RC Enthusiast

VXL Slash not that fast

I just bought a new slash and put a vxl in it before even running it. VXL Brushless Motor and Speed Control. I have read about people being able to pull wheelies at will but I am not getting this kind of performance. My Slash is kind of fast but nothing crazy, and not quite as fast as a nitro would be like my Revo. I have confirmed it is on Profile 1.

Here is the battery I bought: http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=3191

Did I buy the wrong battery? I did not want it to be stupid fast like a 3S, but I was under the impression that 2S would just about be stupid fast. In fact on pavement I can't pull a wheelie. And top speed seems kind of weak, like maybe 35 MPH, sounds like the motor is hardly winding up. Were my expectations out of line, does my battery suck, anybody know?

Edit I realize I am new here (long time lurker) but I have a lifetime of rc car experience starting with the Frog, then RC10, etc etc most recently the Revo 3.3, Mugen MST-1, RC18R, and others.

And another edit lol... I used the same pinion gear that came on the stock motor.
    Last edited by yachtjim; 10-15-2008 at 09:09 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by yachtjim
    I just bought a new slash and put a vxl in it before even running it. VXL Brushless Motor and Speed Control. I have read about people being able to pull wheelies at will but I am not getting this kind of performance. My Slash is kind of fast but nothing crazy, and not quite as fast as a nitro would be like my Revo. I have confirmed it is on Profile 1.

Here is the battery I bought: http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=3191

Did I buy the wrong battery? I did not want it to be stupid fast like a 3S, but I was under the impression that 2S would just about be stupid fast. In fact on pavement I can't pull a wheelie. And top speed seems kind of weak, like maybe 35 MPH, sounds like the motor is hardly winding up. Were my expectations out of line, does my battery suck, anybody know?
    Mine wheelies with a seven cell
    3905 EMaxx 6.5 HVMAXX

5805 Slash VXl

RC Racer
    i dont know much about those batts but i would say if u want lipo get a spc. i have the vxl with there 3s 5000mah and its great. i have seen one of there 2s in a vxl rustler and it was in the mid to high 40`s

I was getting ready to post an identical thread.Just put my spare vxl motor and esc in mine now that the race season is over.I ran it with my 7cell Venom(I know it's a junk battery) and also with my SPC 6cell race pack.I immediately thought something was wrong.It doesn't even spin the tires on pavement under a full throttle launch.Also,if I try to go slow,it cogs really bad.The motor,esc,and battery all work great in my other stadium truck,but it leaves alot to be desired in the Slash.I will say that it's considerably faster than the stock xl-5/titan,but I'm not very impressed with it

RC Enthusiast
    so maybe I need a 3S lipo to make her eat like I expected?

RC Champion
    but keep in mind that its only a 3200mah pack, if you went in the 4-5000 range im pretty sure your get some more power
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

Any of you guys having cogging issues with nimh?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SLASHPEDE
    but keep in mind that its only a 3200mah pack, if you went in the 4-5000 range im pretty sure your get some more power
    that has nothing to do with it. that just gives you longer runtimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Truck
    I agree with that theory,but with a quality pack you may see a slight power increase with higher capacity packs.Kinda the same as having a 3300mah 6cell and a 3300mah 7cell.I sometimes notice a slightly longer run time with the 7cell even though they are the same capacity cells.

RC Enthusiast
    I am going to be running on random dirt (not a groomed track) so I am not too concerned about wheelies, and its practically impossible to keep the rear tires hooked up as it is, so I am 100% in love with this truck from a FUN standpoint. But...... I would like to be able to get on pavement and pull a wheelie since thats pretty cool, so can anybody confirm if I will get this performance with 3S and VXL. Does anybody get this now with 2S and VXL?

Edited for language.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-17-2008 at 06:32 AM.

Whats your gearing? Did you calibrate it to your radio? How loose is your slipper.Basic ?'s,but I'm unsure of your knowledge Those Hyperion should be fine.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    Mine wheelies with a 7 cell 4600 trinity, almost as fast as my eRevo with Novak 5.5
    EREVOs, Slashes, 1/16 Slash, EMAXX, VXL Villain

RC Racer
    Im running a crappy 5000 venom 7 cell to it hauls balls. I think your having an issue
    3905 EMaxx 6.5 HVMAXX

5805 Slash VXl

RC Qualifier
    is it in training mode?
    L.U. 189
    VXL Rustler
    ERBE

RC Qualifier

Edit I realize I am new here (long time lurker) but I have a lifetime of rc car experience starting with the Frog, then RC10, etc etc most recently the Revo 3.3, Mugen MST-1, RC18R, and others.

And another edit lol... I used the same pinion gear that came on the stock motor.

With an 18t/86t combo and a maxamps 7.4 8000mah lipo will rarely lift the tires. If I put the 3s of the same type in I can wheelie at will. The 3s is so fast that the body starts shaking and rapidly makes the truck become unstable.

I like the 2s best. It is the perfect center point between slow and stupidly fast. Fast enough and perfectly controllable.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Truck
    watts = amps x volts
    watts = (Ah x C-rating) x volts
    With the same voltage and the same C-rating, the available watts will definitely be increased with a larger-capacity (Ah) battery. 3200 mAh is too small. I can tell the difference between my 6K and my 8K LiPos of the same brand, voltage, and C-rating.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    The pack you bought is an excellent pack for the size that it is. However it is not the right pack for a high performance slash. If you want more power, longer runtimes and slightly faster speeds get a 5-8Ah 2s pack and gear up a little. If you want the crazy speeds for street running then get 3s pack.

I run a 3700mah pack and my slash will not wheelie on asphalt either... it will spin both tires at most any speed though and using full throttle is almost impossible to control. It's an evo25 4s FP pack pushing a MM and VXL which is a pretty wicked combination.
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]

RC Qualifier
    wheelies on a Slash?!?!! mine is pretty fast with a 7 cell and geared 23/83 , you guys must be running small pinions to get it to wheelie right??
    ERBE - 8ight T/E - Kyosho Inferno

RC Enthusiast
    I can make my slash Wheely all day long on 86/26 gearing.

RC Qualifier
    running lipo though rite ?
    ERBE - 8ight T/E - Kyosho Inferno

RC Qualifier
    i cant wheely also im using 7-cell 3000 14/86 should i be able to?

Gear up, I run 23/90 on 3s. That is a very good battery, I run Hyperions also (3s 5000ma) You need a tight slipper and good traction for wheelies...

RC Enthusiast
    maxamps 11.1 8000 23/90 will flip over if full throttle @ 45mph
    RUSTLER VXL SLASH 11.1 8000HV TOO MUCH FUN

RC Champion
    so maybe I need a 3S lipo to make her eat like I expected?
    Not all surfaces are created equal.

RC poster
    I had the same issue with my new VXL Slash 2WD. It came out of the box SLOW. My buddies brushed systems smoked my bone stock brushless Slash. Something was wrong and I finally figured out what it was.

The Clutch

It was so loose that it never fully engaged. I adjusted it and now the thing is a BEAST!!!! On a 2 cell 5200mah it now has twice the speed it came out of the box with. It will wheelie with the 2 cell and geared with a 26/86 gearing. I don't have to put a 3cell in it to get it to perform. If you are not happy with the speed of your stock VXL equipped Traxxas Slash 2WD truck you should check the clutch free play. I bet yours is having the same problem mine had. Being loose never allows the truck to accelerate or hit top speeds as it should. I adjusted mine to full tight then 1/2 turn out. It may be too tight but it is too fun as is.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Truck View Post
    eh.... it kinda comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    watts = amps x volts
    With the same voltage and the same C-rating, the available watts will definitely be increased with a larger-capacity (Ah) battery. 3200 mAh is too small. I can tell the difference between my 6K and my 8K LiPos of the same brand, voltage, and C-rating.
    But not like this. Ksb is implying a larger lipo with higher potential amps will cause the truck to go faster. Thats not true at all, the battery doesn't push the amps, in a perfect world a various 2s lipo regardless of size would perform the same.

Of course thats not how the real world works. In reality we have voltage sag, when you hit the throttle the voltage dips, lower voltage makes for lower speed, and larger packs tend to sag less... thus big packs are usually faster, but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    I had the same issue with my new VXL Slash 2WD. It came out of the box SLOW. My buddies brushed systems smoked my bone stock brushless Slash. Something was wrong and I finally figured out what it was.

The Clutch

Word. This is usually the culprit for those looking for wheelies. Also don't be shy about gearing up that VXL.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    eh....
    But not like this. Ksb is implying a larger lipo with higher potential amps will cause the truck to go faster. Thats not true at all, the battery doesn't push the amps, in a perfect world (your perfect world would be ignoring the laws of physiscs) a various 2s lipo regardless of size would perform the same.

Of course thats not how the real world works. In reality we have voltage sag, when you hit the throttle the voltage dips, lower voltage makes for lower speed, and larger packs tend to sag less... thus big packs are usually faster, but not by much.
    So you are saying my conclusion was correct, but my identification of the cause was faulty? I'll agree with you there. I was new to LiPos and was running Maxamps packs at the time.
    I'm rather unhappy you brought up that post of mine. And since I detest the "angry" emoticon - Grrr! Okay... I'm over it now.

Did we really need to bring a 3+ year old thread back to life?

RC Qualifier
    i did the brushless conversion and at the time only had a regular old 7.2v battery to try out...same thing my nephew uses in his 12T slash... it was super slow...like uber slow lol. my nephew 12T would murder it...I thought something was broken until I tried a 3S and now I can hardly drive it straight its so dang fast its unbelievable I love it!

I got a chance to get (2) 2s batteries after work tonight and I'm almost considering passing on them after reading this. I have two 4000mah 3s now and I think I will just stick with 3s from here on out... until I see a fast 2s running vxl3s I will stik to 3s
    'Life is for living, not living uptight'

RC Champion
    I didn't see anyone bring this up but by chance are you sure you have your ESC in 100% throttle mode? Maybe it is set in 'Training mode' and you are only getting 50% power? Just another one of those basics that can mess you up

Have fun!

RC Qualifier
    did any of you noticed that this topic started in "october 2008 "
    some people you are quoting and revering to may be haven`t been reading this ?
    franz
    greetings from holland
    www.rcm-alkmaar.nl

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Did we really need to bring a 3+ year old thread back to life?
    hey don't shoot the messenger! I'm happy you've got a sense of humor.

But....

You identified watts as volts x amps, so far so good.

But then you say amps are capacity x C rating of the battery.

Thats where you went off course. Amps are actually volts devided by resistance... Assuming 2 different 2s batteries are at the same volts, doubling the capacity of one won't double the amps drawn.

From the data logs I've seen, a typical draw on a VXL Slash is around 70 amps. When I throw my ****'s in the truck, it doesn't pull 6.000x50= 300 amps.

But if the volts don't sag as much, then the equation volts/resistance goes up a little.....

So yes, I agree a bigger battery might be a touch faster, but the way you described it, double the battery gives double the watts.... which isn't true at all!

RC Champion
    It seems that some peoples' wheely like nuts and othrs dont.. You will want a 3s lipo and stock Gearing is fine make sure you have good traction and iu might have to lock down your slipper clutch if you want to wheely realy bad
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    hey don't shoot the messenger! I'm happy you've got a sense of humor.

But....

You identified watts as volts x amps, so far so good.

But then you say amps are capacity x C rating of the battery.

Thats where you went off course. Amps are actually volts devided by resistance... Assuming 2 different 2s batteries are at the same volts, doubling the capacity of one won't double the amps drawn.

From the data logs I've seen, a typical draw on a VXL Slash is around 70 amps. When I throw my ****'s in the truck, it doesn't pull 6.000x50= 300 amps.

But if the volts don't sag as much, then the equation volts/resistance goes up a little.....

So yes, I agree a bigger battery might be a touch faster, but the way you described it, double the battery gives double the watts.... which isn't true at all!
    I could argue with you but to be honest I have no idea exactly what I was getting at and since you are posting some good info I'm .

RC Racer
    1. Check to see you're not in training mode (manual)
    2. Recalibrate your ESC (manual)
    3. See if you can borrow someone's battery pack...maybe your LHS will be nice enough to assist with that

Could be your ESC, may need to send it in to get fixed. I had simliar issue with it not going fast and it was night and day when I got it fixed.

Repack the diff with thick grease like bad horsie diff grease and you'll put more power to the ground. You may be spinning one tire while the other is not getting power due to the stock setup. Of course the OP may have figured it out by now.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...