RC poster

E-Revo 1/16 - On Sale - Should I ?

I'll try to keep this short...

Bought my son (8) a Slash 4x4 last year w/ 12T motor - has basically mastered it.
    Planning on 'surprising' him with a VXL upgrade to it for Christmas.

We travel to my in-laws a fair bit but can't travel with the Slash.

I'm thinking of getting him a 'cheaper' traxxas to run while we are at their house.

I was looking at the E Revo with the Titan 550 that is 'on sale' for $180 - smart buy or not so much? Top speed?

The next step would be the E Revo VXL for $70 more.

The 'sale' price of the 550 has me considering it over the VXL, but I also know to upgrade it to the VXL later would cost more - but this also will not be the 'primary' one he runs given it will say at their house.

Just looking for some advice to push me one way or the other.

Also, I was hoping to find a 'black friday' sale on these things but they are not discounted anywhere!

Thanks!

RC poster
    Someone has to have an opinion

I have the brushed merv and find it quite fun. It just doesn't do too well in medium or tall grass, so keep that in mind.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    I have the brushed merv and find it quite fun. It just doesn't do too well in medium or tall grass, so keep that in mind.
    I can’t say how well the Brushed mini revo does in grass, but I traded for a used VxL last summer and it is silly fast on gravel and short grass.

RC poster
    I ended up purchasing the VXL as I found a site with a pretty good deal with a small 'bundle' of add-on's as well.

I think it should be perfect knowing where he will run it. I was in my local hobby store upgrading the slash to VXL and they had the 'full size' e-revo on display, that is a monster!