RC Competitor

Mamba Monster Max V2, possibly V3

I just bought a mmm on ebay and the listing said brand new v3 (repeatedly i might add). It arrived today and in the box there is a note from castle stating that is it a v2. well i connected it to castle link and updated the firmware to 1.20. The seller says its a v3 and is willing to refund me my money. But i'm sort of impatient and i have been reading online that many people are having luck with the updated firmware. Should i return it and get another (legit) v3 or should i test my luck? The firmware did update, so it should be good either way, right?
    E-Revo - 700HO

RC Qualifier
    Use it, if it blows send it to castle and get a v3

RC Qualifier
    As a previous owner of a V2 I would RETURN IT. QUICKLY!!!!... I waited months to get my V3.

The notion that the problem can be fixed by FIRMWARE IS WRONG... early on Castle thought the issue was firmware related...but the truth was until recently they didn't know what the issue was. It is fair to say that some minor problems with the V2 could be fixed via firmware BUT the Main issue that Castle had with the V2 could NOT be fixed with firmware... (I know because I tried for 25 minutes on the phone with a Castle Tech).

The other thing with the Version 2 was it would just go out. No warning. I never got to run my car.. I hooked it up and pressed the throttle to make sure the wires didn't need to be reversed.. everything seemed fine... BUT when i got to the track, the speed control was dead... when i would press the throttle the Fan would spin... the more i pressed the throttle the faster the fan would spin... and the funny thing was the fan wasn't supposed to come on until it got 150 degrees or so.

Some V2's worked fine for weeks then suddenly went out without warning. I have personally seen both cases. Mine and a guy at my track whose v2 lasted for 2 weeks.

Castle apologized prefusely and took full responsibility as a good company should and made things right, BUT I was still without a ESC for 2 months...

I said all that to say SEND IT BACK !!
    The Winners Circle: Revo w/ O.S 18TM --> 4-Tec Pro

RC Qualifier
    And as a current owner of a V2 I say, hang on to it. The new firmware does wonders on V1 and V2 MMMs. Bash on it till it blows (which may take a long time with the FW update) and send it to CC for a free upgrade whenever it does blows.

RC Qualifier
    i was running the v2 without the firmware and it is still running good.
    bluephi1914 one question i had that same prob but it was only because i had cut off voltege to high. did you set that to high i wonder?
    Teamextremerc check us out online or at Youtube

RC Qualifier
    I thought the Cases were too small for the V1 and V2 and crushing the internals and thats why they blew?

I could be wrong but I thought thats what it was, hence why on the V3 they stretched the top and bottom of the cases by 1.5mm each side...

Correct me if I am wrong, dont like posting false info...
    "I would let you drive it, but it cost like $1000"

RC Qualifier
    Which was in the details the v2 issue ?

thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by reltsurLXV
    I thought the Cases were too small for the V1 and V2 and crushing the internals and thats why they blew?

I could be wrong but I thought thats what it was, hence why on the V3 they stretched the top and bottom of the cases by 1.5mm each side...

Correct me if I am wrong, dont like posting false info...
    I think you are right on the case, but CC has mentioned before on another forum that the case crushing internals was not the cause of a large majority of these failures.

no ! was it the fan note? they all still say v2 you prob have a v3

RC Qualifier
    Could someone who has had both v2 and v3 please tell me how to tell them apart, please?

I have the same problem as galexis: I bought the MMM v3 from ImpaktRC - the box has a sticky label saying "V3 ESC ONLY no motor included 010-0062-00", but inside there is the fan note that brushlessman mentions about the fan saying "this controller is a mambo moster version 2". I am hoping that it is a V3, but I'd really like to be sure...

I can post a picture of a particular side/corner/angle if that would help... let me know?

Thanks in advance.
    Time is an illusion, "9am sharp" doubly so.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ever since the v2 the fan only goes on after the temperature hit about 150F. The V1 fan was always on. The note was added on the v2 version and carried over to the V3. If the box had the v3 sticker, you most likely have the v3. In any case, you run it the same. Put it in the truck and abuse it. If for some reason it dies, contact castle and they will replace it free of charge.

The only other way to know is to open the case and see if the board is blue. I dont recommend it tho. whats the point? even if its a v2, you're covered. and castle started saying that they will not cover damage caused by opening the case. So if anything...if you really have to know...BE CAREFUL if you open the case.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    ever since the v2 the fan only goes on after the temperature hit about 150F. The V1 fan was always on. The note was added on the v2 version and carried over to the V3. If the box had the v3 sticker, you most likely have the v3. In any case, you run it the same. Put it in the truck and abuse it. If for some reason it dies, contact castle and they will replace it free of charge.

The only other way to know is to open the case and see if the board is blue. I dont recommend it tho. whats the point? even if its a v2, you're covered. and castle started saying that they will not cover damage caused by opening the case. So if anything...if you really have to know...BE CAREFUL if you open the case.
    Ah, ok - I won't be opening the case up - no need to invite disaster! I just thought that there would be a way to tell them apart, like a small difference I could measure in size/colour/labelling/connector placing or whatever.

is the fan part of the case taller than where the castle logo is? if it is its a v3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    is the fan part of the case taller than where the castle logo is? if it is its a v3
    Yes, by about 1mm or so.

Hurrah - it is a V3

Thankyou!

RC Qualifier
    Oh, and as you have been so helpful - can I ask one more question?

Any recommended settings for the MMM, given that I am using a Tekno Neu 1515/1y, on 4s, 5s or 6s (assume *****'s to begin with)? The main one I don't understand is timing, but also any suggestions for what I should start with on punch control and start power would be very gratefully received.

Thank you again :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bluefisherking
    Oh, and as you have been so helpful - can I ask one more question?

Any recommended settings for the MMM, given that I am using a Tekno Neu 1515/1y, on 4s, 5s or 6s (assume *****'s to begin with)? The main one I don't understand is timing, but also any suggestions for what I should start with on punch control and start power would be very gratefully received.

Thank you again :-)
    set timing to low and have fun!!
    (your welcome)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by galexis123
    I just bought a mmm on ebay and the listing said brand new v3 (repeatedly i might add). It arrived today and in the box there is a note from castle stating that is it a v2. well i connected it to castle link and updated the firmware to 1.20. The seller says its a v3 and is willing to refund me my money. But i'm sort of impatient and i have been reading online that many people are having luck with the updated firmware. Should i return it and get another (legit) v3 or should i test my luck? The firmware did update, so it should be good either way, right?
    send it back YOU payed for a mmm v3 NOT the v2.
    Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious

Quote Originally Posted by bleach
    send it back YOU payed for a mmm v3 NOT the v2.
    dont worry its a v3 im sure of it

RC Champion
    Just got my backup v3 today. Noticable differences are that the top of the case is a hair taller. The bottom of the box says v3 esc only no motor. The castle link adapter now has a wired extension.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    dont worry its a v3 im sure of it
    i am not worried just if i payed for something that seller says is newer and i got the older one i would want the newer one or my money.
    Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious