RC Champion

I revisited the old single VXL set-up.

Well I got irritated waiting for my new ESC and stuck one VXL system in a truck. It isn't as quick as the old one because I didn't get a chance to cut all the weight but it absolutely kills any brushed E-Maxx out there. This is on some HPI Phaultline tires that were graciously gifted to me by another member. It is running a ***** 3s 5000mah LiPo and 22/66 gearing. The temps after bashing were 165 on the motor and 162 on the ESC. I have to say, it is still loads of fun.

The answer is no. And yes, mine is faster.

RC Champion
    dude even with one vxl that thing is a beast. im not sure if watching videos make the truck seem faster than in person, but your truck looks faster than my 7xl/mmm 5s 5k neulipos maxx geared 24/68.
    www.knoxxgear.com

RC Champion
    I outran a 7XL on 4s. And that was on 66/18 gearing and a puffed LiPo. To be fair, he beat me twice. But they were very close races and on this gearing I should walk away from him. This gearing makes more top speed but less torque.

RC Champion
    oh yea i remember that vid. the night parking lot race. you still got plenty of torque with 22/66 anyways from the looks of it.
    www.knoxxgear.com

RC Qualifier
    That thing rips man. Thanks for the vid, I was wondering how they would run on just one VXL. I think thats the way I want to run mine. I don't need the stupid fast MMM/Neu or vtwin. Just want to upgrade a bit from stock because I'm sick of burning up titans.

RC Qualifier
    How well does the single VXL set-up do when you are off-roading, in tall grass, climbing hills etc.?
    Support our Troops

RC Racer
    ok so u can use a single vxl setup? will a 6 cell work? whats about 2 wired together?

Quote Originally Posted by iwantastampede
    ok so u can use a single vxl setup? will a 6 cell work? whats about 2 wired together?
    no i would use 9c or 3s it will pull to many amps!

RC Racer

throw me a link if I read you the time

ask them if you got'em s . i . c . k . (Super Insane truCK)

hMM. . I'm currently looking into upgrading my plastic pieces on my 3906 to preform for the "V-Twinn". Any recent links you can provide to help me out? Every thing's is Traxxas stock plastic and ready to melt when I purchase el lipos. It would really help me out and be much appreciated,thnx

RC Champion
    My old single VXL did awsome in grass and bashed with the best of them. See pics below of the temps after a hard bash session in grass/hills.

No, two 6 cell packs won't power it. You pretty much need 3s LiPo. See pic below on the ideal placement of the battery.

I also use all Traxxas plastic. I run a stock 3.3 driveline including Revo 3.3 centers and I use all plastic gears in the transmission. I rarely break parts on this truck.

RC Competitor
    Nice tempted, I may have to try that setup when i get the cash. What gearing are you running to keep the temps down

RC Champion
    That was 66/20 and most of the bash was spent in 1st gear.

RC Competitor
    Sweet I will have to try it out its a nice cash saver over the Novak Hv. Well in my case anyways. Maybe upgrade the idlers and go for the V-Twin later down the road.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofKings
    Sweet I will have to try it out its a nice cash saver over the Novak Hv. Well in my case anyways. Maybe upgrade the idlers and go for the V-Twin later down the road.

He is waiting for his 2nd VXL esc to return from traxxas. He has already had the v-twin in the truck.
    [_,[UGA],
    l---L OlllllllO-
    (0)_) (0)_)---)_)

truck looks great after a true bash session!!!
    U.D.R. IN FULL MOD MODE
    MMX SUMMIT 2200KV!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempted
    That was 66/20 and most of the bash was spent in 1st gear.
    For the guys that are thinking of running a single VXL setup I think that this is worth repeating. If you want to keep the temps down then your going to want the 2 speed tranny. Bashing a single VXL with only second gear is going to make your motor/esc/battery work much harder then they like to.

Tempted: shame on you for putting such thoughts in peoples heads again.
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice job man!

RC Champion
    I know this is an older thread but I had to comment on the video... That truck is sick with that set up! It acts almost as crazy as my VXL Revo. Are you sure you got all of that from the supposedly underpowered VXL3 system? Its surprising that its not the stock item for the BL version. It seems to do the job very well. But now that its been a while I have to ask, how has it held up? My assumption would be that it may have fried by now. If its truly not meant to power a full size MT then why does it do so well? It sounds like a great alternative!
    Phs 2 S-Maxx build- 24/54 gears. Can U say faster?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had a VXL in my Revo and it did very well, only issue is proper gearing or they will heat up and get hot..
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Qualifier
    Wow, that is very impressive. I thought about trying a single VXL in my 1/8 buggy if i wanted to try brushless, and watching this video it sure looks like it would work great. Although my buggy probably weighs as much or more than an e-maxx(its heavy), it looks like it would still work great. Im more of a nitro guy, but it would be nice to be able to switch back and forth as i wanted.
    Cummins Powered!

RC poster
    I have just converted my E Maxx using a single VXL system and I love it ,heaps of power and enough torque to pull wheelies too, currently it's running on 2 11.1v 25c 2200mah lipos in parallel, and with stock gearing, temps are fine but I'm running the LRP heatsink on the motor and traxxas fan on the ESC. can't wait to get some decent batteries, as I have one issue with the receiver cutting out power under some sever acceleration ( spektrum running telemetry), have tried a power saving cap on the RX but still cuts out occasionally.

RC poster
    I have just converted my E Maxx using a single VXL system and I love it ,heaps of power and enough torque to pull wheelies too, currently it's running on 2 11.1v 25c 2200mah lipos in parallel, and with stock gearing, temps are fine but I'm running the LRP heatsink on the motor and traxxas fan on the ESC. can't wait to get some decent batteries, as I have one issue with the receiver cutting out power under some sever acceleration ( spektrum running telemetry), have tried a power saving cap on the RX but still cuts out occasionally.

RC Champion
    so it can be geared to keep everything cool?iv been looking in to 1/8th systems, but this looks like it would be great.
    i already have the low/high tranny, just no servo to change gears(locked in 2nd) cva's and flm chassis
    auto 5, great guy to deal with