Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    578

    proper cold weather break in

    I got my motor in my tmaxx today and only got to the first step of break in.its about in the mid 20s today and I did the traxxas way 1/4 throttle for 2 seconds,stop repeat. it took about 1/4 tank before it got to 200 degrees when it did I richened it up 1/8th turn cause it climbed to 225 prity fast.I got it to stay about 200-210 but it wanted to drop to 190 when the wind got blowing so I was up then down I did about 3/4 of a tank not to hurt it in the cold. there were a couple times were I putted around for more then 2 seconds at no more then 1/8-1/4 throttle just to build some heat (windy today bad chill) since it was my first try i dont think I did too bad but do you know how fast I should get to 210-220? if I should cover it next time what part should I cover top or bottom of head? I cut a Sock were it will only cover 1/2 of the head.please help so I dont turn a new motor into junk or was I ok for my verry 1st try
    Last edited by wiscnitro; 12-02-2008 at 11:20 PM.

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Posts
    1,441
    Well, last time I broke in an engine in cold weather it was in the 30's out. And I couldnt get the temps up to 200 at all.
    Im kinda surprised you got yours that hot in 20 degree weather!

    Anywho.... I would wrap the bottom half of the head with tin foil. It holds in more heat.
    You want the engine to get up to temp quickly during break in especially.
    Good luck. Not many people have the courage, let alone the motivation to breakin an engine in the 20's.

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    69
    +1 on Timjs tinfoil hint, that works well. We broke in a 3.3 last Christmas and it worked well, no probs holding 210-220. Sounds like you did fine with the sock as well. Good luck on the rest of break-in, just take your time. The snow today might slow you down a bit, unless it's not snowing in Madtown
    Last edited by qmbcole; 12-03-2008 at 10:03 AM.

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Port Elizabeth, South-Africa
    Posts
    4,562
    during break in I never even check the temps... only when I tune...
    If you don't like Nitro, you don't like anything!

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Snook Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sugar Hill Ga.
    Posts
    8,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch_639
    during break in I never even check the temps... only when I tune...
    Break-in is the most critical time to watch your engine temps IMO.
    If your not getting the engine temp above 200 it puts way too much stress on the con rod, sleeve & piston because the sleeve does not expand enough to relieve some of the "new" pinch.
    I use a sock on the cooling head to break-in all new engines. I don't have a problem with high temps; I have difficulties trying to keep the temps up even in the summer time without a hole in the windshield.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by timjs
    Well, last time I broke in an engine in cold weather it was in the 30's out. And I couldnt get the temps up to 200 at all.
    Im kinda surprised you got yours that hot in 20 degree weather!

    Anywho.... I would wrap the bottom half of the head with tin foil. It holds in more heat.
    You want the engine to get up to temp quickly during break in especially.
    Good luck. Not many people have the courage, let alone the motivation to breakin an engine in the 20's.
    cant be afraid you get use to the cold

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    146
    I don't have a temp gauge. Can I still break in the engine? It will probably be around 20-30 degrees when I do.
    My Nitro Rustler is faster than yours.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex570
    I don't have a temp gauge. Can I still break in the engine? It will probably be around 20-30 degrees when I do.
    I wouldent try it I found out how hard it is to get it up to 200 and keep it up
    I just fried my on board temp gague when snow got in it and im at the last step I dont plan on going further untill I get a new one.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex570
    I don't have a temp gauge. Can I still break in the engine? It will probably be around 20-30 degrees when I do.
    Ps.if you havent gotton snow yet do it before or make sure the area you do it in is clean when you get to the part were you work up to 3/4 throttle you will find out why Im sure this is common sense but I drove over a patch of snow when I hit 3/4 and around we go!! Still like I said before get a temp gague and have fun!

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    69
    Can alway use a drop of spit on the cooling head to see about where temp is, but WInitro is right, safest with temp guage

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Posts
    1,441
    The spit test is wayyy to unaccurate for me. Or maybe vague is the right word. anyhow, get a temp guage!

  12. #12
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,610
    during break in of ANY engine it is "IMPORTANT" to get the engine to at least 200f. as stated earlier running it to cold puts undue stress on the engine. myself i DO NOT attempt a break-in in anything less then 55f temps. and then i have foil handy incase i need to wrap the head. and as far as a temp gague it is almost a must to have. although i seldom use mine anymore as i tune by sound and preformance i do occasionally check the temps as a ball park number to know how it is holding the tune. i do not reccomending using this temps gun though...http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXEMG5because of this temp gague i cooked a os .18 tm in my t-maxx. reason for saying this? my team mate and i both had the same temp gague. i would check my temp and then he would check it, mine saying 210 his would say 260. we checked to make sure we had then set correctly and we did, another racer came out and also was checking our temps while, we shot with our guns and then he shot and he was using a high dollar gun...these temp gagues were off anywhere from 80 f to 95 f. hence my team mate and i both cooked our motors.
    zip ties & duct tape,a racers most important tools

  13. #13
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxxgeorge2
    during break in of ANY engine it is "IMPORTANT" to get the engine to at least 200f. as stated earlier running it to cold puts undue stress on the engine. myself i DO NOT attempt a break-in in anything less then 55f temps. and then i have foil handy incase i need to wrap the head. and as far as a temp gague it is almost a must to have. although i seldom use mine anymore as i tune by sound and preformance i do occasionally check the temps as a ball park number to know how it is holding the tune. i do not reccomending using this temps gun though...http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXEMG5because of this temp gague i cooked a os .18 tm in my t-maxx. reason for saying this? my team mate and i both had the same temp gague. i would check my temp and then he would check it, mine saying 210 his would say 260. we checked to make sure we had then set correctly and we did, another racer came out and also was checking our temps while, we shot with our guns and then he shot and he was using a high dollar gun...these temp gagues were off anywhere from 80 f to 95 f. hence my team mate and i both cooked our motors.
    Thats the one I use. Point it at a glass of ice water and it reads 32. Point it at a pot of boiling water and it reads 212. good enough for me.

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by timjs
    Thats the one I use. Point it at a glass of ice water and it reads 32. Point it at a pot of boiling water and it reads 212. good enough for me.
    well then depending on that temp gun plan on keeping motors in your tool box because they ae crap. everyone hat i know that had them has had he same problems.
    zip ties & duct tape,a racers most important tools

  15. #15
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxxgeorge2
    well then depending on that temp gun plan on keeping motors in your tool box because they ae crap. everyone hat i know that had them has had he same problems.
    I actually have two of these guages. They're both accurate. And they read within a degree of one another when pointed at the same thing.
    And they often get the reading exactly the same.

    I will say, however, that when dirt collects in the infrared receptor thing, the readings are skewed.

    But a q-tip with windex on it cleans it really nice. Then it reads good again.

  16. #16
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    UpState New York
    Posts
    107
    Its been 15 years since I did my last nitro break in and things were a bit different back then. I want to get this one right. This thread was the same I was getting ready to post and the answers have been a BIG help. I'm glad you guys recommended foil, because that was one thing I was going to ask about.

    I did have a couple of other questions:

    How fast should it come up to the 200* mark on the 1st tank run? I know you want it ASAP, but what should I look for time/fuel use wise?

    If the weather turns really bad, can I do part of the break in one day, and then continue it later, or do you need to do it all together?

    Because its cold out should I preheat the engine with my heat gun? If so, should I get it up to as close to 200* or a different number? If I should heat it, should I do it before each of the 5 tank runs?

    Thanks for any help/info you can give me!!!

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Snook Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sugar Hill Ga.
    Posts
    8,397
    Pre heating the engine prior to break-in is a good idea even in warm weather. It will relieve some of the new pinch and will be easier to start. Less chance of the piston sticking at TDC and piston/sleeve wear.
    Just heat the block with a hairdryer for a couple of minutes to around 150F if possible.
    As far as getting up to the 200F mark, with some foil or sock it shouldn't take too long. Just keep an eye on the temps to make sure your not getting too hot and adjust the foil or sock as needed.
    You can breakin over any period of time you want. 1 tank a day or all 5 in one outing, makes no difference.

    PS. Was 78 degrees at my house today...Burrrr.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

  18. #18
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    UpState New York
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man
    Pre heating the engine prior to break-in is a good idea even in warm weather. It will relieve some of the new pinch and will be easier to start. Less chance of the piston sticking at TDC and piston/sleeve wear.
    Just heat the block with a hairdryer for a couple of minutes to around 150F if possible.
    As far as getting up to the 200F mark, with some foil or sock it shouldn't take too long. Just keep an eye on the temps to make sure your not getting too hot and adjust the foil or sock as needed.
    You can breakin over any period of time you want. 1 tank a day or all 5 in one outing, makes no difference.

    PS. Was 78 degrees at my house today...Burrrr.
    Thanks!!! I really appreciate it. I'm into offshore boating, and on some of those forums because I had no posts I would never get an answer. Here I got one in 10 minutes. I'm liking the support I get as much as I like my new Revo.

    and Oh yea, your 78*. Its gonna be that here tonight too. Course without the 7 in front of it.
    I fix things till they can't be fixed.

  19. #19
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    UpState New York
    Posts
    107
    Thanks for the foil idea guys. ~20* today and the engine is running in the 200-220 range with no issues. Better than I can say for my hands though.
    I fix things till they can't be fixed.

  20. #20
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man
    Pre heating the engine prior to break-in is a good idea even in warm weather. It will relieve some of the new pinch and will be easier to start. Less chance of the piston sticking at TDC and piston/sleeve wear.
    Just heat the block with a hairdryer for a couple of minutes to around 150F if possible.
    As far as getting up to the 200F mark, with some foil or sock it shouldn't take too long. Just keep an eye on the temps to make sure your not getting too hot and adjust the foil or sock as needed.
    You can breakin over any period of time you want. 1 tank a day or all 5 in one outing, makes no difference.

    PS. Was 78 degrees at my house today...Burrrr.
    Thanks for the advice, I currently just bought a brand new Revo 3.3, the new version, and I need to break it in soon, or I will go mad. Its currently about 35F here and rain - I wonder if it is possible for me to break it in without having problems when summer comes? We usualy have temps around 75-85F here in the summer.

    Any help appreciated.

    BuG

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Snook Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sugar Hill Ga.
    Posts
    8,397
    I live in South Forida and break engines in during summer months all the time
    (90F+). Just keep an eye on the temp while breaking in and you will be fine.
    If you can wait that long that is...
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    berwick, PA
    Posts
    626
    during my break in is th eONLY time i let my engine temps get a little high ill let it run for about 10 min at a temp of (roughly) 260-280. but i let it kool for a good while, now dont get me wrong i dont lean it out i just get the engine to stay warm , just so i can keep the "stress" off of the internals. plus i only do it for a tank or two. seems to be working out great so far...
    awesome power!!!
    !!!IF IT AIN'T REVO IT AINT WORTH IT!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •