RC Qualifier

put led's on the e-revo

it get dark early by me and its the only time i have to use my e-revo after work so i put headlights and taillights in . tell me what you think. (sorry if a little blury pics are from my phoneoutside led 's are ultra violet inside are just blue

front view

rear view you can barely see it but i have two red led's in the bumper just so i know when the back of the truck is faceing me . no brake lights thow
    Last edited by z-class88; 10-25-2008 at 10:41 AM.

RC Qualifier
    WHOA SWEET!

Now it needs some ground accent lights on the bottom, some new rims... and a sub woofer in the back of the trunk.'

by the way... your REAR TIRES are rotating the wrong way in the last picture LOL
    Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died

RC Champion
    That Looks Sweeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    thats it for the lights no ground accents sorry lol. no sub's either!! i know the tires are switch b/c for some reason they dont wobble when there on that way. lol

RC Champion
    Cool!

Just be careful about overvolting the LEDs. You should always use a resistor to limit the current to ~20mA (0.02A).

If running off 5v or 6v, use one resistor per LED. The value is determined by: (Vbec - vf) / 0.02. "Vf" is the forward voltage drop of the LED and is listed on the package. So, for 5v BEC and an LED with 2.5v Vf, the resistor would be (5v-2.5Vf)/0.02A = 125 ohms (100 ohms is fine). For 6v, the value would be (6v-2.5Vf)/0.02A = 175 ohms (150 is probably the closest you'll get, and is fine because it will run at 23mA and LEDs are ok up to typically 25mA)

If running off higher voltage, you can put a several LEDs in series. Just make sure their combined Vf values are a few volts below the lowest battery voltage. So, for 4s (14.8v) and LEDs with a Vf of 2.5v, you could 5 in series (5X2.5v=12.5v). Then, the value is (14.8v - 12.5Vf)/0.02A = 115 ohms (again 100 ohms is fine).

Probably more than you needed/wanted to know, just thought I'd throw it out there. Your LEDs will last much longer if not pushed too hard...

And as far as subs go, you could do something like this: http://rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6830
    Last edited by BrianG; 10-25-2008 at 11:04 AM.

RC Qualifier
    That looks great I been wanting to do that to my Maxx & E-Revo for a while.
    ~Gage~

RC Qualifier
    Them lights are in the perfect place. if you put them anywhere on the body you risk breaking them if you roll. By putting them on the bumper, 1 it looks really good and 2. you really cant break them off if you roll or anything. Nice work.

And Brian that sub is awesome. nice work there too
    E-revo for sale. PM me for more info.

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the compliment . i like them in the body but like you said they break easily and i also wanted lights when the body isnt on

RC Qualifier
    Excellent idea. Just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration.
    Decided to move my lights to the bumbers similar to your install. Sooo much better than having em on the shell and having to un/plug them every time you take the shell off or put it on.
    Not only that, but the front lights actually point ahead instead of off to the side like they were when mounted in the stock "headlight" locations on the body.

edit: BTW, they aren't necessarily all that vulnerable when mounted to the body. Mine were fine for a few months of bashing, but there are a few reasons you might choose this mounting method over the body method.
    First: like mentioned above, in the stock shell's headlight locations, they end up pointing out to the sides unless you mount em at an angle which would look bad.
    Second: Lower center of gravity(not that a dude with lights on his RC is seriously into racing).
    Third: More durable than mounting to the body. Again, not that I had any durability issues aside from the sires coming unstuck from the inside of the shell(nothing a little silicone didn't help) but the bumbers are even more durable because the LEDs end up nestled in the "goove" of the bumber which protects them from all angles.
    Last edited by J3110; 11-23-2008 at 10:46 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Great job. This is the best setup ive seen

RC Qualifier
    thanks for all The great feed back. I just installed my 700ho and new rims and tires. So I think tonight might be the first time I'll get to try out the lights.
    RX8 E-Revo
    WIDE Rustler VXL