Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Charging and Balancing 2*2S Lipos Together

I have found this item on IMPAKTRC:

Does anyone know if I can Charge and balance two of my 2S Lipos together with this? I am not sure because it says in the site that it can balance 3*2S or 2*3S lipo's (and doesnt mention 2*2S).
    Is someone using this Item? (costs 5 $)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billyboy
    I have found this item on IMPAKTRC:

Does anyone know if I can Charge and balance two of my 2S Lipos together with this? I am not sure because it says in the site that it can balance 3*2S or 2*3S lipo's (and doesnt mention 2*2S).
    Is someone using this Item? (costs 5 $)
    I have a similar one, and yes, you will be able to balance two 2s lipos.
    Although I have one, I actually find that that it is easier to use a made up 2x2S -> 4s plug cable, as these don't easily reach into the lipo sack... but ymmv
    Time is an illusion, "9am sharp" doubly so.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    they are made for a chargery balancer;
    http://www.impaktrc.com/product_info...oducts_id=2188

to use them with some random charger, you would still need a series adapter for the main leads, but more importantly, you would need to find a way to connect this board to the charger through a balance lead of sorts.

So far, I have not found a cheap/simple solution to this.
    You can choose to go expensive (hyperion Duo)
    or you can choose to go somewhat complicated (brianG's lipo config)

I chose to go with BrianG's config. http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html
    It works awesome.

I used this chart for dual 2s batteries;

I used this chart for dual 3s batteries;

heres a pic of the dual 3s in use;

it may be ugly, but it works and its cheap.

and I bought EVERYTHING I ever needed to make it work at *********.com

RC Champion
    I've been using lipo's for 3 years and never used a "lipo sack", the charge process is really the only time you can get a fire w/ a lipo so just make sure you get a good charger (hyperion or such) and pay attention when setting it up! LOL

PS Hoover, I'm about to make 2x 2s lipo adapters for my hyperion duo even.. why charge 2s on both sides for an hour when you can charge 4s or more on each side and do 2x as many batteries
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 11-11-2008 at 12:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    it may be ugly, but it works and its cheap.
    Doesn't have to be ugly

RC Qualifier
    Alpha and Beta versions....

Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    Alpha and Beta versions....

Always happy to take other people's ideas, tweak them slightly and let them make me look good

RC Racer
    Thank you all guys!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefisherking
    Doesn't have to be ugly

The three wire tap should be on the same side as the positive lead on the main plug, seems like you have it reversed. The first wire is the "hot" wire on any balancing tap, on the second battery it's not a hot because it is in series now.. I would switch that up if I were you, very clean though

EDIT: hmm thinking about it I guess it won't matter much, as it will just loop back through the series connect anyway. As long as the lead is plugged in right and it appears to be.
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 11-11-2008 at 05:23 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ight-e
    hmm thinking about it I guess it won't matter much, as it will just loop back through the series connect anyway by the main harness. As long as the lead is plugged in right and it appears to be.
    Yes, exactly - it makes no difference as they are directly connected together anyway. I wanted the non-blue lead to be the one I can use if I am charging a single lipo (i.e. for a different truck, without the series connect. Simpler than unpluging the y-harness each time); then the lead that's blue is for lipo number two if present. I even put a little piece of blue tape on one of each pair of lipos - not that it matters which one is on which side, but is means I just connect all the blue things together (lipo, balance tap, main lead); and all the non-blue ones together. That way I can do it without thinking.

Where are you guys getting the balance plugs and making the adapters to charge two 2s lipos?
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Champion
    Yes, exactly - it makes no difference as they are directly connected together anyway. I wanted the non-blue lead to be the one I can use if I am charging a single lipo (i.e. for a different truck, without the series connect. Simpler than unpluging the y-harness each time); then the lead that's blue is for lipo number two if present. I even put a little piece of blue tape on one of each pair of lipos - not that it matters which one is on which side, but is means I just connect all the blue things together (lipo, balance tap, main lead); and all the non-blue ones together. That way I can do it without thinking.
    You just lost me w/ the single charge.. that won't be correct with that harness, that is why you typically leave the 3rd wire on the "hot" side of the main plug. On those taps the first wire to the left looking on the side w/ the side with the catches, that first wire is the hot on a 2s single Red/blk/blk. Have you tried it yet? I just don't see how it will work for you in that reguards.. but as a 2s+2s adapter it will do just fine.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by carraig042
    Where are you guys getting the balance plugs and making the adapters to charge two 2s lipos?
    I got mine from b-p-p. I like their cheap shipping.

RC Qualifier
    You just lost me w/ the single charge.. that won't be correct with that harness, that is why you typically leave the 3rd wire on the "hot" side of the main plug. On those taps the first wire to the left looking on the side w/ the side with the catches, that first wire is the hot on a 2s single Red/blk/blk. Have you tried it yet? I just don't see how it will work for you in that reguards.. but as a 2s+2s adapter it will do just fine.
    I use it every day with both pairs of lipos and single lipos, so it is certainly fine

I leave the balance y-cable permanently plugged into the 4s socket on my bantam balance board, and use it for both single lipos and pairs.

If I am charging two lipos I use both 2s balance sockets on that cable and of course the main y-harness.

The 4s balance cable has 5 wires. The middle wire must be connected to the join between cell 2 and cell 3 - i.e. it will be connected to BOTH the last pin of the first 2s balance plug and the first pin of the second 2s balance plug, or pinA3 and pinB1 (where the pins count from right to left and A is the right hand lipo, B the left hand. It really doesn't matter which of those two you physically connect that middle wire to, as they are hard connected together by the main battery y-harness.

If I am charging a single 2s lipo I simply plug its balance tap into the right-hand balance socket of the balance y-harness - has to be that one as it is the fully-wired one. I plug the main lipo leads directly into the charger of course.

The way to be sure about the wiring is to check how the standard balance board is wired. I have the normal Kokam/Graup/Align/Dual balance board for the eStation. It has one each of 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s sockets. It you number the pins on each socket from RIGHT to LEFT , and test how they are connected, all the pin 1's (i.e. the rightmost pins) are joined together; all the pin 2's etc. i.e. you can plug a 2s plug into the right hand side of any of the sockets (2s thru 6s) and it is connected exactly the same to the charger. That is what the harness does when you just use the right hand side.

I think you could probably do it the way you described, as the chargers are clever enough to work it out. But the way that y-harness is wired is exactly the same (electrically) as the balance board, whether you use 1 lipo or 2.

Or maybe just turn the y-harness over!

Gosh, that's hard to explain in text!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by carraig042
    Search for "4 Pair balance Battery Charge Adaptor Cables" on eBay. For 4 (shipped to the UK from Hong Kong) you get a pair of each size plug and socket. The plugs all have the wires already attached, which makes it very easy.

RC Champion
    I use it every day with both pairs of lipos and single lipos, so it is certainly fine

I leave the balance y-cable permanently plugged into the 4s socket on my bantam balance board, and use it for both single lipos and pairs. .................................................. ......................

I think you could probably do it the way you described, as the chargers are clever enough to work it out. But the way that y-harness is wired is exactly the same (electrically) as the balance board, whether you use 1 lipo or 2.

Or maybe just turn the y-harness over!

Gosh, that's hard to explain in text!
    I have the more simple explaination.. I'm in reference to a hyperion charger and you are not (as you noted above) and your harness would not work right in my case, not sure why it is different, but even note yours is different than the reference chart and mine mimics that. The first wire in every balance harness should be the "hot" on the battery, then each additional wire is on the negatives (which in some cases is also a positive due to the series) but only 1 on each.

2s needs 3; hot 1, neg1, neg2
    4s needs 5; hot 1, neg1, neg2, neg3, neg4 ie 5wires.

My guess would be infact your charger has figured out your wiring error and corrected it so it would still function.

PS red is always on the hot and the first wire (see pics as well)

Last edited by 8ight-e; 11-11-2008 at 07:11 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I think a spiffy wiring diagram is in order, complete with lipos and balancing board etc..

RC Qualifier
    I have the more simple explaination.. yours is different than the reference chart
    Hmmm - mine really is the same as the reference chart... Look!

I had just sneakily posted the picture upside down... ;-)

But I agree that the chargers are clever enough to work it out...
    Last edited by bluefisherking; 11-11-2008 at 07:26 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Give that man a bottle of something nice.

On the balance tap front- the charger itself usually has only one female plug, and the adaptor boards that plug into it have several; each tap on the board has one extra - lead to account for a larger lipo pack. The same deal applies to this Y lead thingy above- even though the main plug has 5 pins (for a 4s lipo), when you plug in a single 2s lipo the charger sees that its a 2s lipo (one + and two - leads), so it doesnt matter about the unused pins/leads on the other balance plug that doesnt have a + lead (so long as you do use the lead that does have a + and 2 -).

I knew all along see, Im just evil and enjoy watching people struggling... </sadist>

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle

On the balance tap front- the charger itself usually has only one female plug, and the adaptor boards that plug into it have several; each tap on the board has one extra - lead to account for a larger lipo pack. The same deal applies to this Y lead thingy above- even though the main plug has 5 pins (for a 4s lipo), when you plug in a single 2s lipo the charger sees that its a 2s lipo (one + and two - leads), so it doesnt matter about the unused pins/leads on the other balance plug that doesnt have a + lead (so long as you do use the lead that does have a + and 2 -).

^^^^ What he said.

RC Champion
    Hmmm - mine really is the same as the reference chart... Look!

I had just sneakily posted the picture upside down... ;-)

But I agree that the chargers are clever enough to work it out...

Ya that harness won't work for anyone using Hyperion or similar chargers though... note my Hyperion plug in the above photo. So while this may work on yours it absolutely wouldn't work on many other chargers... it is literally opposite going into the 4s plug, wires would need to be reversed 'hot' starting on the left. (on the other pic) or right on this picture.. PS you can't be using the traxxas series plugs when you charge single and jumping it because that is wired wrong even for your setup *or at least color coordinated wrong I really think even for your setup you have it entirely wrong even if it has let you do it.... must be a smart circuit in that thing of yours, the 4s adapter should look just as a 4s lipo plug and yours does not.
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 11-11-2008 at 07:53 PM.

RC Champion
    bluefisherking can you see individual cell voltages on your setup? I wonder if your charger is just charging w/o balancing or your balancer is just disabling and letting the charge pass through, they are designed to be able to charge w/o balancing. You may want to look at that more close.

RC Qualifier
    Ya that harness won't work for anyone using Hyperion or similar chargers though... note my Hyperion plug in the above photo. So while this may work on yours it absolutely wouldn't work on many other chargers... it is literally opposite going into the 4s plug, wires would need to be reversed 'hot' starting on the left. (on the other pic) or right on this picture.. PS you can't be using the traxxas series plugs when you charge single and jumping it because that is wired wrong even for your setup *or at least color coordinated wrong I really think even for your setup you have it entirely wrong even if it has let you do it.... must be a smart circuit in that thing of yours, the 4s adapter should look just as a 4s lipo plug and yours does not.
    Hmmm, I think we are both totally convinced in what we are saying ... but everyone else has nodded off

Actually, my mistake, the cable should have been face down for that picture, not face up (your point about colour coding made me realise that) i.e. that means that my wire 3 is the "not used/cut" one, rather than wire 4 - but that makes no difference as those two get hard-wired together by the main y-harness, so it is still electrically identical to the overall diagram .

Anyway, it all works like a dream (for me, on my Bantam eStation), and yours clearly does for you on the Hyperion... and I think the chargers are smart as The Oracle said... so I think we should probably leave it at that before my brain wears out...

RC Qualifier
    bluefisherking can you see individual cell voltages on your setup? I wonder if your charger is just charging w/o balancing or your balancer is just disabling and letting the charge pass through, they are designed to be able to charge w/o balancing. You may want to look at that more close.
    Yup, individual voltages registered, displayed and balanced accurately.

(It really is the same as the diagram, you know!)

RC Qualifier
    The charger will see each cell in both lipo packs, but will count them as one big pack (all the cells in one lipo). Essentially, thats all a lipo pack is, seperate cells wired together in series, with a main + wire for the balance lead, and then a - wire on the - end of end cell; doesnt matter if the cells are spread out over two packs or not, so long as that extra + is removed from the balance plug goin to the 2nd lipo pack.

As for charging a single lipo with the Y harness, I believe it doesnt matter if he uses either side of the Y so long as he uses a jumper, and also uses the side of the balance lead without the blue (the side which does have a + and 2 - must be used).

EDIT:

I win.

RC Champion
    Yup, individual voltages registered, displayed and balanced accurately.

(It really is the same as the diagram, you know!)

Yes and no, it works but your Pin 1 on the 4s plug is not the correct pin 1, I guess that was my entire problem, but again the balancer is able to do it's job anyway; but technically it should be reversed (charging is through the main connectors). Does it matter for you.. nope It works so keep it as so because it does look nice Look at my photo's above the 'red' wire (hot of lipo #1) is pin 1 on the tap always (left side on my shots).
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 11-11-2008 at 08:16 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Oracle - yes, exactly, thank you. You do win!

8ight-e - you were right about the colour coding - Here is my corrected comparison to the diagram. Remember that leads 3&4 are connected together already, and you will see that they really are all the same - pin 1 is the same pin 1 etc.

I have charged my 2 2s lipos together with a y-adapter (same as HoovHartid) and has worked great.

As this was the first one I built I would want the next one (if I build another) to have longer leads for the balancing connectors. Other than that it's been a worthwhile build IMO. I had thought of making a bunch and selling them but they are not cheap to build at all (close to $20 in total materials cost if not a bit more). Would anyone buy one of these for $30...I don't know???
    Kraken Baja
    Traxxas X-Maxx

RC Champion
    Here this is my last post; just to try and clear this up for any readers..

The first wire in pin1 is the same as the hot on the series connector (same battery), you want three wires on the first tap and two wires on the second) The first hot on the second set is the one to be 'cut' or not used (see Brian G's diagram). Luckily for some the balancer works independant from the charge process other wise this would be a MESS. but if you look at the photo below you can see the tap off the battery with the snap side up and the red being to the right (pin1). If you were using a pair of 2s lipo's the red would be in the same place (pin1) but you would only have 3 wires. If this is lipo "a" then all three will go to the 4s tap and this lipo "a" would be plugged into the red side (+) of the terminals series adapter. The red wire on the tap of lipo "b" is NOT used. The remaining two wires go in order after lipo "a"'s tap wires giving you the 5 wires in the 4s connect. Lipo "b" is then connected to the black side (-) of the terminals series adapter.

Hope that helps..

Last edited by 8ight-e; 11-11-2008 at 09:13 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'll just get a second charger.
    Ever hear this? That toy truck cost how much?!?!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnemhrd
    I'll just get a second charger.

Best comment of the night!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    After reading this, I am so, so totaly lost. Lol, I followed for a little while, then just gave up. By the way ajb1205, considering my current state of confusion, I would gladly by that plug thingy for 30$. That is, if it worked with a duratrax ICE charger.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by VXL Beast
    After reading this, I am so, so totaly lost. Lol, I followed for a little while, then just gave up. By the way ajb1205, considering my current state of confusion, I would gladly by that plug thingy for 30$. That is, if it worked with a duratrax ICE charger.
    It isn't that hard to get.. he just built it backwards, thought pin1 was on the other end but he change his diagram 2x and the pics are hard to tell so it could just be his pin3 is on the wrong side ;P The thing is since the balancer is not charging the pack and only balances it, the way he did it still works. Just follow BrianG's diagram and its cake as long as you identify pin1 and keep pin3 on the first side LOL don't follow the other guys wiring harness.
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 11-11-2008 at 11:13 PM.

RC Qualifier
    +1 on just follow the wiring diagram!

(But seriously, 8ight-e, not that it really matters at this point, you are getting distracted by something - my harness is 100%, completely, exactly electrically identical to the diagram, given that the middle two pins are connected together. There is no difference in the connection whether you use 2 wires from the first and 3 wires from the second or the other way around. I know you are bothered by that but it makes no electrical difference whatsoever - exactly the same pins end up connected together. When I first built it I used a circuit tester to compare it pin by pin with a commercially produced one - it really is the same.)

RC Qualifier
    How bout this,
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Qualifier
    Yup, versions of those are available for most chargers - here is the one I have for the Bantam eStation:

RC Qualifier
    That swang hobby item is only good for a 2amp rate though as it charges through the balance leads, so thats worth bearing in mind.

RC Champion
    Oracle - yes, exactly, thank you. You do win!

8ight-e - you were right about the colour coding - Here is my corrected comparison to the diagram. Remember that leads 3&4 are connected together already, and you will see that they really are all the same - pin 1 is the same pin 1 etc.
    lol, that is correct! I have tried to explain that connection before, but pictures ARE truly worth 1,000 words (and a lot less confusing).

The ONLY reason why that one wire is left out is to protect against accidentally switching the balance harness. Just a little extra protection against oops'es.

If you DO leave that extra wire (the one being replaced by the bridge connection) and switch the balance harnesses around, something WILL burn (balance connector and/or wire).

But, if you leave that one wire out and accidentally switch the balance connectors around, the balancer will simply not work. At least that's true for the balancers I use (LBA10 and CommonSenseRC). To be sure, I just ziptie the right balance connector to the right main charge wire like so:

I feel honored to see my diagrams/site used so often!

RC Qualifier
    Well I built one of these series balencers to BrianG's specs, to the T. The issue is the 2 sacks alone on the charger are within .01v of each other. In series they are .08v apart. What the heck is that? could there be resistance in the harnes? Should I use it or get that other charger?
    Last edited by Rnemhrd; 11-14-2008 at 02:02 PM.
    Ever hear this? That toy truck cost how much?!?!

RC Qualifier
    BrianG, what are the chances that if I paid for the materials, and a little for your time, I could convince you to make me one of these for my pair of SPC 2s 8000's?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast