Thread: Ammo Brushless

RC Qualifier

Ammo Brushless

Will this motor work in the e-revo http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=dh-gpmg5320

I used a smaller ammo motor in my mini quake and they are very high quality and have great power so I thought this might be a good bl for the e-revo.

I am planning on running it on a 14 cell matched ener-g pack. I want to run it on some type of cheap aircraft esc with external bec. Not sure which one to get though. Thanks in advance for any help.

RC Champion
    Roughly equal to an "L" can, you'll probably have to gear down so it doesn't pull excessive current and heat up. People generally use "XL" can motors, which are around 70mm long, which give it more torque. A 7XL will have about the kv you're looking at, but think an 8XL or even 9XL would be a better choice with 14 cells.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the reply, I have heard the feigao motors get very hot and burn up quickly. Is this common? The Feigao 8xl would looks pretty good. What gearing should I run with this motor?

RC Champion
    Well, they do get warm after about 15 minutes of running, but a 10 minute break keeps them fine. They don't burn up too easily unless you are geared really wrong generally. I ran a 9XL on 14 GP3300 cells on my converted Revo for a long time before I sold it. Temps got to around 140-145*F, but taking a 10 min break between battery swaps was all it needed.

RC Qualifier
    That is not too bad, I have a fan to put on the motor so it will run a little cooler. They must heat up more with lipos. From the pictures they look fairly water tight so I may be able to run it in the snow. What gearing were you running? How fast did it go? And could you easily do rolling wheelies? What speed control were you using?

Thanks for all the info so far this is really helping me out.

RC Champion
    I never run fans and it was still ok. I never ran my Feigao with lipos so I can't comment on that. Running in the snow would be ok, but I wouldn't unless everything was sealed (wire exit holes, bearings). Gearing was 40/15 (IIRC) with the tranny locked into 2nd and using wide-ratio gearset. Speed was about 30-35mph. Wheelies were easy, but to gain better control, I increased punch control to help prevent that. Even then, it still wheelied pretty easily. ESC was a modded Quark 125B.

This was my setup before it was sold: http://scriptasylum.com/bl_conversions/_revo.html

RC Qualifier
    Do you think the motor would work with this esc?

https://www.*********.com/*********/...imple_100A_ESC

I think 100A is a good constant, but was unsure about the 120A Max.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nope, not in a traxxas erevo. That esc has no proportional brakes or reverse, aero esc. If you had a revo conversion with mech brakes, it should be okay though.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Qualifier
    Who needs brakes? I just wanted to know if it would make the motor turn without melting. I would just use it for a little while until I could get an mmm.

well a 10lb car moving at 50mph is not hard to stop at all with no brakes.
    sarcasm...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Indeed. The brakes it does have are on/off brakes basically, so the first time you tried to slow down the driveline would lock up instantly, destroying the slipper, drive shafts and probably wheel hexes, whislt also flipping the truck forwards onto its lid, and performing multiple cartwheels.

Bring a rubbish sack to put whats left of the truck in....
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

not much you can do with it