Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    142

    brushless guide e revo?

    hey guys. considering going brushless with my e revo but i need to know more. is there a guide anywhere?
    so many questions like how many batteries will i need, best system etc, a guide would really help out

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bray, UK
    Posts
    395
    EDIT: my comment removed - on re-reading, I didn't like the sound of my own sarcasm!
    Last edited by bluefisherking; 11-16-2008 at 08:28 AM.
    Time is an illusion, "9am sharp" doubly so.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    north smithfeild, ri, 02896
    Posts
    860
    Last edited by hockeyplaya20@c; 11-16-2008 at 10:00 AM.
    :-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. brushlessman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kerrville Tx
    Posts
    5,001
    yes but why would you get 5000's 15c? thats only 75ampsc you need at least 120ampsc+ if you buy a ma 300 cycle warranty :
    1st Year- You will be entitled to a free replacement pack within 1 year of receiving your pack.
    2nd Year- If you purchased the pack over one year ago then you would be entitled to a replacement pack of the same specs or better at 33% replacement cost. For example, if you purchased a $100 pack 18 months ago, you could get a replacement for only a $33 cost.
    3rd Year- If you purchased the pack more than 2 years ago then you would be entitled to a replacement pack of the same specs or better at 66% replacement cost. For example, if you purchased a $100 pack 30 months ago, you could get a replacement pack for only a $66 cost.

    you have the best cc in the business

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    north smithfeild, ri, 02896
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    yes but why would you get 5000's 15c? thats only 75ampsc you need at least 120ampsc+ if you buy a ma 300 cycle warranty :
    1st Year- You will be entitled to a free replacement pack within 1 year of receiving your pack.
    2nd Year- If you purchased the pack over one year ago then you would be entitled to a replacement pack of the same specs or better at 33% replacement cost. For example, if you purchased a $100 pack 18 months ago, you could get a replacement for only a $33 cost.
    3rd Year- If you purchased the pack more than 2 years ago then you would be entitled to a replacement pack of the same specs or better at 66% replacement cost. For example, if you purchased a $100 pack 30 months ago, you could get a replacement pack for only a $66 cost.

    you have the best cc in the business
    true but id rather buy 2 lipos for 160$ then buying the same lipos just 3000 more mah for 397$
    :-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    142
    ive already got some lipos thanks guys. just wanted a bit more info on going brushless in general

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. brushlessman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kerrville Tx
    Posts
    5,001
    do you know how to solder? its a reqired skill! in this hobby. the castle system is the best bolt up system i have seen!

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. asheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    7,360
    the castle system is the best bolt up system i have seen!
    They are not even released BTW there's some things your leaving out of the MA warranty.You have to buy it,and the 300 cycles.For me that means at most a year and a half.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    419
    The E-Revo FAQ at the top of the page is a great help.
    E-Revo, T-Maxx 2.5, E-Pede, Micro-T, Thundercat 31

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. brushlessman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kerrville Tx
    Posts
    5,001
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    They are not even released BTW there's some things your leaving out of the MA warranty.You have to buy it,and the 300 cycles.For me that means at most a year and a half.
    the motor hasent but a guy on rcm has a beta motor (brushlessboy) ithink. he says its pretty much the same as a real neu but it runs warmer.
    the real 1515 is a beast!

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by hk3948
    hey guys. considering going brushless with my e revo but i need to know more. is there a guide anywhere?
    so many questions like how many batteries will i need, best system etc, a guide would really help out
    You're new around here arent you- I can tell....

    FAQ and tutorials, over 2 pages worth of material that is required reading before asking any more questions:

    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=430233

    Enjoy.
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    142
    hey guys. have read the tutorial. doesnt really tell youmuch about brushless setups in the e revo at all.

    basically, ive got around $375 to spend and im looking for a brushless etup.

    what do you guys recommend?

    mm esc + neu 1512. what you think of this combo. any problems with it or any you recommend over this?

    thanks for your help

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    606
    I'll pretend that was a joke.

    mm and 1512 wont give you much more power than a hvmaxx system, and will cost about the same, if not more. Even when you have the motor and esc nailed, you will still need lipo batteries and a charger- that will mean another $150-200 + $150 to your $300 for the motor and esc.

    I suggest having another read of the FAQ and tutorials, and pay more attention to what is written- they are aimed specifically at people like yourself who obviuosly have no-idea. Beyond that, feel free to read through the older threads and see what other people are running in their Erevos; Neu 1515 1y + MMM + 2x 2s 8000mah or 2x 3s 5000mah lipos + 2.4gig radio being the most popular setup.
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    303
    1515 1.5D or 1515 1y with MMM on 4 or 6s and you should be good. CRAP, Oracle you beat me to it!
    E-REVO Tekin RX8 2250kv - Revo 1515 1Y MMM 4s/6s

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    606
    Perhaps I shouldnt bother with FAQs and tutorials, and BrianG shouldnt bother with gearing charts- maybe we should just list all the popular setups based on budget, voltage, geographical location, racing or bashing etc. Then people could just find a setup based on their wants/needs- make it like a flow chart with yes/no options that dictate the path you follow and the final setup you should choose...

    Beats smashing my head against a brick wall for people who clearly cant read (its an EREVO FAQ and TUTORIALS, every piece of info in their directly relates to the traxxas truck for crying out loud).

    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

  17. #17
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    108
    i have the novak hv pro 6.5r it has more than enough power you just arnt going to set any speed records with it lots of wheelies good run times and you need a lot of cells to have fun the esc will lineup and srew right into the stock screw holes and the motor is a tight fit bye the radio box but if you turn the heat sink in will fit nicely

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    606
    {And breathe}

    True, the hvmaxx systems are nice plug and play jobbies, just depends ultimately what the OP is after in terms of topspeed and raw power, and simplicity of setup/use...
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

  19. #19
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    142
    forgot to mention that i already have a pair of 2s lipos so dont need to include those in my budget.
    im basically after a noticeable difference in top speed and acceleration. its so hard over here in the uk. nowhere sells any of the decent sytems so im forced to order in from abroad

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    606
    You and me both. With the current exchange rate at 1 = $1.50, its even worse than normal to import stuff, thank Yoda I only need that decent motor and Im all done.

    I think if you are after just better acceleration and topspeed than stock, a nice hvmaxx 6.5 system would make you very happy with the pair of 2s lipos you have (specs on those?). try ebay for some cheaper systems (maybe older, but still good)- but still expect to pay around 90-110...

    Having the lipos and charger makes life easier for sure.

    You should have said you were from sunny old Great Britain, I would have been gentler on you...
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    near New Orleans
    Posts
    5,905
    Quote Originally Posted by hk3948
    forgot to mention that i already have a pair of 2s lipos so dont need to include those in my budget.
    im basically after a noticeable difference in top speed and acceleration. its so hard over here in the uk. nowhere sells any of the decent sytems so im forced to order in from abroad
    It might not fit your budget but save your money and get some of the best from your side of the pond. Get a Plettenberg BigMaxxium motor from Germany and an MGM esc from Cezh.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    near New Orleans
    Posts
    5,905
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    You should have said you were from sunny old Great Britain, I would have been gentler on you...
    AAAHA! Still mad that the colonies revolted ehh?
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    606
    The to Euro exchange rate is rather poor also- why arent there any UK based companies in on the BL game?..
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrusedc
    AAAHA! Still mad that the colonies revolted ehh?
    Its a little known fact that America is just an extension of the UK, thats why we do everything together; credit crisis, global warming hysteria, make war in the middle east, etc etc..

    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

  25. #25
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    70
    Crikey! Try gettin this stuff in Australia then. Lhs laugh when i start talkin bout 5mm shaft brushless, li-po charging n batts and best one is "Traxxas dont make a factory release E-Revo" as your holding it in your hands... Everthing here is Asian built like the Haboa Hyper that one shop deals in only. Ever been caught by the asian brand 7.2v nihm batteries. They dont even take a charge n if they do, hold it for 30 secs. So anything i buy comes from the US. Postage comes into the equation then. So i buy $500-$1000 worth at a time just to save on postage.
    Theres a monster under my bed

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    606
    At least you have nice weather (and Ant & Dec at present)
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

  27. #27
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    70
    Best part ever.. E-revo kiks their ***. I'm leaving .28 nitro Truggies waaay behind. Did it last weekend with the 700ho brushed motor (slower but out performed em in the cornering) This weekend i have the 6.5 novak back in it. He he he... The look on their faces is gonna be worth millions. Reckon i'll hafta put a slab of beer on the first race.
    Theres a monster under my bed

  28. #28
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    454

    on that charger.. can you see the individual cell voltage as they balance.. if so it looks like that venom pro charger to me.

    also I was looking at the 1521 / 1D / F 2900kv im thinking the 2900 might be a tad bit to much as it will only take 21 volts.

    I already have Lipos and a MMM (v3)
    The Winners Circle: Revo w/ O.S 18TM --> 4-Tec Pro

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    606
    1521 is too much for a 1/10 MT in 99% of cases, and a 2900kv motor is just silly.

    Stick to the 1515 1y 2200kv motor for 4-6 lipo, or the 1d 2700kv motor for 4s lipo maximum.
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    254
    Can i join the i'm in the UK and i want an e-revo that doesn't suck club?

    A few words of advice: Do not buy anything from the US until you check the exchange rate and add vat and postage (and 8 PF fee and duty if they can be bothered, usually they don't).
    Because the exchange rate has changed so quickly recently it has very quickly gone from a situation where everything was cheaper to import to a situation where everything is cheaper to buy locally. Use xe.com to check.
    I'm planning a load of hop-ups soon and i have been price checking, everything is cheaper here now and it takes a while to get used to. Also, most sites offering prices in multiple currencies are wrong and use rates of 6 months ago which makes a big difference. The only stuff to import now are all the things that aren't available here.

    Quote Originally Posted by The all knowing one
    The to Euro exchange rate is rather poor also- why arent there any UK based companies in on the BL game?..
    Mtroniks? They are trying, anyway. Lets see if the update to their truck system that stops it frying itself ala MMM materialises... If it does i'll be all over it. Assuming it's reliable it's probably the same price as the HV, supposed to be the same performance and waterproof. And you only have to send it back to Yorkshire when it does fry. Worth the OP investigating i'd say. We should support them really.

    P.S the location label in your profile is there for a reason
    Last edited by jtek; 11-19-2008 at 05:56 PM.

  31. #31
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bray, UK
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by jtek
    Because the exchange rate has changed so quickly recently it has very quickly gone from a situation where everything was cheaper to import to a situation where everything is cheaper to buy locally. Use xe.com to check.
    I'm planning a load of hop-ups soon and i have been price checking, everything is cheaper here now and it takes a while to get used to.
    Essentially we have just reached the exchange rate that all the UK shops & suppliers have been been pretending it was all along. However, if the exchange rate stays like this for long, they will push the UK prices up again on their next large restock, when they see the margin dwindling... So probably a good time to snap up your locally sourced upgrades...

    Personally I ordered stuff from the US a while ago, but owing to various smeg-ups (and HMRC) will only be receiving it on Friday... and I paid with dollars I already had.. so I am not sure whether I did well or not!!
    Time is an illusion, "9am sharp" doubly so.

  32. #32
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    254
    You will have done well if you bought your dollars before a few months ago. I wonder how out of sync the banks own exchange rates are atm? When the rate was getting better they were always miles out. You can bet they aren't now. Banks seem to function in their own little world where they make the rules until someone asks for their money back and it all comes crashing down

    Good point about the prices going up here, like prices of everything else i guess they will because the dollar is the global currency. I suppose i might aswell spend my savings because at this rate the interest rate will be lower than inflation anyway in which case i am actually being charged for having it in a bank

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bray, UK
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by jtek
    ... I suppose i might aswell spend my savings because at this rate the interest rate will be lower than inflation anyway in which case i am actually being charged for having it in a bank
    You are right... that means that anything you buy is an investment, since it is better than leaving the money sitting there!!!

    So, get shopping for those upgrades before the prices go up...
    Time is an illusion, "9am sharp" doubly so.

  34. #34
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    Perhaps I shouldnt bother with FAQs and tutorials, and BrianG shouldnt bother with gearing charts- maybe we should just list all the popular setups based on budget, voltage, geographical location, racing or bashing etc. Then people could just find a setup based on their wants/needs- make it like a flow chart with yes/no options that dictate the path you follow and the final setup you should choose...

    Beats smashing my head against a brick wall for people who clearly cant read (its an EREVO FAQ and TUTORIALS, every piece of info in their directly relates to the traxxas truck for crying out loud).

    So Oracle, when is the flow chart coming out??? Cannot wait for it.

  35. #35
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    142
    guys i am struggling to decide on the best motor for my needs. have a few questions

    i currently will be running 4s but would like the option of going 6s in the future without having to buy another motor. to be honest, if i can similar performance from 4s by choosing the correct motor then there is no reason why i would want to go 6s ever.

    id really appreciate some advice.
    1. should i go for the 1515/1y (2200kv). would this give way better than stock performance on 4s with the option of going 6s in the future?

    or
    2. would you recommend i just focused on 4s, in which case do you still think the 1515/1y is the best choice or is there another youd recommend

    3. is there a 1512 can that you think would be more suitable and why

    i dont race, and this setup will just be for fun and bashing. i just want a setup thats going to be problem free but with great performance

    thanks for your help

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •