RC Qualifier

I just had a bad day.

Well I just had my first real crash. I had a war with my pede against a wall at 30 mph. As you can guess the wall won. My front left wheel went. I completely broke the steering for that wheel. I really dont know what to replace it with. What should I get so this doesnt happen again. Also my radio is glitching. I was driving it about 100-150 ft away from me. I car did the wrrrrr stop wrrrr stop. Like I thought the throttle trigger was a paintball trigger. My transmitter's red light is solid so that isnt the problem. Do you guys have any idea what the problem. THanks in advance.

Also I have no idea how to post pictures. Can anybody tell me so I can show you guy what has happened.
    Last edited by sasquatch95; 11-22-2008 at 12:24 PM.
    Its not if it breaks...its when

RC Champion
    Sorry to hear. To post pics, go to photobucket.com and sign up. You can upload your pics to their website. Be sure to choose 640x480 as your pic size before you uload your pics. After your pics upload to their site, click on the "Copy IMG link" for the particular picture that you want to post here. The IMG link should be right below the pic itself. Then just come back to this site and paste the IMG link into your post. Hope that helps.

RC Qualifier
    THanks. I finally got it. Just go to the links and you will see what happened.

RC Qualifier

RC Champion
    Sandy, Utah you can find me at the construction bash site a lot
    You just broke the caster block I think... They are only 2 dollars but I would get the RPM caster block because it is life time warranty if it breaks you get free replacement and trust me you will not break it. I have bashed hard nad have never broke an RPM part.

EDIT:Where is the wheel broken?>
    Agree with slowenufs sig wheres the new 4 tec?

RC Champion
    Looks like you have bushings in your carriers, so I'm assuming you have the XL-5?

This should beef things up a bit:

Traxxas aluminum caster blocks:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTYW1&P=7

Traxxas Suspension Scew Pin set: (use the 2nd longest screws with the fine thread)
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSGY7&P=M

RPM Bearing carriers front:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNY89&P=ML

RPM bearing carriers rear: (might as well upgrade the rear too)
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNY90&P=ML

Traxxas 5x11x4mm bearings: (4 for the front carriers, 4 for the rear)
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHFS7&P=ML

I run this setup and it has proven itself very strong.

As for the glitching, check your spur/pinion gear mesh and make sure your Tx's batteries are not dying. Also if you run brushless, keep the antenna wire and Rx as far away from the ESC as possible. I have my antenna tube mounted to my front shock tower with zip ties to avoid any possible interference.
    Last edited by MambaMaxPede; 11-22-2008 at 01:47 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Why not just get the aluminum upgrades. Does rpm make those. THanks I have no ideas what i would do without this blog!

http://h1070187.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=TRA3636A

http://h1070187.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=TRA3652A
    Last edited by sasquatch95; 11-22-2008 at 02:48 PM.

RC Qualifier
    No, RPM specializes in nylon composite parts. You'll want to get an aluminum caster from either Traxxas, FLM, or STRC. Personally I'd get a set from Traxxas because you don't have to bore out the hole in the steering block like for the FLM's, and you don't have to run the hinge pin with e-clips like you do for the STRC's.

The one thing you can get from RPM that would help in a front end crash is the bumper. It widens the area protected and since it's made by RPM, they'll replace it if you manage to break it (walls are notorious for breaking bumpers. )
    Traxxas: Stampede, E Maxx
    Losi: Muggy

RC Champion
    thats some carnage! make sure you haven't bent anything else like rods and stuff and make sure that you dont have cracks in other parts like arms for example.
    vxlpede
    wkcrawler
    minirio
    1/8nbuggy
    1/16vxl?

Yep; just looks like a broken caster. At least that's all that's broken in the pics. Like our boy from Perth said, you should go through and check everything closely to make sure you didn't miss a cracked arm, or anything else, just to be on the safe side. In any case, I'd second what those before me have said: replace the broken parts with RPM casters, or Traxxas casters if you want to go aluminum. Get the carriers and bearings and replace those too, if you can afford to, while you're at it. 5x11x4 are the size. And by all means, if you don't have a bumper, get one. It won't save your truck from every front end crash, but it will save you more often than not. The fewer parts you'll break in a crash will have the bumper paying for itself in the long run.
    Last edited by TAT2; 11-22-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    99%er

RC Qualifier
    I was looking over my broken pede, and I found out that i no longer have a camber link! It is gone. So I need to replace that too. But i really need your guys help here. In the front, the link above the adjustable one. I dont know what that is called. What should I get to replace it, and upgrade it. (What milimeter are they!?!?!?)
    Last edited by sasquatch95; 11-22-2008 at 10:16 PM.

RC Champion
    the turnbuckle it that what your talking cause it looks like your steerink link is still there if so i found these on tower http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPXV2&P=7

RC Qualifier
    You'd be better off getting either ones from Lunsford (titanium), or the stock VXL ones (steel), because a lot of people have bent or broken the aluminum ones. As long as the link you get is 61mm, they'll fit.

Lunsford all the way!
    They don't have them in your exact size, but these are close enough that, depending on which rod ends you're using, one of them will work.
    63.5mm: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXY750&P=7
    or 60mm: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXY749&P=7
    In any case, I'd stay away from the Traxxas steel. I've seen to many of those snap, with little reason, to recommend them to anyone.
    99%er

RC Champion
    LOL,if that was the worst crash youve had thus far,your in for a surprise!
    If you bash the pede hard enough it will break,but try crashing into that wall at 60mph!
    LOL
    TRAXXAS makes a awesome problem free truck!
    I always loved my Pedes when I used to own R/C's
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
    Ronald Reagan

RC Champion
    Hey jtcfanof3, haven't seen you in a longgg time.
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail" Ben Franklin

RC Champion
    LOL,ya,Ive moved on hobby wise,but check in from time to time,TRAXXAS has some kool new products,I get an email from them time to time and have to come lurk for a little while.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
    Ronald Reagan

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch95
    Well I just had my first real crash. I had a war with my pede against a wall at 30 mph. As you can guess the wall won. My front left wheel went. I completely broke the steering for that wheel. I really dont know what to replace it with. What should I get so this doesnt happen again. Also my radio is glitching. I was driving it about 100-150 ft away from me. I car did the wrrrrr stop wrrrr stop. Like I thought the throttle trigger was a paintball trigger. My transmitter's red light is solid so that isnt the problem. Do you guys have any idea what the problem. THanks in advance.

Also I have no idea how to post pictures. Can anybody tell me so I can show you guy what has happened.

I hit a curb one day with the fron-left wheel. The wheel hit so hard the truck rebounded, I guess is a good way to say it, of the curb and the entire front-left side of the truck was was on the ground.

The reason it hit I truned about a second too late and not sharp enough. I felt like a genius.

RC Qualifier
    you think yours is glitchy that far away? im lucky to get 50ft when im goind forward, 30 in reverse. its terrible. im just too lazy to chuck out my pos xl-5 and get a new one.

i checked the receiver by using one of my nitros receivers and it did the same thing.
    E-Pede/N-Sport 2.5R/Jato
    N-Rusty/N-Sport/MERV

RC Qualifier
    With out a doubt, it's worth the extra money to buy Lunsford. If Tower Hobbies doesn't have the size you need, you can buy straight from Lunsford: http://www.lunsfordracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc
    I've bought from their webpage before with no problems and they were quick to pack and ship my order. You can't beat their no hassle, lifetime warranty. The amount of abuse Lunsford turnbuckles can take is astonishing.

As for the Wheel damage, it looks like the hex mounting point (on the rim) is broken. Look at the first picture: http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/DSC01202.jpg
    My eyes could just be playing tricks on me (due to lack of vision "depth" in the photo), but it looks to me like the hex mounting point is flanged out, and cracked on the side.

Fred

RC Qualifier
    The wheel mount isn't cracked, it's just that the black chrome finish is wearing off. Look at the other parts of the wheel that don't have the black chrome and it's the same deal. As for being "flanged out", I don't think it is either, but it is a good idea to inspect the wheel itself for any cracks or damage to the area the hex sits in.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch95

My general rule of thumb:

Aluminum on the outside - casters and carriers/turny thingamobobs, then RPM arms. All that happens is the pins pop out and you just unscrew them and put it back in. Its a pricey investment, but I'm yet to come even close to damaging my truck since.