Thread: Feigao XL

RC Competitor

Feigao XL

I was wondering how these motors are. I was thinking of matching it with a MM V3(KD has them for $170) or the older MM(I think its the V2 gen for $135). I know its not as powerful as the NEU's, but I'm just using it for bashing and I don't have Lipo, but a good pair of 7 cell matched 4600's from PMRacing. But the only thing I can really find on the XL's is their RPM is rated for 40k(or is it 35K?), since i'm on 16.8v I need a 40k/16.8 = 2380kV or 35k/16.8 = 2083kV motor. I don't know how many turns would be the equivalent(8,9 or 10 XL) or even what their actual ratings are. Also would it better to go with the closest kV match or one higher? From what I know of AC brushless is that running them undervoltage is much more dangerous to burning them out than over voltage because they compensate for lack of voltage by drawing large amounts of current, which usually means it'll let the smoke out, and I don't want to invest $200 and have that happen because of mismatching a motor and voltage combo. But again, theory doesn't always equal reality, so i'm looking for answers based on experiences. Lastly are these motors horribly inefficient? Are there any suggestions for a better motor within ~$30 of the cost?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The 8 XL works on 14V, the 9 XL on 18.5V, and the 10 XL on 22V. I don't know if I would say "horribly inefficient" but they are less when compared to a Neu, Pletty or Lehner. Alot of guys use them you just will have less gearing options then a high end motor and may need cooling mods such as fans, heat sinks or body vents.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

i would say 9xl! i ran it on 12 cells nimh for a wile, it ran ok

http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors/036-V2.htm The 60mm motors are better then the xl's.The 70's, which should be out soon,will be closer to a Neu 1515.Xl motors are horrible from my experience.Between the 8xl and Medusa 36-60-2000 the Medusa runs 5mph faster and 40 degrees cooler.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Competitor
    I think for bashing a Feigao on a MM combo will not be too bad. I have a 7xl @ 2382kv and after 45 minute of bashing it hold up pretty well. With your matched cell i think you can go with a 8-9xl with no problem . BTW I'm running 4s 8000 lipo/mamba monster, and my motor temp is around 130 and esc 90. Good luck

RC Champion
    I never had any problems with my 9XL on 14 cells, but they do get hot faster than a comparably Neu, and that extra heat is lost energy not getting to your tires. I found that it needed a good 20 minutes of cooling down after a 15 minute run to maintain a decent temperature.

On the plus side, being two pole slotless stator, just about any ESC can run them fine. It would be advisable to get the RCMonster heatsink/clamp (to help cool it, and to keep the rear end cap on).

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you could do the kb45. its a beast.