RC Enthusiast

Are the Summit Plastic Gears Brushless Ready or Not?

So the E-Revo tranny is brushless ready and metal. This one is plastic. Maybe it is not brushless ready. Traxxas?

RC Champion
    erevo tranny isnt metal,
    ☻/ |
    /▌ |
    / \ |

RC Qualifier
    im pretty sure there steel dude all they talk about is the drive line
    huked awn fonics werkeded 4 mee

RC Champion
    a revo 3.3's tranny is plastic and it can take a picco .28
    Racehorse duct taped to a scud missile fast.

RC Qualifier
    E-Revo's tranny is metal geared. I just looked at Traxxas Parts list for the transmision.
    Stampede
    Started life as XL-1 then XL-5 now a VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mac8175
    a revo 3.3's tranny is plastic and it can take a picco .28
    Lol. I know thats ment to sound impressive, but compared to even mid-range BL, it aint.
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

RC Champion
    Subscribed
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Champion
    i didn't know the summit had plastic gears ...?
    "As you think, so shall you become." -Bruce Lee

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bentz2151
    im pretty sure they're steel dude all they talk about is the drive line
    Quote Originally Posted by Only Electric
    E-Revo's tranny is metal geared. I just looked at Traxxas Parts list for the transmision.
    The output gear (3984X) is not metal. It is black plastic. See black nylon construction.

RC Champion
    Is this what you are looking for ?
    the 20T steel idler gear also fit the E-Revo
    I canīt wait to see the PDF drawings for the Summit
    Traxxas Idler Gear 20T/Idler Gear Shaft E-Maxx
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Racer
    tower hobbies sais it is brushless ready see.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXWEN9**&P=SM

RC Champion
    Transmission: Brushless ready two speed with metal center idler gear
    available, remote shifting high-low design with ultra low high-
    torque 75:1 first gear and faster 25:1 second gear
    The idler gear is metal , maybe not the same part no. as the E-Revo and E-Maxx
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Qualifier
    well i just hope they dont strip on me
    huked awn fonics werkeded 4 mee

There are a couple steel gears in the transmission of the E-Revo. Even with the two speed version and a Castle/Neu combo on 6s, you are not likely at all to strip an internal gear.

RC Qualifier
    ok,i will try on 4s me whit 2000kv or 1600kv,i want more torque that speed!!

RC Qualifier
    Opps, I guess I missed that plastic gear. I shoud of looked at this pic. more. http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ils/tranny.jpg The diff is all metal so Zinno is right, the gears should be fine. The torque that strips out stampedes tranny's is a lot more direct than the E-Revo's.
    Stampede
    Started life as XL-1 then XL-5 now a VXL

RC Champion
    Summit Tranny (Note the bigger 1st gear)

2 Speed for the E-Revo 5608 and E-Maxx 3905

Compared to the 3906 2-Speed tranny

This is the Output Gear 33T for the Traxxas E-Maxx 3905 and the E-Revo 5605
    FEATURES: Black nylon construction
    INCLUDES: One 33T output gear Two spacers

Last edited by SnoopMaxx; 10-24-2008 at 03:07 PM.
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Champion
    Okay, but what is the official word from Traxxas? Is the Summit brushless ready or not?
    Has anything intelligent ever followed the word "dude"?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by N80
    Okay, but what is the official word from Traxxas? Is the Summit brushless ready or not?
    Go look at post #14, it was by a traxxas employee. He said the 2 speed version (summit) is not going to strip even with brushless and 6S.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Champion
    Well, there is more to the Summit than the internal gears right? I asked if the Summit is capable of handling brushless..officially...not just the tranny. There's those locking diffs you know.
    Has anything intelligent ever followed the word "dude"?

RC Champion
    In my opinion its fine to run a brushless on the summit. if you'v ever opened up the tranny of a T-Maxx all the gears are plastic and thats a nitro. what makes the plastic gears tough is the giant teeth on the gears. I think a brushless summet would be the coolest truck in the world.

RC Qualifier
    So confused.... why are ppl comparing brushless motors with nitro? The torque from an electric motor blows a nitro motor out of the water. If it survives brushless it will survive nitro not the other way around.

Here's a little (big) example. You know those giant Earth Mover dump trucks they use in open pit mining, etc? They run a big diesel generator which in turn runs DC motors which DIRECTLY turn the wheels - no gear reduction. This is because of the incredible torque produced by these electric motors.
    ......would it ever stop raining so I can go play!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ^^^That is an awesome example.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FricFrac
    So confused.... why are ppl comparing brushless motors with nitro? The torque from an electric motor blows a nitro motor out of the water. If it survives brushless it will survive nitro not the other way around.

Here's a little (big) example. You know those giant Earth Mover dump trucks they use in open pit mining, etc? They run a big diesel generator which in turn runs DC motors which DIRECTLY turn the wheels - no gear reduction. This is because of the incredible torque produced by these electric motors.
    brushless has tq from rpm 1 on up but when a nitro big block gets going the tq and hp will be more than a brushless and more reliable.
    My T-maxx eats nitro and poops Savages
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrx794
    brushless has tq from rpm 1 on up but when a nitro big block gets going the tq and hp will be more than a brushless and more reliable.
    Which brushless motor and nitro big block are you comparing, and will you please provide the proof to your claim?

We would also love to hear how they are more reliable.

Thanks.
    Save 10% of the money you make..... you'll never regret it.

RC Qualifier
    Its the initial torque of the motors that can kill the gears. Once it gets going, its easy to keep turning the gears even with a lot of torque and hp. Nitros even have a clutch assmebly which keeps the gears even happier.

Even the biggest big block cant touch the torque of a brushless motor at any rpm. I've raced nitro trucks and it just takes them tooo long to hit the sweet spot for hp and torque. The only reason they are competitive is because you just cant plant the shear power of a good brushless setup.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hemiblas
    Its the initial torque of the motors that can kill the gears. Once it gets going, its easy to keep turning the gears even with a lot of torque and hp.
    Torque is Torque. If you have 20 ft*lbs of torque at 10 rpm and 20 ft*lbs at 100 rpm you have the same potetial for breaking gears since the torque is all that matters.

Theoretically a brushless motor can provide an infinete amount of torque. Torque is directlly related to the current. Therefore if you can supply an infinete current then you will have an infinete amount of torque even at an rpm of 0. Although inductance and resistance will also facter in to the non-linarity, the extremity is true.

Any ICE will relly on a slipper clutch of some sort in order to transmit the torque at lower rpms. And if you keep slipping the clutch in this mannor if will fail very quicklly.
    Fuel Cell Power!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by homerjar
    Torque is Torque. If you have 20 ft*lbs of torque at 10 rpm and 20 ft*lbs at 100 rpm you have the same potetial for breaking gears since the torque is all that matters.
    Technically that is correct but is not applicable to the conditions that RC's or most any land vehicle will be operated under.

Gears break when their resistance to rotating is highest which is when going from a stand still to initial rotation under hard acceleration. Once in motion their resistance to rotation is greatly reduced and require less torque for additional acceleration then was required initially. (Newtons 1st and 2nd laws of motion)

So a motor that only produces high torque at high RPM's would only have the same potential for breaking gears if you were able to create the same amount of resistance to gear rotation when that motor was already at high RPM. Such conditions that come to mind are being at a stand still and being able to free rev the motor up to the RPM range were torque is highest and then releasing a clutch to provide instant engagement. Even when doing this the amount of time that the motor could maintain that amount of torque would be very short due to (most likely) the reduction of RPM's during initial acceleration.

So while the two motors may have the same potential for gear destruction, only one of them is likely to actually live up to that potential in real life.
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Just go Play
    Technically that is correct but is not applicable to the conditions that RC's or most any land vehicle will be operated under.

Gears break when their resistance to rotating is highest which is when going from a stand still to initial rotation under hard acceleration. Once in motion their resistance to rotation is greatly reduced and require less torque for additional acceleration then was required initially. (Newtons 1st and 2nd laws of motion)

So a motor that only produces high torque at high RPM's would only have the same potential for breaking gears if you were able to create the same amount of resistance to gear rotation when that motor was already at high RPM. Such conditions that come to mind are being at a stand still and being able to free rev the motor up to the RPM range were torque is highest and then releasing a clutch to provide instant engagement. Even when doing this the amount of time that the motor could maintain that amount of torque would be very short due to (most likely) the reduction of RPM's during initial acceleration.

So while the two motors may have the same potential for gear destruction, only one of them is likely to actually live up to that potential in real life.

Well said sir. Well said. I did not imagine ever seeing Newton's laws getting quoted on here, but I also did not ever expect to be talking about voltage drops under load or internal resistance and impedance any place other than work. Kinda cool I guess really, just shows that smart people also drive $1000 toys.

Lets face it, when some asks you how much it costs, and you know your around $700 or more, you really don't bother to tell them as they just look at you like your insane, and just say something indirect like "More than I thought" or "Enough" or "I don't even know anymore."
    I don't have a witty signature.

RC Enthusiast
    That's just like locomotive engines. I know this bc I work for the railroad