Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.

My Revo Conversion build

Well, I decided to convert my 2.5R revo into brushless. It will be powered by a Neu 1515 1Y and MMM combo. However, while waiting for the motor to arrive (though I can transfer the TeknoRC Neu 1515 1Y from the gmaxx), I decided to start assembling the truck.

Installed the Tekno RC conversion kit:

MMM V3:

The TeknoRC conversion kit elektri-clutch uses a 2-shoe clutch system. I don't want to run this 2-shoe clutch with a 1515 1Y. Instead, I took out the stock clutch and installed my UE 4-shoe clutch from my supermaxx (retired from bashing and racing duties).

TeknoRC elektri-clutch:

Diameter of the flywheel mounting hole (elektir-clutch):

UE 4-shoe mounting hole diameter:

That's only a difference of .02mm.

Continued on next post
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Flywheels side by side:

UE flywheel with the stock clutch nut, elektri-clutch shaft, and collet:

Carbon shoes and .9 springs mounted:

Still plenty of room to access the setscrew:

Complete assembly:

Side by side with the stock:

Final measurement:
    UE 4-shoe clutch, Kyosho 17T narrow CB:

Stock:

I will be grinding the lip on the 4-shoe flywheel tomorrow. The lip itself is about 2mm so after grinding it off, it will be about the same with the stocker. The UE 4-shoe clutch also used the e-clip just like the stock clutch.

My assortment of clutches/flywheels etc next to the assembled 4-shoe elektri-clutch:

Feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Qualifier
    so far so good, cant wait to see more pics as you start getting it all put together. Goodluck
    E-revo for sale. PM me for more info.

RC Champion
    lookin good

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Here are some pictures of the tranny I modified for the brushless revo. I converted the revo 2 speed to a single speed locked in 2nd gear using an adapter plate I bought from Oomp(one of the guys over at traxxas forum).

Single speed adapter plate:

It was designed for the plastic 2nd gear so I have to dremel the RRP 2nd gear to make it fit.

I also drilled the shaft to 2.5mm so I can use a bigger pin(stub axle pin) for added strength:

Side by side with stock RRP:

Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Champion
    Nice job, I must admit though I love the elektri-clutch on my 8ight-e buggy, but my elektri-clutch snapped with only a few hours of use on my truggy so I tossed on the long shank pinions. Truggies and similar trucks (erevo) etc soooooo much better w/ pinions, TONS more responsive! I will never use a clutch in a larger truck again, you don't need a clutch it's not like you will stall out LOL. Another note the pads in the bigger trucks wear super fast too so get some spares (if they don't break from high temp). As someone else said, the bonus of a brushless system is instant power, why take away the advantage?

PS I have a erevo I race as well, I use to have the revo 3.3 converted but the chassis didn't hold out for long with batteries smacking down on it while racing and jumping.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'll have to agree with you except with regards to the clutch. Did you use the stock 2-shoe clutch that came with the kit?

I'll see how this 4-shoe clutch will hold up. There is quite a difference between the 2 and 4-shoe clutches especially in longevity and durability.

By the way, i have another brushless truck which uses the pinions so I know how they react.

Thanks for you feedback, stumblin .
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Here's some pictures of the build progress.

Rear extended arms installed:

Suspension installed:

TeknoRC motor mount installed:

1515 1Y/F installed along with the UE 4-shoe clutch and Kyosho 17T narrow clutch bell. The finned version was almost a tight fit. I had to push it in a little bit. I used 4 8mm caphead screws to mount the motor.

I'll be installing the MMM tomorrow night after I finish soldering all the connections. My target is to do the test run this coming weekend.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Qualifier
    Clean as a whistle, sharp as a thistle.

You seem to be missing the little blue dust boots from the pillow balls though..
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

RC Qualifier
    wow, nice build. but why did you put a clutch in? i dont see why you would need one on an electric motor. and then you cant go in reverse...
    E-MAXX F/S
    N RUSTLER F/S
    NTC3 F/S

RC Qualifier
    Good job! I am about to do the same thing to my Platinum revo, and cant wait. Quick question I have 2 MMM's, but what in the heck are those screws that come with it for?
    E-REVO Tekin RX8 2250kv - Revo 1515 1Y MMM 4s/6s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Oracle, I intentionally didn't install the dust boots. They're just in the way .

Sadclown, thanks. I install the UE 4-shoe clutch to see how it's going to hold up. I'm using a pinion on my other brushless so this is my way of learning how a clutch works with a brushless setup. If I don't like it, I'll remover it and install a pinion. It can still go in reverse. If you look at the previous pictures in my original post, you'll see that I removed the one way bearing from the tranny along with the 1st speed gear. The tranny can roll forward or reverse depending on my ESC's setting. I can still go reverse if I want to but it's the first thing I do with all my trucks, remove the reverse capability.

cwallis, thank you. Regarding the screws, to be honest with you, I don't have a clue. I never used them .
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Qualifier
    this is wat i was planning on doin as well, jus gotta find a roller first.
    time for college.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It's fun doing a conversion. I just wish my Neu 2S packs arrived yesterday so I can run this truck this weekend .
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Update. More pictures.

I installed the MMM today. I don't like the TeknoRC mounting position so I fabricated my own mount using 3mm aluminum.

Stock on right side, my creation on the left side:

After it was painted.

The holes line up with the rear shock mounts. I used 25mm spacers and 2 40mm caphead screws to mount it in place.

With industrial velcro:

I also lengthened the MMM switch wire:

My biggest concern. The positive bullet connector is too close or either touching the heat sink. I can't install a heat shrink around it.

The MMM temporarily mounted on the truck. The ESC sits lower now instead of being on top of the tranny.

Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    its a really nice convert.

no worries about the heatshrink, Patrick purposly shorted some MMM's at the factory and it was a non issue. The coat on the metal should prevent a short, but if for some strange reason it wears off, the aluminum heatsink would actually desinigrate before it became an issue.

yeah....i questioned this too, but all the electroheads over on RCM seemed to agree.

so I shrugged it off and figure, if it shorts, it goes back. no harm no foul.

RC Champion
    looooooking awsome!
    ☻/ |
    /▌ |
    / \ |

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hoov, shorting wasn't my main concern. The bullet is not true vertically (leaning toward the heat sink) so when I inserted the male conector, it was pushing the female away from the heat sink. This puts undue stress to the bullet- board connection/solder. It's like pushing the Leaning Tower of Pisa Italy vertically straight.

Thanks rc!!!
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Here's a video on stand. It's running on 3S since I have not received my 2S packs yet. I still have to install the brakes.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Competitor
    thats is a great job...Sweet!!

In the video i know you are testing the motor,but are you going to do the break in that way?

ps..great idea for the stand thnx ..lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks.

What break-in ?

The motor came from my brushless emaxx so it has a lot of hours under its belt. I just installed it on this conversion while waiting for my Medusa 36-70-2000Kv motor to arrive. I'll be running this truck on 4 and 5S. I'm just testing the ESC to make sure it works. This is my 3rd MMM.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Qualifier
    why the syntrifical clutch on an electric motor? is there any way you could get rid of that bc i dont think thats what theyre meant for
    E-Pede/N-Sport 2.5R/Jato
    N-Rusty/N-Sport/MERV

RC Competitor
    ohhh ok my bad..i tought it was a brand new motor...hehe..since everything looks so sharp...noob here thnx for the patience ..lol

Well i guess that's covered...And once again To me its an awesome job!!

oh and i like your plate better it looks a lot stronger...but now , why you didn't use flat allens screws ( flat heads?)>..No big of a deal...just wondering ^-^

RC Qualifier
    Even new motors dont need to be broken in- brushless motors = no brushes- its 100% ready out of the box.

The centrifugal clutch is there to replicate the feeling of a nitro vehicle, and it also reduces any possible cogging (motor can spin without a load on it from 0rpms, then the clutch engages after a few milli-seconds almost basically). You can easily switch it out for a long-shank pinion however. Whatever floats your boat...

RC Competitor
    ohhh...Thnx Oracle...hehe ...you learn something everyday...How about regular electric motors..those you have to break in right??...like the stock one on the E revo.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can break-in the brushed motors if you want to but it's not neccessary.

I used caphead screws because those were the only ones I have which are 40mm .

I might be switching out to a long-shank or regular shank pinion(I'll put spacers between the motor mount). I tried running it on 3S last night but the clutch got heated up to 150*F. But I'll try it with 4 and 5S first and see how it does.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by george16
    Hoov, shorting wasn't my main concern. The bullet is not true vertically (leaning toward the heat sink) so when I inserted the male conector, it was pushing the female away from the heat sink. This puts undue stress to the bullet- board connection/solder. It's like pushing the Leaning Tower of Pisa Italy vertically straight.

Thanks rc!!!
    I misunderstood. I realised after I read it over in RCM. I'd bet a body part that castle would exchange it w/o question tho.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, I was having temp problems on the clutch bell. It was going up to 150*F with the 4-shoe cb probably because it was not engaging right away or the motor is overcoming it. So I reinstalled the stock 2-shoe clutch that came with the TeknoRC conversion but still got the same result. The clutch bell is still heating up after less than a minute of running.

Here some pics:

TeknoRC elektri-clutch installed:

Tried it with 3S and 6S:

Temps:

Setup:

I'm thinking about ditching this elektri-crap for a pinion but I need to find out what's wrong first .

By the way, the clutch bells and shoes were cleaned prior to installation.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Qualifier
    was the top temp pic the alum shoes and bottom the 2-shoe? wat if u used the composite 4-shoe? wat about a 3-shoe setup?

im surprised we dont hav this problem in nitro, the way sum of use run them. im gonna check temps wen run my buggy next (im harder on that, than my others).
    time for college.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The top temp was with the 4-shoe clutch which uses carbon shoes while the lower temp is with the stock 2-shoe carbon clutch. I never used aluminum shoes.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Qualifier
    Have you tried reversing the clutch shoes into the leading posistion- teckno seem to recommend that as it helps the clutch engage quicker, and decreases wear/friction. Worth a shot...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    Have you tried reversing the clutch shoes into the leading posistion- teckno seem to recommend that as it helps the clutch engage quicker, and decreases wear/friction. Worth a shot...
    I'll give it a try. We'll see.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Here's an update of my revo conversion.

I just finished installing my Medusa 36-70-2000 motor on my revo conversion. It's paired with an MMM V3 running on 5S 5000mah neuenergy lipos. Right now, it's the default setting (10%) on the MMM.

Pictures:

Side by side with the Tekno RC Neu 1515 1Y

Connectors soldered

I put some spacer on the mounting plate to move the motor a little bit forward so I can use 2 setscrews on the pinion.

Videos after setting the MMM:

Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Qualifier
    why a madusa rather than a neu? arnt the new motors better for the monster trucks
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Champion
    You exploit your daughter ! And she's very rough with your E-Revo

Nice motor, are you sure the end of the motor won't rub against the rear upper a-arms during a jump ? They look very close in your pics

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Rabbithazen, I already have a Neu motor on my brushles Kyosho ST-RR. The Neu is better in workmanship and quality but also at the expense of higher price. The Medusa's performance is comparable minus the hefty price of a Neu according to the experiences of others who just have them so I'll see it for myself if that's true.

Popoxx, she's very interested in all my trucks so I let her play with it. She used to sit or push around my supermaxx and gmaxx around the house.

By the way, there is a lot of clearance between the suspension arms and the end of the motor.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    george,

every time I see that little girl, i think of monsters inc. Shes a cute kid!

keep us updated on the 70mm medusa BTW! I'd really like to know how it compairs to the neu.
    One thing I dont like about my medusa is how notchy it is compaired to the Tekno neu.
    I run one in my crt.5 with a metal spur and its loud!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    george,

every time I see that little girl, i think of monsters inc. Shes a cute kid!

keep us updated on the 70mm medusa BTW! I'd really like to know how it compairs to the neu.
    One thing I dont like about my medusa is how notchy it is compaired to the Tekno neu.
    I run one in my crt.5 with a metal spur and its loud!

Thanks for the compliments Hoov. I should my wife your reply and she was laughing (she said Thanks, by the way). My daughter is very interested so I bought her a little Tyco truck . She's always the first one around me everytime I do something with any of my trucks.

Anyway, I ran it a little bit last night and I could also comment on the loudness. It's definitely a lot louder than my TeknoRC Neu. Just by rotating it by hand, I could feel the notchiness as the rotor rotates inside the can. I'll have to go to the track this weekend(weather permitting) and see how it runs.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Qualifier
    cool build, i am thinking of doing the same but staying with a neu, but i have a problem beacuse i dont no how to solder, do i have to or is there a way of not soldering it?
    merv and erbe

RC Qualifier
    lol its hard to be apart of this hobby if you dont know how to solder. all you need some time, wire, and plugs you dont care too much about, soldering iron 40watt min, solding wire, possibly some flux if you really want it.

P.S. guarantee your not the only one who had to learn to solder for this hobby. it will probably be and look horrible in the begining... give it time. oh you will also probably want shrink wrap. its handy to prevent those shorts we all love soo much.

so yeah you need to know how to solder.
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast