above 1000 new. And anything is jumpable, but the landing is a different story...
    Retired RC'r till funds can be found...:(

RC Qualifier
    yup full suspension . Maybe i'll ask for xmas then but sure any good bikes you know of?

RC Champion
    Marin! Great bikes, I own 2, 1 urban bike, and 1 like This. If you look around for deals, you could probably get them around $600 or so for last years model. I got a reconditioned one that had been used once from my local bike shop and was a 2006 model for $635 including tax. (Bought in late 2007) GREAT BIKE so far and I cannot stress how well this brand is made. Elsewise, if you don't want FSP then hit up this bike. I have a friend who owns one, and have ridden it, gotta say it is the nicest ride I have ever had on a non Suspension franme
    Last edited by rocky8333; 09-07-2008 at 08:00 PM.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Champion
    All depends on what you want.
    Haro-Good beginner
    Giant-Im in love with
    Trek-Getting better
    Norco/Kona-theres better...
    Specialized-Generally a strong frame
    Iron Horse-From what ive heard, decent bikes
    Turner/Santa Cruz/Foes/Intense-Lots of $$$, but soo worth it
    All depends on what you want to do. Freeride, Dirt Jump, Downhill, Cross country, All mtn. Any amount of travel you want?

RC Champion
    Not too many big mountains in wisconsin . I know, I live in Minnestoa
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Qualifier
    get a specialized hardrock, or hrxc, specialized makes great bikes, or get a giant (my favorite make of bike). those are pretty much the most reliable, ajustable and nicest bikes for that price. actually they are pretty good for any price

RC Qualifier
    Well from reading what you guys said. Tomorrow im gonna ride the bmx bike( mirraco five star intro) to the bike shop and see what bike I like prices, and compare them. BTW im only 13 thats why im riding bikes.

RC Champion
    Thats also a good idea. Im 16 and im still riding. I even bought a Glory 0 back in April....

RC Competitor
    get a trek 4000 series. who needs a full suspension? i love my 4300! we got rear ended and the only thing broken was a partially bent front wheel. these are very durable and reliable bikes. my dad has a carbon trek road bike from almost 20 years ago and its still perfect. its his daily ride/fitness bike. (sorry i'm biased toward treks, but i love 'em!)
    Wow I'm a noob:
    Nitro Sport
    Team Losi Micro DT

RC Champion
    Lost & Found on the intersection of Walk & Don't Walk
    mongoose xr200, fron disc brake, easy ride.

RC Champion
    I like my Trek 4300. But it's a hard tail.
    No rusty & no maxx

RC Competitor
    yeah i have that one too, its a great bike!
    Wow I'm a noob:
    Nitro Sport
    Team Losi Micro DT

treks are very duable. I ahve had my trek 4500 for a year and nothing has went wrong with it. i doesn't have full suspension but it rides great.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Champion
    You already know my opinion, Bullitt. Only thing bad on mine was the rear wheel bearing failed (after riding the bike a quarter mile through the ocean.)

For the record, the bike is an '06 hardrock Sport from Specialized.
    Dontworry,thelightathendofthetunnelisatrain!

RC Qualifier
    Well didnt get to go it rained like crazy today. Eh dont have any momney right now so it doesnt really matter anyways

RC Qualifier
    One of these would suit you really well.
    T-Maxx 3.3 turned Predator

Take a look at Kona's bikes. I have the Kona Stuff, and I think it is one of the best all around frames you can get. I have 2 sets of wheels, one with street tires and one with 2.5" dirt tires, so I can go from on road to off road in about a minute.

Just as a suggestion, if you aren't going to do serious downhill riding, don't worry about a rear suspension. Unless you can lock the shock in place so it doesn't move, you spend all your energy bouncing up and down while pedaling instead of going forward, and the extra weight isn't nice. The ULTRA high end bikes have overcome these problems, but not for less than $2000. I payed over $3000 for a Specialized full suspension (even if that isn't your favorite brand, you gotta admit they ain't junk!), BUT I HATED IT. Downhill it rocked, everywhere else it sucked. I sold it within 2 weeks. . .

I put my Kona together from fleabay parts VERY cheap for what I got. Just like someone who buys a Revo and upgrades to a 2.4ghz radio, people upgrade brand new bikes and put basically unused parts up for sale cheap. Example - Shimano XT rear derailleur, new price about $65-$75, but I payed about $30 shipped. I picked up the Kona Stuff frame that someone assembled, didn't ride, then parted out for $100 shipped, new price is $400 or so. You couldn't tell it was used untill I started beating on it.

RC poster
    wow wow How about that If my question isnt about traxxas i get booted.
    traxxas traxxas traxxas

RC Qualifier
    Check out www.bikesdirect.com -My brother got a good fullsuspension rig around $550.
    "This ain't no Wal-Mart toy"

RC Champion
    ^I havent even heard of half those bike companies.

Check out the new 09 Giants for something that will really last. Plus their frames have a awesome warrenty.

Kona bikes, i have a few select words. Just search for snapped Konas...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx-Damage
    ^I havent even heard of half those bike companies.

Check out the new 09 Giants for something that will really last. Plus their frames have a awesome warrenty.

Kona bikes, i have a few select words. Just search for snapped Konas...
    I did a search for snapped Konas, like you recommended. Found some. Also found a bunch of snapped Giants, Treks, Specialized, Cannondales, and all sorts of others. I honestly don't think that Kona frames are weaker than any other frames in the same price range. It is a large company, and they sell LOTS of bikes, so you will see more broken ones. I doubt the percentage is higher than any other company.

Allot of the broken frames I saw (of all brands) appeared to have front forks that were clearly too long. That puts huge stress on the head tube, and most manufacturers will void the warranty if you use longer travel forks than they recommend.

I do know that I have had my Kona for 3 years. I've used it as both a daily commuter with street tires, and as a trail and light downhill ride on the weekends. I've worn out 2 front and rear gear sets, at least 4 chains, a set of derailleurs, and a set of hubs. The forks have been rebuilt twice. I'm on my second set of street tires - ripped up a few off road tires, too. I've tacoed 3 rims (one was a Sun Mammoth - that one HURT) and the frame is no more than scratched. I'm not convinced that this is a weak bike.
    Last edited by Cainam; 09-10-2008 at 07:22 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    just remember that trek bicycles are proven winners. after all when lance armstong won his tour de france's he was on a trek. and i cant recall him having many issues. he had a chain pop once or twice and i think that is all.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Qualifier
    Well hate to burst your bubble but I think trek would put a little bit more love into his bike than mine there buddy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt2008
    Well hate to burst your bubble but I think trek would put a little bit more love into his bike than mine there buddy.
    after checking out the trek site earlier today i doubt that. they appear to put alot of attention into every bike they build.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had a honda racong mountain bike I REALLY liked, but it got stolen. Anyways, honda makes very affordable, well performing bikes.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Champion
    Well, i could say a bunch of stuff about Konas, have it called bs. So ill just move on and say most frames are snapped do to to big of forks, but others snap from one of these other causes-big drop to flat/crash/bad company/bad weld/outsourcing/and using bottom of the line parts.

Trek is mainly a road bike company, plus there is alot better out there for bang for your buck.

RC Qualifier
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32573

Im starting to lean twoard this one.

RC Champion
    My little brother has the specialized hardrock comp disc and there's an adjustability option for the disc brakes so you can fine tune them:http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32573
    and if you want to go a little extra then there's the pro disc version also, but IMO I wouldn't get it unless you're actually in mountain climbing competitions or something of that sort. here's the link anyways: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32575. This one's cheaper but it doesn't have the fine tuning option for the disc brakes (still an excellent bike for what you said you want): http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32574
    Last edited by OM514; 09-12-2008 at 06:24 AM.
    "As you think, so shall you become." -Bruce Lee

RC Champion
    Sandy, Utah you can find me at the construction bash site a lot
    I want a full suspension for free style mountain. Can you reccomend me one? Has to be Specialized. I am leaning towards this one http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCExperience.jsp?eid=2 But has to be under the 700 dollar range. Has to have disk brakes too.
    Agree with slowenufs sig wheres the new 4 tec?

Why does it have to be specialized? and caliper brakes are just as good as disk brakes now. That wasn't true a few years back but now it is.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Champion
    Sandy, Utah you can find me at the construction bash site a lot
    It doesnt have to but I would prefer a Specialized or trek. And yes disk brakes are better because if your rim gets the slightest bit bent with rim brakes you have an unwanted friction on the brakes. Also it takes long for the pad to clean the rim because it has to clean the whole rim of mud/snow water ect.... when disk brakes have to clean a tiny bit of the pad to actually start grabbing. Disk brakes are more durable and yes they are better for mountain biking than rim brakes are. Road bikes use rim brakes because they are lighter than disk and usually dont ride in the elements. They dont have to be durable so when making road bikes they have to keep in mind the rider will not be bshin through and takin big jumps and will not likely bend the wheel.
    Agree with slowenufs sig wheres the new 4 tec?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jatodood
    I want a full suspension for free style mountain. Can you reccomend me one? Has to be Specialized. I am leaning towards this one http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCExperience.jsp?eid=2 But has to be under the 700 dollar range. Has to have disk brakes too.
    For $700 to get a fully with disk's. Look into used bikes. Pinkbike buy/sell has some good deals more often than not.
    Generally $700 is about the base price for a good DJ bike...