Thread: New to slash

RC Champion
    Sandy, Utah you can find me at the construction bash site a lot

New to slash

I am asking for one for Christmas and I know I am getting some SPC batteries. I plan on racing the slash when I get it and I dont know the track rules. I have a team orion 15t pro bb motor I guess I could use in a brushed only class or just borrow the vxl off my rusty and use the 3s lipo for a screamin brushless setup. I have a few questions"

1) Could I use an SPC 7 cell pack to race?
    (occasionaly bash in rain and snow)

2) What should I know about the slash?

3) Is there anything I should upgrade right when I get it?

Thanks also tell me more about something I could also be curious about...Thanks
    Agree with slowenufs sig wheres the new 4 tec?

RC Qualifier
    before you plan to much on what motor and battery you need to find out the rules for your track. cause its a waste of money if you buy the 15turn motor and they only allow the stock one...
    .___/ ```i____"""""""ex racer
    [_^______ ^ _]Now RCdrifter & Revo
    .( o )____( o )___Backyard basher

RC Racer
    Aluminum shock caps. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when the stock plastic ones will blow off. I did not think it would happen to me, but it did yesterday. I was not even driving it that hard. Most tracks will allow this since it prevents the shock oil from getting everywhere.

RC Racer
    There is not much we can tell you right now because we do not know the rules of the track. Some tracks run stock class only. This means the motor has to remain the titan but I do believe you can change suspension though. But as konaman mentioned you need to know the rules of the track. Then their is a spec class which is a slash modified class that will allow the change in motors but you need to go to the track or go to its website and look this info up then we will be able to help you little more.

RC Champion
    Just has to be stock titan motor that are the only rules. I want to keep stock servo. What is the first upgrade I should do (that has the most effect on handling) to a stock slash other than the motor?

RC Enthusiast
    shock oil and tires

RC Champion
    What are good tires for a hard packed dark dirt track? (extremely dark)

Traxxas Marshal
    The best way to choose tires is to see what the fast guys (or gals) are using and buy those.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    I may just convert my vxl rusty to a slash but I want to know what parts are needed and if it is better just to get a new slash. I have a couple good motors around: vxl for bashing with 3s lipo, team orion 15t pro bb motor (maybe if I do just a brushed slash class or maybe just doing lighte bashing, and a titan 12t motor.

Thanks guys

RC Racer
    I think if all you have to do is keep stock motor then get Big Bore Shocks. Purchase RPM A-Arms front and rear. These would be a great start.

RC Qualifier
    We saw the rear bearing carriers break the most often of any part. Go with RPM's!

RC Champion
    What about converting a rusty vxl to a slash?

Traxxas Marshal
    Personally, I'd just buy a used Slash or something off eBay and keep both vehicles. It's definitely nice having more than one vehicle to drive. When one breaks down, you have another to drive. Of course, it's not so much fun when they're all broken down... .
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    I dont really like buying used cars especially when they are rc. I like to start fresh. Illjust get the slash for christmas and maybe a 7 cell SPC 3800 matched pack. Rules at my track say you have to keep stock motor that is all. I dont know much about the slash so I would like more reccomendations on the first upgrade neccasary that stays under the 40 dollars range other than tires... BTW How good are the stock tires?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jatodood
    I dont really like buying used cars especially when they are rc. I like to start fresh. Illjust get the slash for christmas and maybe a 7 cell SPC 3800 matched pack. Rules at my track say you have to keep stock motor that is all. I dont know much about the slash so I would like more reccomendations on the first upgrade neccasary that stays under the 40 dollars range other than tires... BTW How good are the stock tires?
    You might want to invest in RPM parts when the others break. They are much thick and look more durable plus I believe they have a lifetime warranty on them as well.

The link is www.rpmrcproducts.com

I would also invest in new shocks or rebuild the stock ones to help from leaks and perhaps get alluminum caps for them at least. The stock ones pop off easily if you land real hard on the shocks.

RC Champion
    Ok thanks... How good are stocker tires? Here is what my track looks like tell me by the look of it of what shock oil and tires I should use Please:

http://ir-cr.com/customImages/new%20track1.jpg

http://ir-cr.com/customImages/new%20track2.jpg

http://ir-cr.com/customImages/new%20track3.jpg

That looks like a great place to run. I wish there was an indoor track near me.

As for the Slash, the whole point of it is to be a scale looking vehicle - including the tires. I think Traxxas got it perfect, but the tires suck for traction. There have been a few posts about removing some of the tread blocks from them to get better traction, and some people (like me) have gone with completely different wheels/tires. There is probably a limit to the change the track will allow, but check this thread out-> http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=430866

RC Champion
    Sorry I have to keep the stock look... cant do that but what tires do work for the descrption above?

RC Qualifier
    i would go with hpi geolandars or Proline switch tires mounted on rpm revolver wheels (to keep the scale look) or proline epic beadlocks.
    the first upgrade i would do IMO would be Traxxas steering bellcrank (takes out the slop in steering), rpm a-arms front and rear, rpm gear cover, rpm bearing carriers and Traxxas big bores.
    Then you would have a really strong, well handling slash!
    Slash VXL | HPI Wheely King 4x4
    Thanks, Kevin.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jatodood
    Ok thanks... How good are stocker tires? Here is what my track looks like tell me by the look of it of what shock oil and tires I should use.
    I think for this track you will have to change shock oils a bit. I noticed there happens to be a triple jump and think you have the small speed bumps you have to go over. With this I would probably try 35wt - 45wt oil plus some stiffer springs if you can. Cooleo states that if you go above 40wt in oil you should try to invest in stiffer springs to help smooth the car out.

RC Enthusiast
    your track is easy going my track the slash got to be stock out of the box only thing we are allowed to change is the shock caps cause thats the on going problem with them but for you wanting to change anything i would wait till it broke and then go with rpm good,strong,and lite dont go with alunmum adds weight and wheel wise go with proline switch tires and proline beedlock rims 2.2 and i went with big bore shocks total different handeling hope this helps a little

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by irish
    your track is easy going my track the slash got to be stock out of the box only thing we are allowed to change is the shock caps cause thats the on going problem with them but for you wanting to change anything i would wait till it broke and then go with rpm good,strong,and lite dont go with alunmum adds weight and wheel wise go with proline switch tires and proline beedlock rims 2.2 and i went with big bore shocks total different handeling hope this helps a little
    just DON'T, i repeat, DON'T GO WITH RPM CASTOR BLOCKS! they will bend your king pins! go with Traxxas or STRC castor blocks.
    Slash VXL | HPI Wheely King 4x4
    Thanks, Kevin.

Definitely go for a set of race spec tires, bowties or something similar-see what the fast guys are using. Rear Rustler rims front and rear will have the right offset to keep the tires under the body. I would get a couple extra motors if your going to race a lot, break them in and if someone has a motor dyno test them to find the strongest one and use that only in the main races. I rarely ran the same motor in the main that I ran in the qualifiers...