RC poster

E-revo 2 motor problem?

Hi all!

Got my E-revo 2 a few weeks ago, and I absolutely love it!

However on my second run it lost most of it's power, started to sound strange and there was a smell. Opened up the gear cover to see the spur gear was quite messed up. So I ordered a new one and replaced it and took it outside for a test run today, but there's still some kind of problem.

It has very little power, still sounds strange, the motor got very hot and there a smell...

Some more details...
    - When the motor is not connected the spur gear, it's possible to turn the spur gear and the wheels are turning. So feels like the gears and differencial are working fine.
    - with the motor in place and connected to the spur gear it's not possible to move the car. Don't remember, but I think that should be possible?
    - tried to run the motor without it connected to the spur gear, and I think it sounds a bit weird and I also think it smells a bit.

Do you think my motor is broken? Feels like a pretty common problem after reading in this forum... Or what else can be the problem? Any advise would be very much appreciated!

Unfortunately I don't have any receipt for it since I got the car as a gift, so can't bring it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it...

RC Champion
    Yep....motor is toast. Sounds like the rotor inside is gone. Were you monitoring temps and what kinda of temps were you seeing prior to this issue? If under warranty, reach out to Traxxas for replacement. Hopefully since you dont have the receipt you registered it on their site...if not...reach out to who got it for you for a copy of the receipt for the warranty.
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

RC poster
    Oh, it's that bad... No, I didn't check the temperature. The car is brand new so not sure what's normal temperature is like either.

The manual says the motor has the article number 3481, but can't find any motor with that number anywhere except on ebay. When I look at the traxxas website there is one with the number 3376, is that the same?

RC Competitor
    Yes, as Rick says above, it definitely sounds like the motor is toast. I had a very similar issue with mine after about 5 or 6 times running the truck. The motor basically locked up whilst running which stripped the spur gear. Initially I thought that was the problem so waited two weeks to get a new spur gear from the US only to find that after fitting I couldn’t roll the truck freely. My local hobby store did take my motor back and sent it to Traxxas for me and 2 - 3 weeks later I got a “new” reconditioned motor, not sure if it was my original one or just any reconditioned motor they sent back. Anyway as I couldn’t wait that long I dropped in a Hobbywings 4274 motor which fits straight in for a direct replacement, was not too expensive and runs a treat. The truck sounds smoother now, not sure if that is my imagination but it does sound slightly different and I’m sure it is smoother. So now I have a spare motor in case I need.

Cheers,
    Delirious.

RC poster

Quote Originally Posted by jknut View Post
    Yes, that is about as close to the stock motor spec wise as you can get. If you think you might of toasted your stock motor from heat, I recommend either running some fans or going with a lower kv like this one.
    https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-40...ter-truck.html
    Maybe in the 2000kv, or if you really want some insurance the 1700kv.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickruger; 09-08-2019 at 11:56 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jknut View Post
    Yes that is the one I got. It was a little fiddly to line the pinion and spur gear up properly as the motor shaft seems a little bit shorter than the stock one but using a tip from Nickrugger above I used some washers to space the motor back a little further from the front brace allowing the pinion and spur to line up better.

Cheers,
    Delirious.

RC poster
    Thanks! I'll let you know how things turn out.