RC Qualifier

Exclamation can i put the vxl in a 4tec

like the title says it, can i put a vxl in my 4tec.
    if so, how do i do it?

i have seen it done
    and i also wanted to know how it performs

Traxxas Marshal
    If you have seen it done, why are you asking if it can be done!? . I'm just messing with you!

Yes, you can definitely install a Velineon system in the 4-Tec. Other members have done it here in the past, and they have some decent write ups on how exactly they did it. I suggest running a quick search here for either Velineon or VXL* (the asterisk is a place taker, since there is a four character search limit). You'll surely find some good info on the subject.

Oh yeah... be prepared to burn through some tires if you go through with the VXL system installation!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    thanks cooleocool

i just put a set of jaco foams on my 4tec, im not worried about the tires

RC Champion
    Sandy, Utah you can find me at the construction bash site a lot
    I did it because my rusty was broken and I had to have something fun. just use servo tape or get the vxl mounting plate and motor bolts right in after that. Not that hard just tighten diffs up and they may not last long. Tires will go soon. I think thats it.
    Agree with slowenufs sig wheres the new 4 tec?

RC Qualifier
    do i have to worry about breaking belts or cracking plastic gears?

sorry about the questions, im new to the 4tec

RC Champion
    Probably not breaing belts or plastic gears either. The 4 tecs drive train is moslty just the diffs and belts. Some have snapped belts but I didnt on 3s 5k lipo and vxl system.

RC Qualifier
    im probablly going to be using nimh batteries, no lipos.

would it help if i put 3.3 diffs in it

thanks

RC Champion
    Yes it deffinatly would help. The 3.3 diffs will last a long time. Dont get a Venom battery though it will most likely blow up and destroy your entire car. (lol) Relly, for 50 dollars you cant beat it and the battery is not big enough to rub on the belt and you will have amazing power and performance from your car. here is the lnik to the battery you need http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=59 And of course this charger http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTCK1&P=ML which is easy to use and setup and I will be here for assistance with it because I have it. I would not get a 3s unless it is less than 4000mah (which is not even worth it) because it rubs on the belt. That is what mine did. You need this balancer just to plug into that little white plug thing on the battery that balances the cells voltage. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMRZ9&P=ML It sounds tricky and confusing and like you need a lot of parts but it really is not. Hey if 12 year old can do it you can too right?:P NiHm batteries I think explode more. I have seen more people with NiHm batteries explode more than lipos. if the lipo is properly maintained it will last a long time. If you dont want to get a lipo because of cost or whatever it is you must get good quality Nihm cells like these! http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=78 Just use a couple strong rubber bands or at least 2 zip ties to hold it in. Or just get the 6 cell http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=74 If you want longer run times get the 4600 mah batteries on their site. Every thing I have heard about the company is great, from quality to service. I own a battery from them as well and enjoy it. it is for my rusty that cannot stop wheeling with that battery. Many of us though have had LVC issues with the vxl esc though. Some use an externaly LVC such as the Novak Smartstop and some just get a Mamba to get rid of all the Vxl issues. if you want to go brushed (less power and less efficancy) get this motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJAJ4&P=ML the titan is really no good. The xl5 is though. Get that. You may want more power just with a 6 cell lipo and vxl but your speeds should be around 45 mph depending on what gearing you use. Like I said, use the 2s lipo for more power and speed.
    Last edited by jatodood; 11-24-2008 at 10:33 PM.

RC Qualifier
    thanks a lot for the help

i probably will put the 3.3 diff in it and just stick with the nimh batteries

now i just need to get a vxl system

RC Champion
    If I see 2 Jato's together does that mean that winter will last 2 month's longer?

RC Qualifier
    hey slowenuff and jatodood. i just noticed your signatures and i totally agree with both of u!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Same here, I will get a 4-tec from traxxas as soon as they makie a new one.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC poster
    I did it 2 my 4 tec but I had to take a drill and shave out the left side where the motor goes and also expand ur motor mount holes on the right side but u can do what ever u want that's how I did it

RC Qualifier
    that is what i thought about doing stuman. the motor mount holes are not very good

RC Champion
    Im trying to think how many times a 4-tec got passed over this year. Erevo, Slash, Slayer, Brushless Erevo, Summit, The minis. They gotta do something for sedans next year its only fair.

RC Racer
    I agree though i don't have a 4-tec i would like to sell a new touring car from traxxas cause i can't see buying a car thats been around just as long as i have been in the hobby (10 years) without any changes.

I have a 4-Tec that I got as a roller and needs a good amount of TLC (plus parts), I'm going to put in a VXL in it. I want to gear it for the track (the twisty kind, not the straight kind), what gearing would you guys suggest?

(Target speed is mid 30's)

Thanks.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    how fast does your 4-tech go?
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC Champion
    As fast as my dreams will allow. I just picked up the cc 9000 and when I get daylight and dry roads ill find out just how much faster than my 5700 it is. And since Mr Patrick of CC is now a member I hope he helps/works with traxxas to bring about the resurection of a new 4tec.

RC Competitor
    I've had my 4-tec clocked at the local airport at speeds reaching almost 90MPH. Did that with a Novak racing system GTB Esc and 4.5 turn Velocity motor. Have all the aftermarket goodies on it as well. The diffs were the only thing I ever had any problems w/ solved that by replacing the diff balls with Associated hard carbide and haven't had any problems out of it since then.

RC Champion
    i think the only reason that traxxas doesnt make a brushless 4-tec is cause it would be just as good or better as the nitro verson. im sure they will upgrade it though.
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC Champion
    I don't see that as a reason. Traxxas recognizes brushless technology as the future of rc. Hence the partnership with CC to provide the new powerplant for the erevo. As far as better the nitro 4-tec claims speeds of 70 out of the box. The rustler vxl claims speeds of 70 out of the box. So by what we all know of brushless power a brushless 4-tec would smoke both easily.

RC Champion
    Now that we are talkin 4tec again, lets talk about upgrades. 200mm wide, figure out how to incorporate revo suspension, I like the belt system so keep it but relocate it to allow for larger batteries and more gearing options. Oh and lastly a chassis shroud because the wheels are under the body dirt and dust gets everywhere.

RC Qualifier
    i agree slowenuff... they need to put the revo suspension in . it would be sick!!!!.. i want an on-road car but i can t seem to bring my self to buy anything but traxxas. COME ON TRAXXAS lets get going with this already
    RX8 E-Revo
    WIDE Rustler VXL