RC Champion
    Sandy, Utah you can find me at the construction bash site a lot

What is a good bike for me?

I like to have a bike that I could take up to the mountain and not do the hard stuff but go easily and smoothely over the easy stuff. I would like a bike with suspension in the rear as well. My bike is to small and to old and I just dont think it is very good I would prefer a Specialized bike...Like I said I dont catch any more than 5 feet of air and go off drop offs but want the smoothest for that stuff.
    Agree with slowenufs sig wheres the new 4 tec?

I would look at the brand Trek. Great bikes and the prices are not to bad.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

I'd say take a look at Kona. I've had a Kona Stuff for a while, and I have no complaints. That one is a hard tail, which I like, but they have full suspension also.

RC Champion
    Is there any one out there that could reccomend a good Specealized? I looked at their site and still couldnt find one good. Ill look at Trek though

Trek has really good bikes. There customer support is awesome to.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC poster
    Ellsworth the best out there in frame design right now.

RC Champion
    Ok because I am new to the extreme stuff and still am not doing much now only about 3 feet drop offs and only catching about 3 feet of air. Later I will be better though and I want to keep the bike I get later for a while.

hay jatodood.. was thinking you are asking about motor bikes when i noticed that im wrong here..
    Good luck man whatever your choice is..

RC poster
    if you are consistently doing big drops i would recommend a all mountain bike that has around 4-5 inches of travel. Are you wanting to do more downhill stuff or more cross country with drops and jumps thrown into the mix.

RC Champion
    Spec-Either Big Hit or SX trail
    Giant-Reign X
    Haro- X7-X6comp

What is your budget for a new bike?
    Retired RC'r till funds can be found...:(

Price range would help. . .

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jatodood
    Ok because I am new to the extreme stuff and still am not doing much now only about 3 feet drop offs and only catching about 3 feet of air. Later I will be better though and I want to keep the bike I get later for a while.
    Yeah, price range would help, but know this: 3' drop ain't massive, but it clearly puts you out of any bike in the category of "XC" (cross-country). Go to all the bike shops in your area, see/try what they have, and be sure to tell them you're doing 3 - 5' drops/jumps. They'll likely want to steer you into a bike somewhere in/near the category of "trail" or "all mountain" (these are all bike classifications). Don't get hung up on a specific brand as it's a sure fire way to get the wrong bike. Just make sure you shop at REAL bike shops (ie, not Wallmart, Costco, etc) and get a name-brand bike - the one that fits you and your riding style will be the right bike. Rock on!
    ....and for all these reasons, I have decided to scalp you - and burn your village to the ground. - Wednesday Addams -

RC Champion
    Price range is from 500-1000 dollars. I am planning on doing some jumps, trails, drop offs, ect basically everything but nothing too hardcore. Yesterday I took my Specialized kids hard rock (old version) and caught only about 2 feet of air on a table top and the landing felt like I went off about a 5 foot drop off with no shocks! I know it is hard to find a decent bike with full suspension and disk brakes for that price range but do what you can to help and give me any other advice you can that I can take useful for when riding on the jumps or doin the drop offs or choosing a new bike! Maybe you could tell me also what practices I should do to not chicken out so easily on the slightely bigger jumps and drop-offs

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    "Last edited by cooleocool : 12-23-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Airing their dirty laundry." ......................Huh? My underwear are clean baby.
    I used to ride on a Specialized Ground Control FSR. Awsome bike. Had Marzocci Bomber front, Fox center, XTR components, Maxxis WormDrive tires(best dirt tire ever made, no longer in production though), Monkeylight bars and tons of other goodies. I rode with platform pedals, I hate clipless. You can't get this bike for $1,000 but it is worth every penny you will pay.

RC Qualifier
    Im not a fan of Specialized, simply because they are a bully within cycling world. They forced Scott out of the U.S. a while back (thats why Scott has only re-emerged in the last few years. Specialized also forced the original Mountain Cycle into bankruptcy (under new ownership now). With that said, all manufacturers offer basically the same bikes at certain price points. I would try to find the best spec'ed bike without paying too much attention to brand. If it's Sram spec'ed you can't go wrong. Sram components (i.e. Truvativ & Avid) are top notch, and thier shifters and ders are hands down - the best (1:1 shifting ratio as opposed Shimano's 2:1). If you can avoid Shimano, DO IT. You'll be much happier and headache free On a side note, I've heard from more than one person that Trek has the highest frame failure rate of all the brands - with Giant in a close second (you can take that statement with a grain of salt though, I've never confimed this). Don't forget to bug the local bike shops and test ride the bikes. They might offer a demo you can take out on the trail. And ask LOTS of questions!
    Last edited by Rick_Diculous; 11-25-2008 at 03:47 PM.
    Whacky waiving inflatable arm flailing tube man!!!

Frame failure rate has come up before, and I really wish there were some solid numbes on percentage of frame failure. The more popular brands may have a lower PERCENTAGE, even though there are more OVERALL failures. One thing that all manufacturers agree on is never use a longer travel fork than the frame was designed for, unless you like the head tube to blow out.

Another option to buying a complete bike is to piece one together. I got my Kona Stuff frame - which went for about $400 new - for $100 + S&H off of eBay. Components that a new owner changes out as soon as they get the bike home technically are 'used', but the only way to tell the differance is the price you pay. Doing it this way lets you put together EXACTLY the setup you want, for far less.

And if you need a set of wheels laced up, shoot me a PM. I like to work on those when messing arround with all the tiny screws in my E-Maxx start to make me squint and cuss.

RC Qualifier
    "Last edited by cooleocool : 12-23-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Airing their dirty laundry." ......................Huh? My underwear are clean baby.
    I've ran a few different bikes and the Ground Control is the best suited for me. I actually loved my old GT Outpost aluminum(they made the same bike in steel) even though it was a hard tail. The Specialized bike is extremely light for the size of the frame and that makes the up hill part not as bad. As for putting a company out of business, who cares? If one company can't keep up with the other, it isn't our fault. You shouldn't not like a company for producing a product that out sells the competition. Otherwise you should hate Traxxas.

RC Champion
    Specialized tried to become a monopoly company....and failed partly cause of patents. But who cares, now instead of Iron Horse as the cool bike, Spech is cause hey now have Team Monster for their DH team as well....

If your desperate for a fully. Go to Wheelworld.com, get the 07 stinky frame and get the FR build kit. The build kit is just the 07 Stinky's components stripped off of it...
    Retired RC'r till funds can be found...:(

RC Competitor
    I would look at a trek, kona, or specialized.
    Wow I'm a noob:
    Nitro Sport
    Team Losi Micro DT

RC Champion
    I am probly gonna get the GT force 3.0