Thread: Lipo info.

RC Enthusiast

Lipo info.

Hi people!

Im going to buy an e-revo in a few weeks, but i have a quistion about the lipo batteries, can i put these 4s 2500mah lipo's in parrelell? so i have 4s2p 5000mah? will that be good for an stock e-revo?

http://www.*********.com/*********/s...C_Lipoly_Pack_

Sorry for my bad englisch, im 13 and from the netherlands.

Freek.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You could, and it would work fine with the stock titans and evx2.

I'd rather go for something a bit bigger though:

http://www.*********.com/*********/s...00mAh_4S1P_15C

A pair of those in parallel will fit (just), provide nearly double the runtime, and be good for any future upgrades to the esc/ motors.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Enthusiast
    Will that work out fine? this is some out of the faq:

The downside is that you are rather limited on the type and size of batteries that you can use. 7 cell side by side nimh packs fit fine, but you are restricted to 8000mah 2s, or 5000mah 3s lipo packs.

Or is this only about the size of the pack?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thats mainly refering to the size of the packs- a 8000mah 2s lipo is roughly the same size as a 5000mah 3s lipo, so I used that as a general rule for picking lipos. The exact dimensions of the battery trays are also in the FAQ with a nice picture/diagram, so you can refer to that when making a final descision.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Enthusiast
    ok i will get those lipo's, what will be my riding time, just wen im bashing it?

And how do i put it in parralel? do you have a special connector for it? or do i have to make it myself? and when i do, how?

Thnx

RC Enthusiast
    Can i use this cable on 1 connector of the esc? so i give 1 connector 14.8 v?

http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=2155

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Runtime is a tricky one to guess, but with about 8000mah on tap, you could be looking at about 30-45minutes+.

You can buy a parallel adaptor just like the one you linked to, but you will also need a 'jumper' to short out the unused connector on the esc, like this- but with TRX plugs/ deans:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPYB3&P=7 (you can make one very easily).

And wire it all up like this basically:

You will also need a 4s LVC, and wire it up to the side with the batteries connected- the novak smartstop is very popular.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    These may be even better. They're slightly less capacity than the *****s that Neil linked (I think those might be the record for overall capacity in an E-Revo) but the Rhinos are rated at 20C and should be good for 148 amps continuous and up to 222 in burst!

BTW, your English is much better than a lot of people around here.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Racer
    Neil i need a 1 on 1 Lipo Voltage education.Can u give me a quick explanation.I run 2 2s2p 8000 mah just plugged in regular.I have seen so many different packs and wiring configs im lost.All i know is i get excellent power outta my SPC 2s2p 7.4v 8000 mah and 45+ min runtimes.Not sure about all these different voltages.I noticed the 5000 4s was 14.8?????

RC Racer
    a single lipo cell is 3.7 volts. so a 2 cell pack is 7.4 v and a 3 cell is 11.1 v and so on. a 4 cell pack is 14.8 v just the same as 2 7.4v packs in series.
    "I swear to drunk I'm not God occifer."

RC Enthusiast
    Thanxs for the onformation, i will make that thing for my self, is an lvc reale nacecery? cant i just stop when the power get less?

That lipo's are 3s, i will stick with the *****'s.

RC Enthusiast
    you don't want to do that, the run time will be like one minute.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf@ma
    you don't want to do that, the run time will be like one minute.
    Silence!
    The runtime will be more like 30 minutes plus with almost 8000mah on tap- and they arent over-rated/ over priced like some brands I could mention.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Enthusiast
    I have heard some good things about the *****'s, im 13 so i dont have money for the maxamps.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frekkel
    I have heard some good things about the *****'s, im 13 so i dont have money for the maxamps.
    You are better off with *****'s over Maxamps in my opinion.

If your worried about the discharge rating, you could use THESE
    (deans already connected)
    or you could use THESE as well
    (Need to buy connectors)

also, THIS thing comes with the jumper thing neil was talking about in the 7th post. (Only its a deans style connector)

The problem with all this is, with any batteries you choose, you will need to decide if you want to convert to Deans, or stick with traxxas connectors.

If you decide to go "deans" you can get some on the cheap HERE

Their pic needs to be updated. Those Deans connectors I linked actually have some grip on them. They look like this;
    be nice.

RC Champion
    maybe this will help, blue = not good max, huh ? who ? slim shady !!!

if you lick them

RC Enthusiast
    JayJay, are you boredor something?

I will stick with the *****'s that neil linked me.

im going to use deans, that connecter thing is just an parralel connect with a switch on it? so i can take that thing of, and i will have a switch and a connector thing. so i put the 2 sippy's @ 1 slot of the esc, and the switch on the other, the side withouth bec.

I get it, i think.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not a switch exactly, just a short piece of wire that shorts out the + and - wires on one side of the esc. You could just as easily cut the plug off of the wires and join them directly, but the jumper is a neater solution really.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Enthusiast
    Yea thats what i mend but i did not know the word for it

RC Champion
    EDIT: is there a way to get larger batteries in the e-revo? mods to the battery holders?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jolynsbass
    EDIT: is there a way to get larger batteries in the e-revo? mods to the battery holders?

more like chassis mods
    be nice.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A dremel is a wonderful tool, as are velcro straps
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Enthusiast
    Hi,

I'm Belgian (live in the Netherlands Rotterdam), 31y, 0y and 50 minutes experience in RC, although heavily bitten by the RC car virus => 12hours of reading on car RC and mostly eRevo

This thread seems suited for me: LiPo, Battery Packs, rewiring, modding eventually.

They sold me this:
    COR48250 2 cell (7.4V) 5000 mAh Lipo Battery Intellect

Complete rookie (noob) I am, I had only read about the Safety Switches for LiPo. They guy at the counter told me that it would go in my E-Revo, but that I should stop running it from the moment that it would "seem" to slow down or have less power. After reading the (really ultimately informative and well maintained) posts on this forum I found out I need a Safety Switch on my stock ERevo. They sell one for about €19 but I find it rather big and high priced. Still I don't want to kill the batteries of course. My first run was with NiMh: better safe than sorry.

I probably need this to run my LiPo's (It says Lipo Safety Switch) with it:

1. Are the LiPos I have any good?
    2. What does the S mean in the battery pack names? Where does the #C assignment comes from technically and how does it play a role in terms of performance?
    3. I have two LiPo battery packs: do I need 2 of these so called Safety Switches? (I will get them in the shop asap, unfortunately I do not have much choise in shops nor items here)
    4. So an LVC is what they call a Safety Switch?
    5. Is there a rookie guide somewhere where you can read the basics? English is not my native language and if they start with technical terms or with abbreviations I get lost pretty easily. For instance the guide in the booklet of the E-Revo describing how to set your camber.

(edit: found some info here, I knew it would be on this forum http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=438160 )
    Please confirm if correct.
    A 2c2s 5000mAh pack has 2 cells in series. So a 7.4v 2c2s pack has 2 Cells of 3.7v 5000mAh? Is that also why you need a balancer on your loading station, to get each cell good?
    Last edited by Pl0p; 09-18-2008 at 05:51 PM.

RC Racer
    Well I Really Think U Shuld Save Up And Wait A Lil And Go For The Max Amps Cuz Im 13 To And Im Thinking About Going Brushless And Then Getting The Maxamps 800o Lipo Pack Pair . But They Will Still Work For With The Stock 550 Motors

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Frekkel
    JayJay, are you boredor something?
    Most likely but undiagnosed due to Iatrophobia, but luckily you dont need doctors, more education can cure your spelling issues. border

RC Enthusiast
    Im 13 and from an other country, what do you think? im a wonder in englisch?

RC poster

Help for newbie

Below you run 2 packs in parallel but to only 1 half of the speed control. I hate to sound dumb, but i can not see how this is differant the running 1 pack to each side of the speed control.
    1 pack to 1 motor (4000MAH @ 7.4 V)
    +
    1 pack to 1 motor (4000MAH @ 7.4 V)
    =
    2 packs to 2 motors (8000 MAH @ 14.8 V)

Is this not the same as running 2 packs in parrallel thru half the speed contoller when there is the same 2 motors on the outlet?

What is the advantage to running one only 1 power input of the ESC with the same 2 packs in parrallel, then just running them into the ESC and letting it combine the 2 packs?

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

RC Enthusiast
    The packs that we put in parrelel are 4s, 14.8v, so you put them in perralel so they stay 14.8v but dubbel te mah. if you put 2 4000 mah 7.4 packs in serie, you wil get 14.8v but stay the same mah= 4000mah.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi, im back and im going to buy lipo's.

Can i buy 2 of these and put them into serie?
    Intellect 2 cell Lipo 5100 mAh, 25C, 7,4V, 2S-2P

I dont know what 2s2p means.