RC Racer

Tires and gear box question

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you run talons on your rusty. This weekend i bought a set talons for the rusty and things went wrong. The talons fit fine but no more than 30 mins of running them on the rusty my idler gear went out in the gear box. The only reason i got those tires is because it was a bit muddy.

I was wondering is this something to be expected when running these tires? Do i need to worry that every time i use these tires im going to be replacing the idler gear? I run a 2.5R with a 72tooth sg with the stock cb. The gear box was stock and only has maybe 30hours passed through it. This thing was completely shredded.

Needless to say this destroyed a good nice warm day to drive my rusty and the hobby shop was out on parts needed to get it running again.

Thanks in advance,
    Kicker

RC Qualifier
    mine did that too when i got my talons. Funny thing is after i replaced it, it never happened again. I also run a 72t sg and stock cb with the 2.5
    Losi 1/18 LM, Jato3.3,Revo 2.5r, Micro-t, Losi 8.

RC Racer
    It was probably just a coincidence.
    My Nitro Rustler is faster than yours.

RC Racer
    Wow...I was gonna ask about the talons.....

How do they hold up in dirt....My stock ones are done....I also have anacondas that were terrible in dirt (Street Tire Duh)........

But are the issues you guys ran into typical????

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargers Fan
    Wow...I was gonna ask about the talons.....

How do they hold up in dirt....My stock ones are done....I also have anacondas that were terrible in dirt (Street Tire Duh)........

But are the issues you guys ran into typical????

I would just recomend staying with the bow tie's for dirt. The talons did ok in the mud but when i hit dry stuff i just lost control.

As far as it being typical that's the point behind this post.

RC Champion
    How was your slipper set?
    What were you doing in the mud, ie doughnuts, wot runs while spinning them ect.?
    Has the trans been abused?

Normally this is caused by the slipper being set to tight or reckless driving. Notably the planetary gears on the rusty trans are weak. However I have heard of the idler gear going it's not that common thou.

Be sure to check the other gears teeth as they may have been affected by the stripping of the idler. Also make sure to check the holes in the tans case itself to make sure they are not ob longed or out of shape in any way. Lastly look at the slipper setting\peg\plates.

In the end thou did you have fun w\ it?
    Knowledge is useless unless one can pass it on.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    Make sure that you check your bearings also! I kept blowing idlers like crazy until I found out my trans bearings were shot. Now that I replaced my bearings, I haven't blown a idler since.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastest1inMI
    How was your slipper set?
    What were you doing in the mud, ie doughnuts, wot runs while spinning them ect.?
    Has the trans been abused?

Normally this is caused by the slipper being set to tight or reckless driving. Notably the planetary gears on the rusty trans are weak. However I have heard of the idler gear going it's not that common thou.

Be sure to check the other gears teeth as they may have been affected by the stripping of the idler. Also make sure to check the holes in the tans case itself to make sure they are not ob longed or out of shape in any way. Lastly look at the slipper setting\peg\plates.

In the end thou did you have fun w\ it?
    no wot for that day. never go above 1/2 throttle on this track, no doughnuts that day either. Just trying to keep it on the track.

Has the trans been abused? A bit. well i do like to jump this thing.

As far as the slipper goes its set just over 1/4 turn. I will pick up some new pegs for the slipper now that you brought it up just to make sure even though they seem to be fine. The plates are in good shape

I have checked all other gears and bearings. All of which seem to be fine. However i am replacing all the bearings just becouse i have it apart and it seems like a good time to just replace and not worry about them going out. I think i might replace the diff aswell. i do have one little nick in one of the teeth on it.

Maybe it was just its turn to break Never can tell but i still think im done running the talons.

for running Talon tire, go down 2t on your CB, should takecare the problem.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.