Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

E-Revo Review from Basher's Perspective

Ok guys. Iíve spent the last several weeks reading pretty much everything on this forum and I have really appreciated everyoneís information. Because of this forum I purchased an E-revo this Saturday morning from Hobbytown USA in Wilsonville, OR (awesome shop to deal with.. ask for Jeff or Evettea they know their RC trucks).

One thing that I never found here was an E-revo review from a ďbasherísĒ perspective, so I thought I would give back in order to hopefully help the next guy like me.

Iíve been in and out of RC cars for about 25 years. Started ďback in the dayĒ with a Tamiya Frogger and then got into a ďBlackfootĒ and then on to the first RC10T. After a few years without, I went Nitro for a year (Savage 25 and a Revo 3.3) and I got sick of that and sold those trucks about 18 months ago. I hated the constant tuning just to have fun, but I loved the performance of the Nitro trucks.

I recently got a couple of RC18Ts for my 7 year old and me to play with and that re-ignited the bug for meÖ (he fried his ESC after a week so I was looking at my options and didnít want to invest another $100 in that thing). My son now has a parts truck as well as a running RC18 and I have the E-Revo.

When I got it home I took the advice of various writers on this forum and did the following mods:

a) Move suspension to the upper settings on the a-arms (kept the stock P2 rockers in there but I drive off-road and the stock setup was too low)
    b) Exchange the way too soft stock springs for the long travel springs that came with the truck. Blue front, silver back. Retainer screws about Ĺ down on both ends.
    c) Took the titans out and replaced the stock 19T pinions with 17T to gear the truck down to where it should be. I have learned about over gearing with the RC18Ts too and I think thatís one reason why people here are frying the Titans so quickly with Lipo or 8.4V NiMh battery packs
    d) Tightened the clutch by about 1/3 turn

I bought a Hyperion 6060i charger (awesome charger in that it can charge all battery types and it has an integrated balancer) with the truck and a couple of duratrax 4600 8.4V 7 cell NiMh battery packs. This charger only charges one battery at a time (I didnít have the extra $100 to get a Hyperion that would charge multiple packs, and I wanted a good charger).

Setting the charger to 4.6V charge rate for my packs and a peak cell detection rate of 3mV means that it takes about 50 minutes per pack to fully charge. Then I get about 25 minutes of run time in the E-Revo.

The first run was continually varying the throttle from 0 to 2/3 or so in my backyard (it was painful!) but I did it to seat the brushes on the motor. Good thing too, as I found out that the factory didnít center my servos when they put the truck together so I had to fix that in order to be able to fully turn left.

The second run was light on the throttle, upto full for brief moments, but at a vacant lot in the adjacent neighborhood to mine that has some gravel, mud, a 4í tall dirt pile and some grass.

The third run was full-on bashing at the same spot.

Well, This truck is AWESOME!! Just want Iíve always wanted!! It doesnít break any land speed records but if youíre wanting to do that buy a Rustler VXLÖ What it does do is accelerate from a standstill to about 20 miles per hour in 3-4 truck lengths. What this means to a basher is that you can LAUNCH off jumps with virtually no run and get serious airtime. You can also wheelie if you can get traction. The truck will drag the tailfin and wheelie as long as you want it to.

It jumps smoothly. At first I was chopping the brakes like I had to on my NitrosÖ and landing on the front end or the top of the car every time. I found that releasing the throttle in the air makes the car fly straight and smooth, with no front end dive. Then if you hit the throttle just as it lands, you can pull nice wheelies.

I would say top speed with this gearing is about 25 miles per hour over dirt. It gets there QUICK. This car can cover more ground than a much faster MT with conventional suspension though, so if you were racing your buddy with a faster truck, youíd still beat him around a track, gravel pit, park, etc. Because of the E-Revoís handling.

After hitting a curb head on, cartwheels, landing on itís nose from 6-7 feet in the air a few times, landing on itís roof, running through puddles and being covered in mud this thing has been great so far (yeah, I know itís only been a few runs but itís been driven).

You can touch the ESC after a run, you can touch the motors (although they are hot) and the batteries are hot but you can hold them in your hand after a run.

Very fun truck and I am glad I purchased it.

In the spring, I will buy some SPC 7 lipos just to try them out. Also, when the motors die at some point Iíll put in a 700HO KD just because I like the idea of a single motor.

I hosed the truck off, then dried it with my air compressor, then used some WD40 on pivot points and itís looking like new again.

Conclusion: If youíre a basher that wants a superior truck, get the E-revo. If youíre a speed freak who likes to do full speed runs on smooth terrain, get something else. If youíre a speed freak with some driving skills who likes to drive off-road (not on a track) get the E-Revo. It doesnít disappoint.

Sorry for the long write-up.

You are very right. You don't hear of people on this forum making write ups of the bash worthiness of the Revo. I am really happy that you like your E-Revo, and I sure hope I enjoy mine (once it is going brushless) as much as you do yours!

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Enthusiast
    I hope you enjoy yours too. It's too wet here in Oregon for me to consider Brushless, but from what I understand if you get the right set-up (novak 5.5 seems to have the best reviews) you'll probably love it!

I'd be interested to read about your thoughts once you get there.

Thanks again,

Dave

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dave77
    Nope, I enjoyed a lot reading your review,maybe cause I bought it 3 weeks ago and I share that kinda of wisdom :-) ..and I also share your idea about loving the top speed that pertains IMO to on road vehicles basically only.

If I understood right you broke in the erevo with a 17T...mhhh does that mean more torque ? To be honest my stock 19T lacks acceleration but to be honest it misses also top speed therefore I also went for a 700HO cause after the third run it seems I have already fried the Titans....I may think about that 17T pinion as well if it helps acceleration against top speed, I just wonder if such set could abruptely raise the motor temperature and reliability..dunno..any feedback ?

Sooner or later you will start to think about a BL maybe also coming under the shape of the BL erevo coming in January but that is only future.

I think it's also a good idea to exchage very soft spring with the ones who come with the pack..I'll give it a try..do you have any picture to show those suspension set you applied into arms ? Softness is maybe too much and I also would like to find a way to lower it a bit cause sometimes it easily reach the end course of stock springs above all when heavy 7 Nimh cells are involved.

cheers

RC Qualifier
    (novak 5.5 seems to have the best reviews)
    + 5 on the novak. I couldn't be happier.

RC Enthusiast

Gearing

Emmeth,

I broke it in using the 17T pinions for exactly the reason you mentioned... I didn't want to fry my Titans. I appreciated your help the other day too, your feedback before helped me shape my plan to buy the E-revo.

The 17T gearing improves acceleration quite a bit, and it supposedly makes the motors run cooler. I can touch the side of the motor after a run with my finger and not get burned, so, I think that is good.

You will lose on top speed though. It's kind of like riding a mountian bike, you know? If you shift into a lower gear you go slower but you can climb hills easier and pull wheelies with less effort right? Same thing here. If you want better acceleration for quick jumps and wheelies and less stress on your motor, you can gear down on your pinion size (that's why Dan at Kershaw says go to 19T as opposed to 20T on the 700HO if you want more acceleration). I am not sure about the 700HO yet but when I get one I'll probably run an 18T on it.

I will go to the sand dunes with my E-Revo and want quick "floating" acceleration so it'll climb the hills. More top speed would be fun but unless you're running around at a park or something I don't know why it's needed. I just like coming upon obsticles and then "punching it" and seeing the car pop up, then over almost everything.

I'll snap a few photos tonight and post them for you tomorrow on the suspension.
    Last edited by dave77; 11-10-2008 at 04:00 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'll be away due to job for 2-3 days but I'll be back asap.

Ironic fate...just after writing the post I spotted a hard paper envelope on the place where mail lays in standby.....it was from USA and contained .....a SHINY 700HO !! Good, but I have to wait few days before fiddling with its break in.....then I'll post my feedback coming straight from 2 burned Titans..always if my ESC didn't fail as well, but I don't think so

RC Qualifier
    Dave77. glad to have read your review. I got my e-revo a couple weeks ago and love it. Just ordered the 700 HO today to be exact. Im not far from where you bought your revo. I bought my single motor plate and gear cover from there... Thanks again for the shock info.

RC Qualifier
    I truly appreciate someone who has taken the time to write an interesting review that the forums have lacked; in addition, the review was well-written and easy to understand, even to a 'newb'.

A+
    My 0-60 mph is faster then your Bugatti Veyron.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    c) Took the titans out and replaced the stock 19T pinions with 17T to gear the truck down to where it should be. I have learned about over gearing with the RC18Ts too and I think that’s one reason why people here are frying the Titans so quickly with Lipo or 8.4V NiMh battery packs

I think most people over look this pointe you make... and become disapointed when their motors giving up the magic smoke...

Good job on your write up..

RC Racer
    We have both been doing this for a long while.

One thing that stands out to me , is the level of sophistication designed into the suspension.

If you really look into how to set the REVO up, it will knock your socks off !!
    Won my first race in 1985...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ
    We have both been doing this for a long while.

One thing that stands out to me , is the level of sophistication designed into the suspension.

If you really look into how to set the REVO up, it will knock your socks off !!
    Agreed! I have been sitting and oggling my E as of late, since I am waiting for money to buy new tires ( I just had to put new tires on my real car ), and I have really been noticing that this truck is a very well designed, and very sophisticated truck. It, in all honesty, makes my Rustler (Xl-5 w/ Mamba Max, etc) look like a relic.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Excellent post. I am a hardcore basher that started with an E-Maxx. After upgrading the entire truck until only the bumpers and the mounts are OE I realized that an E-Revo is what I was really trying to make.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Qualifier
    I agree.

I had my beloved Henry (E-Maxx) for over eight years. I decided it was time for a massive overhaul, or a new vehicle. Of course, the E-Revo was on the short list (actually, it was the only item). It would have cost me about 700 bones to do the overhaul.

Let's just say that Henry is now retired. The end of an era. The E-Revo is perfect for bashing. I took the Feigao 10L and the Quark Monster Pro 125B out of Henry, increased the ride height, put silver springs in the rear (still have the greens in the front), and settled on an 18T pinion. With the Maxamps 8000 2S batteries (also from Henry), I get two 15-minute runs (I use a timer), plus a couple more (depends on how brutal the first two were). It has all of the brutality of a hopped-up E-Maxx, plus all of the speed and agility of my brushless HPI RS4MT (also retired).

Henry is still in a place of glory, though. I cleared off a spot on my highest display shelf (right next to a bunch on sweet die-cast models), and placed him there. I even left the mud and dirt on from his last run.
    Brushless E-Revo, Slash VXL, Mini E-Revo VXL

RC Champion
    Glad you're happy with it. Hope you aren't limiting yourself to just the Hobbytown. You live here so you know we have a ton of shops.

RC Competitor
    Great review have been wrecking my brain trying to make my mind up over the E-MAXX & E-REVO as my girlfriend is getting me one of them for christmas so it looks like i'll be picking up an E-REVO on monday. Not sure the Slash will last out till christmas though! (bashed hard)

RC Enthusiast

pics of the suspension setup

Wow! This is why I wrote the review in the first place. All of you guys are great. Thanks for the feedback. As I promised Emmeth yesterday, I have some photos to share of the suspension. The only probelm is that when I attempted to insert them here it is asking me for a .url ... do you have to put the pics on the net somewhere in order to insert the photos on this forum? You can just upload them like other forums?

Sorry to be a newb on this, but how do you upload pics on this forum?

Slash666, you won't be sorry about the E-revo it is really fun.

Slowenuff, I hear you. I used to live on the other side of town and Tammies in Beaverton is a great shop too. I do like to support local shops as long as they carry the stuff I need because I like to be able to go there at lunch and pick up parts, then go home and get to work... And it's nice to support those in yoru community who share your interests.

RC Champion
    Sorry to be a newb on this, but how do you upload pics on this forum?
    Hello you fellow Oregonians! Glad to see some more on here! I am down in Corvallis, so not too far away! I forsee a Traxxas Forum Members Oregon Bash sometime soon....or when it stops raining in June!

As far as posting pictures, get a photobucket.com account. It workds really nicely! You just load them to the bucket's site, and then when you use the tool to upload, it will just ask for a url and you input the one under your picture on photobucket. There is a tutorial somewhere on this forum that helped me a lot.

Again, good to see some more Oregonians on here! Go Beavers!
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

RC Enthusiast

pics

Thanks to Chachi_RC, here are my pics.

BTW, Chachi_RC weren't you trying to sell your E-revo recently? How come?

Go Ducks!! Civil War will be good this year if Masoli actually shows up to play! Beavs are looking great.

http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/q...10-08_1627.jpg

http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/q...10-08_1628.jpg

http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/q...10-08_1630.jpg

http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/q...10-08_1631.jpg
    Last edited by dave77; 11-11-2008 at 12:10 PM.

RC Competitor
    Good writeup Dave, a lot of helpful info.

b) Exchange the way too soft stock springs for the long travel springs that came with the truck. Blue front, silver back. Retainer screws about Ĺ down on both ends.
    Most run the Blue in the back and Silver up front because the Blue spring is the stiffer spring. I ran this setup for a while and it works great unless you are running in the really really ruff stuff.

Im currently running the Silver in the back and Tan in the front and 50wt oil and it handles the ruff stuff a little better.

I have the P1 rockers from my old 2.5 revo and a may throw them on with the Blue/Silver springs and see what change if any it will make.

RC Champion
    Thanks Dave. Actually, when you go to post a pic, use the “Insert Imagine” button at the top of your message in the “Go Advanced” version. When you click that button, it will bring up a dialog box asking for a url. That is where you will copy and past the url from the picture you want on photobucket. Then, it will actually show the picture in the thread rather than a link to the picture itself.

Yes, I did sell my E-Revo. I already miss it! I sold it in hopes of getting the BL Edition. Sad to do it, but it really is more cost effective to seel it and get the new one, rather than buy a separate MMM Combo and new radio system and add it in. Sold my E really quickly though! I am on the list at my LHS (RC Plus in Salem) for one of the first BL Editions that arrive, as I was on the first E-Revo. I am looking forward to it!

So you are a Duck, huh? Well, I won’t hold that against you! Yeah, the Civil War should be a good one this year! I will root for the Ducks on occasion though, if they are playing the Husky’s or the Trojans!

RC Enthusiast
    Chachi_RC,

I tried that and just go the "Red X box" to display. Not sure if that was just my computer or what.

I really appreciate your help!

I'll look forward to reading about your new brushless monster when you get it!

TLTRyan, Thanks for the tip! I do find the back end dives a bit but I like the way the front end "pops" over obsitcles. I would think that a softer front end would reduce this effect, wouldn't it?

RC Racer
    Dave, thank you for the review. It's amazing - I did exactly the same: same batteries, same Charger, 17t, and all. Just one thing: The Hyperion CAN charge two 7 cell pack at once. all you need is a harness to series the, two packs, and to attach it to a decent power source (I converted an old PC power supply. Lots of good info on tha on the web)

RC Enthusiast
    billyboy, That's awesome!! I'll be looking into that ASAP.

How long have you had your E-Revo and is it still holing up well for you? (Titans still or are you on to something else).

Thanks again! I appreciate all on this forum, for sure!

RC Qualifier
    We Need STICKY!
    E-Maxx 3905 w Novak 6.5/ VXL Rusty/VXL pede/ slash

RC Racer
    Oops... I have just noticed my charger is eos610i. sorry :-(
    as for the titans - I am still running stock. its a few months now (about 50 runs). They still kick. Buying these 17t pinions was a good investment. Not the best racer in the neighborhood, still very enjoyable.

RC Enthusiast
    No worries billyboy, but thanks for the retraction on the charger. I was looking around to try and figure out what you were saying and having trouble finding info on line.

As for the E-Revo, I hope mine is also running on the Titans after 50 runs!

It's about having fun to me.

RC Qualifier

a) Move suspension to the upper settings on the a-arms (kept the stock P2 rockers in there but I drive off-road and the stock setup was too low)
    I'm a bit retarded and despiting the description & pictures I still can't understand which is the " upper settings " of an a-arm. Could you please highlight it ?

Could someone plz post a correspondence list or a link that shows relationship between colors and stiffness ?

c) Took the titans out and replaced the stock 19T pinions with 17T to gear the truck down to where it should be. I have learned about over gearing with the RC18Ts too and I think thatís one reason why people here are frying the Titans so quickly with Lipo or 8.4V NiMh battery packs

Again my ignorance surfaces.... if the 18T is supposed to cause overheat why does the 17T should be reliable even if it has 1T less than 18T ?

d) Tightened the clutch by about 1/3 turn

Is it also worth to use an hard duty clutch spring or is it necessary only when BL and powerful lipos are involved ?

thanks !

RC Enthusiast

UPDATE - 7 RUNS on TITANS

Well guys, I have read all about people using 17T, 18T, 19T and 20T pinions on their Titans.

Now, after 7 runs (and the first two shouldn't count since I was barely driving the truck) I can say with all certainty that: If you plan to buy an E-Revo you either need to order a 700HO KD motor or buy brushless from the start. (I still like brushed because I like to drive when it's wet too).

Picture this: It's been raining here this week and I've been going to a local park to have lunch. I noticed the other day that there was a huge gravel pile as well as some dirt jumps that someone had made there. Today it's clear and about 60 degrees outside, beautiful weather. I charged the batteries last night and loaded the E-Revo in the car this morning ready to have an "epic" time at this park during my lunch hour...

I plugged in, turned it on and blasted up the face of the gravel hill after driving for about 40 feet slowly.. ahhh, what a great sight I couldn't wait to spin around and come back for another pass along with a fantastic liftoff... but wait... why is my truck going so slowly.... what's that smell... what's that SMOKE.... Oh noooooooooo!!!!!!

I removed quickly disconnected the batteries and found the forward drive Titan was billowing nasty smelling smoke. I disconnected. BOTH MOTORS ARE TOAST. Evx2 is fine, steering still works.

I guess I'm out of commission for a week or so until I get a better motor. I still love driving this truck, but, this stinks!! Literally!!

Emmeth: The suspension chart can be found in the manual of your truck. In my photos, the rear suspension is labeled "1630" and the front is "1628" I hope this helps you.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmeth
    Could someone plz post a correspondence list or a link that shows relationship between colors and stiffness ?
    http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ccessories.htm

Part #5435 Spring, shock (GTR) (2.6 rate yellow)
    Suggested retail price $6.00

Part #5436 Spring, shock (GTR) (2.9 rate white) (std. front 90mm)

Part # 5437 Spring, shock (GTR) (3.2 rate orange)

Part #5438 Spring, shock (GTR) (3.5 rate green) (std. rear 90mm)

Part #5439 Spring, shock (GTR) (3.8 rate gold)

Part #5440 Spring, shock (GTR) (4.1 rate tan)

Part #5441 Spring, shock (GTR) (4.4 rate black)

Part #5442 Spring, shock (GTR) (4.9 rate silver) (std. front 120mm)

Part #5443 Spring, shock (GTR) (5.4 rate pink)

Part #5444 Spring, shock (GTR) (5.9 rate blue) (std. rear 120mm)

Part #5445 Spring, shock (GTR) (6.4 rate purple)
    E-Revo,700HO/Novak5.5,5Ah LiPos
    Baja 5B SS
    MERV

RC Racer
    Dave
    Sorry to hear about your toasted Titans. Bad luck, I guess.Not that it would have helped for this time, but I suggest that for your next motor - maybe you should put 25 $ on an infrared Temp meter. It's worth the money...

RC poster
    Well guys, I have read all about people using 17T, 18T, 19T and 20T pinions on their Titans.

I plugged in, turned it on and blasted up the face of the gravel hill after driving for about 40 feet slowly.. ahhh, what a great sight I couldn't wait to spin around and come back for another pass along with a fantastic liftoff... but wait... why is my truck going so slowly.... what's that smell... what's that SMOKE.... Oh noooooooooo!!!!!!

I removed quickly disconnected the batteries and found the forward drive
    So you were running the 17T pinions and still fried the motors? That really sucks, looks like no matter what precautions you take be it breaking in/gearing, most Titans fail prematurely. Thx for the heads up, I just about bought the 17T pinions but thought why bother I have a 700HO on the way anyways. Sorry about your loss.

Just another heads up, I was breaking in my Titans the other day, the reverse rotation motor was as smooth as silk, while the forward rotation motor seemed rough depending on how you held the motor. I suspect I won't see much life out of that motor...just have to wait and see.

RC Qualifier

Thank you, higher numbers mean higher stiffness ?? I mean is 6.4 rate more stiff than 2.6 right ?

I have also FRIED my Titans after 3 runs and I still have to check the ESC out.......

I also went for a 700HO and I still have to try it.

It seems Traxxas should avoid to sell Erevos with motors, cutting 50$ from the retail price IMO.

RC Champion
    That was an excellent review. now the only reason im holding back on the E Revo is to hear a review of the Summit and how it compares to the E Revo.
    "As you think, so shall you become." -Bruce Lee

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thank you, higher numbers mean higher stiffness ?? I mean is 6.4 rate more stiff than 2.6 right ?
    yes.

I normally recommend that people pick up a tan set of springs for the e-revo. that way you have every other spring in the collection. it comes with white and green installed with silver and blue in the box. So you get tan and you have a great variety of springs to mess around with.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    yes.

I normally recommend that people pick up a tan set of springs for the e-revo. that way you have every other spring in the collection. it comes with white and green installed with silver and blue in the box. So you get tan and you have a great variety of springs to mess around with.

My stock erevo mounts white labeled springs on front and blue labeled springs on rear and I have in the extra bag a couple of silver and blue again. This doesn't match with what Traxxas is supposed to plug or am I missing anything ?

thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    hmm.... mine were white and green....with silver and blue in the bag.

weird that they would give you two blue sets.

maybe they changed something?

dont know.

RC Enthusiast
    Guys,

Sorry I've been MIA for a few days. Flu bug.

Thanks Slider78.... yes, the blue smoke of death as I like to call it did hit my Titans for sure. Awful smell and when I removed them there was black soot all over my chassis that had come through the motor vent holes. I really tried to break them in gently too.

I now have a 700HO motor on the way and am looking forward to installing it. For what it's worth to all, I did e-mail Traxxas about my motors. I mentioned that I am not interested in the stock setup again and asked if they'd be willing to send me a 775 as a replacement. I got a quick reply. Here's an Excerpt

"I am sure they can recommend some motors that they are happy with on the forums. The 775 motor is slower than the stock motor and the EVX-2 can only handle one of them.

You are certainly welcome to send the motors to us for replacement."

Not interested in replacement Titans. That's a waste of postage and time in my opinion. I'll post an update with performance on the 700HO in a week or so after I've had a chance to run it at least a few times.

RC Qualifier
    Exactly the same here, I simoultaneously fried both my titans and it also came out they have also lost some pieces during unmounting procedures....

I replaced the bad stuff with a single 700HO and I'm gonna tune the machine in order to dial with it. I also gave up about the warranty sending from Europe to US and return the Titans but I would have appreciated a 40$ refund instead, cause I think 80 % of customers titans die within few hours.............they should have called them Titanics instead

C'mon Traxxas do something

thanks

RC Champion
    C'mon Traxxas do something
    thanks
    They did. It is called the E-Revo Brushless Edition, or the Castle MMM/Neu Combo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast