RC Champion

The fastest Slash?

Hey everyone..I'm an ex-emaxx and e-revo owner who likes to go fast....all of my past rides have gone 55mph+, so i want my Slash to do the same...

i bought a vxl system to put in for the time being, and i expect to get around 50 with it...does anyone else have the vxl and how fast are you going?

also, the location of the engine reminds me of the Rustlers i used to have...and there wasnt many brushless motors that would fit..has anyone installed a high-end motor like a Neu or a Pletty in their slash?
    Been there, done that.

RC Racer
    Yea i put a Faigo in a rustler. It is fast but the Faigo motors suck so. I only got it for 40 bucks.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fusebmx13
    Yea i put a Faigo in a rustler. It is fast but the Faigo motors suck so. I only got it for 40 bucks.
    i ran the Feigao 7xl and 8xl..they're ok for the money, but i always had temp issues with them
    Been there, done that.

RC Competitor
    Neu 1515 doesn't even come close to fitting...... LOL..... but the truck should be good for high 50's, low 60's on a good 2S and a 7.7k.....

T.
    Castle, MaxAmps, BigSquidRC, TheToyz, GM Dragsters

RC Racer
    You're going to have airflow issues (as in too much air under the body) and it's going to flip at 45+ so until I work that out I don't know how fast the Slash will run with the VXL, I'm guessing somewhere around 60.

RC Champion
    What batts are you using? Assuming your 55 mph emaxx was BL Lipo'ed, you should go bout 50 on a 2s, and 60-65 on a 3s.

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    How did you cram that in there?
    Get your vote on.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbage_Man
    How did you cram that in there?
    It will fit in the case, but you will be unable to adjust it's position for different gear ratios.

And that Neu looks kinda funny hangin out the back. Now the truck will really be weighted to the back.

RC Qualifier
    I think if you cut the pastic on the transcase you might be able to move it around. I'm curious if the trans is going to survive that. Looks like it will be fun for a little bit atleast..
    Get your vote on.

RC Competitor
    it will not even fit far enough in the case for the output shaft to come through the motor plate....... so there is no way of even bolting it up or putting a pinion on..... LOL..

T.

RC Qualifier
    dang it. I would have loved to have seen that. How about and aftermarket case?
    Get your vote on.

RC Champion
    yeah..same problem as the Rustler..cant fit a Neu in there..i think some of the feigao xl's will fit though- they are the same o.d. as a titan
    Been there, done that.

RC Qualifier
    awesome, cant wait to see this!
    Whacky waiving inflatable arm flailing tube man!!!

RC Qualifier
    Someone on youtube has a Slash running a Mamba Max 7700kv on 3s Lipo. That thing is fast!

I tried a Venom 3S 5400 last weekend in my vxl Slash.Kept the 23/86 gearing I was using for offroad with 6cell nimh.With the body off I managed 50mph with the tires ripping off of the rims.Not the best vehicle to go fast with,but I would imagine that with decent wheels and some gearing changes,I could have gone quite a bit faster with it.Gets extremely unstable around 40!!!

RC Qualifier
    I'm currently running a mamba max / HV6.5 / 4s lipo geared 12/54 for normal street running and up to 19/54 for speed runs. My slash is setup just for street racing so it does not lift quite as bad as the stock body. One day I may get a gps to clock it but it is way faster then it really needs to be.

FWIW: I started out running a VXL setup but it ran hotter then I liked when geared up for speed. Much to my surprise the HV6.5 runs much cooler especially on 4s and the MM does not get hot period.

Pics of my street slash here

I can't wait to see what you turn your slash into Larry. I swear I cannot believe how fun and how much use I get out of my slash compared to the (relatively) small amount of money it cost to build it.
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Just go Play
    I'm currently running a mamba max / HV6.5 / 4s lipo geared 12/54 for normal street running and up to 19/54 for speed runs. My slash is setup just for street racing so it does not lift quite as bad as the stock body. One day I may get a gps to clock it but it is way faster then it really needs to be.

FWIW: I started out running a VXL setup but it ran hotter then I liked when geared up for speed. Much to my surprise the HV6.5 runs much cooler especially on 4s and the MM does not get hot period.

Pics of my street slash here

I can't wait to see what you turn your slash into Larry. I swear I cannot believe how fun and how much use I get out of my slash compared to the (relatively) small amount of money it cost to build it.
    that is one bad momma you got there!...now were talking...

i was just trying out my 3s 6000 maxamps and i had a thought...i could run my Monster max esc on 2- 3s batteries ( 6s) and probably use the Velineon motor since it fits...that should be good for around 80mph!..i would call it "mega-super street slash"
    Been there, done that.

RC Competitor
    ive got mine to 62 with a 2s and 7700kv mamba
    edit: on street with stock tires

RC Champion
    thats fast..was that with the stock body?
    Been there, done that.

RC Qualifier
    it should go 65 depending on the battery.
    RN Racing
    Tmaxx 2.5
    RC8T
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate

RC Competitor
    ya thats with the stock bodyl i really wanna make a mini emaxx with the emaxx body and talon tires tho

btw thats with 10t pinion and 58t jato gears i could peobably gear for faster speed but it keeps the temps down enuff to run a full 5000mah 2c lipo without heat issues on that large of a motor

RC Competitor
    bmxer....... the jato spur is .8 mod pitch...... what brand/pitch pinion are you running??

T.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxer25
    ya thats with the stock bodyl i really wanna make a mini emaxx with the emaxx body and talon tires tho

btw thats with 10t pinion and 58t jato gears i could peobably gear for faster speed but it keeps the temps down enuff to run a full 5000mah 2c lipo without heat issues on that large of a motor

did you just replace the stock spur with the Jato spur and pinion?...was there any mods required?
    Been there, done that.

RC Competitor
    nope no mods at all i like the jato gears better because they are thicker so wont strip as easy ... you wont be able to use the gear cover anymore tho besause the jato gears are bigger but that hasnt been an issue sofar and i run in loose dirt ill get some pics up later

edit: i did have to drill out a hair off the pinion being that it is .8 metric pitch to make it fit on the 7700 but thats only minor
    Last edited by bmxer25; 10-30-2008 at 09:50 AM.

RC Competitor
    what brand pinion??????????

T.

RC Competitor
    32pinion and .8 metric pinion are almost identical i bought http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEW95&P=ML
    with
    http://hobbyshack.com/Traxxas-Spur-G...B000BP63ZU.htm
    no mods required all i did was drill out the pinion just a tad bit to make it fit more smoothly

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dude
    What batts are you using? Assuming your 55 mph emaxx was BL Lipo'ed, you should go bout 50 on a 2s, and 60-65 on a 3s.
    I used 2 maxamps 3s 6000's in series (6s) in both the emaxx and e-revo..fastest i got the emaxx was 63mph and 67mph on the e-revo..the emaxx was way to squirelly after 45, but the e-revo handled like a Ferrari!

I havent run the Slash yet- I will on Saturday after I install the VXL
    Been there, done that.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by larrydino
    did you just replace the stock spur with the Jato spur and pinion?...was there any mods required?
    The 58t spur can be a tight fit and may even rub the drive shafts. The 56 and 54t both fit no problem. E/Tmaxx pinions will work fine with the jato spurs, I don't think I've ever seen a .8m pinion in any of the LHS in my area. If you decide to switch (highly recommended) 12-13t pinions will be good for GP and I easily fit up to 19t w/54t spur for speed runs.
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]