RC Qualifier

water and the Velineon

from what i understand, the problem w/ the motor and water is no holes for water to get out. is this true? if so can`t u just drill holes in it? i understand that water is harder on a motor. but, the thing looks pretty sealed up to me. maybe run a little silicone around the ends? not trying to cross rivers, just like puddles and snow.
    Long live Duck Tape!

RC Champion
    it will probly be fine, butt no crossing rivers yea its plritty sealed, but it coul get some water in ,as the esc is water "resistant" not water "proof"
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

RC Champion
    I've been told that it's a "do it at your own risk" type deal by phone staff.

RC Champion
    yeah, thats what happens, you wreak it, you repair for 45 bucks, if it still works, good for you but there was a guy that ran his bl slash with velineon in snow, and had no problem
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

RC Qualifier
    I've always assumed the problem is shorting out. Water is a terrible conductor of DC current, but brushless motors are technically running on AC, and AC travels much better through water. That's why nobody really recommends running brushless motors in water, even though the VXL is water-resistant, and a few other companies offer fully-waterproofed ESCs - you're still expected to switch to a brushed motor for wet use.

The real issue here is that lots of people have an opinion or second-hand anecdote, but I've never heard from someone who's tried it themselves. They're expensive systems, so I completely sympathize, but until people actually try it you're never going to get a reliable answer.

In a box on Hwy. 64 bashin' with Bradley Youngskins!
    I've been told that it's a "do it at your own risk" type deal by phone staff.
    quoted by: bjoehandley

thats what i say!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aramid
    The real issue here is that lots of people have an opinion or second-hand anecdote, but I've never heard from someone who's tried it themselves. They're expensive systems, so I completely sympathize, but until people actually try it you're never going to get a reliable answer.

I have the system on my slash and i have ran it through the water without problems,the day i finished installing my brushless/lipo system it started to down pour and i was dieing to drive my slash so all i did was put a little electrical tape around my ESC to battery connection and a piece around the balancing port on the lipo and turned it on and let it rip. The was a ton of water on the ground and it was raining to, so from personal experience i would say unless you strait up jump it onto a pool (which i have seen done in stock form, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG9QX...eature=related) you should be good to go and have nothing to worry about.

Traxxas Marshal
    Plenty of people here have used their VXL systems in wet conditions.

As said, the VXL system is not waterproof. Do I recommend running it in wet conditions? Not really. I have heard of people frying the ESC because they came up short on a double jump and landed in a puddle of water that had accumulated. If I were to run them in wet (I'll say snowy) conditions, I would encase the ESC in a box of some sort and make some sort of shield for my motor. Without taking proper precautions to protect them, I wouldn't bother doing it at all. If something goes poof, you're not only out some money that you wouldn't have had to spend... you're also going to be sitting around waiting to get your parts back from Traxxas with a truck that you can't drive.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    but.....lets say i run a mamba max and vxl motor.........ia that good to go in snow?
    Last edited by Deezul; 12-07-2008 at 11:55 AM.

RC Qualifier
    It's a lot less good than running the VXL speed control. The Mamba Max has no water sealing whatsoever, and even has some exposed ports. The VXL controller is gasketed and said to be water-resistant. The motor may be fine, but you stand a very, very good chance of frying the Mamba.

RC Racer
    i thought i heard the mamba was sealed except the usb port?......

RC Racer
    anyone confirm the water ability of a Mamba Max vs VXL? I don't know if I want to run vxl motor/mamba combo or all vxl

vxl alot better for water. mm's smoke in water

RC Champion
    All Castle ESC's are safe for water, they're coated in a sealant.

RC Qualifier
    The MM ESC's have a light silicone based coating on the board but it is still possible to get damage by water entering via the USB port
    HPI Savage Flux
    Traxxas Slash

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bde742
    from what i understand, the problem w/ the motor and water is no holes for water to get out. is this true? if so can`t u just drill holes in it? i understand that water is harder on a motor. but, the thing looks pretty sealed up to me. maybe run a little silicone around the ends? not trying to cross rivers, just like puddles and snow.
    if the water can't get out how does it get in??
    E-REVO brushless ROCKS!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Billstmaxx
    LOL I'm making that my new signature!
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]

RC Racer
    i like mamba programability but if its going to toast itself in snow i'll go vxl

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Billstmaxx
    LoL...love the comment..